Follow

X-23

Character » X-23 appears in 2383 issues.

X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. She has recently aged up, being saved from the Vault.

X-23 #3 (spoilers)

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By k2

So....

Aye carumba! -.-
    N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @k2 said:
    " So....

Aye carumba! -.- "
    you raise some interesting points.  Let me just say, I really liked the dog scene, but maybe that's just me.  It was nice to see them present a different view on Laura, emphasizing the fact that she wasn't born "practically soulless" as she often thinks.  There was some interesting stuff and this issue, and most importantly, it set the stage for her to head out on her own
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By PumpkinBomb

The whole "finding your inner light" etc. was horribly nauseating. She gets a chaos magic symbol on her palm and everyone wakes up happily?

What a cop-out. I was very excited for this series, but now I hate it with every fibre of my pulp.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k2
    @N7_Normandy said:

you raise some interesting points.  Let me just say, I really liked the dog scene, but maybe that's just me.  It was nice to see them present a different view on Laura, emphasizing the fact that she wasn't born "practically soulless" as she often thinks.  There was some interesting stuff and this issue, and most importantly, it set the stage for her to head out on her own "

Yeah, the 'practically soulless' part was interesting. 

@PumpkinBomb said:

" The whole "finding your inner light" etc. was horribly nauseating. She gets a chaos magic symbol on her palm and everyone wakes up happily? What a cop-out. I was very excited for this series, but now I hate it with every fibre of my pulp. "

Exactly. As a whole I found the issue...over-the-top into little girls: sugar, spice, and everything nice territory...lol! Not enough concrete reasons given for things. That inner light thing...and the puppy thing...made me feel a little queasy. Oh well. I liked SOME parts of it, and in scenes Liu writes Laura's dialogue well...so I will keep reading it as I want to have everything with the character in it. But I definitley disagree with the plot now. I liked it before, I was a bit confused by a few issues such as her going to the half-way house but I thought as a whole it was pretty good plotwise; this however has pushed me over the fence into 'are you kidding' territory. Shame :o(
    Gawdzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Gawdzilla

Someone needs to get Laura a new puppy

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By karrob
    @Gawdzilla said:
    " Someone needs to get Laura a new puppy "
    Yep! 
    Alaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Alaric

Hmm, I liked it to a point. I agree that the Hell arc should have been longer... Though I did like the Gamemaster being called out as a pedo. I lol'd. HARD, cuz its true. XD The inner light montage as waaay too lame and felt like a total cop out. I would've liked for Laura to have discovered this part of herself on her own, not through some Deus Ex Machina bull&*%$ like that. -_-'

The puppy scene was the only highlight I say, it reminded me so much of the puppy scene from Elfen Lied (seriously go to youtube, search -elfen lied puppy scene- warning, its not for the squeamish...).  As for Hellion's part I hate the memory loss but LOVED the last panels. To me Hellion is in such a vulnerable state right now that if he connected with anyone else he'd risk revealing that. And of course we can't have that, he's the hurt alpha male and doesn't know how to cope so what does he do? He hides it. Now of course this is just my take on him but I just felt like it all clicked. We can't have a happy ending this early. lol

So I'm hoping that while X is away trying to find herself, Julian will regain his confidence and an awesome reunion will occur! Hehe, one can hope.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k2

Or the writers will jump on the opportunity to have him move on. That's why I don't think this is such a great thing Helix-wise. It's quite strange...I trust the character but I don't have an ounce of faith in the people writing him.

Alaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alaric

Well there is that, thats the one thing I hate about some comics... They'll never be consistent and once you have a semi satisfying conclusion to something watch out for the eventual retcon. -_-'

Gawdzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gawdzilla
    @k2 said:
    " Or the writers will jump on the opportunity to have him move on. That's why I don't think this is such a great thing Helix-wise. It's quite strange...I trust the character but I don't have an ounce of faith in the people writing him. "
    @Alaric said:
    " Well there is that, thats the one thing I hate about some comics... They'll never be consistent and once you have a semi satisfying conclusion to something watch out for the eventual retcon. -_-' "

Take a deep breathe folks, things are going to be ok. I love Helix as much as you guys, but lets be real: Julian and Laura aren't ready to take the next level. Both of them are screwed up in their own ways. Both are trying to heal from wounds that internal as much as external. 

Liu respects Laura and respects her history. Looking back i think she wrote more Helix than i expected. Plus she's said in one of her interviews in the past months that we'll be seeing him again. And on the flip side we got Mike Carey  writing Hellion!! Mike's one of the best writers the X-Office has, plus we got part 1 of Fables next week then AoX in 2011. Meaning were going to see a lot of Hellion development. 

Strong bonds between characters take time to develop (and unfortunately moments to shatter, I'm looking at you OMD!). And being truthfully honest im not expecting Laura and Julian to hook up till im at least 25 (im 21 now).  If it happens before and is done in a way that makes it real and organic than awesome.  

And remember folks Yost and Kyle always have a plan, i'm sure they have some future project with the two on the drawing boards. I can see it now X-23 Hellion" written by Christopher Kyle & Craig Yost drawn by Michael Choi and Sonia Obak
    Alaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alaric
    @Gawdzilla said:
    "Strong bonds between characters take time to develop (and unfortunately moments to shatter, I'm looking at you OMD!). And being truthfully honest im not expecting Laura and Julian to hook up till im at least 25 (im 21 now). "

I'll see ya there when I turn 23. lmao
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @Gawdzilla said:
    "Liu respects Laura and respects her history."
    She doesn't appear to respect Kyle and Yost.
    Gawdzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gawdzilla
    @PumpkinBomb:  I would beg to differ

Yost and Kyle created Laura, and have shown if they don't agree with what other writers have done with her they got back and fix it (see Laura during her Fang Costume Days). I believe she respects what the two have done with her and where she's  been. As for her treatment of the whole Julian/Laura thing, she's stated that she didn't really want to right Laura in a relationship because she's not ready for one. Which is true. 

And besides Yost and Kyle should be the ones that bring them together, after all they started them down that path
    Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skaddix

Technically Laura was created for X-men Evolution, Kyle and Yost just brought her over besides its not like those two respected the earlier work done on the New X-men anyway.

PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @Gawdzilla: 
    I don't think she's made any attempt to capture the creepy, feral, sociopathic side of the character that Kyle and Yost put so much work into. She's basically been writing a different character with the same backstory.
    Alaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Alaric

Meh even though shes gone in a way I really don't care for, its only been three issues... I think theres still SOME hope she'll do right by X.

Gawdzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gawdzilla
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @Gawdzilla: I don't think she's made any attempt to capture the creepy, feral, sociopathic side of the character that Kyle and Yost put so much work into. She's basically been writing a different character with the same backstory. "
    Yost and Kyle have gone on record and said that that X-23 is not feral or sociopathic. Try again
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @Gawdzilla: 
    I said she has a sociopathic side, not that she was mentally ill. Everyone falls somewhere on the spectrum... but you have to admit that Laura hits a lot more of the diagnostic symptoms than the average mutant. Semantics aside, I think you know what I meant to say about her personality.

I just don't see Marjorie Liu's X-23 executing prisoners in cold blood or demolishing bathrooms in uncontrollable fury. She isn't edgy anymore.
    LauraX23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LauraX23

I liked the puppy scene ! 

But, I kinda don't get why Hellion was pretending to be asleep ... I wonder why he didn't wanna talk to her ...

No Caption Provided
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Kairan1979

I wonder what the symbol on her hand really means. I know it is a symbol of chaos magic, but I doubt that's what writers meant.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.