X-Force confusion

#1 Posted by ez__gibberish__a1 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, it's been a while, since around Knightfall started and Maxx first came out.

I like Cable and Psylocke ;-) most of all.

I've gotten some stuff, but wondering how it relates? I remember being pretty confused long ago as well, choosing the X-men most resembling the cartoon and occasional an X-Factor/Force/Cable.

Can you tell me which of the following are related, without spoilers? Maybe 3 are from "Earth ###" and the rest the normal world?

Cable/X-force Messiah War

Cable and X-force

Uncanny X-Force of 2010 and of 2012

Fear Itself Uncanny X-Force

X-Force Age of Apocalypse

#2 Posted by MrPsycho (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@eza1: When you say you've gotten some stuff but wondering how it relates, what have you read?

Messiah war is quite good, and it has both cable and X-force in it. However to truly get to grips with whats happening, it helps if you read House of M and Messiah Complex first.

From there you can finish the messiah trilogy by reading second coming, which leads pretty healthily to Remenders Uncanny X-force, which is a really good run and psylocke is part of the team. Fear Itself uncanny X-force is part of the fear itself crossover and Ive got lying on the shelf unread so cant tell you about that haha.

#3 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@eza1: If you like Cable and Psylocke the best, you'd probably be interested to know that they recently each got their own X-force titles, "Cable and the X-force" and "Uncanny X-force", respectively. I've read the first issue of Psylocke's, it's mostly her and Storm, it was quite good and I think it'll be a lot of fun.

#4 Posted by ez__gibberish__a1 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I need Cable 1-15 and at least House of M 1-8?

I haven't read any Marvel yet, only Cyberforce and Batman so far, but I have/in the mail the following:

Cable and X-Force (2012) 1-3

X-Force/Cable Messhiah War 1

X-Force (2008 3rd Series) 14A

Psylocke 1, 4 of 4

Uncanny X-Force (2010 Marvel) 5.1

Uncanny X-Force (2013 2nd Series) 1A

Exiles (2001) 91

Exiles (2001) 95

Fear Itself Uncanny X-Force (2011 Marvel) 1-3

New Exiles (2008 Marvel) 9

X-Men Sword of the Braddocks (2009) 0

Age of Apocalypse 1

Thanks

#5 Posted by MrPsycho (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@eza1: The X-force books themselves are relatively self contained, however reading House of M and messiah complex wouldnt go amiss considering you want Messiah War. Tbh its a relatively important event for all post 2005- mutant books because of what happened.

#6 Posted by ez__gibberish__a1 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

How relevant is Avengers v X-men to the current Cable and X-Force and Uncanny X-Force?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I ruined Robotech season 1 and BSG season 4 looking at wikis, don't want to know too much before hand...

#7 Posted by CTG (229 posts) - - Show Bio

Avenger vs. X-Men (AvX), while flawed, sets up the landscape of all the current X-Men related books as well as many on the Avengers side. IMO it's also a very important read because of the divide it caused between fans. The more conversations you become involved w/ on any comic book forum, you'll find those who are pro-Cyclops and those who are against - this is due to how AvX was written. Depending on your stance, you'll look at many of the current X-Men related books in different ways. IMO it's a very exciting time.

So AvX is very important.

I'd suggest you read these events in this order to get caught up (note, you don't have to read the tie-ins - just the main arcs)

• House of M
  • Messiah Complex
  • Messiah War
  • Schism
  • AvX

Those will get you caught up to the current X-Men landscape. Whatever you do - DON'T wiki AvX. It's very important to read it for yourself and develop your own stance on the events.

If you want to just read some good X-Men related books you can't go wrong w/ Uncanny X-Force Vol.1, which just ended a month or so ago. It's very self-contained so you don't have to worry about picking up other books to keep up. And it's just amazing. It really is. Uncanny X-Force Vol. 2 just started and is only at issue 1 right now.

#8 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you can skip AvsX if you want, it's not that great. I think the AvsX: Consequences mini series would get you more up to date, really, and it's a lot better.

#9 Posted by CTG (229 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Being great isn't the point. Overall, I dislike it for sloppy and weak writing. However, if someone is trying to catch up on the current mutant landscape of the MU, it's completely irresponsible to tell them not to read AvX.

Again, it's not the best written event, but like it or not it's a necessary read - especially since so much of it's fallout is up to an individual's interpretation of events.

#10 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@CTG: I honestly think you can get everything you "need" to know about it from the 'Consequences mini series, and read a better comic book while doing so.

#11 Posted by CTG (229 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: The Consequences mini-series is just that - consequences of the AvX event. How is one supposed to comprehend and develop their own "whose at fault" opinion from Consequences? Everyone knows the events of AvX are highly up to interpretation. Skipping it expecting Consequences to fill in all the blanks is irresponsible advice to give.

#12 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@CTG said:

@dangallant984: The Consequences mini-series is just that - consequences of the AvX event. How is one supposed to comprehend and develop their own "whose at fault" opinion from Consequences? Everyone knows the events of AvX are highly up to interpretation. Skipping it expecting Consequences to fill in all the blanks is irresponsible advice to give.

That's fair.

but just because something is controversial doesn't mean it's good, and I don't think a comic book is important if it's not good, except, perhaps, by it's consequences.

I know that some people think that Cyclops becoming Apocalypse was important, but I read that story, and it sucked. Therefore, I could never, in good conscience recommend it to someone else. For me, AvsX is much the same.

And, ultimately, it just wasn't what I liked about the X-men or the Avengers.

#13 Posted by ez__gibberish__a1 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

If a character changed into another please use spoiler tags.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.