Follow

X-23

Character » X-23 appears in 2383 issues.

X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. She has recently aged up, being saved from the Vault.

Never read marvel before, is it worth it?

AgentOfAnarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AgentOfAnarchy

Hey, I am a huge DC fan but have never had much interest in marvel. All I have ever seen of the X-men is the films and when I was younger I pretty sure I used to watch an animated series? Anywho what I have seen of x-23 around the vine interests me and I was thinking of reading her current series. Do you think it is possible to do this and still understand what is going on? Or are there things I should really read before, or is there too much back-reading needed to sufficiently get a grasp of the story?

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#2  Edited By HaHaManHV

You can pretty much jump on, but if you find yourself lost I would go back and read her previous two minis, New X-Men (With the kids, not Grant Morrison's book), and X-Force. It's not too much and it's pretty much everything with her

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @AgentOfAnarchy said:
    " Hey, I am a huge DC fan but have never had much interest in marvel. All I have ever seen of the X-men is the films and when I was younger I pretty sure I used to watch an animated series? Anywho what I have seen of x-23 around the vine interests me and I was thinking of reading her current series. Do you think it is possible to do this and still understand what is going on? Or are there things I should really read before, or is there too much back-reading needed to sufficiently get a grasp of the story? Thanks :) "
    Well i started reading x-23's series with only my knowledge of her from x-men evolution, but the first issues of her comic gives a refresher about her backstory so they are a good jumping on point but you can always pick up the her trades X-23 innocence lost and X-23 Target X and those cover her origin 

There's also her stint on X-Force(22 issues collected in a HC) which i heard was good and she has a stint on New Mutants & NYX(3 issues), but those you can hold off on if you want if you want but should probably read at some point to fill in most gaps  that are referenced i her current series because they deal with her character trying to fit in with the x-men but having trouble letting go of her original purpose as a killer

Luckily X-23 is still fairly new so catching up on her whole backstory isn't too hard, you can even read her wiki page to get the basics
    fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By fbdarkangel

X-23 is totally worth it! she is an awesome character!

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By jrock85
    @AgentOfAnarchy: 
    The easiest way to get caught up on her is to just read her wikipedia page. I highly recommend this book. Its one of the few X-titles worth reading.
    X-23
    AgentOfAnarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentOfAnarchy

Thanks guys :) I read innocence lost and loved it <3 Now starting on her recent ongoing :)

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By cascadeking09
    @AgentOfAnarchy:  Target X was really good too. That was the first thing I ever read with her, but I think the time she spent with New X-men was kinda boring and poorly written.
    AgentOfAnarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentOfAnarchy
    @cascadeking09: Thanks, I will look into reading target X.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By cascadeking09
    @AgentOfAnarchy:  you're welcome.
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By mewmdude77

You best read some Spider-Man comics while you get those X-23 comics!!!

dlzut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By dlzut
    @mewmdude77:
    I totally agree with you  
    Spiderman is the best - since 1962 !!!
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mewmdude77
    @dlzut said:
    " @mewmdude77: I totally agree with you  Spiderman is the best - since 1962 !!! "
    He's always been my favorite!!! 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @mewmdude77 said:
    "You best read some Spider-Man comics while you get those X-23 comics!!! "

That's not the purpose of the thread.  Please respect AgentOfAnarchy's question, instead of going completely off-topic by talking about Spider-Man instead of X-23. 

@AgentOfAnarchy: Regarding the current X-23 ongoing series, yes you can just start with this new series.  I've found that it completely ignores any of the groundwork established by other writers, the way X-23 & the other X-Men are written out of character.  That's my personal take on the series though, and I know that I'm in the minority as many people seem to think it's brilliant. 

My personal suggestion would be to get the trades of her previous limited series.  X-23 came before Target X, but I think that the latter is a stronger story.  It incorporates wider elements of the Marvel Universe, introduced a new enemy into her backstory and had beautiful art.   Both of the mini series have self-contained stories that explore X-23's origins so you can't get lost in massive amounts of backstory.
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mewmdude77
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @mewmdude77 said:
    "You best read some Spider-Man comics while you get those X-23 comics!!! "

That's not the purpose of the thread.  Please respect AgentOfAnarchy's question, instead of going completely off-topic by talking about Spider-Man instead of X-23. 

I understand the purpose of the thread, but since he hasn't read much Marvel, I was suggesting he should read some other Marvel things as well, like Spider-Man. Its not completely off topic. It's just a good strategy so he'll get more interested in reading more Marvel. Marvel is all good read and he should try reading more Marvel. And where better to start expanding to the Marvel U than their big character Spider-Man? Marvel is a good comic company to read and i was just trying to get another Marvel fan. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.