Suddenly his telepathy is back? (AVX spoilers)

#1 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

In this recent issue of AVX we see Nate Grey in the Savage land controlling some dinosaur with his telepathy and forcing it to attack Hank Pym. I just purchased issues 39-41 of New Mutants yesterday (on sale for 25 cents each) but hadn't heard that his telepathy had returned at all.

I would have preferred they started slow with him sensing emotions, then reading thoughts, then perhaps being able to create illusions and finally mind control.

Did this strike anyone else as odd?

#2 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

In this recent issue of AVX we see Nate Grey in the Savage land controlling some dinosaur with his telepathy and forcing it to attack Hank Pym. I just purchased issues 39-41 of New Mutants yesterday (on sale for 25 cents each) but hadn't heard that his telepathy had returned at all.

I would have preferred they started slow with him sensing emotions, then reading thoughts, then perhaps being able to create illusions and finally mind control.

Did this strike anyone else as odd?

Avengers vs X-Men #4 - Savage Land battle

There is two theories here:

1. Hickman gave Nate his telepathy back

2. Nate is using his telekinesis to control the raptor's motor functions.

I hoping for the first one personally, but it's mostly likely the second.

#3 Posted by The Myth (551 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing it's just an error on the writer/artist's behalf. I doubt we will be seeing Nate using his telepathy in New Mutants.

#4 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
Eh....that second theory is a bit of a stretch... Especially since it would display a fineness in his TK ability that we simply have not seen as of late. 
But then again we also have not seen him use his telepathy. But the picture generally seems to be showing him mind controlling an animal.  
If it were more complicated then that I'm sure some details would have been provided.
I'm willing to go with the Myth's comment that we will doubtfully see him using this ability anytime soon in New Mutants.
#5 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: It seems like they just wanted to get a quick shot of Nate. Just to establish him there in the conflict. Didn't do much research on him. Editorial didn't catch it.

#6 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Kallarkz: It seems like they just wanted to get a quick shot of Nate. Just to establish him there in the conflict. Didn't do much research on him. Editorial didn't catch it.

Yeah. I only picked up on it so fast because I had just purchased New Mutants and was going to read it afterwards and was curious to see how Nate is coping with his diminished abilities and all of a sudden I see him mind controlling things. 

on a side note, i hope that he continues to regain his strength in TK
#7 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

Yeah. I only picked up on it so fast because I had just purchased New Mutants and was going to read it afterwards and was curious to see how Nate is coping with his diminished abilities and all of a sudden I see him mind controlling things. on a side note, i hope that he continues to regain his strength in TK

They addressed that some what in the recent X-Position on CBR. The more he uses his TK, the stronger and more power he will regain. Like physical therapy with TK.

#8 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Kallarkz said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

Yeah. I only picked up on it so fast because I had just purchased New Mutants and was going to read it afterwards and was curious to see how Nate is coping with his diminished abilities and all of a sudden I see him mind controlling things. on a side note, i hope that he continues to regain his strength in TK

They addressed that some what in the recent X-Position on CBR. The more he uses his TK, the stronger and more power he will regain. Like physical therapy with TK.

just searched for that and looked it up. That's good to know. Glad to read that they have something planned for him. 
Also, I thought Dani had some Valkyrie  abilities. Why are they saying in that interview that she is just a normal human.
#9 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Kallarkz said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

just searched for that and looked it up. That's good to know. Glad to read that they have something planned for him. Also, I thought Dani had some Valkyrie abilities. Why are they saying in that interview that she is just a normal human.

Cause she's doesn't have mutant powers currently. Thus she's a human basically. But honestly, their X-Position didn't inspire much confidence. It doesn't seem like they have a grand plan for anyone.

#10 Posted by cennobite (365 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing his powers just took a big shock and are just slowly returning over time. Its like he is slowly recharging. I would could Elixir, Hope or Scarlet Witch fix him, him at full power could be very handy in fighting the Avengers.

#11 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@cennobite said:

I'm guessing his powers just took a big shock and are just slowly returning over time. Its like he is slowly recharging. I would could Elixir, Hope or Scarlet Witch fix him, him at full power could be very handy in fighting the Avengers.

1. He has nerve damage which is why he was limited to begin with. It has be said by DnA that his powers will return with use like physical therapy.

2. He still has his power just it was weakened due to 2 factors: being in a team book, and nerve damage from being hooked up to the Omega Machine.

3. Due to 2, Elixir really is the best choice. Not sure what Hope could do to help him, and Scarlet Witch no longer has the power to restore mutant powers. But Elixir is still on Genosha so he's not on the board currently.

4. I would love Nate to be at full power against the Avengers. He's a team buster at Shaman levels. But there is still Cable so having Nate at full power while Cable no longer has the T-O virus and has some psionic powers himself which could lead Cable to being like his former Messianic self and while having both Nate and Cable team up again would be a dream for me, it would total overkill so likelihood is that only one of them will have full power....hint: it's probably not Nate at least not as long as DnA writes New Mutants.

#12 Posted by cennobite (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah having Cable at Nate Grey's level against the Avengers would be more or less the same, if anyone should protect Hope from being killed it should be her adopted father. It would also give time for Nate to develop as a character before he gets his powers back which he probably will eventually.

#13 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@cennobite said:

Yeah having Cable at Nate Grey's level against the Avengers would be more or less the same, if anyone should protect Hope from being killed it should be her adopted father. It would also give time for Nate to develop as a character before he gets his powers back which he probably will eventually.

Doesn't mean that Nate shouldn't fight though. Nate developed a small bond with Hope so logically, he would fight for protect her as well.

NM #34 - A corny moment with Hope.
#14 Posted by tsl3161991 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Since the phoenix force is headed toward earth, I'm guessing that his full power will return either just before it arrives or right when it arrives. Personally, if I wrote the New Mutants comics I would have him keep his powers at their reduced level until the phoenix arrives on earth and then regain his full powers while fighting the phoenix by coming into contact with or feeding off of the psionic energy that makes up the phoenix. That could make sense because the phoenix gave Kid Omega back his physical form and cured Cable of the T-O virus, so it could theoretically give him back his powers.

#15 Posted by zrhodahero (31 posts) - - Show Bio

In the latest issue of new mutants, Nate uses his telepathy to scan for other minds in the same area as the team. So, i guess his tp is slowly returning to him. His telekinesis is also getting stronger, because he was able perform a stronger tk blast then before, the strongest since he had his powers reduced. Hopefully he'll continue to increase in power, and they'll drop the lame pink color of his powers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.