Follow

X-23

Character » X-23 appears in 2383 issues.

X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. She has recently aged up, being saved from the Vault.

X-23 should be a vegetable.

• 52 results
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By PumpkinBomb

Let me preface this by stating that I'm a third-year Bio major currently taking graduate level courses in human genetics. I took a class this afternoon on epigenetics, and a couple of the things I learned brought X-23 to mind. I confirmed my suspicions with a bit of independent research on PubMed.

You cannot, biologically, make female clones of male humans.

To cut a long paper short, X-23 has something called uniparental disomy for her maternal X chromosome (she has two copies of one of Wolverine's mother's X chromosomes, instead of a paternal and a maternal copy). For those of you who know anything about genetics, this is a very bad thing. The two copies you have of each chromosome are far from redundant. If they were, we'd have evolved monosomy long ago. In fact, you express a slightly different set of genes on each of them depending on whether you inherited it from your mother or your father. Your cells know which is which based on epigenetic modifications (addition of methyl or acetyl groups to the proteins around which your DNA is wrapped). See the problem? X-23 has two maternal X chromosomes.

Now, a funny thing about girls is that having two X chromosomes in the first place is a little iffy. We guys get along just fine with only the one. So what happens is that one of a woman's two X chromosomes is inactivated in every cell in her body, at random. If you could scan a female's X chromosomes on Cerebra, she'd come up looking like a messy jigsaw puzzle in two colours. The silencing isn't complete, but it takes care of almost all the genes on the chromosome. This happens so that girls don't end up with twice the level of protein synthesis that guys do - which would be very bad thing indeed. By now you should have figured out where I'm going with this.

Geneticists have found from case studies that neither X chromosome gets inactivated in girls with maternal X isodisomy. The cells can't tell them apart, and so both hang around transcribing gene products. And to add to the problem, the fact that both X chromosomes are genetically and epigenetically identical means that the poor girl also manifests the problems associated with having only a single X chromosome (this is called Turner syndrome, and isn't so bad in comparison; you end up with a weird-looking body, infertility, and some cognitive deficits, none of which would merit a second glance among the X-men). But having two of the same X chromosome is far worse.

To quote symptoms from the only confirmed case of functional maternal X isodisomy in the literature (the rest die as embryos, thankfully):

• Extremely short stature (in the second percentile).
    • A tiny head and low hairline.
    • A short neck with "webbing"
    • A deformed spine.
    • Swelling and deformity of the hands and feet.
    • Inability to straighten fingers, elbows and knees.
    • Inverted nipples.
    • Lack of sexual development.
    • Severe breathing problems.
    • Inability to walk.
    • Inability to speak.
    • Profound mental retardation.
    • Brain abnormalities causing seizures.
    • Extreme ugliness (all right, this is a paraphrase).
    • Light stripes on her skin.
    • Death at age 11 from cardiorespiratory and liver failure.

So, yeah. If X-23's alive, she isn't a clone of Wolverine.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Dude....it's a comic book.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

Well, she's going to have an arc with Mrs. Sinister, so perhaps they'll fix that.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

It's comics. There has to be a certain suspension of belief.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself
    @War Killer said:
    " Dude....it's a comic book. "
    lol exactly what I was going to say

same message I give everyone...stop over thinking...just sit back and enjoy the story
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Green Skin

In a world filled with mutants, aliens, god, and various other fantastic things the thing you have an issue with is a female clone of a male?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

Galactus's body mass cannot begin to support the massive weight of his mighty purple short-shorts.

SCANDAL I SAY!

XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By XRiskyX

LMAO Well observed. had a good laugh from this envisioning how X-23 should really look like.

Isn't hse a clone as by definition of identical? I think her second X-chromosome came from Dr. Kinney who carried her out?

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By hydrabob--defunct
    @PumpkinBomb:  while i agree with what the majority of people said, it is a comic book and you really can't take it literally, they can bend reality as much as they want with no repercussions (ok some repercussions).

with that said i enjoyed the read, i often try and take things that happen in comics and add real world physics to it, this is very similar to that, but for chemistry, all in all good work hope you become a big wig scientist some day.
    fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By fACEmelter88

Yea that is bull crap they shouldn't have done that it's ridiculous just like her "father" having claws and able to regenerate limbs...........SHUT UP ITS COMICS

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Caligula
    @War Killer said:
    " Dude....it's a comic book. "
    k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By k2

Several things: it is a comic book, as some people have said here. Also Dr. Kinney used the X chromosome as a base and did a lot of repair work. What if she fixed the issues? Not feasible in real life but in the comic book world...or, also as suggested in this thread, maybe one of the X chromosomes was from herself? X-23 is not a strict clone. She is more 'based' off Wolverine's DNA as closely as possible, designer DNA. Dr. Kinney repaired a lot of genes that had been destroyed, made up coding where it was missing. I assume, with all the possible opportunities, that the problem was solved through one of these avenues.

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Band Lone

Is this guy trying to look for actual logic in comics? O_o 

Dude we know! Is not like we think a person can actually shoot lasers out of their eyes -__-  

The only possible "superpower" a real human being has is maybe flatulence which with the aid of a lighter it becomes a flame 

So, yeah, we have a flamethrower on our butts but is not a real super power, is not very potent and is incredibly embarrassing -__- 

That's as close to super powers as we'll get

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @PumpkinBomb:
    i agree with the others that its just a comic and 99% of people readin comics probably wouldnt know that information you just gave but i do have to say, you study and learn some pretty cool $h!t. I would love to be learning on that level. I try and read things above my intellegence level alot (A. because i like alot of things that i would be considered to dumb to understand and B. kinda hoping i would slowly start comprehending more) 

I always wanted to go to MIT and learn but i screwed up to much in my years at school. I kick my self every day for not trying harder. I've still got a good life but wow that sounds like something fun to learn
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Green Skin
    @Band Lone said:
    " Is this guy trying to look for actual logic in comics? O_o   Dude we know! Is not like we think a person can actually shoot lasers out of their eyes -__-    The only possible "superpower" a real human being has is maybe flatulence which with the aid of a lighter it becomes a flame   So, yeah, we have a flamethrower on our butts but is not a real super power, is not very potent and is incredibly embarrassing -__-   That's as close to super powers as we'll get "
    Not true.  The same gene that allows jelly fish to regenerate and regrow limbs and what not is also present in the human genome.  It's just inactive, it's just a matter of someone or something activating what is already there.    So there ya go, humans have a healing factor....it's just that no one has figured out how to use it.
    Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Band Lone
    @Green Skin said:
    " @Band Lone said:
    " Is this guy trying to look for actual logic in comics? O_o   Dude we know! Is not like we think a person can actually shoot lasers out of their eyes -__-    The only possible "superpower" a real human being has is maybe flatulence which with the aid of a lighter it becomes a flame   So, yeah, we have a flamethrower on our butts but is not a real super power, is not very potent and is incredibly embarrassing -__-   That's as close to super powers as we'll get "
    Not true.  The same gene that allows jelly fish to regenerate and regrow limbs and what not is also present in the human genome.  It's just inactive, it's just a matter of someone or something activating what is already there.    So there ya go, humans have a healing factor....it's just that no one has figured out how to use it. "
    That doesn't make what I said "Not true" 

Is not like healing factor is a big super power 

Not to mention that it wouldn't be like in the comics

Jellyfish are called immortal yet turtles eat them all the time and they also wash on shore at times. 

In the comics been a hero with a healing factor is a damn joy ride

I'll explain myself: 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

But that wont be the case in real life even if they do activate whatever you said we have in us. 

Besides we are already having over population problems and we are most likely able to clone people yet the government does not approve, so if it was possible to have a healing factor the government would not allow it.  

But back to relity 

We do not have that ability and ass flamethrower is our "power" xD
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Hazlenaut

You have difficulty to believe a change gender from a clone baby. It’s not that hard. But to spare DNA talk the female part came from her mother. X-23 is a test tube baby to be more exact.  Some DNA may alter from the other parent.    

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By jordama

It is a good thing she has a healing factor, the character you descibed wouldn't have been the nice to look at.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty

This is funny!  No-one would ever know that Laura was really a man in disguise if you hadn't WikiLeaked the scientific proof!  ;)

PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @jordama said:
    " It is a good thing she has a healing factor, the character you descibed wouldn't have been the nice to look at. "
    This would require her entering puberty during the first trimester.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vitality

I'm glad your putting your degree to use...haha.
    radar5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By radar5
    @jordama: my thoughts exactly
    Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cytorrak

I'd just like to point out that a lot of the people saying "Dude it's a comic book" and arguing that you should suspend disbelief for comic  books, are probably the same people who applaud "realism" in comic books, and drone on and on about how comic characters are too perfect, and like characters walking around in civvies more often.

All I'm saying is, as soon as you try to go for "realism" in comic books, you have to address intelligent, factual arguments such as what this guy has presented.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vitality
    @mrmisanthrope said:
    "I'd just like to point out that a lot of the people saying "Dude it's a comic book" and arguing that you should suspend disbelief for comic  books, are probably the same people who applaud "realism" in comic books, and drone on and on about how comic characters are too perfect, and like characters walking around in civvies more often.  All I'm saying is, as soon as you try to go for "realism" in comic books, you have to address intelligent, factual arguments such as what this guy has presented. "

The thing is...this person isn't just saying..."well that's not realistic"...this person went so deep with their scientific proof to disprove something in a comic book....it borderlines the absurd.
    LucifersLawyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LucifersLawyer

The way I read it, I thought  Dr. Sarah Kinney used only Wolverine's X chromosome and replaced the damaged Y one with one of her own, thereby making X-23 basically Wolverine's daughter by artificial insemination.

hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PumpkinBomb said:

" @jordama said:

" It is a good thing she has a healing factor, the character you descibed wouldn't have been the nice to look at. "
    This would require her entering puberty during the first trimester. "
    well at least she wouldn't have awkward teen years.

@xerox-kitty said:

" This is funny!  No-one would ever know that Laura was really a man in disguise if you hadn't WikiLeaked the scientific proof!  ;) "

I choose to not think about it that way.

@LucifersLawyer said:
    " The way I read it, I thought  Dr. Sarah Kinney used only Wolverine's X chromosome and replaced the damaged Y one with one of her own, thereby making X-23 basically Wolverine's daughter by artificial insemination.
    "
    If Sarah Kinney has a Y chromosome then their family has more problems than X-23 being a clone
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Thor's hammmer

you do relise there are characters in comic books that have fathered themselves? and other characters who alter reality witht there punches right?  

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By jordama
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @jordama said:
    This would require her entering puberty during the first trimester. "

That was mostly a joke because most people are just yelling that it is a comic book.  

But if you really want to discuss this point, she has been shown to have developed mutant powers early. Also, some mutants were born with their powers so it is possible that she was born with a healing factor that took over to save her life and stop her from being a vegetable. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By joshmightbe

she exists in a world where radioactive bugs give you super powers and occasionally a giant guy in purple armor shows up to eat the planet X23's origin isn't even a blip on the Marvel weird sh*t-o-meter

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By fbdarkangel
    @hydrabob said:
    "
      @LucifersLawyer said:
    " The way I read it, I thought  Dr. Sarah Kinney used only Wolverine's X chromosome and replaced the damaged Y one with one of her own, thereby making X-23 basically Wolverine's daughter by artificial insemination.
    "
    If Sarah Kinney has a Y chromosome then their family has more problems than X-23 being a clone "
    oh I laughed so hard I woke up butters 

I am Butters and I do not approve of this awakening!

on the matter of this thread... Does it really matter? I personally don't care on whether or not her "scientific origin" is accurate. she is one of the few marvel female characters that has her own solo series!
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fbdarkangel said:
    " @hydrabob said:
    "
      @LucifersLawyer said:
    "
    If Sarah Kinney has a Y chromosome then their family has more problems than X-23 being a clone "
    oh I laughed so hard I woke up butters 

on the matter of this thread... Does it really matter? I personally don't care on whether or not her "scientific origin" is accurate. she is one of the few marvel female characters that has her own solo series! "
    NOOOO, I have woken the beast, the beast will destroy me (and my bed)

yeah but she is probably going to lose it in a little while (just going off track record)
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#31  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

dude.....its a goddamn comic,  where they have technology, countries and lots of stuff that doesnt exist/couldnt work in real life.
    Avatar image for andrea_mendoza1997
    andrea_mendoza1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well we all know that everything in comic books is not very accurate or possible in the real world let's just keep on believing that it is okay :)

Deadknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#33  Edited By Deadknight

Egad! Someone has managed to disprove comic book science with real science?! MADNESS!! 

...Okay, so maybe it wasn't stunningly obvious, but come on, it's comics. Last I checked, the world of superheroes isn't dead-set when it comes to science.  
    Granted, they have their moments, but then there's... 

Gammbitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gammbitt

Well constant healing factor is all i have say, and that the scientist probably overide the mother x chromosome like they did with terry, u do know they can do that right

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Jotham

I think this is actually interesting, but, yeah, this is far from the most ridiculous thing in comics.

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BaBaBoom
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I apologize; I don't mean to be the wise-ass who sidetracks what is a pretty interesting discussion, but since reading the forum header I can't get the image of a stalk of celery with adamantium claws out of my head.

Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mistersarcastic

I won't say "it's a comic book" because many other times comics tend to go for realistic matters, no? But in the case of X-23, maybe they were less realistic for the sake of getting a female clone. They probably knew it wasn't scientifically possible to get a female clone from a male as you pointed and out but wanted ignore the odds and facts for the character. Who knows, they probably debated over rather or not they wanted a male or female. *shrug* Nice observation though - never knew a clone could be the opposite sex of the original. 

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Theworldbreaker

I'm surprised you dident pick on Hulk/Bruce banner for being unrealistic.
    fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fbdarkangel
    @Theworldbreaker said:
    " I'm surprised you dident pick on Hulk/Bruce banner for being unrealistic. "
    that's true! and Wanda's twins Wiccan and Speed very unrealistic!
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Theworldbreaker

Dont forget Flash and Magneto!
    fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fbdarkangel
    @Theworldbreaker said:
    " Dont forget Flash and Magneto! "
    in other comic books!
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @fbdarkangel:
    And!?
    Full_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Full_Spectrum

fortunately, the writer doesn't know JACK about human genetics and therefore X-23 is a perfectly functional (and quite hot) woman. tada.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist
    @Band Lone: Well said friend.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By daredevil21134
    @War Killer said:
    "Dude....it's a comic book. "
    slvrwolfang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By slvrwolfang

one thing i would like to point out is that she is the 23rd attempt at a clone, i'm sure the geneticists did some sort of splicing in order to make the silencing of one of the chromosomes work

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By frogjitsu
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " This is funny!  No-one would ever know that Laura was really a man in disguise if you hadn't WikiLeaked the scientific proof!  ;) "
    OH NO!!  X-23 is secretly a trap!!  That would be a hilarious twist.
    fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fbdarkangel
    ddaann1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By ddaann1985

You can also not have a giant entity eat up a world, or have people running around with a coat of metal around their bones....thats why there comics :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.