X-23

Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

Just bought  issues 1-4 of the X-23 comics, and I'm really enjoying them.  

The first issue was good I like how Surge was a b$!tch towards Laura and wanted her out, I also liked how we saw a bit of Hellion and Mercury too.  
I was a bit confused with the whole, demon/devil thing trying to get her to be evil and shizz, but it's all good ! 

Another thing I'm really liking is Gambit's role in this,  I don't really see much of him in the comics but I like what I'm seeing in this one! :) 

how are you guys liking it if you're reading it? 

#1 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9176 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. 

#2 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@haydenclaireheroes: what do ya like about it? 
#3 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish Laura would shank that whiny Surge with her claws. Just once. Good. In the gut. She's dissed X-23 and Jubilee. She needs a smack-down.

#4 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin: She's just an angry confused electrifying girl :P hahaha I do agree though, I really disliked her when she dissed up Jubilee >:(
#5 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin said:
" @Illyana Rasputin: She's just an angry confused electrifying girl :P hahaha I do agree though, I really disliked her when she dissed up Jubilee >:( "
I want to throw a bucket of water on her, and roast marshmallows.
#6 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin: you're evil.... love it :) <3 
#7 Posted by KumoriKunoichi (588 posts) - - Show Bio

Surge deserves to be tied upside down over a pot of boiling oatmeal and left alone with Fantomex and Deadpool. Nuff said. 

And yes, this is a great series that shows X-23 :D. I find the Sinister thing a little ehh, but hopefully it's good. :P 

#8 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@KumoriKunoichi: I've come to the conclusion I am the only Surge lover :P hahaha
#9 Posted by KumoriKunoichi (588 posts) - - Show Bio

She was good for a while, don't get me wrong. She was an excellent leader....then she just became a total ass. I just hate how she did that.

#10 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@KumoriKunoichi: I guess :( i like her b$!tchness though, so it's all good in my eyes 
#11 Posted by The Umbra Sorcerer (8162 posts) - - Show Bio
@KumoriKunoichi said:
"She was good for a while, don't get me wrong. She was an excellent leader....then she just became a total ass. I just hate how she did that. "

She became a Total ass After Messiah Complex i hated her after That
#12 Posted by SC (13223 posts) - - Show Bio

This ongoing has been spectacular. To be honest, there are some aspects about the way that Liu writes X-23, that I think could be better. She has lost a bit of her edge and unpredictability, but I still recognize her as a character I adore. Liu really nails other characters though, I have been so happy reading Emma Frost, Storm, like I remember them. Small touches in the moments, like when Storm and Laura discussed Kurt. I mean, scenes like that seemed to have more genuine emotion running though its veins than the actual issue they had his funeral. The New X-Men characters have been great, and I agree, Gambit is being written the hell out of here, no pun intended (though if those hell scenes confused you, was it because you didn't know it was trying to tie into Wolverine and Daken books a bit?) anyway, back to Remy, I like how he is being written here. Very mysterious, but also typically kind and caring as well, but also street smart. I like a lot.  

Future issues, I am genuinely excited about as well. More Gambit and Liu writes a killer Daken as well, plus I hope more X-Men characters find their way to their book, since Liu has written a lot of them, very well so far. 

#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio

I plan on picking them up tomorrow. 

#14 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: you will enjoy! :) 
#15 Posted by SC (13223 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" I plan on picking them up tomorrow.  "

All the issues? All 4? Oh wow, you are in for a real treat. Especially if I think I remember you said you haven't been liking Uncanny. (Or Fraction) You will be paying for a X-23 book, but getting so much more with your money. Real good value for X-Fans. 
#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
 All the issues? All 4? Oh wow, you are in for a real treat. Especially if I think I remember you said you haven't been liking Uncanny. (Or Fraction) You will be paying for a X-23 book, but getting so much more with your money. Real good value for X-Fans.  "
Heck yes, all four. ^_^. I have Christmas money that I'm planning on spending. Haven't been to the comic shop in a longgg while. 
#17 Posted by SC (13223 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin said:
" @KumoriKunoichi: I've come to the conclusion I am the only Surge lover :P hahaha "

Oh, and I like Surge too. She is a bit like Hellion, she can have a bad attitude, but its sort of justifiable. It also allows for some character growth. If a writer ever decides to. I wonder if anyone bothered to tell her Forge is dead. I keep hoping she might show up in New Mutants. More appearances in this book would be fine, but hopefully later Liu doesn't present her as antagonistically.
#18 Posted by SC (13223 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @SC said:
 All the issues? All 4? Oh wow, you are in for a real treat. Especially if I think I remember you said you haven't been liking Uncanny. (Or Fraction) You will be paying for a X-23 book, but getting so much more with your money. Real good value for X-Fans.  "
Heck yes, all four. ^_^. I have Christmas money that I'm planning on spending. Haven't been to the comic shop in a longgg while.  "

Oh lol, yea, that makes plenty of sense. Good for you. You should post here your thoughts on the issues when you finish. I have been talking to other X-23 fans, and the general consensus is interesting. Nothing bad about her writing here, just that Liu seems to be quite heavy with dialogue and inner narration which is a bit strange to see with X-23. She still holds onto her unique traits though. 
#19 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Well I'm glad I have another Surge fan then, and I really would like to see her character more, now they just have her as the angry girl ever since they stopped with the New X-Men comics, but yeah I hope Liu or any X-Writer for that matter uses her more!
#20 Posted by SC (13223 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin said:
" @SC: Well I'm glad I have another Surge fan then, and I really would like to see her character more, now they just have her as the angry girl ever since they stopped with the New X-Men comics, but yeah I hope Liu or any X-Writer for that matter uses her more! "

Yeah, she has become sort of a caricature of her former self. I was hoping Carey would use her in Legacy. Alas. Also she has these cool ties to some of the senior X-Men as well that could be explored. I am still holding out that she will grow into the same type as role as Dani Moonstar and Cannonball. We just have to be patient (but being patient sucks, lets be honest lol)
#21 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Yeah I can see her take on a role like Dani or Cannonball, guess we'll have to wait and see (hate waiting lol) 
#22 Posted by evanescencefan91 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

it's pretty good, i think it could always use some more violence, 
and I liked the x force art better, 
but I'm excited to see laura get her own series 

I'm really curious as to how this will unfold

#23 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@evanescencefan91: agreed with liking the X-Force art better as well
#24 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin said:
" @evanescencefan91: agreed with liking the X-Force art better as well "
That's because Choi and Oback are art gods. 
#25 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @SC said:
Heck yes, all four. ^_^. I have Christmas money that I'm planning on spending. Haven't been to the comic shop in a longgg while.  "
Yay!!! Christmas Money + Comic Book Store = Epicness of EPIC proportions!!! ^_^

I've been loving the series, I'm enjoying the new direction Liu's taking her and it feels like a twist on the old Wolverine stories we use to have but with different twists that make it all the more interesting! The art has been fantastic as well, and I just can't get over the fact of Liu's writing, she writes such a butt-kicking female character (seriously, read the first five issues of the most recent Black Widow series :D)
#26 Posted by ka385385 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

hellion stick with mercury! 
or face the penance stare!
#27 Posted by Jake Fury (18933 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought about picking this up. I'm pretty interested in the whole Laura/Gambit/Sinister thing they've got going.
#28 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:

"I really wish Laura would shank that whiny Surge with her claws. Just once. Good. In the gut. She's dissed X-23 and Jubilee. She needs a smack-down. "

Which book did she miss Jubilee? I must have missed it, was it in the new series? 
Back to the topic at hand, i am really pumped to get the X-23 series when i have enough money to spare, or i'll just wait for the tpb... I've only heard good stuff about this book, plus it has a variety of characters i really like, all in one title. I wonder how involved Gambit and Storm are going to be in this series further along down the road. 

@Jake Fury said:

"I thought about picking this up. I'm pretty interested in the whole Laura/Gambit/Sinister thing they've got going. " 

This also seems to be taking a cool direction, let's see if nothing gets messed up :P

#29 Edited by DrSumtincool (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I would imagine after nearly losing your boyfriend by having his heart ripped out by a demon, dumping said boyfriend out of fear for his safety, nearly wiping out your team on a mission against the Purifiers,, and ultimately getting turned into a living bomb tends to change someone.  Surge needs to be knocked down a peg but there's no reason to torture her.

#30 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

currently i like both X-23 and Daken for that matter more than the Wolverine comics themselves.

#31 Posted by andrea_mendoza1997 (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Great!!!

#32 Posted by SC (13223 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin:  We humbly request a status update? Have you got to read the latest issues? This book just keeps getting better and better! Imagine how totally friggen awesome the cross over with Daken will be!! *eyes wide open* 
#33 Posted by k2 (473 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin said:
" Just bought  issues 1-4 of the X-23 comics, and I'm really enjoying them.  

The first issue was good I like how Surge was a b$!tch towards Laura and wanted her out, I also liked how we saw a bit of Hellion and Mercury too.  
I was a bit confused with the whole, demon/devil thing trying to get her to be evil and shizz, but it's all good ! 

Another thing I'm really liking is Gambit's role in this,  I don't really see much of him in the comics but I like what I'm seeing in this one! :)  how are you guys liking it if you're reading it?  "
Mercury appears in the new X-23 series? I didn't see her...did you mean Dust?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.