Follow

X-Force

Team » X-Force appears in 1997 issues.

When Cable reformed the New Mutants, he made them his soldiers. They became a mutant "black ops" team, assigned to kill not just the enemies of the X-Men, but of all mutantkind. Although this team eventually disbanded, the X-Force moniker has persisted in successive iterations of more and more aggressive X-teams.

X-Force #18 REVIEWED

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I have to say that I really enjoy the X-Force comic.  I love what Chris Yost and Craig Kyle are doing with the characters.  When Mike Choi and Sonia Oback are on art, it's just that much sweeter.  Are you happy with what happened to Boom Boom?  What about X-23?  Is she going to be the same after this issue?

Did you like this issue?  What do you think of the creative team on this issue?  Do you like having so many subplots here?  What characters do you want to see get the spotlight?  Do you think X-23 will recover from the events here?
    Lord's Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lord's Angel

One, I like the character.
    B. No I don't like the 40 subplots
    Delta the art in the beginning was much better than now. 
    # where is Proudstar?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

G-Man, are you broadcasting from a Morgue ??? lol, anyway I looooooooooooooooooooved Tabitha being saved. I love that it looks like there will be more Tabitha in future X-Force. I loved wolverine attacking Cyclops. I would like Emma Frost to come back and Finish off Kimura for messing with Laura again. 

I would like to point out how last issue Domino's focus was on Boom Boom, but then after Hellion and Surge was saved, she forgot all about Tabs...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

I like that Kyle and Yost haven't forgotten about the unresolved plots from New X-men and Young X-men and are actually continuing them in X-force and New Mutants 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @pixelized said:
    " G-Man, are you broadcasting from a Morgue ??? lol, anyway I looooooooooooooooooooved Tabitha being saved. I love that it looks like there will be more Tabitha in future X-Force. I loved wolverine attacking Cyclops. I would like Emma Frost to come back and Finish off Kimura for messing with Laura again.   I would like to point out how last issue Domino's focus was on Boom Boom, but then after Hellion and Surge was saved, she forgot all about Tabs... "
    That's my hidden lair.  It's just a change of scenery.  A place I can get away to review comics.  Except when I reviewed Wolverine Origins #39 (coming soon) and Romulus turned off the lights.
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Namor1987

Sounds badass I can't wait to pick up this issue
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I'm actually really curious to see what Cyclops has to say that keeps him from getting SNIKTed right in the throat. I'm surprised Wolverine couldn't follow large military vehicles. Surely they must leave some sort of vapor trail of fuel.

Love the dog part at the end.

Avatar image for ree_fullface_cap_nine
    ree-fullface-cap_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

X-force fav comic. The book its my fav team of story and art love all the chars and what they are doing with them love what how they look. I need to see more domino i want to see her play with her power more i will if im lucky b>_^

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey

I thought Boom Boom chaged her name to Boomer, and what is that you're listening to.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AngelFrost

oooo, who's Tombstone was it?

I hope Marvel aren't copying from the whole, Zombie storyline DC are doing.

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Bergquist

best book ever it going to tie-in with everying
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @G-Man said:
    "Are you happy with what happened to Boom Boom?  "
    Happy? No.  Fangasmically ecstatic?  OH YUS! 

To be honest, it's kinda tricky to review this as a single issue, since it follow on from the previous issue.  Well, technically it starts during the ending scenes of the last issue.  And it is tying together a lot of elements that have been set up about 6 months ago.  So there are a lot of subplots including some that weren't really subplots to begin with.   

There's been a lot of speculation over the meaning of issue #19's cover, with X-23 broken into ittle bitty pieces.  I think it's becoming clear why it's like that.  Pretty grotesque.  If anything, when Emma Frost encountered Kimura and punished her by telepathically removing all the memories of her grandmother, I think she just made Kimura all the more dangerous!  After all, this is a psychotic and sadistic woman who now has absolutely no loving, warm or caring memories; so essentially she is a woman without guilt.  I would have liked to see more interaction with Julian after the action, see if he joined the team to help get Laura back.  To see if he would finally use his TK to kill Kimura from the inside like X originally told him to during New X-Men. 

Boom Boom, I'm always happy to see (except for when she's lying in a pool of her own blood).  So I'm torn between wanting to see her as a permanent member of X-Force where she'll be beautifully drawn month in month out... and not wanting one of my all time favourite characters constantly been dragged to hell and back because of what this team does.  I would like to see her exact a little revenge, and maybe even repay X by saving her life in return. 

Wolverine's attack on Cyclops was woefully short.  For a moment your heart leaps when he bursts through the window, but then Cyclops has it all in control moments later.  Real let down.  But I guess they can't just let Wolvie pop a claw through Scottie's chest; not while Fraction continues to spin thread-bare plots around him.  But Cyclops now knows that Josh shares Hope's secret.  Josh is the only one who knows what Hope is.  Even Cable doesn't know yet!  So I'm interested to see if that plot line will spin into anything. 

The Wolfsbane story has taken far too long to build up that I actually want to frost giants to put her out of her misery now.  She's gone from one traumatic experience to another lately, and sticking with this team isn't going to help her mental or physical health improve.  It's not as if Hrimhari will be allowed to stick around on Earth as a member of X-Force; the frost giants have already killed the rest of his pack so I wouldn't be surprised if they kill him too.  Wolfsbane sees him slaughtered... probably ends up pregnant with is puppies...  I just get the feeling it's going to get worse for her.  Either ship her out to her friends in New Mutants or finish her off completely. 

And of course, there's Caliban.  All leading up to Necrosha.  I don't care how people are comparing it to events in DC.  I'm really excited about this.  But poor Chris Yost!  When did he pass away?? ;) 

@goldenkey said:
    " I thought Boom Boom chaged her name to Boomer, and what is that you're listening to. "
    Boom-Boom became Boomer, then changed to Meltdown, and eventually went back to Boom Boom... because it's gold! :) 

@AngelFrost said:
    " oooo, who's Tombstone was it?  I hope Marvel aren't copying from the whole, Zombie storyline DC are doing. "
    Some people say that,  but it's just a bad sense of timing.  Anyway, it's all building up to  Necrosha. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By danhimself
    @AngelFrost said:
    "oooo, who's Tombstone was it?  I hope Marvel aren't copying from the whole, Zombie storyline DC are doing. "
    they didn't actually reveal that in the issue but if you look at it you can tell it belongs to Doug Ramsey
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Korg
    @danhimself said:

" they didn't actually reveal that in the issue"

It's revealed in a huge panel on the very next page of that issue actually. 

Side-note: The other tombstone says "Kyle Yost", which is a combination of Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself
    @Korg said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " they didn't actually reveal that in the issue"
    It's revealed in a huge panel on the very next page of that issue actually. "

well apparently I need to pay better attention
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @danhimself said:
    " @AngelFrost said:
    "oooo, who's Tombstone was it?  I hope Marvel aren't copying from the whole, Zombie storyline DC are doing. "
    they didn't actually reveal that in the issue but if you look at it you can tell it belongs to Doug Ramsey "
    If G-Man turned the page, then Caliban had moved off the tombstone revealing the name in full :) 

I wonder who will be back first; Cypher or Warlock?
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

A.D.D. strikes again

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jefprice

Loved it. I have a lot of fun with this book. LOVE DOMINO in this this book.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AngelFrost

@AngelFrost said:
    " oooo, who's Tombstone was it?  I hope Marvel aren't copying from the whole, Zombie storyline DC are doing. "
    Some people say that,  but it's just a bad sense of timing.  Anyway, it's all building up to  Necrosha.  "
    Ohh, Well I'm sure Marvel will add their own 'twang'  to this type of storyline anyway.

I couldn't help overhear that you like Boom Boom  :)  I do too. And I was just wondering, Why didn't she blow up some of the agents or that Agent who tried to rape her?  The boom boom I remember is one who doesn't take any crap and can kick ass. Why didn't she do that to him?
    Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Dark Cell

G-man you look like ur in the hull of a ship or something lol
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jefprice
    @AngelFrost: I think she was drugged.
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grendel
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @G-Man said:
     Josh is the only one who knows what Hope is. "
    Nope, Stryfe does, too. And if it's Jean Grey, his reaction was much too muted.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pixelized
    @AngelFrost said:
    "

@AngelFrost said:
    Some people say that,  but it's just a bad sense of timing.  Anyway, it's all building up to  Necrosha.  "
    Ohh, Well I'm sure Marvel will add their own 'twang'  to this type of storyline anyway.  I couldn't help overhear that you like Boom Boom  :)  I do too. And I was just wondering, Why didn't she blow up some of the agents or that Agent who tried to rape her?  The boom boom I remember is one who doesn't take any crap and can kick ass. Why didn't she do that to him? "
    the drug that was given to her to sedate her also knocked out her abilities.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23  Edited By DMC
    @Lord's Angel said:

B. No I don't like the 40 subplots

sorry man but you're gonna have to get used to it cause that's the only way this book has progressed. The story arc we're reading now was subplot in past issues. One particular subplot in this issue is going to be the central plot very soon.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @AngelFrost said:
    "Why didn't she blow up some of the agents or that Agent who tried to rape her?  The boom boom I remember is one who doesn't take any crap and can kick ass. Why didn't she do that to him? "
    Normally she would have done (just as she was back to her fiesty old self later on when Warpath & co were interrogating her), but she was still dugged up to the eyeballs from her encounter with the Sapien League.  She couldn't even stand without someone holding her up.  Hell, I'm like that most mornings when my alarm goes off ;) 

@Grendel said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    " @G-Man said:
     Josh is the only one who knows what Hope is. "
    Nope, Stryfe does, too. And if it's Jean Grey, his reaction was much too muted. "
    True, true!  But Stryfe is still in the future, while Cyclops has Elixir at his mercy.  I'm not 100% convinced it's Jean Grey.  Now that Hope's growing up and reached that age where her powers should manifest (if she is a mutant) she's starting to look a lot more like her.  But most green-eyed red-headed girls look like Jean Grey, just ask Maddy Pryor ;)  Anyway, you're right about Styfe, and it makes me think that we'll be seeing Stryfe & Apolcaypse again for the final part of the Messiah Trilogy.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AngelFrost
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @AngelFrost said:
    "Why didn't she blow up some of the agents or that Agent who tried to rape her?  The boom boom I remember is one who doesn't take any crap and can kick ass. Why didn't she do that to him? "
    Normally she would have done (just as she was back to her fiesty old self later on when Warpath & co were interrogating her), but she was still dugged up to the eyeballs from her encounter with the Sapien League.  She couldn't even stand without someone holding her up.  Hell, I'm like that most mornings when my alarm goes off ;) 

Haha, I know that feeling    >_<
    Thanks.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jefprice

I like the subplot myself. For once someone writes one of these books with the range and scope that these tales would have. I also felt like it was like a movie, boom they hit you with this then move over to this scene where they hit you with something else then back over here... I don;t know. It did it for me. 4/5 is a great rating. I would give it the same. Surprised for some reason you liked it that well though.

csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By csimon

IDK how any one could not Like her She is amazing. X-23 that is

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By John Valentine
    @Lord's Angel said:
    " One, I like the character. B. No I don't like the 40 subplots Delta the art in the beginning was much better than now.  # where is Proudstar? "
    You missed out your third bullet order. It should have been "Gamma" - disappointed.  

40? No. There was the main plot which was partially resolved to lead onto the X-23 plot, the Wolfsbane and Wolf-Prince vs Ice Giants plot, and the resurrection of DG. That totals at three to four. 
    James was seen several times throughout the issue - he saved Tabby from being raped and was seen talked to her after - at least 4/5 pages in a 22 page issue.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Media_Master

I haven't picked up a X-23 comic before, so I'll try this one out.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#30  Edited By HaloKing343

I like that hardcore basement that you did the review in.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Great book.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @HaloKing343 said:
    "

I like that hardcore basement that you did the review in.

"
    It's a nice cozy place except when the incinerator (with disposed...bodies) kicks in.  It makes a bit of background noise that picks up in the video.
    LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LastSon1027

Music was great in the review!

crosal05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By crosal05

For me solid 5 stars.
    Kyle & Yost / Choi & Oback are an amazing team.
    I agree with you there are a lot of sub-plots going on (I don't get the Wolfsbane & Hrimhari plot and how its going to tie into everything) but I enjoy reading about them.  Kyle & Yost do an excellent job of featuring each character.  The art by Choi & Oback just jumps out of the page and the capture of emotion is spine-tingling.

I would like to see X-23 to get the spotlight (looks as if she is going to in this arc).  Not sure how she is going to turn out.  She's supposedly a killing machine.  Will this f*ck her up even more or when (or if) Wolverine and Angel and the rest of the squad try to save her, will it humanize her a little.  I dunno.  I can't wait for the next issues.  I really hope they keep the creative team on this book for awhile.

Good review man.

talon_x23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By talon_x23

this was an awsome issue!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.