X-Force movie?

#1 Posted by Boxinbeard (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone out there think Fox would take a gamble on an X-Force movie down the road, I think it would be great to see on the silver screen but I think the only way it would work is if they geared it for an older audience possibly pushing an R rating. Any thoughts?

#2 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Boxinbeard: I think it depends on which X-force you're talking about, but I think it could be quite good.

Enough people recognize the X-men that you could do a spin off movie with Wolverine's X-force that could lead into a Utopia era X-men movie pretty easily. Could rejuvenate the whole franchise.

#3 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#4 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought there was going to be a show..

#5 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it would ever happen. The only super hero R rated movie I can think of was War Zone. That movie was fun and had excellent action but soooo bad at everything else. I think its possible but only way in the future. Like you mentioned it would have to be for an older audience because the R rating would make producers and backers nervous because it would cut off a large majority of people who would see it. I would love to see a movie based on the Apocalypse solution story line.

#6 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if they do reboot the X-Men movie-verse with Days of Future Past. Essentially it would be a violent X-Men movie away from the school. Then again even in the comics the school was never really a school until the first X-Men movie.

#7 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in the cards. Unless it can be made for an ultra-low budget and in some way appeal to the R rated crowd it's not going to happen.

#8 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

In order to do it, they would have to make it R-rated or M-rated depending on what country you live in. That won't happen because it's all about merchandise and merchandise has to be geared to the young-uns.

So no, it won't/shouldn't happen. If it's PG-13 --- then it's not X-Force.

#9 Edited by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

This is precisely what I said about a Deadpool movie as well. Could be fun to watch, but I'd rather it not happen than happen in the wrong way.

And critically-praised R-rated comic movies don't seem to fare financially well. Look at what happened to Dredd at the box office.

#10 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@lykopis said:

This is precisely what I said about a Deadpool movie as well. Could be fun to watch, but I'd rather it not happen then happen in the wrong way.

And critically-praised R-rated comic movies don't seem to fare financially well. Look at what happened to Dredd at the box office.

That's right. It's part of the reason why I knew better than to hope the upcming Wolverine movie would be rated R. The character is ruthless and murderous but holding true to the character would necessitate an audience restricted to the 18 year old plus group and that means no moola for the production company (of which Hugh Jackman partly owns). I am resigned to it but if all comic characters/teams go in that direction, it'll be tough to not moan and groan about it.

Good point about Deadpool, I completely agree.

#11 Edited by CTG (229 posts) - - Show Bio

As some others have said, X-Force by nature has always dealt w/ the underbelly of the mutant universe. While I don't think that'd work as a movie, it could be an amazing television show for FX - who already have a history of very adult, gritty shows (ie The Shield). Remender's run on UXF was very, very, character driven and that's an ideal blueprint for good television.

One thing to remember here is that a television show would likely connect to the Marvel Cinematic Universe similar to the SHIELD show in production - so some liberties could be taken.

More than likely they'd have to drop Wolverine since Jackman is now 100% associated w/ that character and he'd be too expensive to have him as a regular. Same situation w/ Storm. The team would have to be comprised of characters who either have never appeared in the movies or have had very minor roles. Psylocke could still be the main focus and is a very marketable television archetype - attractive, asian female fighter. The rest of the team could be made up of characters who wouldn't need much in the way of CG animation - so Spiral is out, as is Angel. I think they could do well w/ a roster mixed of characters from the newer X-Force runs. Something like Psylocke, Warpath, Elixir, Fantomex, and Gambit. I added Gambit instead of someone like Puck since he doesn't rely on strength or stabbing weapons to get the job done - instead using his obvious kinetic abilities and charm. His ability to charm others to his will is something that can't be understated for a television series that need as much as they can get w/o using CG.

Elixir would serve as the viewers voice through the series. He could be portrayed exactly as he was in his X-Force run - experienced, but still the lowest on the totem pole and a bit naive to this darker side of the X-Men universe.

Another female would probably be needed and the natural choice would be X-23. The only concern w/ her is she could come off as a gimmick to those who are only familiar w/ X-Men through the movies. An alternate could be Domino as her luck powers wouldn't need much in the way of CG and could be an awesome wrinkle for the show, but she also heavily uses guns which mirrors Fantomex. Hope has too much baggage to add to the team - though it'd make for an awesome arc at some point.

My final roster: Psylocke (leader), Warpath (brute), Elixir (viewer connection), Gambit (stealthy playboy), and Domino (additional female, luck powers bring wrinkle) w/ Fantomex and X-23 being reoccurring roles here and there. And let's be honest Summer Glau would be an awesome X-23. Ironically enough Lena Headey would be an awesome Domino.

Villain wise, go w/ the Purifiers. Again, overall a low budget option w/ big potential. Could even use the Guild of Thieves/Assassins down the road.

And course Bishop. I don't think you can do an X-Force show w/o Bishop showing up at some point.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.