Follow

X-Gene Mutant

Concept » X-Gene Mutant appears in 4017 issues.

The Children of the Atom, mutants are individuals in the Marvel Universe who are born with an X-Gene that grants them superhuman abilities. Mutants mark the next step in human evolution, known as Homo Superior.

Second Generation Mutants: A Descriptive List

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

When a mutant has a child within the Marvel universe, it seems to have been pretty much a sure thing that their child would probably also be a mutant (before M-day, at least). This has, of course, been proven to be not universally true ( Quicksilver's daughter is human, as is Greydon Creed), but when it occurs the resulting offspring tends to be one of two things: essentially a copy of one of their parents' powers, and/or they turn out to be very powerful. In some cases, such as Rachel Grey, they can end up being both. With that out of the way, this is intended to be a descriptive list of sorts of second generation mutants within the X-men universe. If I've forgotten to include a character, I would very much appreciate someone pointing it out. I'm splitting the list up into two parts; the first part will be composed of the mutant offspring of two mutants, while the second will be made up of children of couples featuring only one mutant parent. Note that I am making an attempt not to list many alternate reality/time-line characters, largely because it tends to become somewhat more confusing otherwise and also due to the fact that I never read enough of the Exiles to do so properly. Basically, if they haven't entered Earth-616 at some point, I haven't included them (except for Hyperstorm).

The first group starts off with the three second-generation mutants from the Summers/Grey family- Rachel Grey, Nate Grey, and Cable (please pardon me for not including Stryfe, I'm not sure if he counts). Of note is the fact that there are actually three generations of mutants from the Summers/Grey bloodline- Rachel Grey and Franklin Richards had two children in an alternate reality, Dream Summers (who doesn't seem to have a page on this website) and Hyperstorm (the former is an empath, the latter is a dynamokinetic, among other things).
    Rachel Grey has the exact same powers as her mother, as well as bearing an essentially perfect physical likeness to her, and is also an Omega-level mutant. She originates from the Days of Future Past timeline that cropped up in X-men stories during the mid-to-late 80s, and went on to feature fairly prominently in Earth-616 events. She has about as much of a personality as her mother did, except she also has an uncomfortable complex about the fact that she doesn't exist in Earth-616, as well as an obsession of sorts with her mother. It's not stated exactly how old she would be currently in the mainstream timeline if she did have a counterpart, but since Franklin (her husband) and her seem to have been about the same age we can only assume she would be around thirteen.
    X-man (Nate Grey) is from the Age of Apocalypse, and was engineered by Sinister as the ideal result of the Summers/Grey bloodline. He was a supremely powerful telekinetic and telepath (his telekinesis was stated to be on par with the power of the Dark Phoenix), also wielding psychometry and precognition; recently, however, Nate has crossed over once again into Earth-616 (during Dark Reign) and as of New Mutants #28 he is stated as having been reduced to basic telekinesis. His Earth-616 counterpart appears to be Cable, the next mutant on the list.
    Cable is the child of Cyclops and Madelyne Pryor, and therefore is for all intents and purposes the child of Cyclops and Jean Grey. His powers are, admittedly, somewhat of a mystery to me- however, I do know that he possessed telekinesis (and, like his brother, an occasional case of glowing eye). He bears the same name as his brother Nate, and is also a result of Sinister's manipulations, but his powers are dwarfed by both his siblings. Both Cable and Nate resemble their father, but Cable to a greater degree; he also seems to have inherited Cyclops' talent for strategy. Cable bears the unique distinction of being the only Summers/Grey child from Earth-616.
    Nightcrawler needs no briefing, and is the child of Mystique and the demon lord Azazel (who is also a mutant, thank you Jeddd). He appears to be the ideal physical blend of both parents; he bears Mystique's exact pigmentation (even down to the eyes) and a few of his father's demonic attributes (while he doesn't have the traditional horns and goat legs, he has two fingers (and toes), pointed ears and a tail, as well as above human agility). Interestingly, his level of power is roughly consistent to what would be expected from the result of his parents- Mystique may be dangerous, but her abilities rank her as being Beta-level. As some of you may know (I apologize for the spoiler, if you didn't) that Nightcrawler died recently, during Second Coming. While I think this was a very odd decision on the part of the writers I'd like to remind readers that his father is a demon lord (they aren't close, but family is family). Nightcrawler is, without a doubt, the single most popular second-generation mutant on the list, possibly in the Marvel universe.
    The only other X-men specific character in the first part of the list is Nocturne, child of Nightcrawler and the Scarlet Witch from an alternate reality. She possesses her father's physical traits of blue skin, two fingers, yellow eyes and a tail, and the only thing she seems to have gotten from her mother is her hair. Her powers allow her to switch bodies with an individual, an ability which is notably different than both of her parents'. Nocturne spent a good chunk of time in Earth-616, even becoming a member of Excalibur, and developed a close relationship with Nightcrawler, who came to think of her like his daughter. Being the granddaughter of both Magneto AND Mystique, she is also a third generation mutant, and the product of two series of mutant couples.
    Existing somewhat within the X-men universe is Molly Hayes, of the Runaways. The child of Alice and Gene Hayes, both mutants with unspecified abilities, she has superhuman strength (and invulnerability) that can be accessed at the cost of energy- the more she uses her powers, the more tired she becomes. How this correlates to her parents' powers (which are, as previously stated, almost completely unknown) is unknown, except for the fact that both her and her parents' eyes glow pink when using their abilities. Both Alice and Gene have displayed some manner of telepathic abilities, as well as being phenotypically identical. There is some speculation as to whether Molly's parents are clones or siblings.

The second group is far larger than the first, and includes some fairly noteworthy individuals (along with some rather obscure characters). Polaris, the Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver make one of two groups of siblings; the Mastermind sisters ( Mastermind and Lady Mastermind, with the addition of Pixie) are the other. Legion and Nightcrawler have all played a fairly substantial part in the history of the X-men, Daken and Siryn are rather noteworthy, Wallflower was only seen within one X-men title, and Carter Ghazikhanian is barely worth mentioning. Sebastian Shaw is also listed as being a second-generation mutant, and his son Shinobi Shaw is a third-generation mutant.
    Polaris conforms to the inherited power set stereotype (she's Magneto, but not quite as powerful (I think)), and wasn't actually revealed to be Magneto's daughter until some time after 2000, despite having existed within the X-men series from way back in the first run. However, her abilities over magnetism are pretty much the only thing she seems to have inherited from Magneto; she has a secondary mutation that gives her green hair, and her personality is far gentler than her father's (although she has displayed a remarkable capacity for both cruelty and abrasiveness). 
    Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, fraternal twins, have powers that differ drastically from their fathers', but Quicksilver does bear a striking resemblance to his father (white hair, hard brow, slightly pointed eyebrows...). Their mother, while pregnant, ran away from her husband after seeing both his powers and his capacity for brutality, and thus it wasn't until the twins had become adults that the truth was discovered. In fact, the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were members of Magneto's Brotherhood for years without even the slightest suspicion that Magneto was their father. Since then, the latter has proven himself to be a horrible father.
    The Mastermind sisters are children of the original Mastermind, Jason Wyngarde (who has a fantastic last name, if I may say so) by different mothers, and bear the same abilities as he did- in Lady Mastermind's case, to a lesser degree. The two fought one another for the right to use their father's name, and the elder sister, Martinique, won, and is therefore known as Mastermind (the younger, Regan, goes by Lady Mastermind) (and they haven't really stopped fighting ever since). They've both worked with the Marauders, and have a fair level of proficiency with guns. Pixie, the more recent addition to the clan, is the child of Mastermind and what seems to be a fairy, and possesses the typical fairy phenotype of wings and pointed ears as well as a hallucinogenic 'pixie dust'. Note that all three sisters have illusion powers- the first two in the manner of their father, while Pixie's illusion abilities are of a hallucinogenic nature.
    Legion (David Haller) is the third Omega-level mutant on this list, and is the child of Charles Xavier and Gabrielle Haller- he was raised by the former, his father didn't know he existed until he'd reached teenagehood. David has Dissociative Identity Disorder, which works in tandem with his mutant ability of absorbing entire entities and take on their abilities to give him what can be summed up as super-powered split personalities. He has been enemy and, occasionally, ally to the X-men, and currently resides on Utopia, having gained the ability to function despite his mental state.
    Daken is a very strange sort of character. While he conforms to the child-parent identical powers stereotype, he doesn't seem to have gotten his father's integrity, let alone much else in terms of personality. To put it bluntly (and kindly), he's a narcissistic little jerk. He's the child of Wolverine and his wife, Itsu, who was killed by Winter Soldier during the last stages of pregnancy. While Wolverine thought his wife and child were both dead, the child survived and was saved by a mysterious stranger (dun dun duuuun) and was raised by another family. Personally, I don't find his personal history to be covincing, but that may just be me. He has bone claws, like Wolverine's originals, as well as his other powers. 
    Banshee (the second), Theresa Cassidy, is the child of Banshee (the first), and for simplicity's sake Banshee the second will herein be referee to as Siryn. She was raised by her uncle, Black Tom, and was his occasional partner in crime. When she was fifteen, Black Tom was arrested by Interpol and Siryn was sent off to live with Banshee, whom she had never met (he was off on a mission when she was born, and her mother died shortly after Siryn's birth). Yet again, Siryn has all of Banshee's powers; however, she also possesses the additional ability of being able to charm people with her voice. Whether this is, in fact, a nod to her old code name has yet to be confirmed. 
    The second most unknown character on the list is Wallflower, who like so many others inhereted her abilities from her father- the ability to control the emotions of others. Laurie Collins is the child of mutant Sean Collins (I think his name is Sean Collins...) and Gail, a woman who he used his powers to obtain; that is, until she discovered she was carrying his child. Logically, Laurie also seems to have the innate ability to be unaffected by the emotional tamperings of others, and so when Gail discovered, sometime within her first trimester, that she was pregnant, she became immune to Sean's manipulation. In a supreme show of insight, Gail reached the logical conclusion that her daughter must be superhuman, and therefore raised her daughter to be kind to others. When Laurie's powers emerged, her mother explained to her about her father, thus preventing the girl from walking the same path that he did. Her range seems to have been fairly substantial (she once caused the mass evacuation of a school), but sadly we'll probably never know exactly how powerful she could have been, as she was killed by Stryker.
    Both the youngest character on the list as well as the least known, Carter Ghazikhanian is a mutant of unspecified powers and the child of Annie Ghazikhanian, who was a nurse at Xavier's and one-time love interest of Havok. He has displayed the ability to levitate (and most likely create) complex light structures, as well as various other feats that hint towards reality manipulation powers. This has been unconfirmed, as him and his mother existed pretty much solely as plot devices and were written out of the comics they appeared in within fairly short order. Whether he was depowered on M-day remains unknown.
     Sebastian Shaw is, unexpectedly, a second generation mutant. He has the power to absorb any and all forms of kinetic energy (which probably makes him resistant to Gambit's powers), which he uses to enhance his speed, strength and stamina. While not invulnerable, he is adept at using his abilities to largely compensate for his weaknesses. Shaw has appeared in the X-men universe for years as the Black King of the Hellfire Club, and made appearances even when he didn't hold the title. Ruthless, ambitious and genuinely hard-working, he thirsts for power and control above all else, and is willing to go to nearly any means to get it. However, he's not completely inhuman- he fell in love with a woman named Lourdes Chantel (a teleporter, seemingly small-range), and was left heartbroken after her death, and was hurt at some level by Emma Frost's betrayal. 
    Shinobi Shaw is the illegitimate child of Sebastian Shaw and an unknown woman (she doesn't even seem to have a name...). Insecure and cruel, his power is (fittingly) molecular density manipulation, which he usually uses to make himself intangible. Trevor Fitzroy is stated to be a descendant of his.

An honorable mention goes out to Bishop Chamber and Blink, who have mutant ancestors.

The_Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By The_Myth

Good analysis there!!! ;)

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dakens son

That's an impressive research buddy!!
    keep up !!!

Jeddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeddd

What about Molly Hayes? She fits into the first part. And isn't Nightcrawler technically the son of two mutants?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Myth: Thank you!
    @Dakens son: Thanks, I try :)
    @Jeddd: Oh crap, you're right, I forgot about her. Adding her as we speak. Also, Nightcrawler's dad isn't said to be a mutant, just a demon thingie.
    Jeddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jeddd
    @Squares: I'm pretty sure Azazel is a mutant, he's described as the leader of the Neyaphem, who are an ancient race of mutants. Why else would all of his children be mutants as well? Like Kiwi Black and Abyss.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By labarith

Wolverine's got quite a few kids/clones/etc. 

X23 is a clone, mostly identicle to Wolverine.   More or less the same powers, but with a "more powerful" (due to age?) healing factor and 2 hand claws and 1 foot claw for some reason.  No pheromone powers as far as we know.
    Wolverine had a daughter in AOA, who recently died in Uncanny X-Force.  I think she had about the same powers.
    Daken - Wolverine's done, basically the same powers but, again, a "more powerful" healing factor, 3 claws in each arm but weird, and advanced pheromone powers.... he can essentially attract anyone - male or female - and use these to (sexually?)  confuse others. 
    "The Mongrels" - 5 of wolverine's children, seemingly w/o powers (although one was big and sabertooth-esque), who he killed not knowing they were his children.  It is possible that they were powered before M Day...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@labarith said:
    Wolverine's got quite a few kids/clones/etc.  X23 is a clone, mostly identicle to Wolverine.   More or less the same powers, but with a "more powerful" (due to age?) healing factor and 2 hand claws and 1 foot claw for some reason.  No pheromone powers as far as we know.Wolverine had a daughter in AOA, who recently died in Uncanny X-Force.  I think she had about the same powers.Daken - Wolverine's done, basically the same powers but, again, a "more powerful" healing factor, 3 claws in each arm but weird, and advanced pheromone powers.... he can essentially attract anyone - male or female - and use these to (sexually?)  confuse others. "The Mongrels" - 5 of wolverine's children, seemingly w/o powers (although one was big and sabertooth-esque), who he killed not knowing they were his children.  It is possible that they were powered before M Day...
    I'm not counting clones. Daken is already on the list. I'm not including AoA or other alternate reality/timeline characters unless they've prominently crossed into mainstream reality. I didn't know about the mongrels, thank you for letting me know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeddd said:
    @Squares: I'm pretty sure Azazel is a mutant, he's described as the leader of the Neyaphem, who are an ancient race of mutants. Why else would all of his children be mutants as well? Like Kiwi Black and Abyss.
    I'll double check. Being a mutant does not mean you will have mutant children, I thought I pointed that out in the post.
    Jeddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jeddd
    @Squares: Well yes, but the Neyaphem are described as mutants. He's the leader so...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeddd said:
    @Squares: Well yes, but the Neyaphem are described as mutants. He's the leader so...
    Like I said, I'll double check.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeddd: Yep, he's a mutant. Thank you.
    Jeddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeddd

Apparently pixie is a second gen mutant also: daughter of Mastermind. Sorry I don't mean to keep annoying you with my posts

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mutant God

theres also Ruby the alternative daughter of Cyclops and Emma Frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeddd: Holy crap, you're right! Gah, I even remember reading that comic! This is embarassing :P
    @Mutant God: NOT including alternate reality characters.
    Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mutant God: Thanks! Due to the fact that I only just recently started reading comics (about a year ago), I haven't really experienced much of the Marvel universe outside the X-men. Mentioning characters from other series is greatly appreciated!

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Timandm

@labarith said:

Wolverine's got quite a few kids/clones/etc. X23 is a clone, mostly identicle to Wolverine. More or less the same powers, but with a "more powerful" (due to age?) healing factor and 2 hand claws and 1 foot claw for some reason. No pheromone powers as far as we know.Wolverine had a daughter in AOA, who recently died in Uncanny X-Force. I think she had about the same powers.Daken - Wolverine's done, basically the same powers but, again, a "more powerful" healing factor, 3 claws in each arm but weird, and advanced pheromone powers.... he can essentially attract anyone - male or female - and use these to (sexually?) confuse others. "The Mongrels" - 5 of wolverine's children, seemingly w/o powers (although one was big and sabertooth-esque), who he killed not knowing they were his children. It is possible that they were powered before M Day...

Regarding Laura's healing factor, it's not actually more powerful than Logan's. She does heal faster than him but that's because his healing is slowed down by the adamantium laced to his entire skeleton. So, he's constantly suffering adamantium poisoning, but his healing factor deals with it... When Magneto ripped the admantium out of Logan's body, his healing speed went WAY up... So, she does give him a hard time about him 'healing too slow' but HIS bones aren't breakable, whereas hers are...

Regarding the mongrels, that was sad. Someone in here, in one of the forums, had once raised the question about Logan having lots of children... I can't remember who it was, but I was thinking, "Nooo, he's wise enough to use protection." Apparently not. So, considering that his nearly two hundred years old, it's possible that we'll be seeing children of Wolverine pop up often...

@Jeddd said:

Apparently pixie is a second gen mutant also: daughter of Mastermind. Sorry I don't mean to keep annoying you with my posts

What about Pixie's mom? I've not seen a clear explanation of exactly who or what she is... Is she an elf? Some kind of magical creature? how old is she?

Jeddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeddd

@Timandm: She's not a mutant, pretty sure she's a fairy (or some odd spelling of the same word). Not sure how old she is, why does it matter?

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Timandm

@Jeddd said:

@Timandm: She's not a mutant, pretty sure she's a fairy (or some odd spelling of the same word). Not sure how old she is, why does it matter?

Oh, it doesn't "Matter" for any particular reason... I'm just curious... IS she a faery (faerie, fairy)? Is she an Elf? She appears to be old, so if she IS a long lived creature (like an elf or fairy might be) AND she appears to be old, does this mean she's been around for thousands of years? Also, if she's a fairy or elf, has she passed down any of these traits to Pixie. Pixie has pointed ears. Now, at first it seemed that was simply part of her mutation, but neither of her sisters has a Fairy like appearance. Perhaps Pixie takes after her mother more than the sisters do, and if so she might have whatever powers Faeries have. It could be rather kewl.

I liked Pixie from the beginning, when she first appeared in The New X-Men. She LOOKED like a pixie and acted like one. She was sweet, innocent, naive and fun... I always remember the following scene from New X-Men 42

No Caption Provided

The writers have made her one of the more important members of the X-Men. The fact that she can now use magic (and seems to have an unlimited teleportation ability) Opens up a great deal of possibilities for her in the future. I can't help but wonder, what if she also has the inherent powers of Faeries?

So, that's why I was curious about her mother.

I also considered the possibility that her mother is actually a Mutant, meaning Pixie would be the offspring of two mutants. So, are there some ramifications there? So far the only offspring of two mutants that we've seen are from Jean and Scott, or Scott and Maddie (Jean's clone) and they've all been uber-powerful... It could be interesting.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By fesak  Moderator

You could mention Clan Akkaba who are descendants of Apocalypse.
    Blink and Chamber are part of this bloodline.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mutant God: Have decided to restrict the list to the X-men universe. Keeps things simpler.
    @Timandm: Well, Nightcrawler is the child of two mutants, as is Nocturne, but I see what you mean. There doesn't seem to be any special significance to having two mutant parents, and it certainly doesn't seem to indicate great power; if one looks at a list of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel universe, only two of them have two mutant parents. Fairies are traditionally able to use magic (as are descendants of Rasputin :P). Note that in some media fairies have the ability to create a glamor, an illusion of sorts that makes them look appealing to humans.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Timandm

@Squares said:

@Mutant God: Have decided to restrict the list to the X-men universe. Keeps things simpler.
    @Timandm: Well, Nightcrawler is the child of two mutants, as is Nocturne, but I see what you mean. There doesn't seem to be any special significance to having two mutant parents, and it certainly doesn't seem to indicate great power; if one looks at a list of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel universe, only two of them have two mutant parents. Fairies are traditionally able to use magic (as are descendants of Rasputin :P). Note that in some media fairies have the ability to create a glamor, an illusion of sorts that makes them look appealing to humans.

Yeah, the only examples I think of where there are two mutant parents are the children of Scott and Jean, or Scott and Maddie... However, those are all very powerful... Nate Grey, Cable, Rachel, Stryfe... So, it's not enough info. to tell if all mutants with two mutant parents are powerful, but it's a possibility...

It's interesting, as you pointed out, that traditionally Fairies are able to use magic and in some media can create illusions of sort, since this is Pixie's mutation AND the fact that she can use magic. Yes that's 'supposedly' due to the fact that the part of her soul that was taken in Limbo and replaced with Dark Magic. Perhaps, she would have eventually been able to use magic anyways... There are some interesting possibilities... But then I've sort of digressed from your point. Sorry...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fesak: Had forgotten about Blink, thank you. 
    @Timandm: Well, one has to consider exactly what it is that allows one to utilize the sort of magic Pixie's teleportation spell falls under.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Timandm

@Squares said:

@fesak: Had forgotten about Blink, thank you.
    @Timandm: Well, one has to consider exactly what it is that allows one to utilize the sort of magic Pixie's teleportation spell falls under.

Another good point. So, it's likely just as the writers have laid it out, she's able to use (at least the spell that Illyana taught her) because of the magic that replaced the part of her missing soul...

It'll be interesting to see if she has some other form of magic that is inherent...

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dakens son

@Squares said:

@Jeddd: Oh crap, you're right, I forgot about her. Adding her as we speak. Also, Nightcrawler's dad isn't said to be a mutant, just a demon thingie.

Nightcrawler's father actually is a mutant from biblical times.

he is some kind of a mutant demon!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dakens son said:

@Squares said:

Nightcrawler's father actually is a mutant from biblical times.

he is some kind of a mutant demon!

Yes, thank you, that was verified and added.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.