Follow

X-Force

Team » X-Force appears in 1999 issues.

When Cable reformed the New Mutants, he made them his soldiers. They became a mutant "black ops" team, assigned to kill not just the enemies of the X-Men, but of all mutantkind. Although this team eventually disbanded, the X-Force moniker has persisted in successive iterations of more and more aggressive X-teams.

Uncanny X-Force/X-Men Questions

Nachobomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nachobomber

(Realise there's a 'where should I start thread' but I've got a tonne of questions and thought they'd stand a better chance of being answered in a separate thread.)

So, haven't read any comics in years, and even then all I've read are some books/major events like Civil War, Dark Avengers, World War Hulk: X-Men, Messiah Complex, House of M so I have a slight idea of events/timelines.

Been wanting to get into it properly for a while though and read something ongoing. Just finished reading the Apocalypse Situation and really enjoyed it so I'm thinking of going with Uncanny X-Force but I'm a bit worried it'll end up like the last series I was interested in (Dark Avengers) and end pretty quickly. Impossible to say I imagine but do people think it'll be something that goes on for a while? I'd also like to read some X-Men but no idea which series to choose, X-Men/Astonishing/Uncanny/whatever else there is. I guess I'd prefer the series parallel to Uncanny X-Force unless there's another that's significantly better.

So basically

Uncanny X-Force, finishing soon or  long lasting ongoing series?
    How many X-Men series are there?
    Which would you recommend I read alongside X-Force?
    Any necessary back reading?

Think that's all for now, thanks a lot in advance.

Blood_guts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Blood_guts

YES ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS lol sorry i have exactly the same ones im just too busy to get back to comics and waiting for the trades

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Now I'm a few months behind, but I'll do my best:

1. Uncanny X-Force should be long running. 
    2. Aside from the titles featuring solo characters (X-23, Daken, etc.), you have these:

• Uncanny X-Men
    • X-Men Legacy
    • Uncanny X-Force
    • New Mutants
    • X-Men

In order of importance - at least in my opinion. X-Men is the single worst of the five. X-Men Legacy is good. 

3. X-Men Legacy and Uncanny X-Men. 

4. In my opinion, these are important:

• New X-Men (Grant Morrison run)
    • House of M
    • Deadly Genesis
    • Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire
    • Endangered Species
    • Messiah CompleX
    • Messiah War
    • Second Coming
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By labarith

The good thing is that Uncanny X-Force is, for the most part, self-contained.  The same can be said for X-Factor; both are two of the books in the new "Wolverine Team" lineup (don't ask). 

If you like Uncanny X-Force, I suggest picking up the previous X-Force book, as well as the whole Necrosia storyline (which is X-Force heavy). 

Suggested X-men reading as of now: 
    1.  X-Factor - a solid, stand-alone X-book.  Very little "when did this happen?" going on. 
    2.  Uncanny X-men (the current Fear Itself tie-in is good.  It's resetting soon, so I don't know about future) 
    3.  X-23, Daken, Wolverine ("goes to hell" was the first arc of this onging book). 
    4.  New Mutants - generally solid NM X book.

Generally avoid: 
    Wolverine:  The Best there is

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @labarith said:
      both are two of the books in the new "Wolverine Team" lineup (don't ask).
    .... oh I am going to hate myself...

What is this?

PS: You forgot Legacy.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself
    @JediXMan: after the current event Schism...the X-men will be split in two...some will be going to Westchester with Wolverine and appearing in the new title Wolverine and the X-men...the others will be staying with Cyclops on Utopia in the renumbered Uncanny X-men...it also appears that the other teams will pick a side as well...including X-Factor, X-Force, the X-men title, X-men Legacy, and Generation Hope
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @danhimself said:
    @JediXMan: after the current event Schism...the X-men will be split in two...some will be going to Westchester with Wolverine and appearing in the new title Wolverine and the X-men...the others will be staying with Cyclops on Utopia in the renumbered Uncanny X-men...it also appears that the other teams will pick a side as well...including X-Factor, X-Force, the X-men title, X-men Legacy, and Generation Hope
    Crap. Just crap.

Come on. Wolverine is a BRAWLER! Not a freakin' leader. Now if it was Magneto vs Scott, I'd be fine with that (go Magneto!)
    Nachobomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nachobomber
    @danhimself said:
    I guess I should read schism then? And does this mean X-men, Uncanny X-Force, Legcacy etc are ending? Or does Xforce just carry on without Wolverine? And renumbered as in 1? 

And could you be a bit more specific with the previous xforce book/necrosia/xfactor stuff, thanks for all the help.

@JediXMan: Thanks dude, very helpful. What about the Bastion getting rebuilt/choir and Selene stuff? Not important or is that a part of the stuff you mentioned? Oh and am I right in thinking Legacy/uncanny xforce/uncanny xmen are all the same universe, just different teams? Thanks again
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Nachobomber said:
    @danhimself said:
    I guess I should read schism then? And does this mean X-men, Uncanny X-Force, Legcacy etc are ending? Or does Xforce just carry on without Wolverine? And renumbered as in 1? 

And could you be a bit more specific with the previous xforce book/necrosia/xfactor stuff, thanks for all the help.

@JediXMan: Thanks dude, very helpful. What about the Bastion getting rebuilt/choir and Selene stuff? Not important or is that a part of the stuff you mentioned? Oh and am I right in thinking Legacy/uncanny xforce/uncanny xmen are all the same universe, just different teams? Thanks again
    exactly
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself
    @Nachobomber said:
    @danhimself said:

the only title that's ending is Uncanny and it's not really ending just starting over with a new number 1

there was an X-force volume before Uncanny X-Force that if you're going to read everything then it's kind of important...though I would just start with Schism
    Nachobomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nachobomber
    @danhimself said:
    @Nachobomber said:
    @danhimself said:

the only title that's ending is Uncanny and it's not really ending just starting over with a new number 1  there was an X-force volume before Uncanny X-Force that if you're going to read everything then it's kind of important...though I would just start with Schism
    Think I know what the previous book is (Warpath and Selene?) and I'd rather go back a bit tbh so thinking of going with

House of M
    Deadly Genesis
    Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire
    Endangered Species
    Messiah Complex
    Messiah War
    X Force: Necrosha
    Second Coming
    Uncanny Xforce 1+
    Schism
    Then the new Wolverine title and renumbered uncanny

Would that be alright? Missing out a lot obviously but can't read it all 

And last question, bit confused by Uncanny and regular X-Men now, assumed they were seperate, would I be alright leaving out the xmen title? Thanks dude, been a big help
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By danhimself
    @Nachobomber: yeah you can leave out that title with no problem
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Nachobomber said:
    Bastion gets rebuilt in the first arc of X-Force. X-Force prior to Uncanny X-Force is also good and ties into the events of Second Coming. Same with the Cable series. Both I would say are important. 

Yes, Legacy, Uncanny X-Men / X-Force, New Mutants, X-Men, etc. are all in the same universe. Though they may be shown in different orders. Prior to Second Coming, X-Force was the farthest in continuity compared to the others (all the other titles came before)
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By MrUnknown

I don't think any of the series is ending and you don't necessarily need any complimentary series to read alongside X-force. I've dropped both X-men and Uncanny X-men for the time being but will probably check them post-Schism. For a second X-men series, you should just decide what X-men you would want to read about and go from there.

roarshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By roarshock

Ok, the above posts do show you the curent line up, but for a  little perspective lets look back. 

The series started in 60's with just X-Men (Stan Lee and Jack Kirby).  Then the Earth cooled.  This went 66 issues and then became a reprint series becuase it didnt sell well.  Then, with Giant Size X-men and issue 94 of the X-men series, it became the newer X-men that kinda sorta became the x-men you know today.  ITs where Wolverine, Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, etc. got started.  This goes on for a while, eventually becomong Uncanny X-men in about issue 141 or so.  (Issues 108-143 are  the so called Byrne era of the book where all the magic happens; you get The Hellfire Club, Alpha flight, Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, Dark Phoenix, the Starjammers, etc). Anyway, this series has been the backbone, flagship book of the X universe since its inception.  It will, however, end with issue 544 here real soon and will start over again with a new #1.  (confusing, I know).  Now, in the early 90's around the time Jim Lee was having his run on Uncanny, they came out with a second title just called X-men.  This tite was also to feature Jim Lee and to expand on the  universe.  It is in this series (starting with issue 114) that Grant Morrison had his famous run on the book (with artist Frank Quietly and others) intoducing the main story issues of Xavier's twin sister Cassandra, an expanded mutant school, Fanotmex and, most shockingly, Emma Frost as a good guy and becoming Cyclopse's girlfried (instead of Jean Grey).  This second X-men series became what is now called X-men Legacy at about issue 204ish (somewhere in there).  So the Legacy tite startes there.  Setting that aside for a moment, at issue 167 of Uncanny, the New Mutants were introduced, to have a story about a young group of mutants at the school.  They had their own title that ran 100 issues and then that title became X-Force in the 90's.  that series ran a long painful life and then was cancelled for a while.  X-Factor was another book introduced in 80's for the purpose of bringing back the original 5 X-men and ran for a about 150 issues.  That book is now also runnin but with a much different concept and kind of operates outside most of the day to day x-operations. X-Factor features Jamie Maddrox and his group of mutants as a kind of private eye agency. Written by Peter David and has some of the best X strories in years. Also, the best new x-charachter in years - Layla Miller (she knows stuff - you have to read it to understand that one). X-Force is also now back and is the "darker" of the X books right now. Featuring a small strike force team for the "wetworks" jobs.  Probably the best X-book out now and definately with the best art.   So, we currently have Uncanny X-Men, X-Men Legacy, a (new) New Mutants title, Uncanny X-Force, X-Factor and a "third" main book called just X-men that came out last year.  No real reason for that last one and doesnt really add anything to the mythos.   Finally, there is a book called Astonishing X-men, the came out to feature Joss Wheden's writing and John Cassady's art.  This has been out about 4 or 5 years. IT too is really kind of outside the day to day of the current x-titles, but to understand Kitty Pryd's current predicament, you have to read this series.  

A little convoluted, I know, but that isgenerally how it has evolved.  There have been a ton of limited series, off shoots (Gen X, Exiles, X-man, etc) that really don't add much.  These are the main titles. (oh yeah, in the late 90s and early 2000's there was a long running title called Extreme X-Men with Salvador Larocca doing much fo the art for a long time and it was also great.  It was mainly a strike force type book too, but it was GREAT.  If  you can get those trades, you should). 

Also, as for trades, definatley read House of M, Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire, Dark Phoenix saga, Deadly Genesis and the Joss Wheden Astonishing X-Men books. Those are amazing.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By labarith
    @JediXMan said:
    @labarith said:
      both are two of the books in the new "Wolverine Team" lineup (don't ask).
    .... oh I am going to hate myself...  What is this? PS: You forgot Legacy.
    Legacy isn't as good as it should be.  And yeah, I did forget it. :/ 

The theory is that Schism is going to break up the X-men into "two camps" - one, Scott's, is gonna try to keep separate from humanity, wolverine's is going to try and integrate w/ humanity.  X-Force is Wolverine's team, so it's one of his 4 titles, but - like X-Factor - it's hardly gonna change. 

Meanwhile, Scott's going to have 4 books - Uncanny, being reset to 1 to run side-by-side with Wolverine + the X-men, X-men (this has, oddly, been the "mix with Marvel U" book... it looks like it's gonna focus on the New X-men, more or less.  Jubes and Psyl are on the team... odd stuff.  New Mutants is also on board, and I forget the 4th.  You can find info on them on the news page of comicvine.
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By papad1992
    @Nachobomber

Everybody's forgetting Generation Hope but it's such a horrible book (with the exception of Idie, Lauire, and Kenji's characters) maybe that's why it's not coming to mind!! But I would never pick this book up just because it screwed over my favorite X-Students and pushed them to the sidelines and the backgrounds! But also for important reads I would defiantely add the New X-Men's story arc: Childhood's End... it gives insight on the X-Students!! Who WERE basically the last generation!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.