X-23's Claws

#1 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio
Feet Claws... WTF???
Something that has been annoying me for a while is X-23's claws, not the ones in her hands, those I can deal with, but why the hell does she have a claw in each foot? The problem I have is that there are only a few ways you can actually kill a person with a claw in the foot because there are only so many ways that the human leg can move and even then, the chances of being in the position to be able to kill someone with a claw in the foot is very small. 

In X-23's first appearance, the X-Men: Evolution episode "X-23" Laura is shown using the claw twice, the first time, X-23 breaks into the X-Mansion and subdues pretty much everyone in the house, Wolverine confronts her and the two fight. The thing is that she extends the claw, but doesn't even use it, she just kicks him with the sole of her foot. The second time she leaps into the air and tries to kick Wolverine again, but he leaps out of the way and she implants it into the stone fountain. 

I do grant that the reach of a leg is longer than the reach of an arm, but there is no way in hell that the benefits outway the risks, say for example, getting the claw ripped out of her etc, another problem is that because the structure of the human leg and foot, there is a severe lack in power and control of the weapon. 

Do you agree that X-23's foot claws are annoying and impractical or do you disagree? And is there actually any use for them, except for castration?
#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch this all the way through.   One of her creators, Craig Kyle, explains a lot about her creation and why she has claws in her hands & feet.

From Sideshow Collectibles.  
#3 Posted by Edamame (28007 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114: No. X-23's claws in her foot helped her defeat Lady Deathstrike in Messiah Complex
#4 Posted by IrishX (2259 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
Good video. Thanks for posting it.
#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: Bows down. Thank you, so much for that!
#6 Posted by ~Marauder~ (287 posts) - - Show Bio

You got to be kidding me.... 

I think they are even more useful that the ones in her hands. In the Marvel universe when they se the street levels they expect the use of knives specially around the people who have history with Wolverine. They might expect them claws on the hands. But who the heck is expecting those claws there? No one. 

Also only a person with no martial art knowledge would say that there are little ways on how to kill with a foot blade. All snapping kicks would be effective. In fact because the blade is at the leg it means you can attack and keep the enemy at bay.

#7 Posted by Dyrid (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Her foot claws to me are probably my favorite thing about her, it add versatility that Wolverine doesnt have.  

@Hunter114: Have you read Innocence Lost or Target X, the first target she takes down is with those claws. Her comics are so much better than evolution and wolverine and the x-men appearances.    
#8 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:  
Thanks for uploading the video.

@~Marauder~
The arms are better used for attack because an opponant can easily grab the leg and then gain the upper hand in a fight, the blade can also be removed or become stuck. There is also the matter or defense, if someone is in her face and there is close quarter combat, all she can do with it is stab them in the shin, but fair enough, there are more possible applications to the weapon than I had previously thought of, but I think it looks weird.
#9 Posted by nightcrawler1212 (532 posts) - - Show Bio

to me they are the best claws
#10 Posted by LauraX23 (1764 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they're Awesome!!

#11 Posted by BURNTHEPRIEST (447 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'm getting used to the claws on her feet now, taking out Lady Deathstrike and the bunch of dudes after getting her arm cut off...

#12 Posted by frogger (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Think about it, how many claws do you need on your hand to kill someone, you really just need one. So having three is not going to make too much of a difference. Having claws on the feet increase the types of strikes that become one hit kills and since legs are longer than arms the kill range is that much greater. If watch you any MMA you would see kicks usuaully easest strikes to land.
#13 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio
@frogger said:
"If watch you any MMA you would see kicks usuaully easest strikes to land. "

Kicks are the easiest to land, but they are usually landed with the sole, top or heel of the foot instead of the toe which can easily be broken, which was one of the main reasons I didn't like the claw(s) in the first place.
#14 Posted by Treyvoni (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Speaking as a martial artist, I can say that kicks are the strongest attacks, this is because the leg muscles are stronger. Legs also have a surprising amount of movement because of the ball and socket joints at the hips. As well, the legs have a greater reach than arms. 

Kicks allow attacks to have a greater amount of the force of the body behind them. While someone mentioned that grabbing hold of a leg would allow you to overcome the opponent, that is not always true. Instead, if it is the strength of someone's grip vs the strength of someone's thighs and calf muscles (as they chamber their leg to break away) I'd bet on the leg. Upper body strength is inherently weaker than lower body strength, unless you go around walking on your arms. 

Also, kicks are usually landed with the top of the foot (roundhouse), the balls of the feet (such as a push kick), heel (Ax kick), or flat of the foot (back kick), but when you have a healing factor such as Laura's you don't really have to worry about such things as broken toes and sliced off digits (which I'm sure has happened before cause those razor sharp things are right next to her fingers too) . Also, with extensive training it is possible to toughen the hands and feet as in board and brick breaking.

#15 Posted by WoundingFactor (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Her foot claws combined with her hand claws are a heckuva lot more practical for climbing than Wolverine's configuration. There's also the element of surprise, but even if X-23 was fighting someone who knew about her foot-claws, she still has an advantage, because she has twice as many limbs that are equally as deadly as Wolverine's claws. This gives her more options AND forces an opponent to divide his attention more. Of course, it does seem really likely that they'd end up torn out, given that they've got to be anchored to either the underside or (more likely) the top of her foot.

#16 Edited by Speedy92286 (198 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114: @Hunter114 said:

" @frogger said:

Kicks are the easiest to land, but they are usually landed with the sole, top or heel of the foot instead of the toe which can easily be broken, which was one of the main reasons I didn't like the claw(s) in the first place. "
The only problem I have with that argument is she isn't barefoot when fighting. She usually wears boots, so her toes are not exposed like they would be in MMA. That, and as Trey said, she does have a healing factor, so her resilience to pain(from surviving damage that would normally kill someone and getting digits broken/cut off all the time) would help drive the kick through even if the opponent did manage to expose her fragile toes.

Like most others in the thread, I LOVE her foot claws. More options are ALWAYS a good thing.
#17 Posted by karrob (4267 posts) - - Show Bio
@Speedy92286 said:
" @Hunter114: @Hunter114 said:

" @frogger said:

Kicks are the easiest to land, but they are usually landed with the sole, top or heel of the foot instead of the toe which can easily be broken, which was one of the main reasons I didn't like the claw(s) in the first place. "
The only problem I have with that argument is she isn't barefoot when fighting. She usually wears boots, so her toes are not exposed like they would be in MMA. That, and as Trey said, she does have a healing factor, so her resilience to pain(from surviving damage that would normally kill someone and getting digits broken/cut off all the time) would help drive the kick through even if the opponent did manage to expose her fragile toes.  Like most others in the thread, I LOVE her foot claws. More options are ALWAYS a good thing. "
#18 Posted by nicknicholby (523 posts) - - Show Bio

She may land kicks with the ball of the foot, but as she moves away that's when the blade has a chance to slice.  this is adamantium.  it can slice flesh easily.
In one of her first appearances she slices wolverine's face with the claws in her toes.

#19 Posted by not2baad (518 posts) - - Show Bio

Well with her being trained in so many different discplines in the martial arts. She could use them in a number of different ways. With her balance she could slice someones throat or stick it in their temple. Also disembowel and severing legs. Then jumpkicks wuold be particularlly impressive.
#20 Edited by Mantaray (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hunter114:

I just got a thought in the last couple days. The one claw on the foot kind of bugs me too. it looks kinda solo-ish, there in her foot by itself, weakish. But, I was thinking, why don't they add a second claw onto each foot!! So she'd have two on each hand, and two on each foot! that would look way, way better. It would be more like an actual wolverine, more symetrical, and would allow her an animal look look when fighting. She could be recaptured by the facility, or some rogue scientist that wants to make her higher performance/deadlier, and then, of course, she could escape, with her new modifications, maybe something extra like ground vibration sensing, or an urge to only live off raw meat. That'd be soooooo kewl!!
#21 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mantaray: Watch the video at the top of the page. 

The foot claw isn't weak.  You also can't randomly add claws where there weren't any before; the claw existed before the Adamantium was laced onto it.  The body would reject any new & artificial prosthetics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.