What's going to happen to her after Avengers Arena?

• 48 results
#1 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you think is going to happen to X-23 after Avengers Arena ends?

#2 Posted by Backflip (2239 posts) - - Show Bio

@kairan1979: It's an ongoing, so when can we realistically judge that it'll end?

#3 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

She leaves the Avengers and gets back to helping her mutant brothers and sisters. /pray

#4 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

This takes for granted that she survives.

#5 Posted by captainpojoe (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: How can she not, she is the best in that series.

#6 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainpojoe: Do you think the people who were sold Avengers Arena as a direct continuation of Avengers Academy (I mean literally, their LCS ordered it because they'd been an Academy reader, and told them "it features characters you love from this book") expected Mettle to die in the very first issue?

If this book has proved anything, it's that Hopeless isn't writing to please fans of the characters, and that "anything" can happen. A lot of people who are reading the book are only reading it because they want to see people die -- if the prospect of death were removed, they would no longer have an interest. Assuming anyone's guaranteed safety is naive to me.

#7 Posted by animehunter (2292 posts) - - Show Bio

An unsettling thought just came to me.

With everyone saying X-23 will definitely win, what if Hopeless kills her at the end in order to hits us emotionally, shock us and get a rise out of us.

#8 Posted by knighthood (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel whomever survives Arcade's little game should form a new team. X-23 included. IF she survives. BWHA HA HA!

#9 Posted by Strider92 (16828 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by animehunter (2292 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: I really, really hope I'm wrong and what I thought doesn't come to pass. For I would say Laura/x-23 is definitely on my list of one of my top favourite female characters and to lose her would be devastating to say the least.

#11 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopeless would absolutely get a reaction from that: I would stop reading Marvel comics for good.

But that's hardly the first time I've said that. Nor is the notion of Hopeless killing X-23 BECAUSE of her popularity new. I said it in my very first blog on the book over three months ago, and it won't surprise me in the least.

#12 Edited by fernandezluigi (17 posts) - - Show Bio

They say thoughts can turn into things. So sorry. This is my fault. When I was reading the Hunger Games (where this book was based) I imagined X-23 as Katniss. And now my "dream" turned into a living nightmare. So, sorry. I'm a big traitor to Laura. .

#13 Edited by Cobalion (188 posts) - - Show Bio

They kill Laura, Im done reading, period.
I hated how Mettle was the first to die, that was a kick to the groin.
X-23 is quite possibly the only reason people read it (oh and Nico, Chase, Reptil etc.) she is probably the only one in the series with a reasonably sized fan base, thats a reason why they most likely kill her off. Dennis hopeless will probably get his house burnt down for it, or be assassinated lol.
I dont get why Finesse or Lightforce weren't in it are they not popular enough.

#14 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@cobalion said:

You're done reading what, though?

Many of us never started reading Arena in the first place, and boycotting it hasn't slowed its momentum.

#15 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18696 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@cobalion said:

Many of us never started reading Arena in the first place, and boycotting it hasn't slowed its momentum.

she's better of dead. don't get me wrong, i love laura but having her become an monster again to kill off her friends sound way worse.

#17 Posted by Cobalion (188 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull:

@akbogert said:

@cobalion said:

she's better of dead. don't get me wrong, i love laura but having her become an monster again to kill off her friends sound way worse.

MARVEL.
But I suppose as long as if she does die, they don't handle it cheaply, like other characters (e.g Nechrosha), I'll forgive.

She sort of has her trigger scent, under control from what I saw. I read up to issue 6 of arena.
I hope X-23 doesn't end up killing her friends, I hope she kills Apex though.

#18 Edited by animehunter (2292 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little worried now, if Hopeless, and directly Marvel, are willing to kill off a much loved character like Nico Minoru, who was the central character of the Runaways series, what's to say that the same fate isn't waiting for Laura/X-23 at the end of this season.

#19 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't see how marvel could allow Laura to die in this bad book it just wouldn't make sense.

#20 Edited by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightburst said:

I just don't see how marvel could allow Laura to die in this bad book it just wouldn't make sense.

Marvel just allowed the leader of an entire franchise to get killed off in a way which ignored canon rules both of her equipment and her powers. If they'll let that pass, then sense clearly does not apply.

#21 Edited by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: I just wanted to deny the fact that they could and if they do I think ill lose what little respect for marvel I have left. also RIP Nico. I really liked Nico a lot.

#22 Edited by Cobalion (188 posts) - - Show Bio
@akbogert said:

@lightburst said:

Marvel just allowed the leader of an entire franchise to get killed off in a way which ignored canon rules both of her equipment and her powers. If they'll let that pass, then sense clearly does not apply.

It was full of plot holes, and PIS, mixed with WIS.

• X-23 getting stomped by a sentinel even though we have seen that she can move to fast to be tagged by one
  • Apex knew who X-23 was and what she was capable of, yet instead of killing her when she had the chance. Apex just throws her back to her fellow contestants. In turn, giving X another chance to kill her later on in the series.
  • Chase instead of helping X, he just hid behind a tree and said "Oh s**t", The real Chase would have helped her out, especially when there is psycho villain with split personality disorder involved.
  • Nico would'nt just stand there, and wait to be pushed off a cliff without a fight and stopping to hear a speech from her now-superpowered friend when Chase would've actually fought Apex first and then apologize to Nico after.
  • Nico should've sensed something was up with her teammate, before she let him blow her hand off. She not only tough but street smart and would've prevent the incident.
  • It took Apex about 5 seconds to control Darkhawk armour, despite being alien technology.
  • Apex just made her life shorter and became the Mitsuko Souma of Avengers Arena (if you know what I mean)
  • The writer with a surname "Hopeless" what can you expect haha.

So I conclude my post by saying if X-23 (not limited to her) gets killed off, it will be handled in a very PIS way.

#23 Edited by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the series, but I wish it would hurry up a bit. At least a bimonthly release.

#24 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@lightburst said:

Who?

#25 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't surprise me if she died.

I don't want her to, but Marvel is good at pissing people off with stupid decisions.

#26 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Two things worth considering. The first is that you responded to a statement made 28 days ago. At the time of writing, she had just been killed, with an empty life bar beside her dismembered corpse, and with the author explicitly telling people who said her help spell would bring her back that "Nico is dead." The previews for issue 12 did not exist. And no one at the time would have suggested she wasn't dead.

The second thing is that it's already been well-established that the Staff of One cannot resurrect people, and that if it ever did, there would be dire consequences. Nico may be "back" in the next issue but we have absolutely zero reason to believe that it's the same person she was prior to dying -- which is, frankly, virtually the same as still being dead.

#29 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@john_valentine: Two things worth considering. The first is that you responded to a statement made 28 days ago. At the time of writing, she had just been killed, with an empty life bar beside her dismembered corpse, and with the author explicitly telling people who said her help spell would bring her back that "Nico is dead." The previews for issue 12 did not exist. And no one at the time would have suggested she wasn't dead.

The second thing is that it's already been well-established that the Staff of One cannot resurrect people, and that if it ever did, there would be dire consequences. Nico may be "back" in the next issue but we have absolutely zero reason to believe that it's the same person she was prior to dying -- which is, frankly, virtually the same as still being dead.

Because in the last month it became all that much more apparent that Hopeless wasn't going to kill her....

Side-note: Didn't realise the preview for issue #12 was out already.

#30 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Like I said, you were calling out and questioning something that was 100% true at the time it was said. Moreover, Hopeless did kill her. She was very much dead. The question isn't whether he would kill her, it's whether he would (or could) bring her back. And it remains to be seen that he actually has.

The unlettered preview for 12 came out a couple weeks ago and generated the controversy. The lettered (and slightly longer) preview dropped around midnight.

#31 Posted by rickpenna (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Mettle is not dead, It was a F$@ˆ%$ robot!! As you can see in pg 22 of AA #12! But looks like not all of the deads are realy gone... Any way, I don't think she will die. Or maybe she will die and come back alive (not the first time... nice Healing Factor, rsrsrs). Any way, after that I guess she is done with the Avengers. I hope they will create the X-23 vol. 3 and she goes solo again.

#32 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickpenna: I think you are very much taking too much for granted from that last page, for what it's worth.

#33 Edited by rickpenna (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: Maybe you are right, but here is what I think. Arcade don't have any real power, so he have to use tricks to pretend he have. He can't just blow up Mettle, so he blow up an robot in a way that people believe he have that kind of power. Just a trick, an Illusion. It could be the same with red raven, I don't know... I beleave that Chris Power is alive in that tube on the left and Red Raven MAYBE alive on the tube on the right. If she is dead, why she is not on a table like Juston (in the center) and Kid Briton on the bottom right of the page?

Kid Briton and Juston are dead, all right. They ware killed by the other kids, so I believe this is final. And what the hell is Kid Briton's head doing on a fish pot?

First I was thinking that If Mettle was a robot, Laura would have smell it on the beginning. But after that stupid attack on Apex, I don't believe that Hopeless knows here full potential.

#34 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18696 posts) - - Show Bio

the last pages were a bit of a confusing factor here.

On one hand mettle was a robot, but on the other KID BRITAIN's HEAD is in a jar >_>

#35 Posted by rickpenna (17 posts) - - Show Bio

the last pages were a bit of a confusing factor here.

On one hand mettle was a robot, but on the other KID BRITAIN's HEAD is in a jar >_>

For what I understand, when Niko put Apex and DeathLock underground, they accidentally drop at Arcade hideout. Make sense that is was beneath Murder World... After all, Arcade did emerge from the ground at the beginning at the story. Deathlock had a view at the facility and the "Trophy" room, where Arcade keeps the bodies.

About Kid Britain's head... It will probably team up with no-Girl and Headpool!!! LOL

#36 Posted by animehunter (2292 posts) - - Show Bio

what could this mean

found this preview, found in an interview with Hopless & Gage by CBR, which I suspect is from the Boss Level arc, which seems to suggest that Trigger Scent has been released and Laura has either killed, which is more likely, or injured someone very badly, judging by the blood dripping from her claws.

#37 Posted by OldManJoe (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Money says that X-23 will be a bad guy for this Boss Less nonsense with the use of the trigger scent. Hopefully she can pull through this series and get into something better. And with any luck, this series will come to an end after this next arc.

#38 Posted by animehunter (2292 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldmanjoe: Unfortunately, according to Hopeless, there has been mentioned of a confirmation that there's going to be a season 2 of the book.

#39 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4885 posts) - - Show Bio

1st I heard it is ongoing it has no plans to end just yet. II.) She will die. Just watch.

@cobalion said:

I hated how Mettle was the first to die, that was a kick to the groin.

X-23 is quite possibly the only reason people read it (oh and Nico, Chase, Reptil etc.) she is probably the only one in the series with a reasonably sized fan base, thats a reason why they most likely kill her off. Dennis hopeless will probably get his house burnt down for it, or be assassinated lol.

I dont get why Finesse or Lightforce weren't in it are they not popular enough.

I actually like x23, cammi, Anachronism, and Bloodstone.

( + )

#40 Posted by Kirateufel (25 posts) - - Show Bio

what happen If they kill X-23 and Arcade make a robot of her imitating Laura's trigger scent and Apex control her?

#41 Edited by animehunter (2292 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like we can breathe a sign of relief, because of Decembers solicit shows her appearing in ALL-NEW X-MEN #20

• The fallout of X-MEN: BATTLE OF THE ATOM continues!

• X-23 is back and kissing… WHO IS THE MYSTERY MAN??!

#42 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter: It's been spoiled for like two months now that she was going to survive... I mean her not dying was so obvious that they pretty much just went "Screw it" and revealed she was showing up later at a panel at some con. As expected, no one was surprised.

#43 Posted by animehunter (2292 posts) - - Show Bio

@nico4ever: I wasn't there at the con, so to me this was the first confirmation of her survival, I mean I did hear that she was mentioned in a interview, this just solidified it for me.

#44 Posted by OldManJoe (90 posts) - - Show Bio

While I am interested in who that is when her, I'm more interested in which team she's going to end up on. I know that this is a cover for All New X-Men, but her costume looks like it belongs to someone on the Uncanny X-Men line up. Seriously, she looks like she's taking fashion advice from Emma Frost.

#47 Edited by csguterres (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like we can breathe a sign of relief, because of Decembers solicit shows her appearing in ALL-NEW X-MEN #20

The mystery man is certainly Young Cyclops.

#48 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking my joy for Laura's survival supersedes pretty much all negativity I might have, but...

...but honestly this is an absolutely horrible thing to show Laura doing on the heels of Arena. It's tasteless both in respect to Laura herself (considering what she has just gone through) AND in respect to the memories of the people she will have just survived to make it into a post-Arena book.

Yeah, solicits and covers lie, but just as I was critical of the Arena cover with Hazmat & Reptil (and that was an homage, so it almost even had an excuse), I think showing something like this for promotional purposes is in poor taste.

All that said, Bendis has not upset me yet with ANXM or UXM, and I'm enjoying BotA. So I really hope the Bendis-haters are wrong about him and he continues to be a writer I can enjoy -- though a cover like this has me, for the first time, not so sure.

#49 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

man i really liked how battle of the atom was unfolding and Laura was headed back to X books but this induces so much rage and as much as I am punching walls in my head right now, that new suit looks surprisingly good, I wonder if the brown see through.

#50 Edited by animehunter (2292 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter said:

The mystery man is certainly Young Cyclops.

You were right :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.