batwatch's Worlds' Finest #12 - The Price of Fame review

BatWatch Review: Worlds' Finest #12

The Price of Fame

It's incredibly hard for me to try to take this series seriously. It's right up there with Catwoman in that it is just absolutely dreadful in most issues. It does not feel as if the creative team is even trying. My one point of hope for this issue is in the fight between Power Girl and Desaad for I hope that Power Girl, after twelve issues of being basically unchallenged, will finally have a decent fight on her hands. Beyond that, I'm limited to talking about the return of the boob window as a noteworthy event, and that just exposes how lacking in substance this series is since I can think of nothing more interesting to mention.

To See This Review with Image, Click Here.

Does this issue surprise me by being a delightfully fun filled and intelligent action adventure or is this just one more nail in the coffin of my almost completely extinct hopes for this series?

In this issue, Huntress and Power Girl do battle with Desaad and we get a flashback to the Worlds' Finest taking on the Yakuza.

How Predictable Is Worlds' Finest?

Tuesday in my On Deck article, I posted an outline for this issue of what would happen if the series remained as stale and predictable as usual. Let's see how well I predicted things.

Did Power Girl fight Desaad without difficulty? Yep, Desaad did not so much as land a blow.

Did Power Girl make a forced sex joke? No. Surprisingly, this issue was sex pun free.

Does this issue interrupt an intense scene to show a meaningless and trivial flashback? Of course! You can't have an issue of Worlds' Finest without a flashback which serves no purpose!

Did Power Girl end up thrashing Desaad? No. That will no doubt be reserved for next issue. After their initial conflict and the flashback, the story decided to stretch three pages worth of information into eight pages.

Did Power Girl let Desaad escape to save Huntress? Power Girl saved Huntress twice from fights in which she got in over her head in this issue, and one of those times resulted in the Finest fleeing from Desaad.

Did Power Girl and Huntress learn nothing from this encounter? Arguably, they did learn something. The girls decided at the end of the issue to go underground with their operations. However, I was under the impression that their identities were already secret to everybody except the inner circle of Karen's company, so what gives?

In short, this series is horribly predictable.

Bat Droppings

1. The fight never really felt significant because Desaad never landed a blow and Power Girl never let loose.

2. If everybody is seeing Desaad as Michael Holt, why did everyone look upon Desaad with panic and run away?

3. Also, how can Power Girl's vision see through his illusion. Isn't Desaad's power based in magic against which Kryptonians have no immunity ?

4. I did miss the first...three issues of this series, so if anybody can explain how Desaad knows who and where the Finest are, please drop me a line.

5. The art is okay this issue. We have some exaggerated expressions, but they did not really detract from the story. As always though, the shift between artists is extremely rough.

6. The story seems to be trying to make some kind of point about popularity, but I'm not sure what the point is.

7. Again, we see an apparently important figure at Starr industries, and we are given the impression we should care about her, but who the crap is this lady?

8. You might think the unveiling of the new (old) costume would have some sort of fanfare or explanation. Nope, it's just a new suit. However, I will admit that I got a little bit of a sentimental glow at seeing her back in her classic costume even though I've never been a big Power Girl fan. I also have to admit it looks better aesthetically even if it looks better for all the wrong reasons.

Conclusion 3/10

This series sucks!

More Recent Reviews:

Detective Comics #20

Worlds' Finest #12

Batwing #20

Legends of the Dark Knight #45 - #47

Li'l Gotham #9

For more news, reviews, and commentary for the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net.

Edited by Ravager4

PG getting her classic costume back was explained in Supergirl #19 (and if you want to read something where Power Girl actually feels like the Power GIrl of old, give that issue a whirl).

Edited by BatWatch

@ravager4 said:

Wise choice.

I knew Power Girl was crossing over with Supergirl, but I didn't realize they did the costume change there. What was the reason for it?

Have you liked how Ravagers has been portrayed in The Ravagers?

Posted by Ravager4

@batwatch said:

@ravager4 said:

Wise choice.

Have you liked how Ravagers has been portrayed in The Ravagers?

Well her other costume got torn to shreds (again), and when she brought an unconscious Supergirl back to her undersea Kryptonian hideout, she mentioned wishing she had a change of clothes, and the hideout's computer/AI/machine whatever popped out the costume for her. So her costume is officially Kryptonian now... at least she won't lose it every issue now. Still needs a new freaking writer though...

And um... was that supposed to be plural? Do you mean Ravager (Rose)? In which case, see here, as it covers everything about her. Or do you mean the whole team?

Posted by BatWatch

@ravager4: Oh brother. They just love getting her naked. Sad. Yes, she definitely needs a new writer. I can not fathom why Worlds' Finest is selling. I would not pay a dime for it if not for BatWatch.

Yeah, I meant to say how do you like Ravager, but I guess I should have said Rose to avoid confusion. I think we talked about your hopes that she would be featured more in Ravagers several months ago before Michael Alan Nelson took over, and now she has, so I was just wondering on your opinion. I did not read your entire commentary because...well, that's quite a lot, but I did skim a little and read your thoughts on recent issues, but you were basically just stating her feats. How are you enjoying her portrayal in Ravagers. I think it has improved myself.

Also, you say Rose knocked out Terra. Where are you getting that? For that matter, where are you getting Jericho?

Edited by Ravager4

@batwatch: Well she's definitely been portrayed as far more conflicted, with an underlying sense to do good, but still retaining her hard exterior while essentially following Harvest mostly out of fear that he'll kill her if she doesn't play by his rules, so points there for not having her as a bloodthirsty villain like in the first issue... *shudder*

Now that she's out of N.O.W.H.E.R.E. and not under Harvest's control, though, she should have opportunity to become more her own character than someone's lacky, I hope (that is if she shows up anywhere else any time soon...). And That Terra/Jericho stuff was in Deathstroke #19, which takes place after The Ravagers #12. We'll find out next week how exactly it happened, but Rose and Terra end up going with Deathstroke in order to stop the Majestic threat, which originated in Team 7.

Obviously Slade accepted Harvest's contract in order to get his daughter back, but his other half of the payment was Terra, who John Lynch described as the keys to stopping Majestic... not sure how that's going to work, but we'll see in Deathstroke #20, I suppose.

Posted by BatWatch

@ravager4: Yeah, they've definitely evolved her a bit. What's your guess on how the last issue of The Ravagers will play out?

Teen Titans also skipped right past The Ravages #12. What's up with that? I guess we know for sure that Fairchild, Ravager and Beast Boy will survive the series.

It's hard to imaging Terra stopping Majestic.

Posted by Ravager4

@batwatch: Well if I had to guess, Rose will reveal to Caitlin that she is a clone of the original Catilin, they'll argue, Caitlin upset that Rose kept such a secret from her and Rose saying it was to protect her her or not wanting to hurt her or something, they'll work through it and go find whatever the hell they're looking for in the lab to stop Deathstroke. Meanwhile, Deathstroke will take down the rest of the Ravagers, some stuff happens, the place will blow up, some will get away and some will die, Rose will discover something shocking about her own origin (hopefully, would love some clarification on the parts they've effed up there), whatever plan they had to stop Slade will fail, Deathstroke will take Rose and Terra back to Harvest (maybe Rose offers to go with him in exchange for not hurting Caitlin), who will give them over to Slade as payment, then they will go on their way...

Um... but yeah, just a guess.