Wolvie...not Dad material.

  • 72 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

I know X-23 is a clone and not an actual blood-daughter of Wolvie's, but when I read comics that involve Logan, he doesn't seem to be too involved in her life...So, yeah. There a reason he doesn't talk with her too much?

#2 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a deadbeat dad. Just like he never knew about his son, Daken. Although he's a majorly lame character so I can't really blame him.

Staff
#3 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, the kid might've rocked if good ol' Dad had been there to teach him a few pointers. Then, Daken might be a cover whore, too.

#4 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine sucks pretty bad right now, so being a sucky father figure wasn't too much of a surprise.....

#5 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not surprised people don't like him now that Joe Q has shoved him down all our throats nonstop for years, but I'm telling you, underneath all the sucky fanboys, underneath the overhype and underneath all the attention is a pretty cool character, and if they had treated him as the hardcore underdog instead of the Top Gun at Marvel, less people would want to take him to the Danger Zone right now, just saying...

#6 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio

The only appearance I like of Wolverine is in New Avengers. That doesn't seem right. He's been okay in Astonishing X-Men but with the schedule it has (you can't rush greatness, I suppose) you tend to forget it. Bendis has been nailing his character with his writing. I don't know what the heck is going in his regular series (although tomorrow's issue might have potential as an interesting story).

Staff
#7 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"The only appearance I like of Wolverine is in New Avengers. That doesn't seem right. He's been okay in Astonishing X-Men but with the schedule it has (you can't rush greatness, I suppose) you tend to forget it. Bendis has been nailing his character with his writing. I don't know what the heck is going in his regular series (although tomorrow's issue might have potential as an interesting story)."

Wolverine was great in Astonishing, IMO. I like how in New Avengers, Spider-Woman took him out, that was great. I could just imagine all the Wolvie fanboys yelling......

#8 Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"G-Man says:
"The only appearance I like of Wolverine is in New Avengers. That doesn't seem right. He's been okay in Astonishing X-Men but with the schedule it has (you can't rush greatness, I suppose) you tend to forget it. Bendis has been nailing his character with his writing. I don't know what the heck is going in his regular series (although tomorrow's issue might have potential as an interesting story)."

Wolverine was great in Astonishing, IMO. I like how in New Avengers, Spider-Woman took him out, that was great. I could just imagine all the Wolvie fanboys yelling......"

Well he was like the only one awake after the frickin' plane crashed...

And are there any Wolverine fanboys anymore?

Staff
#9 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"And are there any Wolverine fanboys anymore?"

Are you trying to bring them here?

Moderator
#10 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah man...don't taunt the-WHAT THE HELL?! Buckshot...you're...you're...you're EVIL?!

#11 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Gottheit says:

"Yeah man...don't taunt the-WHAT THE HELL?! Buckshot...you're...you're...you're EVIL?!"

I'm red.

G-Man says:

"The only appearance I like of Wolverine is in New Avengers. That doesn't seem right. He's been okay in Astonishing X-Men but with the schedule it has (you can't rush greatness, I suppose) you tend to forget it. Bendis has been nailing his character with his writing. I don't know what the heck is going in his regular series (although tomorrow's issue might have potential as an interesting story)."

I've liked him in New Avengers and Astonishing and from the looks of Wolverine 57, I might start liking him in his series too.

Moderator
#12 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolvie is too over used. He's a cool character and all. Ever since I was seven I've wanted big ass claws to pop out of my hands.

#13 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Phorqe says:

"Ever since I was seven I've wanted big ass claws to pop out of my hands."

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, and the avatar doesn't help.

Moderator
#14 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm completely serious. I've been thinking about it constantly since I was a youngin'. Every day I think "Man, I just want to stab this A-hole," or "if I had claws i wouldn't need a bottle opener," or "I could really use a new window right there."

#15 Posted by CanadianWolverine (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it really any surprise Wolvie is a dead beat dad? He kinda lost his own pop real young, to murder no less. Too boot, lets list his wholesome virtues:

  • Drinks Excessively

  • Violent Behavior

  • Smokes In The Presence of Teenagers

  • Gypsy Lifestyle

  • Anger Issues

  • Never Home

  • Wears Spandex(?) Tights

  • Contemplates Assasination

  • Spends Way Too Much Time With Other People's Kids

  • Didn't Marry Mom or Even Bother To Kill My Evil Scientist

Yeah, he is a deadbeat. Too bad X-23 and Daken ever existed as characters, then those relationships with Jubilee and Shadowcat wouldn't seem so creepy all of a sudden. Bet Buckshot could find a picture that doesn't seem quite right in Wolvie's relationship with a student. =)

#16 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

roflol

classic buckshot :D

M

#17 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Moderator
#18 Posted by CanadianWolverine (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahahaha ... Oh my ... My sides hurt. I knew he could pull it off, Bucky is amazing at that.

#19 Posted by Superkitty (1086 posts) - - Show Bio

Being a good dad doesn't seem to be very good comic book material. Having an abusive dad is a good back up story when the kid grows up and becomes a hero/villain. Also who wants to read "Wolverine takes his son to a ball game and later they go get ice cream?"

Online
#20 Posted by CanadianWolverine (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Umm, me?

Sorry, but being a dad, I feel differently about how interesting things can get.

And it doesn't have to be a ball game, it can be all the trials of growing up, including some super hero ones thrown in, like Mr Sinister kidnaps your kid or something.

#21 Posted by Superkitty (1086 posts) - - Show Bio

CanadianWolverine says:

"Umm, me?Sorry, but being a dad, I feel differently about how interesting things can get.And it doesn't have to be a ball game, it can be all the trials of growing up, including some super hero ones thrown in, like Mr Sinister kidnaps your kid or something."

I was thinking of Garth Ennis's Pride & Joy after typing that so there can be a good Father and Son story.

I guess I should have typed something like "how comics superhero comics are set up sometimes makes it hard to have a good dad and have a good story that just isn't perfunctory 'I have a son, so here's me tassling his hair in this panel and he disappears the next panel'" or something like that. A good story is still a good story. I didn't intend to say nobody (as in readers) would be interested. I don't see much as in writing, but I could be wrong. Any examples?

Maybe a story where there is a continuing rivalry between Mr. Sinister and Sinister Jr and Wolverine and Wolverine Jr.

Online
#22 Posted by it'sjustme (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he an ok dad.but x-23 is a clone not his kid.and he has adopted a japeness girl.and he had wild-thing on (earth 616) I think that right.

#23 Posted by Darkwood (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I've grown up with reading Wolverine for maybe 20 years. Granted his not been the greatest dad, but he did do right by the kid he did know about, that being Laura. Laura run off from the mansion, but she had a cell. I'm unsure if it was bought by Logan, but he had her number. So he did keep in touch with her and after M Day. He called her and asked her to come back for her safety.

Not to mention when he did learn of Draken. He went out looking for him weather, it was to take him to that ball game, or kill him is beside the point.

#24 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, Wolverine is a great dad by Wolverine standards. He just doesn't chalk up to actual standards.

#25 Posted by Mach (171 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey X-23 was created for the X-Men: Evolution animated television series a Warner Bros TV show who owns DC hmmmmmm? Anyone see an issue here?

#26 Posted by Dementia5 (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Gottheit says:

"Oh, Wolverine is a *great* dad by Wolverine standards. He just doesn't chalk up to *actual* standards."

Agreed.

First, consider his complete abandonment of his first "daughter", Amiko.

Second, his spotty history with the two "daughters" who are closer to him than any others, Kitty and Jubilee, for whom his idea of "fatherhood" was to haul them around to every dangerous hellhole on the planet and place them in harm's way as often as possible. Then came his trademark cycle of abandonment. After M-Day he made no effort to look for Jube to see if she was ok, and only ran into her by accident at the depowered mutants shelter when he was there looking for someone else. Sickening. And when Colossus recently expressed his sadness over "losing" Kitty (we'll have to wait for the next Astonishing to see what that means), Logan's matter-of-fact "too bad, so sad, get over it" attitude disgusted me. And yet these two girls share the deepest bond with him, and love him more than anyone. It's inexplicable.

X-23's standoffish attitude toward Logan is probably, ironically, the healthiest relationship she could possibly have with him. Daken just plain hates him for never having been there, but he really ought to consider himself lucky.

#27 Posted by Mach (171 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he should be a good dad; I mean he is 120 years old for crying out loud he a lot particle to figure it out .

#28 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. It's a fight or flight thing, and Wolvie developed the flight response to responsibility.

#29 Posted by Wolverine-Is-Hot (44 posts) - - Show Bio

ditto

#30 Posted by laurax (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see him take a little more interest in her life. Altough, it looks like he's starting to care in X-force. He decked Scott on her behalf. Well, We all know he just wanted to deck Scott....
Post Edited:2008-05-31 03:29:13

#31 Posted by k2 (473 posts) - - Show Bio
Dementia5 said:
"

Gottheit says:

"Oh, Wolverine is a *great* dad by Wolverine standards. He just doesn't chalk up to *actual* standards."

Agreed.

First, consider his complete abandonment of his first "daughter", Amiko.

Second, his spotty history with the two "daughters" who are closer to him than any others, Kitty and Jubilee, for whom his idea of "fatherhood" was to haul them around to every dangerous hellhole on the planet and place them in harm's way as often as possible. Then came his trademark cycle of abandonment. After M-Day he made no effort to look for Jube to see if she was ok, and only ran into her by accident at the depowered mutants shelter when he was there looking for someone else. Sickening. And when Colossus recently expressed his sadness over "losing" Kitty (we'll have to wait for the next Astonishing to see what that means), Logan's matter-of-fact "too bad, so sad, get over it" attitude disgusted me. And yet these two girls share the deepest bond with him, and love him more than anyone. It's inexplicable.

X-23's standoffish attitude toward Logan is probably, ironically, the healthiest relationship she could possibly have with him. Daken just plain hates him for never having been there, but he really ought to consider himself lucky.

"
This made me LOL. It's so true...I don't understand how comic writer's minds work sometimes. They're trying to make him this father-figure to these kids...and he does nothing but /FAIL. It did make me wonder why they didn't have him being a bit more involved with Laura...I mean, here is someone who is a clone of himself, who has to deal with all the little perks and downs of his physiology and lifestyle (Weapon X / the facility), and yet...nothing.

" Come to the Institute...I'm worried about you..." then he flies off to Storm's wedding and Laura nearly dies at Nimrod's hands. Wow, I'm impressed. And the Daken thing is just ridiculous.
#32 Posted by Vance Astro (91117 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is my dad...and I turned out fine.

Moderator
#33 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
caption
could b if given the chance look at him stand up to namor on behalf of the kids imagine what he would do if it were his own kid
#34 Posted by Talon/X23 (10489 posts) - - Show Bio

Yah me to I mean  Laura would do any thing that Logan say Like when she let Wolfsbain just take her down like that after Logan said that it should be Wolfsbain that we should die for I mean can't the guy see that she cares about him!

#35 Posted by Chickenman (271 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Wolverine is my dad...and I turned out fine."

Other unbelievable quotes from history:

"Ok, one more continent, and then I'm done." - Alexander the Great
"Hey, I know....let's invade Russia!" - Napoleon Bonaparte
"I'm in the mood for an opera." - Abe Lincoln
"There's probably only a couple of natives in that village over there." - George A. Custer
"Hey, I know....let's invade Russia!" - Adolf Hitler
"No one should ever need any more than 64 KB." - Bill Gates
"Welcome to Marvel, Mr. Austin." - Joe Quesada

I kid...

#36 Posted by k2 (473 posts) - - Show Bio
Chickenman said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Wolverine is my dad...and I turned out fine."

Other unbelievable quotes from history:

"Ok, one more continent, and then I'm done." - Alexander the Great
"Hey, I know....let's invade Russia!" - Napoleon Bonaparte
"I'm in the mood for an opera." - Abe Lincoln
"There's probably only a couple of natives in that village over there." - George A. Custer
"Hey, I know....let's invade Russia!" - Adolf Hitler
"No one should ever need any more than 64 KB." - Bill Gates
"Welcome to Marvel, Mr. Austin." - Joe Quesada

I kid...

"

In Sovjet Russia, Russia invade you! 

... why yes I have been spending alot of time at icanhascheezburger.com. -.-
#37 Posted by Vance Astro (91117 posts) - - Show Bio
k2 said:
"Chickenman said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Wolverine is my dad...and I turned out fine."

Other unbelievable quotes from history:

"Ok, one more continent, and then I'm done." - Alexander the Great
"Hey, I know....let's invade Russia!" - Napoleon Bonaparte
"I'm in the mood for an opera." - Abe Lincoln
"There's probably only a couple of natives in that village over there." - George A. Custer
"Hey, I know....let's invade Russia!" - Adolf Hitler
"No one should ever need any more than 64 KB." - Bill Gates
"Welcome to Marvel, Mr. Austin." - Joe Quesada

I kid...

"

In Sovjet Russia, Russia invade you! 

... why yes I have been spending alot of time at icanhascheezburger.com. -.-"
....................
Moderator
#38 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"k2 said:
"Chickenman said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Wolverine is my dad...and I turned out fine."

Other unbelievable quotes from history:

"Ok, one more continent, and then I'm done." - Alexander the Great
"Hey, I know....let's invade Russia!" - Napoleon Bonaparte
"I'm in the mood for an opera." - Abe Lincoln
"There's probably only a couple of natives in that village over there." - George A. Custer
"Hey, I know....let's invade Russia!" - Adolf Hitler
"No one should ever need any more than 64 KB." - Bill Gates
"Welcome to Marvel, Mr. Austin." - Joe Quesada

I kid...

"

In Sovjet Russia, Russia invade you! 

... why yes I have been spending alot of time at icanhascheezburger.com. -.-"
...................."

LOL.
#39 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"

He's a deadbeat dad. Just like he never knew about his son, Daken. Although he's a majorly lame character so I can't really blame him.

"
ouch
#40 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
Resonate said:
"G-Man said:
"

He's a deadbeat dad. Just like he never knew about his son, Daken. Although he's a majorly lame character so I can't really blame him.

"
ouch"
I wouldn't say that he's lame, maybe overused but not lame.
#41 Posted by The Cracked Genome (326 posts) - - Show Bio

CanadianWolverine said:

"

Is it really any surprise Wolvie is a dead beat dad? He kinda lost his own pop real young, to murder no less. Too boot, lets list his wholesome virtues:

  • Drinks Excessively

  • Violent Behavior

  • Smokes In The Presence of Teenagers

  • Gypsy Lifestyle

  • Anger Issues

  • Never Home

  • Wears Spandex(?) Tights

  • Contemplates Assasination

  • Spends Way Too Much Time With Other People's Kids

  • Didn't Marry Mom or Even Bother To Kill My Evil Scientist

Yeah, he is a deadbeat. Too bad X-23 and Daken ever existed as characters, then those relationships with Jubilee and Shadowcat wouldn't seem so creepy all of a sudden. Bet Buckshot could find a picture that doesn't seem quite right in Wolvie's relationship with a student. =)

"


He's not that much of a deadbeat. Yeah he does do all these things but he dosen't hit any of them (not unless they are training!)

Dementia5 said:

"

Gottheit says:

"Oh, Wolverine is a *great* dad by Wolverine standards. He just doesn't chalk up to *actual* standards."

Agreed.

First, consider his complete abandonment of his first "daughter", Amiko.

Second, his spotty history with the two "daughters" who are closer to him than any others, Kitty and Jubilee, for whom his idea of "fatherhood" was to haul them around to every dangerous hellhole on the planet and place them in harm's way as often as possible. Then came his trademark cycle of abandonment. After M-Day he made no effort to look for Jube to see if she was ok, and only ran into her by accident at the depowered mutants shelter when he was there looking for someone else. Sickening. And when Colossus recently expressed his sadness over "losing" Kitty (we'll have to wait for the next Astonishing to see what that means), Logan's matter-of-fact "too bad, so sad, get over it" attitude disgusted me. And yet these two girls share the deepest bond with him, and love him more than anyone. It's inexplicable.

X-23's standoffish attitude toward Logan is probably, ironically, the healthiest relationship she could possibly have with him. Daken just plain hates him for never having been there, but he really ought to consider himself lucky.

"


As for taking Kitty and Jubilee to dangerous places... would you really read a comic where he is driving them to the mall? Sitting them down to talk about boys and what they really want? Paceing the living room wainting for them to get back from their first dates?

And he delt with the loss of the Kitty the same way he deals with the loss of all the women in his life. By getting drunk... until Armor came along and got him to fight through the pain.

I do admit he dropped the ball with Jubilee (probably thinking she could take care of herself as she had been doing for a while) but he did give up his freedom to make sure she got medical attention.

He probably left Laura alone in New X-Men to give her a chance to be with Kids her own age (who want's their dad hanging around all the time?) and he was upset when she gave all that up to be a killer again.

And I thought he didn't know about Daken until after he got his memories back. So it's hardly his fault the boy turned into a little git. Don't you hate it when a kid blames the lack of a parent for all their problems?

#42 Posted by k2 (473 posts) - - Show Bio
And I thought he didn't know about Daken until after he got his memories back. So it's hardly his fault the boy turned into a little git. Don't you hate it when a kid blames the lack of a parent for all their problems?

When I read that sentence the first time, I thought it said 'it's hardly his fault the boy turned into a little girl. I was like WTF man. Wow, I am way too tired. Anyways, your take on things is true, Genome...still it just seems like
he doesn't express much concern. I would've expected maybe a little involvement when the facility took Mercury...maybe afterwards, to make sure Laura was alright. I mean, the girl clearly needs help--she cuts herself. Logan should
technically be able to smell the blood on her arms even when she washes it off (or whatever she does with it).

As a side note, I loved Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing--but I nearly vomited when I saw the panel with Armor hitting Logan and saying she needed training. I think it was the fact that she made claws with her armor. It pisses me off
when other characters imitate Wolverine, like fabricating claws and/or use of the word 'bub'. I could go on for a while with ranting...alot of other annoying qualities about Wolverine (although I think in many ways he's a good character).
#43 Posted by EvilAuthor (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine just isn't the type to be a good dad. He can't even handle normal relationships, why would anyone want him to get into a parental one?
His romantic relationships are disturbing at best. If the lady doesn't die, he becomes obsessive and clingy.
All he really seems to want is a cute little sidekick. A bright happy girl he can be a cold shouldered father figure to that he can replace when she gets too old.

If X23 wants a happy father/daughter relationship, she either needs to put on a bubbly air, or find a new father figure.

#44 Posted by Talon/X23 (10489 posts) - - Show Bio

EvilAuthor said:

"Wolverine just isn't the type to be a good dad. He can't even handle normal relationships, why would anyone want him to get into a parental one?
His romantic relationships are disturbing at best. If the lady doesn't die, he becomes obsessive and clingy.
All he really seems to want is a cute little sidekick. A bright happy girl he can be a cold shouldered father figure to that he can replace when she gets too old.

If X23 wants a happy father/daughter relationship, she either needs to put on a bubbly air, or find a new father figure."

I agree he aint going to treat her like a daughter only a team member, she wants a father he's just not acting like that or taking the inisitve to be one

#45 Posted by The Rorschach (147 posts) - - Show Bio

True dat.

#46 Posted by The Cracked Genome (326 posts) - - Show Bio
k2 said:
"And I thought he didn't know about Daken until after he got his memories back. So it's hardly his fault the boy turned into a little git. Don't you hate it when a kid blames the lack of a parent for all their problems?

When I read that sentence the first time, I thought it said 'it's hardly his fault the boy turned into a little girl. I was like WTF man. Wow, I am way too tired. Anyways, your take on things is true, Genome...still it just seems like
he doesn't express much concern. I would've expected maybe a little involvement when the facility took Mercury...maybe afterwards, to make sure Laura was alright. I mean, the girl clearly needs help--she cuts herself. Logan should
technically be able to smell the blood on her arms even when she washes it off (or whatever she does with it).

As a side note, I loved Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing--but I nearly vomited when I saw the panel with Armor hitting Logan and saying she needed training. I think it was the fact that she made claws with her armor. It pisses me off
when other characters imitate Wolverine, like fabricating claws and/or use of the word 'bub'. I could go on for a while with ranting...alot of other annoying qualities about Wolverine (although I think in many ways he's a good character).
"

Don't worry about it k2, GIT is one of our words over here in England that Americans don't understand. It's what you call someone who is annoying when you don't want to use a swear word.
#47 Posted by k2 (473 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh I know, it's a great word...I was just too tired to be reading things at that moment...

Plus, I'm Canadian not American ;-)

#48 Posted by The Cracked Genome (326 posts) - - Show Bio

Canada Rocks! I when there when I was ten to see my grandad. Getting pizzas and hotdogs in McDonalds blew my mind!

#49 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is a slut. 

#50 Posted by Acheron (1458 posts) - - Show Bio
White Mage said:
"Wolverine is a slut. "
Explain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.