Unscripted Review: X-23 #1

• 71 results
#1 Edited by CaptainGenisVell (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Been waiting for this for awhile, glad they haven't messed this on up.

were those actual x-men diapers/nappies?! lol

If she was a true assassin, wouldn't she do like Hit-Girl and use her cuteness and age as an advantage?

#2 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice!
I like that cover^^

Im a big fan of 23, I guess I'll be getting this!

#3 Posted by Baillie (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I love 23. I'm not a big comic book fan but this has intrigued me!

#4 Posted by Gennadius (244 posts) - - Show Bio

Btw guys she is confirmed for being in MvC 3 too (its on gametrailers)

#5 Posted by The Cracked Genome (326 posts) - - Show Bio

I was affraid that this comic would be rubbish when I first heard it was coming out... I've never been so glad to be wrong. 
I was hoping to see some interaction between X-23 and Elixir, since he's the only person her age who was in X-Force (and I haven't seen him since X-Force 25). 
Also G-Man, Hellion is Telekinetic, that probably helps when using the bathroom!
#6 Posted by longbowhunter (7300 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to hear good things about this issue. I really love everything I've read X-23 in. From NYX to New X-Men to X-Force. I like her way more than Wolverine.
#7 Edited by ka385385 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

wait for paperpack ......that's not fair.....
#8 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

This does look pretty cool. I know the cover doesn't fit thematically, but I like it anyway.

#9 Posted by G-Man (36774 posts) - - Show Bio
@countvontrey: That's what I was trying to say. It's a nice cover, but doesn't really fit with the character. If they did one of those anniversary issues, it'd fit perfectly as one of the pin-ups. Just, even with the broken glass, it didn't feel gritty enough to portray X-23 as she is in the comic. I hope it doesn't throw people off if they're looking for a more cheerful comic.
#10 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:  

And I see what you mean by 'cute little girl' she looks adorable on the cover, but it is a gross misinterpretation of the character.  

Also I like how Babs was complaining about Fraction's most recent issue of UXM with Emma Frost's uncharacteristic portrayal. I didn't like it much either. I think I will have to swing by and pick this one up.
#11 Posted by ka385385 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:
but that is really cute indeed:) 
i really love this character.
#12 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn´t sure about this series, so I didn´t order it. But I flipped through the issue when I was at the store and now I think it could be quite good, so I´ll wait for the trade.

#13 Posted by The Stegman (25054 posts) - - Show Bio

so should i pick up the wolverine goes to hell and daken-dark wolverine stories too to go along with this?

#14 Edited by ateygheyev (93 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:

" so should i pick up the wolverine goes to hell and daken-dark wolverine stories too to go along with this? "

I'd say more the Wolverine because of the references to hell. But Daken is still such an interesting character and I'm sure X-23 and him will cross paths eventually...I mean more than the couple panels they already have.

I agree about the cover.  This is a situation that I would pick up the variant if it was at my shop.
I think X-23 left when Wolverine showed up cuz he called her X.  Its just one more reminder that she's not the "normal kid" they want her to be.  In contrast Storm called her Laura and was able to put her at somewhat at ease.
#15 Posted by The Stegman (25054 posts) - - Show Bio

"i could buy a pair of jeans, that's my bus pass" bravo babs keeping it classy

#16 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to pick this up

#17 Posted by A-Strondinaire (370 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the cover it looks cute it's like "yeah you think she's innocent not after all the mess she's been through"

#18 Posted by Gawdzilla (376 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man 

Its Maddison Jeffries who made Karma her Leg not Forge, but yeah Hellion needs some hands.
#19 Posted by sparty-dbq (820 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently, I'm the only person who didn't think much of this issue.  I mean, I really like X-23, I think it's great she has her own series, and hell, I'll probably still buy it just to contribute to the sales numbers, but for some reason, I was just very indifferent by the time I finished reading.
#20 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

wish they give her a better name then x-23

#21 Posted by CRACKERMAN92 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

BEAUTIFUL

#22 Posted by danhimself (22630 posts) - - Show Bio

loved this issue except for one thing that really made me mad....Surge was such a b!tch in this issue and I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to get over that....like she made me want to punch her in the face....and I used to like Surge

#23 Posted by sora_thekey (8180 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to read this because it ties into the Hell Wolverine story... which I am really not that interested in
but I want to read this because of the writer and X-23!!!!!
Oh what to do?

#24 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

GOD BABS I LOVE YOU, YOU ARE THE ONLY GIRL THAT CRACKS ME UP.

#25 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe there's actually a few different cover variants for this issue, which surprised me when I saw. 
My personal favorite is the Marko Djur....deviic...jur... whatever his name is, variant.

#26 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to dig into this. 

#27 Posted by Grimoire (546 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I am going to check this out.

#28 Edited by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @countvontrey: That's what I was trying to say. It's a nice cover, but doesn't really fit with the character. If they did one of those anniversary issues, it'd fit perfectly as one of the pin-ups. Just, even with the broken glass, it didn't feel gritty enough to portray X-23 as she is in the comic. I hope it doesn't throw people off if they're looking for a more cheerful comic. "

They have some nice variants. My local comic shop ran out before I got a copy, so  gotta pick up a variant they have coming in next week.
#29 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I think X-23 has lots of potential, and I'm glad to see the character get a good start.

#30 Posted by xSIZEMATTER (43 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm not interested but nice video.

#31 Posted by dr.x (553 posts) - - Show Bio

what happen to wild thing ? 
#32 Posted by H_Rosado (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to address a VERY serious issue. How does Hellion pee?

Well, he is a telekinetic, so he can undo his pants, aim his peewee and probably control the pee stream with his mind. With enough training, he can even learn to telekinetically shake his member with care, so he won’t have to bother Forge for yet another prosthesis.

#33 Posted by SwaggaB0y (5262 posts) - - Show Bio

This is prob why shes in MVC 3

#34 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellion has been a bitch lately, they really have done no justice to the character, so i really home he is in this series a lot, and make him into a cool character once again.

I'll prob wait for trade on this series, but I am really happy it is good. I miss new x-men (loved that series, really dont like new mutants) so i hope rockslide and mercury are in the book a lot also. hope this book does really well. glad it got a high rating! sweet.

#35 Edited by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is just doing his job...He's becoming BATMAN

#36 Edited by k2 (473 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha.  Liked this interview, only two comments.

1) X-23 was not the only new X-men on X-force. Elixir was on it as well. 
2) The Hellion diaper comment made me lol. Poor guy! It just keeps getting worse and worse for him doesn't it? And yes, how he gets past the mind-boggling challenge of being a telekinetic that lives without hands 
     (and demonstrates how he does it in the same issue),  I'm truly mystified by how he manages to take a leak. Maybe he just hold it in till he gets new hands? ;-) Still the diaper thing was funny and fits his luck.

#37 Posted by Krak0 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Do not underestimate the power of the super absorbent X diapers. 

#38 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I checked this out based on the ads that I've been seeing in Amazing Spider-Man and having not followed the X-Men in comics before, I thought this was pretty good and will continue to pick it up. Hopefully Marjorie Liu is on this for more than the first five or so issues like what happened with Black Widow.

#39 Posted by BaBaBoom (274 posts) - - Show Bio

I got a part-time job just to buy this issue (and every single X-book)

#40 Posted by FLStyle (368 posts) - - Show Bio

This video sums up why I keep coming back to CV. In-depth chat powered by pure enthusiasm for comics. Great job.

#41 Posted by k2 (473 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, thought of something else. Back when Marjorie Liu released her X-23 one-shot, I didn't like it much, or think she was writing X-23 too well. She was in character, but the plot really didn't float my boat. But apparently I was mistaken regarding her writing skills; I think the real difference is you just can't do much with a one-shot issue. I really hope she stays on the comic, this first issue wildly exceeded my expectations and gave me a taste of how I used to anticipate getting the New X-men stuff by Kyle & Yost. Great job. The dream wasn't too strange to me. It was a dream, dreams don't make sense, they usually have symbolic meanings (example: losing a tooth in a dream means loss of control over one's life); and since Wolverine has a "going to hell" arc right now, it makes perfect sense that Laura would dream about it. 

Also, I agree about Hellion's hands. They must be holding back on robot hands for him for a good reason. He's probably going to get his real ones back somehow. I suspect that's what the Nov/Dec Hellion arc is about.

SPOILER (talking about a scene)

#42 Posted by Maverick7 (64 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mumbles: like what?Sometimes the characters name is enough.
#43 Posted by Maverick7 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet there wil be 23 isues-ba-dum-sha.lol.

#44 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

$3.99?  Yikes!  I might have to pick it up.  I haven't been into any Marvel stuff lately, but this whole Wolverine/Daken/X23/X-Force thing has me really curious.

#45 Posted by angelus2402004 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

If you guys read the other X-23 one shot:
http://www.comicvine.com/x-23/49-32044/

You can understand more about the hell thing going on in the current issue

#46 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

Def gonna pick this up now! Awsome review!

#47 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I love X-23 far more than Wolverine, I just can't get over my lack of interest towards hims and the over saturation is not helping at all. I want to see more of her and I hope she keeps her series, with her getting more exposure in games and mainstream media, this could be promising for me to see one of my favorite characters get noticed. :)

#48 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, 

Babs please by my mom! I love your way of parenting....

#49 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Babs and G-man , Hellion is a telekinetic. How do you think he does he's bathroom buisness?

#50 Posted by Lustwish (531 posts) - - Show Bio

weird review.  like you guys were strangers. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.