Wytches #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: This review was originally published on September 11.

The Good

Scott Snyder and Jock have teamed up once again for a new creator-owned series. If you read ourinterview with Snyder, you have a good idea what this series is about. You probably don't need me to tell you how great it is or to even convince you to pick it up. But I will regardless.

WYTCHES is a different sort of series from Snyder. We've read his BATMAN stories as well as AMERICAN VAMPIRE and THE WAKE at Vertigo. Scott Snyder is out to creep us out. And he succeeds in this issue. With a creator-owned series, he's starting from scratch. He doesn't have decades of character development already in place for us to relate to the characters in the issue. He has to establish the tone while also introducing us to the main characters and making us care about them. That's part of what makes you feel so uneasy. You do immediately care for the characters. We start to see more backstory and you just can't help but wonder how badly this is going to get for everyone.

Actually, before we get into the heart of the characters, we get some creepy-as-hell opening pages. Jock's art and Matt Hollingsworth's color will definitely make you feel a little sick in the stomach. Don't get me wrong, it's not gross over the top graphic imagery. It's just plain old disturbing. How the scene plays out and what it sets up will stick with you.

It's not all doom and gloom either. As I mentioned, you get a good sense of the characters here. There's actually some good times as well. It's a great mix of good old fashioned storytelling with great visuals and a really dark feeling brewing in the horizon.

The Bad

We get plenty of established backstory, new characters are fleshed out, and we get a great taste of the darkness this series will contain. There wasn't anything I didn't like.

The Verdict

If you're a fan of Scott Snyder and Jock, getting this new series is a no-brainer. This is a great first issue that introduces us to new characters and clearly establishes what horrors we can expect to see. This is the sort of comic you'll want to read during the day. There are some definite creepy moments without it ever crossing the line into graphic or grotesque imagery. Be prepared when you pick this issue up. Let your comic shop know to order you a copy. Orders are due by Monday. You don't want to miss out on this one.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

In Snyder I Trust.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Jeez...this was dark. Like really, really dark. This was pretty great though. I instantly felt a connection to the father and daughter. I've waited a year or more for issue one, I guess a month isn't too long of a wait for issue #2.

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

And the supplier omitted this book when shipping to my comic shop. Figures.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a great first issue

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow just wow it was dark but so great

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

Absolutely brilliant.

Image are THE company for creators with big ideas. Snyder and Jock kill it beyond words.

I do feel like I already know the connection between the father/daughter and the past event, which is either me being astute, Snyder being uncharacteristically obvious or a great twist, but I'm excited for more.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Glad I listened to the comic shop clerk when he recommended me this title. I'm sold to the series and will definitely be on my pull list. And reading this while listening to the Silent Hill soundtrack at night makes it even more of a blast!!!

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

cheluprim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So good! Totally lived up to and surpassed all my expectations :)

Rokso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this first issue very much. I really liked the creepy tone throughout the whole book. Also, the premise of the Wytches is very intriguing. Gonna be hard to wait month to month to continue reading this story

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book just oozes creepy. I'm typically not a big fan of horror stories, but definitely going to keep reading this one.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By Teerack

This was so great. That last page has me really wanting the second issue. The only thing I didn't like is I felt like the kid hitting in his mom in the face with the rock kind of ruined the creepy start of the book by him not seeming scared at all.

Ashr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only was the story and art fantastic, the backstory by Snyder at the end of the issue along with the pictures was well worth the read.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashr said:

Not only was the story and art fantastic, the backstory by Snyder at the end of the issue along with the pictures was well worth the read.

Yeah this too. :)

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@teerack: I loved that scene especially with what he said.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review.

CatBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Agree completely, Tony.

This series is hitting a little close to home, because as Snyder explains in the Afterword of the first issue - I had a similar experience as a kid at my family's cabin in Northern Michigan.

Love his play with the "Wytch" creatures - as actual demons that "witches" would worship.

Can't wait to see more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.