pspin's Worlds' Finest #10 - Some Things You Can Change, Some You Can't review

Worlds’ Finest #10 Review

Worlds’ Finest #10 Review

Overview:

Power Girl gets revenge on Holt Industries while Huntress finds out about Damian’s death.

The Good:

The story is pretty solid for the series. This was a particular step up because it shows Power Girl being heroic and saving civilians as opposed to the more selfish way she has been betrayed here. It was also an interesting take on what would happen if someone with Superman’s powers used them for more mischievous ways; she wasn’t being malicious exactly and really got hurt so it was interesting to see. Batman shows up, which is good, even if he doesn’t meet Huntress, his presence shows that he is at least aware of Huntress’s existence. Helena’s reaction to Damian’s death is kind of a mixed bag. It shows that she cares about her family even if they aren’t her family thus giving her a depth of character but it was a little out of nowhere.

Paul Levitz does a better job writing and seems to be getting a better handle on the characters. Is it perfect, no, but it is better. Maybe it is because the issue already had an established direction to go in but this issue seemed better for some reason.

Finally there is only one artist on this series and it is glorious. Kevin Maguire has the sole drawing credit and it gives the issue some much needed consistency.

The Bad:

While the story is better than normal for the series, the Power Girl part, which is most of the first half of the issue, revolves around her getting back at Holt Industries for the break in last issue. This wouldn’t be a big deal if the characters didn’t bring up bits and pieces of the cancelled Mr. Terrific series. Apparently it Power Girl was in it and there was some bad blood between the two. They do give the basic overview of the end of series but it they reference more and it is a little confusing.

Helena’s reaction to Damian’s death is a little out of nowhere. She completely breaks down and while they were kind-of-not-really half-siblings when they met, Damian was a total jerk for most of the time. Don’t get me wrong, it showed that she cared for the other members of the Bat-family, but it was a little odd.

Verdict:

Overall this is a solid issue of Worlds’ Finest. There is okay writing and consistent art and it elevates the issue a bit more than normal. The issue showed that the series is picking up a little steam with the reveal at the end and this is another step in the right direction for it. Hopefully it can get going and use some of the potential it has.

3 out of 5

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

I didn't really find that scene to show Power Girl being any less selfish, she kind of HAD to save all those lives because that whole disaster was caused by her throwing a temper tantrum and smashing up Holt's underground lab.

Posted by pspin

@The Mighty Monarch: True but I felt that if this happened earlier in the series, she would have left them there even though it was her fault.