Follow

X-23

Character » X-23 appears in 2383 issues.

X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. She has recently aged up, being saved from the Vault.

Review: X-23 #2

Detektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By k2

I don't agree. I think Majorie Liu's doing a great job. We're seeing all the monologue boxes for Laura now because--duh--this is the X-23 series. Of course it's going to show what she's thinking. She thought alot before, just didn't say it out loud. 

I am loving the address to the Hellion/X-23 relationship. Hellion isn't dropping his alpha attitude...he's always acted a little different around girls he likes. Remember Sofia Mantega? Yeah, the girl who said 'I like you when we're alone. With others...'. He likes Laura, ergo he is not a jacka** to her. 

I agree on the brown haired Hellion part. At first I didn't notice his hands were missing, so when he came in the room, I was like oooh who's this boy? I was excited when I realized. It's strange, the colorist got Laura's eyes wrong on the first issue, and Hellion totally A+++. Second issue, Laura's eyes are correctly green, and now Hellion's got brown hair. WTF? But that's the colorist, not the writer or illustrator. 

I'm not terribly excited at the hell plot, but I'm very interested to see Laura is going to fight for Hellion's life. I liked that he said she was his best friend; I think that's because she's becoming that. He realizes she's the only one that does not treat him differently because of his new disability, and it means alot to him. His other friends are probably treating him weird; this was shown in Issue 1 when the Cuckoo (Celeste I believe) tried to hand-feed him. That's a little degrading of her, seeing as he is a TK. 

Some events were a little strange, I didn't care much for the homeless shelter, and I noted Laura seemed to be injured for the whole issue, when she can heal from gunshot wounds to the head in about a minute. That wasn't accurately represented. I thought Hellion walking in and lying down dead stupid; there should have been a bit of a fight. What happened to his shielding himself, like he used to in the old days?

But I like how she writes X-23, I like the internal monologue, I like how she writes Hellion, and she gets ten thumbs up from me for touching on their relationship (I'm borrowing some thumbs...don't ask).

Detektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Detektor
    @k2 said:

" I don't agree. I think Majorie Liu's doing a great job. We're seeing all the monologue boxes for Laura now because--duh--this is the X-23 series. Of course it's going to show what she's thinking. She thought alot before, just didn't say it out loud. 

I am loving the address to the Hellion/X-23 relationship. Hellion isn't dropping his alpha attitude...he's always acted a little different around girls he likes. Remember Sofia Mantega? Yeah, the girl who said 'I like you when we're alone. With others...'. He likes Laura, ergo he is not a jacka** to her. 

I agree on the brown haired Hellion part. At first I didn't notice his hands were missing, so when he came in the room, I was like oooh who's this boy? I was excited when I realized. It's strange, the colorist got Laura's eyes wrong on the first issue, and Hellion totally A+++. Second issue, Laura's eyes are correctly green, and now Hellion's got brown hair. WTF? But that's the colorist, not the writer or illustrator. 

I'm not terribly excited at the hell plot, but I'm very interested to see Laura is going to fight for Hellion's life. I liked that he said she was his best friend; I think that's because she's becoming that. He realizes she's the only one that does not treat him differently because of his new disability, and it means alot to him. His other friends are probably treating him weird; this was shown in Issue 1 when the Cuckoo (Celeste I believe) tried to hand-feed him. That's a little degrading of her, seeing as he is a TK. 

Some events were a little strange, I didn't care much for the homeless shelter, and I noted Laura seemed to be injured for the whole issue, when she can heal from gunshot wounds to the head in about a minute. That wasn't accurately represented. I thought Hellion walking in and lying down dead stupid; there should have been a bit of a fight. What happened to his shielding himself, like he used to in the old days?  But I like how she writes X-23, I like the internal monologue, I like how she writes Hellion, and she gets ten thumbs up from me for touching on their relationship (I'm borrowing some thumbs...don't ask). "

1. She didn't use to "think a lot". She was running on instinct. If all the pages when she was stalking Hellion or sulking or slaughtering Purifiers were littered with thought captions, what would be in them?
    2. All guys act different around girls they like. But remember when Julian said "I can't stop thinking about a girl who literally scares me"? We're getting none of the second half of that sentence. Marjorie Liu isn't doing justice to the darker side of the character.
    3. Mercury's his best friend. She's also X-23's best friend. And she probably knows best of the New X-Men about ostracism and image issues. Where the hell is she?
    4. If you didn't like the rest plot, how can you possibly approve of the issue based on Hellion talking to her for three panels?
    k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k2
    @Detektor: 

1. Sulking? I hope you're not counting Chris Claremont's run with her, because I don't count that as part of X-23's run. He didn't know anything about the character when she was given to him. Yes, Laura 'thought a lot'. Her thought captions would have been filled with questions, trying to understand what is happening to her in regards to the other students. Remember, she stalked her aunt Debbie too, and then approached her after a certain period of time. She does this to learn information on her 'target'', as she learns through observation. While slaughtering Purifiers, yes she's running on instinct and also thinking moment-to-moment strategy--as anyone would be in a fight. 

2. Yes, all guys act different to some degree around girls they like. Julian never said he's less scared of her now; but I think he's had a hell of a lot scarier things happen to him recently...and he's seen X-23 do nothing but fight for his side. That tends to make you trust a person more. And before you say "but she was on x-force and now everyone hates her and is afraid!", X-force saved his life. He's intelligent enough to know this kind of team was necessary. It's the team he felt was missing when he acted outraged to how everyone was just letting the humans push them around. If he had known Cyclops had another pot in the fire, he probably would have had more confidence in the X-men's decisions.  

3. Yes Mercury is a good friend, I'll even say his best friend. But has her reaction to his hands been shown? I can imagine her being unable to help herself looking at his hands and feeling bad for him, maybe acting differently. She's a good person and doesn't mean wrong, but he might feel this and feel better about someone who doesn't do that. I can't prove that, though, so how about being able to have more than one best friend? I know I don't, like, make a list of my friends and put anyone at the top. My partner is my absolute closest to me, then I just have a multitude of friends. Either way, I still agree with him calling her his 'best friend'. 

4. Plot: I'm not crazy for parts of it, such as the homeless shelter, and the way Hellion was injured so fast. There are too many panels of the demon taunting Laura. I must add that I'm generally not excited in mystical/X-men crossovers, so it's not the writer's way of telling the story that is in question for me, it's a matter of personal taste. Generally I like keeping the universes separate, ex: Buffy for my mystical, X-men for mutants. That said, I am interested in the general concept of Laura realizing Logan is not himself, and then her going to hell the context that it has the potential to strengthen her self image, realizing she does indeed have a soul (a question she's been struggling with for a long time). And the part with Hellion being involved at all is a very positive bonus for me, as no other author has even touched on their relationship in the past, and it's something I would like to see more of. 

There! My 4 points! *pant pant*
    Detektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Detektor
    @k2:  

1. Okay, so what's running through her head when she's crouching at Hellion's bedside watching him sleep? What information is she learning? She must have built up a huge amount of intel on how to slaughter everyone in the X-Mansion by now. Or was she engaged in a massive series of internal monologues, as you seem to suggest? If so, it seems to me that she would eventually have come to a conclusion of some kind - but it took the intervention of a romance novelist to even get her to start up a conversation. Brooding doesn't necessarily entail contemplation. It seems slightly more likely that she was just following him around because his scent and physical features appeal to the right part of her animalistic brain. As she said towards the end of Kyle and Yost's run, she doesn't understand what she's feeling.
    2. See my post in the Hellion forum thread which got kinda derailed.
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I knowing nothing about X-23 picked up this series and have been enjoying it, I personally am not caring for the Wolverine Goes to Hell story being in this and if Wolverine story lines are just gonna be spilling over into this title, I may bail out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a830f8074f3a
    deactivated-5a830f8074f3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

if she really stick with keller ,than it's against my own philosophy ,  and i quit.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.