Why is she missing in the all female X-men #1?

• 68 results
#1 Posted by HushoftheWind (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously!? Why miss out on an opportunity to flesh her out on a proper team that she DESERVES to be on? It would have been great to see all Wolverine's proteges on the same team.

#2 Posted by danhimself (22713 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

Many stupid reasons but the main one is Avengers Arena, and I now think is a major mistake if they had this planed before Arena but with this I feel they wanna distance her from the X-Men and thats kinda stupid considering she is Wolvies clone/Daughter/sister. (I say all three because some people get annoyed if you just say Daughter because thats pretty much what I see her as at this point).

And I derailed Straight to the point again Marvel prob doesn't want her part of the X-Men or they will add her to the title a few months down the line. I think its likely and it could make a good story when she joins later.

But it would be amazing to see her fight alongside Psylocke.

#4 Posted by HushoftheWind (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

Im aware of Avengers Arena, but c'mon. We all know the sales of that crapfest book (no offense to people who actually like the hunger games rip off) isn't selling or going to sell that well. They should go ahead and write in a rescue squad to get those people outta there so Laura can be in a proper X book.

#5 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@HushoftheWind: You know, I'd pay actual money at this point to see the sales figures on that book, because I'm sick of speculating over whether it's as popular and/or doomed as everyone keeps claiming. Of course, I've been saying for a while now that one of the hindrances of Arena, all else being equal, is that it negates the opportunity for other writers to use these characters (heck, even Yost earlier last year -- who co-created X-23 and is currently writing Scarlet Spider -- seemed keen on the notion of her teaming up with Kaine at some point, and of all writers he's the one most likely to have actually gone and done so).

That said, this isn't X-Force, and I'm not sure whether Laura has a stun setting. I'm not sure it'd be in-character for her to join an X-Men squad, unless they've recently begun officially condoning killing and I missed it.

#6 Posted by c2thaj (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I expect her to join after Avengers Arena has ran it's course.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lightburst said:

Many stupid reasons 

I think Avengers Arena is the only one....
#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio
@akbogert said:

@HushoftheWind: You know, I'd pay actual money at this point to see the sales figures on that book, because I'm sick of speculating over whether it's as popular and/or doomed as everyone keeps claiming. 

The first issue of Avengers Arena sold over 64,000 copies. It ranked 19th overall on the sales chart. Issue 2 sold 43,000 copies and ranked 50th overall in sales.
#9 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: You don't feel like marvel doesn't want her to be near the X-men at all?

and Hi your the first mod to reply to me. :)

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lightburst said:

@Vance Astro: You don't feel like marvel doesn't want her to be near the X-men at all?

Why would they want that?  

@Lightburst said:

and Hi your the first mod to reply to me. :)

Cool :)
#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (15069 posts) - - Show Bio

Because she is currently in the book Avengers Arena where she is held captive by Arcade.

#12 Posted by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

The way everyone's hating on the book actually makes me want to support it just in spite.

#13 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6535 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@HushoftheWind: You know, I'd pay actual money at this point to see the sales figures on that book, because I'm sick of speculating over whether it's as popular and/or doomed as everyone keeps claiming. Of course, I've been saying for a while now that one of the hindrances of Arena, all else being equal, is that it negates the opportunity for other writers to use these characters (heck, even Yost earlier last year -- who co-created X-23 and is currently writing Scarlet Spider -- seemed keen on the notion of her teaming up with Kaine at some point, and of all writers he's the one most likely to have actually gone and done so).

That said, this isn't X-Force, and I'm not sure whether Laura has a stun setting. I'm not sure it'd be in-character for her to join an X-Men squad, unless they've recently begun officially condoning killing and I missed it.

Comichron.com is handy for sales figures. http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-12.html

#14 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd try to keep this discussion on-topic but the best answer (aside from creative choices none of us are privy to) is Arena, and that's already been said several times.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I'd checked there, but I'd only seen the numbers for December (obviously, since January's not over ^_^).

@Vance Astro: Ah. Thanks.

My general feeling is that any book, as it may have been preordered (especially because, I think I heard, folks who had Academy on their pull lists were automatically switched over to Arena) will only really show its true colors after three or four issues. I'm pretty new to the whole comics business but I get the sense that those numbers are from distributors, not from LCS, which means if you decided to drop the book after issue one or two you'd still have another one coming out of the distributor, just not going into a reader's hand. I have no idea whether a drop like 19th to 50th is considered a red flag though.

#15 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6535 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert:Ah right. Fair enough. :)

#16 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak said:

The way everyone's hating on the book actually makes me want to support it just in spite.

Lol, that's probably one of the stupidest reasons to support anything!

What baffles me is that some people actually mean it and would buy the book even if they don't really care about it...

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio
@akbogert said:

@Vance Astro: Ah. Thanks.

My general feeling is that any book, as it may have been preordered (especially because, I think I heard, folks who had Academy on their pull lists were automatically switched over to Arena) will only really show its true colors after three or four issues. I'm pretty new to the whole comics business but I get the sense that those numbers are from distributors, not from LCS, which means if you decided to drop the book after issue one or two you'd still have another one coming out of the distributor, just not going into a reader's hand. I have no idea whether a drop like 19th to 50th is considered a red flag though.

No problem. I think people realized that the book wasn't going to be what they thought it was the second that Arcade splattered Mettle all over Murderworld. It's not even an Avengers book, they are just using the name to sell it.If you read the previews and saw the solicits though you should have know that all Avengers Arena is, is Marvel's version of Battle Royal\Hunger Games. I don't think dropping 50th place is a red flag because it's only he second issue, sales could go back up.
#18 Posted by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Some Guy the series was pitched as an Braddock Academy book, and the Avenger kids, Arcade, murderworld, etc, was tacked on by editors. Even the second pitch only had brand new characters which sounds much better imo.

#19 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I guess my subsequent question is, how long would Marvel wait for sales to pick back up before making the decision to cancel? Obviously there's no set rule, but I'd guess there are warning signs based on books that have been cancelled before.

#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio
@akbogert said:

@Vance Astro: I guess my subsequent question is, how long would Marvel wait for sales to pick back up before making the decision to cancel? Obviously there's no set rule, but I'd guess there are warning signs based on books that have been cancelled before.

Iunno, they don't usually cancel anything that says "Avengers" on it unless they are going to replace it with something else.The premise doesn't even make sense enough for it to last very long. I don't know what they are going to do, it's not like this is just a team book.
#21 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers arena just went monthly yeah? i think this change might be what kills Arena people might just forget about the book altogether.

#22 Edited by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

People will pick up the all female x-book w/o Laura in it but you probably wouldn't have as many people pick up avengers arena if she wasnt in it. It's smart on marvel's end imo. Laura couldn't sustain her own series and neither could the avengers academy but if you combine them then maybe they will pick up more readers for 1 book instead of just a few for 2 books.

Besides her place right now isn't with the X-men. If you all of a sudden put her back then instead of having people complaining about why she isn't in the x-men, they'll complain about why she isn't part of the avengers right now when shes already tried it and wanted something fresh.

can't please everyone.

#23 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (888 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see her in it down the line, but Avengers Academy and other things are just making it not so.

#24 Edited by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Arena is why and is monthly then bimonthly. Weird I know. The massive drop off from #1 to #2 is really bad.

#25 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

I actually like the knew characters introduced in that book so far and it's not awful like every seems to be hating on it for. People are just very harsh with that book and I'm pretty sure most haven't given it a fair shake. I went in planning to hate it only bought it for laura, but it's pretty good. Can't see the concept lasting too long so the title for the series should've been thought out for the long run. The arena thing will get old quick and Arcade is just a putz.

Well i regards to the all female book, given the cast of the book she could fit in nicely since jubilee and laura had a good balancing personalities in X-23's ongoing and I think she's still a vamp, Rachel was a mutant hunter/hound in the past so she has a similar dark past with the being used as a weapon thing. Psylocke is a reformed killer for the time being so she could be like a mentor and Rogue has been through the spectrum story wise.

And storm is storm, she seems to mesh well with a lot of characters and she's on x-force now(Mot likely not killing).

O_O Wow didn't realize it at first but this cast is a real damaged bunch lol >_> Always forget how much has happened to everyone.

#26 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait is Avengers Arena an ongoing? I always thought/assumed it was something like a twelve issue limited run.

#27 Posted by RoboShark (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure she has a penis too...

#28 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: I thought when they first announced it they said it was a 14 issue ongoing but it was such a long time ago now i don't fully remember.

@RoboShark: The hell? where did that come from and why would she have a penis?!

#29 Posted by RoboShark (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a laugh.

#30 Edited by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

Laura has actually tried to distance herself from killing. That was the entire point of her solo series, as well as some of the points made in Avengers Academy. So, being on a non-killing team would be the perfect--and natural--next step in the evolution of her character.

@Vance Astro said:

@akbogert said:

@HushoftheWind: You know, I'd pay actual money at this point to see the sales figures on that book, because I'm sick of speculating over whether it's as popular and/or doomed as everyone keeps claiming.

The first issue of Avengers Arena sold over 64,000 copies. It ranked 19th overall on the sales chart. Issue 2 sold 43,000 copies and ranked 50th overall in sales.

Thanks for the sales figures!

@Lightburst said:

Avengers arena just went monthly yeah? i think this change might be what kills Arena people might just forget about the book altogether.

We can hope!

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34991 posts) - - Show Bio

@HushoftheWind said:

Im aware of Avengers Arena, but c'mon. We all know the sales of that crapfest book (no offense to people who actually like the hunger games rip off) isn't selling or going to sell that well. They should go ahead and write in a rescue squad to get those people outta there so Laura can be in a proper X book.

Hunger Games it's self is a rip off

#32 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

How far can you take it though? Avengers Arena is a rip-off of Hunger Games is a rip-off of Battle Royale is a rip-off of Logan's Run is a rip-off of Lord of the Flies!???

Deathmatch Island stories have been done before. Fantastic. The fact that AA is an ongoing shows it will be more than that; if all it was, was academy students killing each other off, they'd run out. It's an interesting read and worth investing in just to see where it could possibly be headed to make it ongoing.

#33 Posted by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it will turn out that this actually is some type of Secret Wars thing, and Arcade is Beyonder for some reason.

#34 Posted by Teerack (7420 posts) - - Show Bio

Because she's moved past the X-Men and is an Avenger now.

#35 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnSabahNurX said:

I actually like the knew characters introduced in that book so far and it's not awful like every seems to be hating on it for. People are just very harsh with that book and I'm pretty sure most haven't given it a fair shake.

I can't speak for everyone, but my reason for the hate is pretty straightforward. I don't want these characters to die. No matter how brilliantly-written this book is, if it kills off these characters, I cannot like it. If, on the other hand, there's a twist somewhere down the line and characters aren't dead, I will happily go back and read/support it. I'm sure the art is great. And most people seem to think the writing is good (although as I've pointed out elsewhere, there are some writing decisions that, until they are explained, strike me as absurdly bad). But I can't get behind killing off characters in this way, no matter how well it may be done.

@Mercy_ said:

Wait is Avengers Arena an ongoing? I always thought/assumed it was something like a twelve issue limited run.

Yeah, pretty much everywhere I look people say this is an ongoing. Hopeless as mentioned the whole planned slow burn thing in interviews as well, which bears that out.

@Target_X said:

@akbogert said:

Laura has actually tried to distance herself from killing. That was the entire point of her solo series, as well as some of the points made in Avengers Academy. So, being on a non-killing team would be the perfect--and natural--next step in the evolution of her character.

Heh, I understand she's trying to distance herself from killing. I just don't know whether she can (or should) have a combat role that's nonlethal (that's what I meant by not having a "stun" setting :p). I think she still needs time completely away from battle. But maybe it could work? I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

#36 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio
@Target_X said:

Thanks for the sales figures!

Yup :)
#37 Posted by ka385385 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't really like long speech reply ,so i will just say it simple.

Much like Wolverine ,she is a lonewolf.

#38 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18699 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

If only it was a limited run.

#39 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really know if her personality would mesh well with the assembled group for this series. I know Liu made her best buds with Jubilee (odd), and she might have something in common with Rachel (from Rachel's time with the Hounds and being a weapon), and Betsy is a ninja... okay, maybe she does have some in common--in a way.

But, I just don't know if she'd fit well on the team.

#40 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

"Much like Wolverine ,she is a lonewolf" --The Lonewolf that is in how many books, again? And on how many teams? Just sayin'.

#41 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many great female X-Men characters that could be in the book. X-23 is just a female Wolverine.

#42 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Prince... Hm.

I have to disagree. She's more than just 'female wolverine.' A lot more.

#43 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph said:

Prince... Hm. I have to disagree. She's more than just 'female wolverine.' A lot more.

I just don't know why people are worried about why X-23 isn't in a female X-Men team when there are loads of other female X-Men who aren't being used anywhere that could be used in the book.

#44 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

And I would agree with that. Laura wouldn't be a good fit, in my mind. And there are others that can get some stage time. I think she should be used elsewhere.

#45 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph said:

And I would agree with that. Laura wouldn't be a good fit, in my mind. And there are others that can get some stage time. I think she should be used elsewhere.

Yeah sometimes it seems like Pixie and X-23 are the only two characters who have stuck around from the New X-Men era, though I guess X-23 was from slightly before that era.

#46 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

In any prominence, yeah. Some great characters have been pushed into the background. Which upsets me to no end.

#47 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

There are many great female X-Men characters that could be in the book. X-23 is just a female Wolverine.

Your second statement is absurdly and patently false.

Your first statement, however, is quite true. There are plenty of characters I think would make more sense on this team than Laura.

#48 Posted by judasnixon (7181 posts) - - Show Bio

Do me a solid, and keep X-23 far away from Brian Wood's X-Men. Thanks....

#49 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: While I don't think she'd be a good fit for the team, I definitely think she could benefit from being under a legitimately skilled writer's hand. That's the only reason I'd appreciate seeing her end up here. Well, that and it would mean escaping from Hopeless. But yeah, aside from the chance to win some current haters over to her camp with a good story arc, I really don't see her on this team.

#50 Posted by judasnixon (7181 posts) - - Show Bio

Tell You what man. If Brian Wood wants to bring back the New X-Men, and have X-23 on that run. I would be more than happy to have her there. That's where she needs to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.