Follow

X-Force

Team » X-Force appears in 1999 issues.

When Cable reformed the New Mutants, he made them his soldiers. They became a mutant "black ops" team, assigned to kill not just the enemies of the X-Men, but of all mutantkind. Although this team eventually disbanded, the X-Force moniker has persisted in successive iterations of more and more aggressive X-teams.

X-force to be cancelled according to a report

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HAWK2916

So according to another site X-force by Si Spurrier is going to be cancelled probably around issues 14 or 15. Personally I thought the book was pretty good with more strong issues than weak ones. Spurrier feels like a bit of a throw back to Claremont in my opinion. Sometimes i think the guy gets borderline silly and zany with some of his stuff, which Im not necessarily a huge fan of, but all in all he's a pretty good writer. It's just quite a bit of content in his books and you end up feeling like you at least got you money's worth in dialogue, instead of the blank pages some writers choose to foist on us.

I can't understand how this book as well as X-factor are being cancelled while books like Nightcrawler are still around, WATX is being rebooted yet again and turned into Spiderman and the Xmen, and the directionless All new Xmen continues to be pushed. The writing in both X-factor and X-force is clearly superior to many others but the sales dont reflect that.

The only thing I can come up with, is that perhaps people are tired of the X-force direction and the fringe book that is X-factor. Most of us here hate having all these crossovers and events and for the most part these books dont take part in the events. I dont know now if that has helped or hurt them in this instance because it may have contributed to the books not being seen as mainstream. The kill-squad direction of X-force may be getting old and starting to wear on people though. It's not like we have that many villains threatening mutants anymore, since the focus is mostly on heroes vs heroes, so is there still really a need for Xforce? Maybe both the X-factor and X-force concepts just need a break. I think X-factor made a mistake in rebooting/renumbering whatever. I think it should have just continued and maybe added a few new members. (or I could blame it all on Cypher- when he joins a book it's usually soon after cancelled). X-force being rebooted into two books then back to one may have hurt it as well. I just dont see to many villains left to kill anymore. Now the old school stop trouble before it starts could possibly work but i don't know, isn't the proactive revolutionary team supposed to fill some of that role?

My other thought of course drifted to the team members themselves. People seem to hate Hope, so anything with her in it has a bit of negative backlash to it. I still think there are some good stories that can be done with her but the mysteries surrounding her have just become downright aggravating at this point. Coupled with the way she's just a walking plot device. Psylocke's portayal wasn't the best but that could be explained away. The inclusion of Fantomex is just a travesty. Part of me would cancel the book just because of that lol. Marrow could be interesting but definitely not mainstream. I dont know how much more cable people can take or deal with. I mean I dont hate the guy but I can't figure what his purpose in anything is right now. Hell maybe he can go be the new Juggernaut lol. Nemesis is just an irrelevant joke to me at this point. I guess if they brought in Deadpool it would help with the sales right? I just don't know if it's a smart strategy on the part of either Spurrier or David with Xfactor for that matter to think that they can take any characters and put them together to sell books. Plus Magneto in my opinion is doing more X-force stuff than X-force is. I guess if you somehow combined and formed a team of Magneto, Cable, Psylocke, Domino and Marrow doing the stuff Mags is doing in his book, it could be interesting. Who knows?

I kind of hate that X-force is now being cancelled. I do think there are a number of factors that have gone into the low sales numbers including impatience on Marvel's part in addition to some of the weird looking art and the factors I mentioned before. Either way to see this book and X-factor go is not the best news in the world for me. Especially when certain books and concepts continue to get chance after chance and are crammed down our throats.

Any Thoughts?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even know there was an X-Force book currently coming out

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Great..... We're probably going to get the Teen Jean Grey solo nobody asked for....

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this justifies another question. How important is a strong premise? I dont think the premise of this book was strong at all and I questioned the premise for X-factor because of the same reasons. That said I've also been pretty vocal about the premise of All new Xmen, so what do i know. lol

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Koays

Wow. I just.....I think i need a minute.

So rather then try to increase sales with crossovers or guest appearances. Rather then have the more popular books reference them and build a larger profile for the book...they cancel it. Leaving us with Amazing, Spiderman and the X-Men, and a ungodly amount of solos as supplemental books for when Uncanny isn't coming out.

Smh. I get that marvel may need to cut cost with all of its projects coming out, but i would think if your going to cut some thing it'd make sense for it to be the poorly written book. I mean this is just.....smh.

By no means was X-Force the best book, but it was solid every issue, had character development, awesome art, and multiple plotlines. It is like the perfect formula for how a book with multiple characters should be written well. And more over when you can make Fantomex an interesting factor, while giving Hope Summers some sort of plot line beyond "Mutant Messiah"...there has to be some credit given.

I just....I give up.....Call me when the Jean Grey Solo comes out so i can start taking selfies with the $3.99 I'm not spending on it.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really haven't enjoyed any iteration of X-Force since Uncanny X-Force Vol.1 ended in December 2012.

I found this latest iteration to be especially poor, in part due to awful, awful art, in part due to a pretty lame-ass narrative that just seemed irrelevant. Oh, and the cast.... I just don't like the cast that much. I used to like Cable, Fantomex and Psylocke.

Cable's been dragged down by his connection with Hope.

I have no idea what's been going on with Fantomex.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They shoulda kept Cable & X-force going.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By John Valentine

@rickbarry said:

They shoulda kept Cable & X-force going.

Another pointless book with an uninspired cast and crappy plots? Yeah, well worth $3.99 and issue.

X-Force is like the Expendables of the comic book world.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: @hawk2916 hope summers shouldnt be in a book like x-force. i thought she was going to join the avengers after avx. also she should be in uncanny to make some troublr for cyclops not cable.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: whatever happened to x-men legacy? are they bringing that back? another reboor of x-force or x-factor i cant take it anymore. amazing and nightcrawler as well as ANXM i think are considered baby books. disney is making everything babish and less violent.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: @hawk2916hope summers shouldnt be in a book like x-force. i thought she was going to join the avengers after avx. also she should be in uncanny to make some troublr for cyclops not cable.

I thought so too at first, and then again with the whole Fantomex thing. But I think exploring the character this way is pretty cool, since she's not just Cable's side kick and it doesn't seem like she's useless on the team.

She's contributing to the story as more then just a plot point, but also with character development....and thats more then she was doing in Generation Hope.

And i actually think if their was another book set at the New Xavier School it would be cool if it was just about the kids, so maybe then we could get 2 or 3 students (including Hope) to go there and fill out the roster. But shoving anymore characters into Uncanny while Bendis plans on using the entire X-Men line up as the main cast is just to much.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

It's been know to be ending for quite a while now. It has been one of the weakest X-Force runs in a long time, so I'm glad it's ending. Simon Spurrier is one of the best writers on the X-books and X-Force doesn't work with his style of story telling at all.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Simon Spurrier is one of the best writers on the X-books and X-Force doesn't work with his style of story telling at all.

Hmmmm, maybe. His Legacy was a lot better.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was actually considering picking this series up. Looks like I'll just wait 'til it's over and read it all at once.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It was the 58th ranked Marvel title in September based on sales. I don't blame them for cancelling it.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Mm. Because sales are an infallible indication of content quality? *insert eye roll here pls*

Anyways, lol, not much point in staving off the inevitable or drudging one's self in delusive denial. What will be will be. I've loved this title. It's been a monumental blast and i hope it's purported end doesn't spell the cessation of Spurrier on the X-Books. This man is a rare-breed--if given commensurate pull and priority, i feel he could have been up there in pantheons with Claremont and Morrison (lol not forgetting anyone). Each issue was electricity.

I can't fault him or this not-your-run-of-the-mill slapdash cast. Poor sales are as a result of insufficient promotion and Marvel's general indifference when it comes to titles and characters who aren't pumping out the $$$s on sight, and that's solely what they're all about these days. It's also symptomatic of a malady that the general CB market have been unknowingly stricken with. The masses are subsisting on a diet of convoluted cross-overs nauseatingly lauded about as being the next big game-changer despite the lack of heart, thought and creative effort put into its execution in addition to a myriad of others things that just shouldn't be happening while being backed with poor justifications.

Heart and passion be damned. Respect for the characters they're handling be damned. Respect for creative cohesion be damned. Respect for the bloody fans be damned, because, guess what--come rain come shine, those noobs will still be giving us the money we need to pump this trite out. On a more serious note, thank God for Kamala Khan's Ms. Marvel.

X-Force was an amazing title, the scales just haven't fallen from many eyes and unfortunately they never will.

Meanwhile we're stuck with Bendis and his fake revolution and those time-displaced boobs.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mm. Because sales are an infallible indication of content quality? *insert eye roll here pls*

Anyways, lol, not much point in staving off the inevitable or drudging one's self in delusive denial. What will be will be. I've loved this title. It's been a monumental blast and i hope it's purported end doesn't spell the cessation of Spurrier on the X-Books. This man is a rare-breed--if given commensurate pull and priority, i feel he could have been up there in pantheons with Claremont and Morrison (lol not forgetting anyone). Each issue was electricity.

I can't fault him or this not-your-run-of-the-mill slapdash cast. Poor sales are as a result of insufficient promotion and Marvel's general indifference when it comes to titles and characters who aren't pumping out the $$$s on sight, and that's solely what they're all about these days. It's also symptomatic of a malady that the general CB market have been unknowingly stricken with. The masses are subsisting on a diet of convoluted cross-overs nauseatingly lauded about as being the next big game-changer despite the lack of heart, thought and creative effort put into its execution in addition to a myriad of others things that just shouldn't be happening while being backed with poor justifications.

Heart and passion be damned. Respect for the characters they're handling be damned. Respect for creative cohesion be damned. Respect for the bloody fans be damned, because, guess what--come rain come shine, those noobs will still be giving us the money we need to pump this trite out. On a more serious note, thank God for Kamala Khan's Ms. Marvel.

X-Force was an amazing title, the scales just haven't fallen from many eyes and unfortunately they never will.

Meanwhile we're stuck with Bendis and his fake revolution and those time-displaced boobs.

We get that you hate Bendis. We get that you hate crossovers, how original.

But Spurrier's run on X-Force has been plagued with a lack of clear focus and mischaracterisation. Definitely not his best work. To top it off, the art is f&*king terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@koays said:

I just....I give up.....Call me when the Jean Grey Solo comes out so i can start taking selfies with the $3.99 I'm not spending on it.

This is without a doubt the best thing I've read all day.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather read a book about Cable's team rather than a solo for every one of the O5 ( Except Cyclops, cuz it's an awesome book ).

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather read a book about Cable's team rather than a solo for every one of the O5 ( Except Cyclops, cuz it's an awesome book ).

Meh, I've decided that I actually pick up way too many titles. While the art in this one is different and not my normal cup of tea it's also refreshing that they're trying a different style that works with the sort of head game they have going on. It's a little bit psychedelic at times but that's ok and I don't mind something a little different in my reading. It's oddly refreshing.

With that said, I'd agree with @avenger85 that I'd rather read this than a pile of solos for the o5.

(Waiting for the hipster condemnation troll)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally somebody that feels the same way I do about all these damned solos!!!

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: Say what you like, but it's the been the best iteration since Remender left. Also...what books have a point in Marvel Now? They're all lacking.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@john_valentine: Let's just say you, like many others, have decided to denounce the potential enjoyment you may receive from such an esoteric title like this right off the bat simply because it didn't adhere to your preconceived notions of what the standard X-Comic should be. And that's fine, but it's better to see the forest for the trees and endeavor to give endorsements like these a second chance. And as far as I can tell, i'm gonna presumptuously say that you simply have not done that.

It takes a lot of patience to appreciate the intricacies and craft behind his product, but as i've discovered it's worth the endurance. I, too, thought that Spurrier's X-Force was a pile of dung upon first reading and was ready to drop it as of the third issue, but I decided it wouldn't have been fair to write him off without valid reasoning and so I took a plunge again and found that this guy was delivering just about everything I feel the X-Books as of late have been lacking.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: Let's just say you, like many others, have decided to denounce the potential enjoyment you may receive from such an esoteric title like this right off the bat simply because it didn't adhere to your preconceived notions of what the standard X-Comic should be. And that's fine, but it's better to see the forest for the trees and endeavour to give endorsements like these a second chance. And as far as I can tell, i'm gonna presumptuously say that you simply have not done that.

It's take a lot of patience to appreciate the intricacies and craft behind his product, but as i've discovered it's worth the endurance. I, too, thought that Spurrier's X-Force was a pile of dung upon first reading and was ready to drop it as of the third issue, but I decided it wouldn't have been fair to write him off without valid reasoning and so I took a plunge again and found that this guy was delivering just about everything I feel the X-Books as of late have been lacking.

Lol, pretentious much?

I'd love to take what you're taking.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wanna see M and hope in a brawl.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, well looks like the only X-Books I am pulling right now are getting canned. Good-bye X-Men, it was a good 15 year run.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

Hmm, well looks like the only X-Books I am pulling right now are getting canned. Good-bye X-Men, it was a good 15 year run.

Hey! The jerk store just called. They said they're running out of you!

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Another cancellation? Ugh...I'm glad Magneto will continue...lol.

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

X-Force has glimmers of brilliance, but it could be better. I really like what he's done with Fantomex and the 'twists' with Marrow and MeMe, but his general characterizations have been very hokey and gimmicky. I want this book to continue with someone else doing the dialogue, someone else doing the art, and never featuring the ridiculous ForgetMeNot character ever again.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By adamTRMM

I'm inclined to agree with hurricane Spurrier is a writer that may not be everybody's cup of tea since he has a very peculiar style, but if we're talking about the current condition (lol this term is slowly becoming nominal) I have no idea how people are not paying attention to satellite books that right now exceed the so called flagships by far, both creatively and directionally. There's no denial, the cast of this book is extremely problematic and the unwillingness of editorial to let Cable evolve past semi-cyborgish kick of the 90s with most convoluted ways of repeating that cycle with him doesn't help as well. But how can an X-fan entirely reject something that has at least an original take on its premise. I really don't get it. Yeah, they're black ops, but as for now Spurrier doesn't reiterate K/Y's, Remender's or Liefeld's take, he does it his own way and for now, I more than respect that.

It's not like he's beyond criticism, I have my own points to raise and Spurrier-speak can be over the top at times, but realistically - the guy made me tolerate Fantomex, and seeing him deconstructed from issue to issue maybe not as enjoyable as not seeing him at all, but saying it isn't a formidable achievement would be a lie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Tis a shame, huge fan of Spurrier.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.