what did you think of the end

#1 Posted by Iron Spider (69 posts) - - Show Bio

i thougth the figth was great but i don't get what happened

#2 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

It was vicious so i heard.
Post Edited:2007-11-18 22:39:46

#3 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

I was underwhelmed. It feels like Marvel has been delivering a consistent less than stellar performance, especially on their major crossover events. I don't like the fact that a character as powerful as Black Bolt suffered an embarrassing off-panel defeat. Dr. Strange invoked the power of a freaking demon, but was crushed by the hulk when his back was turned? It was nice and expected to see iron man trashed, and not surprising that Mr. Fantastic wouldn't be able to do much against the Hulk, but in the finale the Sentry with "the power of 1000 exploding suns" was one of the biggest disappointments, providing relatively little fight against the Hulk for someone who has been so incredibly over-hyped since his arrival. I'm sorry, if he was so freaking powerful he should be able to simply pick up the Hulk and Hurl him through space toward another galaxy. Despite his immense strength, in the vacuum of space Hulk would have little control over his trajectory and far apart as astrological objects are in the universe (even if he could survive the cold and vacuum indefinitely) he certainly would be floating for at least a few decades or so.

Finally the Hulk himself displayed a shameful performance. I'm a fan of the semi-mindless and uncontrollable Hulk. I don't begrudge him a personality, but the way Mastermind Excello explains things Hulk has never killed ANYONE??? No in a single one of his crazy mindless city smashings did Hulk ever accidentally kill a single innocent soul by toppling a building or two? So not only does Hulk now have access to Banner's immense total intelligence, he can use it as an almost subconscious fashion where he plots his every destructive move in a way that no one would get hurt? Stop me if I am misunderstanding what I read, but the entire premise is just silly.

So the entire event was just a cry for attention on the part of the Hulk, and nobody actually suffered in the long term because of his loss. Boo hoo.

#4 Posted by Green Flash (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the part where he's almost submurged in green power and he almost stomps the planet...but I was left wanting a little more...I liked how Hulk was more powerful than sentry...sentry has always just seemed a little odd and schizo?....

#5 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry always seemed a bit of ashow off and never did anything to back it up. Then came when it was time to prove himself he got beat down thats what made it so joyfull for me becuase to many people over estimate the man and believe his lies then keep stating hes stronger then thor because he had one stand still and beat absorbing man..

#6 Posted by c40 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

you are wrong my friend,it was a devastating end like the civil war,now we wait for what is coming after the SMASH! because this war change the world again:) i wonder when hulk will get up from this state?and son of hulk? i think it is worth to wait;)

#7 Posted by Omnus (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I just loved this series. Hulk is my favorite character and him kicking the Sentry's butt was the highlight though it could have been made better after all the hype.

#8 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

NiteFly says:

"I was underwhelmed. It feels like Marvel has been delivering a consistent less than stellar performance, especially on their major crossover events. I don't like the fact that a character as powerful as Black Bolt suffered an embarrassing off-panel defeat. Dr. Strange invoked the power of a freaking demon, but was crushed by the hulk when his back was turned? It was nice and expected to see iron man trashed, and not surprising that Mr. Fantastic wouldn't be able to do much against the Hulk, but in the finale the Sentry with "the power of 1000 exploding suns" was one of the biggest disappointments, providing relatively little fight against the Hulk for someone who has been so incredibly over-hyped since his arrival. I'm sorry, if he was so freaking powerful he should be able to simply pick up the Hulk and Hurl him through space toward another galaxy. Despite his immense strength, in the vacuum of space Hulk would have little control over his trajectory and far apart as astrological objects are in the universe (even if he could survive the cold and vacuum indefinitely) he certainly would be floating for at least a few decades or so. Finally the Hulk himself displayed a shameful performance. I'm a fan of the semi-mindless and uncontrollable Hulk. I don't begrudge him a personality, but the way Mastermind Excello explains things Hulk has never killed ANYONE??? No in a single one of his crazy mindless city smashings did Hulk ever accidentally kill a single innocent soul by toppling a building or two? So not only does Hulk now have access to Banner's immense total intelligence, he can use it as an almost subconscious fashion where he plots his every destructive move in a way that no one would get hurt? Stop me if I am misunderstanding what I read, but the entire premise is just silly. So the entire event was just a cry for attention on the part of the Hulk, and nobody actually suffered in the long term because of his loss. Boo hoo."

lol very nice. i thought it was disappointing too but i didnt want sentry to do anything like what youre saying. if you think about it, no one fights like that in comics. superman should be able to do the same but he never does. that fight with doomsday should have taken just a couple of pages before superman tossed him into space. but that would be boring and would make supes or sentry too powerful compared to everyone else.

#9 Posted by Omnus (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Not necessarily. I mean I have always thought in the first fight all Superman had to do was throw Doomsday into space or into the sun. It is purely a lack of fighting skill for superman. I mean just take a look at how Superman fought Doomsday and How Hulk fought the entire X-men. Hulk was countering and fighting according to each X-men's powers and abilities. that is a true fighter. and if Superman had really thrown Doomsday out into space, the writers would have to show Doomsday coming back and this would make it a better fight.

#10 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"NiteFly says:
"I was underwhelmed. It feels like Marvel has been delivering a consistent less than stellar performance, especially on their major crossover events. I don't like the fact that a character as powerful as Black Bolt suffered an embarrassing off-panel defeat. Dr. Strange invoked the power of a freaking demon, but was crushed by the hulk when his back was turned? It was nice and expected to see iron man trashed, and not surprising that Mr. Fantastic wouldn't be able to do much against the Hulk, but in the finale the Sentry with "the power of 1000 exploding suns" was one of the biggest disappointments, providing relatively little fight against the Hulk for someone who has been so incredibly over-hyped since his arrival. I'm sorry, if he was so freaking powerful he should be able to simply pick up the Hulk and Hurl him through space toward another galaxy. Despite his immense strength, in the vacuum of space Hulk would have little control over his trajectory and far apart as astrological objects are in the universe (even if he could survive the cold and vacuum indefinitely) he certainly would be floating for at least a few decades or so. Finally the Hulk himself displayed a shameful performance. I'm a fan of the semi-mindless and uncontrollable Hulk. I don't begrudge him a personality, but the way Mastermind Excello explains things Hulk has never killed ANYONE??? No in a single one of his crazy mindless city smashings did Hulk ever accidentally kill a single innocent soul by toppling a building or two? So not only does Hulk now have access to Banner's immense total intelligence, he can use it as an almost subconscious fashion where he plots his every destructive move in a way that no one would get hurt? Stop me if I am misunderstanding what I read, but the entire premise is just silly. So the entire event was just a cry for attention on the part of the Hulk, and nobody actually suffered in the long term because of his loss. Boo hoo."

lol very nice. i thought it was disappointing too but i didn't want sentry to do anything like what youre saying. if you think about it, no one fights like that in comics. superman should be able to do the same but he never does. that fight with doomsday should have taken just a couple of pages before superman tossed him into space. but that would be boring and would make supes or sentry too powerful compared to everyone else."

I'm not saying that is what Sentry should have done. I'm just making the point that as far over-hyped as they made the Sentry that it should have been easy for him to dispatch the Hulk in some fashion. As Buckshot mentioned in another thread the power of however-many exploding suns didn't turn out to be that big of a deal.

About him being more powerful than everyone else they compare the guy's power level to a freaking multitude of exploding suns!! If he was anywhere near that powerful he is already going more powerful than damned near anything on Earth.

#11 Posted by Omnus (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm what I have against that idea is that it is always taken for granted that a superhero's power limit is constant and that he can access the entire quantity of his power at once. Simply put, Hulk took out Sentry before he could generate the power of a million exploding suns

#12 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

Omnus says:

"Hmmm what I have against that idea is that it is always taken for granted that a superhero's power limit is constant and that he can access the entire quantity of his power at once. Simply put, Hulk took out Sentry before he could generate the power of a million exploding suns"

I disagree.

From another WWH thread:

The comic seems to say otherwise (about Sentry "holding back" or not using all he has). First, when he was talking about how good it feels when you "finally let go", then the two pages in it where he talks about not being able to stop, and then the last part of their fight when he uses up all his energy and reverts to Bob-mode. If he were holding back, he'd have more to fight with; he wouldn't have run out of juice.

From a Newsarama interview (with the writer and editor):

"NRAMA: Also with the Sentry - he's pretty much beyond pain at this point, isn't he? After all, he's getting the crap kicked out of him too...GP: Yeah, he's reveling in the insane exhilaration of shedding all his inhibitions and finally unleashing all that power. But when the buzz wears off, those Hulk haymakers are gonna sting.NRAMA: The Sentry’s "Goodbye old friend" - what was that prelude to? I don't mean to sound like the guy who only saw the special effects and missed the story - but what happened to the Sentry and Hulk to change them back to Bob and Bruce? Was this Bruce consciously deciding to stop, to save the world by sending the Hulk away?GP: "Goodbye old friend" is the Sentry's way of saying that he figures they're both going to die now that he's unleashed his power so completely. Bob and Bruce appear because these two megaheavyweights have pounded each other so hard and so long that they've forced each other to revert to their respective puny human forms.MP: And thank God they weren’t naked!NRAMA: What an…interesting thing to bring up…"
#13 Posted by Omnus (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I have not seen Sentry hold back at all anywhere during the fight. The fact that he changed to Bob was kind of like an after-effect of his powers which even he had no knowledge on because he has never used that amount before. But still there is no doubt, the ending is so ambiguous that everybody can decide what to make out of it.

#14 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

Omnus says:

"Well I have not seen Sentry hold back at all anywhere during the fight."

That's what I'm saying, he didn't hold back. Everything he's got just ain't all it was cracked up to be.

#15 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Omnus says:
"Well I have not seen Sentry hold back at all anywhere during the fight."

That's what I'm saying, he didn't hold back. Everything he's got just ain't all it was cracked up to be."

That would seem to be the case.

#16 Posted by Omnus (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I said the ambiguity is always an issue. I can say that the Sentry didn't get to use the full amount of his power limit and was taken out before that. I also feel that this battle just showed how strong the Hulk has become now. So the Sentry's hype was validated at the cost of the Hulk now being truly unbeatable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.