If Wolverine adopted X-23...

#1 Posted by Kairan1979 (16897 posts) - - Show Bio

In X-23 #2 Logan stated that he wants to adopt Laura as his daughter.

Question is, can the adoption make Laura's life better or worse?
1. Wolverine always treated his other teenage students (Wolfsbane, Jubilee)  better than Laura. Even Gambit noticed it. Maybe this is going to change when she becomes his daughter.
2. Let's not remember that the number of Wolverine's enemies is endless. While they don't care much about his clone, they'd eagerly go after his adopted daughter. 
Please state your opinions on the matter.
#2 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be beneficial for Logan and Laura. She may be the only loved one who can't die by his enemies, but you never know.

#3 Edited by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Laura states right there that he and her are already family, she may not be his "legal" daughter and Logan may not be the best of fathers, but she still refers to herself as if she was. 

But I don't think Logan treats Laura differently, he just takes a different approach to letting her learn what it means to be who she wants to be. Laura it's like Jubilee or Kitty Pryde, Laura has been through things those two have never been through (sure Kitty went through the whole assassin thing and Jub's is now a vampire) but Laura grew up her whole childhood being thought how to be a weapon, and Logan can see how she has a hard time regarding herself as anything else but that, especially after being place on X-Force. Logan knows that the only she can truly find her place in this world is to go out and experience on her own (like he did after being used by Weapon X).

You'd think after they heard what she did to Deathstrike, villains would think twice before crossing not only X-23, but knowing that when they did they wouldn't just have her trying to kick their butt but would have her old man coming to back her up. What's worse: One Wolverine trying to kill you or two Wolverine's trying to kill you? xD

But overall I believe it would help make Laura's life better, seeing as sure Wolverine hasn't been through exactly what she has, but he's got a pretty good idea of what she's been through and has a better idea of what she has to do to find a life for herself. So I think it would help build their characters, seeing them grow closer together and would add a little more to their realtionship. Because whether people agree or disagree with this statement, the one thing that makes Laura different then the other girls Logan has taken in like Jubilee or Kitty Pryde (or even Armor is you want to count her) is that she IS his daughter, and to me that makes all the difference.

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who'd 'go after' Laura purely to try to get to Logan is an idiot. She'd chop them up before Wolverine could think 'Snikt'.
#5 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan already has another adopted daughter in Asia somewhere, right? Or was that just another sidekick?

#6 Posted by Kairan1979 (16897 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg
Amiko Kobayashi was his foster daughter.
#7 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979: Would it matter if he adopted her or not? Shes already living with the X-men and shes more than capable of taking care of herself. If he did adopt her, it would only be a title. It wouldnt mean anything at this point in her life. Mutants dont need parents. They have each other.
#8 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I don't see their relationship being any different, even if it did become "official."

#9 Posted by Kairan1979 (16897 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123

and shes more than capable of taking care of herself. 

It's not about Laura being able to take care of herself. Laura needs a family. Mutants need parents as much as the other people.
#10 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:
@doordoor123

It's not about Laura being able to take care of herself. Laura needs a family. Mutants need parents as much as the other people.
No she doesnt. Why would she? She has what like fifty other people she has that can be considered parents or guardians. She doesnt need a father. You need a father at young ages but shes past the age where she needs a father. Shes already grown into her own person. She needs friends.
#11 Posted by crowncoke (206 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
@Kairan1979 said:
@doordoor123

No she doesnt. Why would she? She has what like fifty other people she has that can be considered parents or guardians. She doesnt need a father. You need a father at young ages but shes past the age where she needs a father. Shes already grown into her own person. She needs friends.

Where do you get this mentality?  You do have to understand that Laura was 'aged' till she was a teenager.  She may be physically almost an adult but she does not have the experiences of someone her age.  Everything she has is violence.  What little affection she had was ripped from her.  I think that Logan or anyone that was willing to step in as a 'loving' parent would be perfect for her.  If not a parent then she needs an older sibling that is not out to kill her but to look out for her best intrest (Gambit stumbled and fumbled in this role... maybe Ms Lee could handle it better).
#12 Posted by andrea_mendoza1997 (342 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they always do, anyways it it good that Wolverine adopt Laura that way their relationship can improve. Like others have commented before Laura is fully capable of taking care of herself.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (25009 posts) - - Show Bio

He wouldn't need to she is biologically his daughter why do people keep calling her a clone she has the DNA of 2 parents theres a technical term for it  OFFSPRING ie she is his child not his clone she was just a test tube baby 

#14 Posted by fbdarkangel (4884 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
He wouldn't need to she is biologically his daughter why do people keep calling her a clone she has the DNA of 2 parents theres a technical term for it  OFFSPRING ie she is his child not his clone she was just a test tube baby 
that's what I keep saying!
#15 Posted by andrea_mendoza1997 (342 posts) - - Show Bio
@fbdarkangel:  That is very true it is quite annoying.
#16 Posted by joshmightbe (25009 posts) - - Show Bio

Those who keep calling her a clone obviously don't understand the concept of cloning which is to produce an exact genetic duplicate of something meaning if she was a clone she'd be a guy with 3 claws on each hand and none on the feet and messed up pointy hair 

#17 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I think this is the writers attempt to make a little distance between them in order to distinguish her character more.
2. They already are. Most of Wolverines enemies stem form either Romulus or any branch of the Weapon X program. They share the same enemies as a result.

#18 Posted by rokusan23 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a good point that Laura looks more like Sarah Kinney's clone rather than Logan's xD And thank gawd she's so pretty :3

#19 Posted by joshmightbe (25009 posts) - - Show Bio
@rokusan23: She doesn't look like wolverine because she's not a clone
#20 Posted by exhyni9 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

Josh is right she is his daughter already they just haven't made it official

#21 Posted by daredevil21134 (12357 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit should adopt her, mon ami

#22 Posted by Kairan1979 (16897 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty
she can't even kill Kimura. Logan's opponents can be more tough.
#23 Posted by Westlife (1798 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Gambit should adopt her. Ever since Wolverine's son came into the picture, it's like he doesn't even pay her any attention, so Gambit had to be her companion. I think it would be good for things(and pretty cool) if she was the one to kill Daken. I wonder how that would affect their relationship.

#24 Posted by DonavanWolfMaster (136 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
Those who keep calling her a clone obviously don't understand the concept of cloning which is to produce an exact genetic duplicate of something meaning if she was a clone she'd be a guy with 3 claws on each hand and none on the feet and messed up pointy hair 
Even in real life clones aren't exact in appearance. You can pay crap loads of money to duplicate your dog and they often have come out with different markings.
#25 Posted by joshmightbe (25009 posts) - - Show Bio
@DonavanWolfMaster: then you're getting ripped of because if it isn't an exact genetic match its not a clone
#26 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

Just to clarify the 'clone' thing...

Laura is not, by text book definition, a clone... If she were, then all 46 of her chromosomes would have come from Logan...  They did not...

Dr. Kinney had all of Logan's chromosome's but ONE... they Y chromosome.   Men have an X chromosome from their mother and a Y chromosome from their father. (we all know that, I"m just stating for clarity's sake.)  Also, the Y chromosome is about half the size of all the other chromosomes so it carries much less DNA/genetic information than any other chromosome...

Dr. Kinney used one of her own X chromosomes in place of Logan's missing Y chromosome....

SOOOOOO, Laura has 45 chromosomes that are IDENTICAL to Logan's and she has ONE of Dr. Kinney's chromosomes...  Percentage wise she is 97.8% Logan and 2.2% Dr. Kinney...  (97.8 / 2.2.)... If she were an cross like everyone else she'd be 50/50...

No, she is NOT a clone by textbook definition, but she is VERY close...  She is MUCH closer to being a clone, than she is to being an offspring of two parents....

#27 Posted by rokusan23 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, from Innocent Lost, I know that the Y chromosome from Logan was damaged... So the the remaining X chromosome was duplicated and made to a girl... Well, she is not exactly a clone, but yes, according to Sarah Kinney... a genetic twin... Fine, I stand corrected.  

And thank Thor too xD A hairy girl woulda been... irk-some 

:O

#28 Posted by bsmith1190 (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@exhyni9: Maybe Marvel hasn't given us an answer on whether or not it was official, but I say there's enough clues and hints lying around that you can pretty much tell

#29 Posted by Dx2texas (1 posts) - - Show Bio

What comic is this From Can some one show me i Really want to get it :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.