Follow

WonderCon

Concept » WonderCon appears in 3 issues.

Annual comic book and entertainment convention held each year in San Francisco.

Wonder Con '10: My Complete Experience

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

So this might seem dumb since Wonder Con was 2 weeks ago and the hype for Cons right now is focused on C2E2. Regardless of that I wanted to share with you guys my complete Wonder Con experience.
    If you follow me on Twitterthen most of the things I post here will not seem new, but here's all I did plus commentary.

No Caption Provided

Friday

First day on the way to the Con... I got lost! 
    So I arrived late but I did get some pictures of awesome cosplay (I have all of the pictures I took below) 

This day I didn't spend a lot of time on panels, but the first thing I did that morning was to go to the Hero Initiative panel, where I was surprised to find so little attendance. The panel was about-- well the official description can explain it better than me:

Hero Initiative president Jim McLauchlin and Cartoon Art Museum curator Andrew Farago preview the Gallery's Ed Hannigan: Covered exhibit Friday, from 2p.m.-3p.m. at a WonderCon panel. See some of the great art that will be up for auction at the party, and catch the world debut of the Ed Hannigan video, celebrating the works of the great artist.

It was enlightening to find out about Hero Initiative, I had only heard of this organization before, but never actually paid attention to it. 
    I thought I should share with all of you the importance of Hero Initiative and the Cartoon Art Museum. So I asked for an interview and got one with Andrew Farago:

(I apologize for all the movement on the camera, my camera-man was my 13-year old friend who I praise for helping me! Also I have no fancy equipment which can block the sound around us, please excuse that too, also the music editing came out all wrong... I'm sorry again!)

The reason I missed a lot of panels that day was because I spent a lot of time in the Wacom Technology Booth. They were promoting their new tablets, being one of the things I wish I could have but am too poor to get...
    Why did I spend most of my Friday afternoon in that booth? ...you'll see why!  

Did you see the guy with the Joker face make up? Yeah he's PsychoMunkee... and he and I are teaming up to do art...
    He wasn't a CV user before Wonder Con, but I persuaded him to join... 
    We are now working together... I draw and he digitally inks and colors:

Saturday

On the second day I arrived late again... but this was the day for panels, cosplay pictures (below) and meeting Comic Vine and Anime Vice staff.

I stumbled upon the CV staff on the floor as they filmed floor coverage. It was really nice to see them again. Oh and @Babs... I'm so sorry I thought you were cosplaying. Somebody took a picture of her from behind (stalker maybe) and he made me think that she was dressed as a character who was unknown to me... So again: Sorry!
    So as they left and made video magic I stayed and talked to Anime Vice's dynamic duo John and Gia! That was a lot  of fun and I regret so much that I forgot to take a picture with them... Oh well, then I left for panels...

I went to four panels: 
    - Geoff Johns Spotlight (A lot of Q&A)
    - X-Men Panel (A lot of "We can't talk about it yet")
    - DC Panel (A lot of things we knew already)
    - and the Activision: Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions Panel (The one I liked the most) 

Activision Unveils the New Marvel Game: Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions— Be the first to hear about Activisions all-new Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions video game from the perspective of acclaimed Marvel writer Dan Slott (The Mighty Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, and She-Hulk comic book series), actor Christopher Daniel Barnes (voice of Spider-Man TV series, 1994-1998; Greg Brady in The Brady Bunch Movie, 1995; voice of Eric in The Little Mermaid, 1989), developer Beenoxs Creative Director Thomas Wilson, and Activision Senior Producer Meghan Morgan. See exclusive screenshots and videos of the new game and prepare to be surprised with the unique, unexpected worlds Spider-Man will adventure through in Activisions latest foray. Get a side-by-side look at the collaboration of old versus new, dive deep into an exciting new universe never before seen in Spider-Man video games, and discover two new villains in the upcoming game exclusively at the panel! 

Why was it my favorite? Well I'm not really big on video games since my money goes to Comics... anyways but the reason is that my introduction to Spider-Man was the 90s animated TV series (Which I know it was for most of you too). Christopher Daniel Barnes is MY Spider-Man and I had him right in front of me. I literally closed my eyes and just listened to his voice during the panel and had flash backs of Saturday mornings...

Sunday

I actually didn't spend more than 2 hours at the con on Sunday. I went to the Marvel panel which was a lot of: "We can't talk about it yet", and a guy who was mad at Marvel for having too many events...

The rest of the day I spent buying comics and trades: 

Finally have the Death of Gwen story!
     Finally have the Death of Gwen story!

Pictures

Here's the gallery with all my pictures of the weekend! 

So that's pretty much my weekend in San Francisco!
    Leave me comments on why it would have been awesome to have you guys there with me... because I would've loved that! or whatever you want to write down there, but leave me feedback!
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i'm glad you had a good time, and im also glad you privileged us to share in your experience.
    i would've been entranced in the Wacoms as well. great to hear about your new endeavor.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sora_thekey
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "i'm glad you had a good time, and im also glad you privileged us to share in your experience. i would've been entranced in the Wacoms as well. great to hear about your new endeavor. "
    Thanks! 
    Wacoms are entrancing!
    Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aspenite

It must have been great. I really liked your videos.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Aspenite said:
    "It must have been great. I really liked your videos. "
    Yeah it was great... Thanks!
    MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By MichaeltheFly

Great job, Sora, really great job. Nice drawing btw, and good videos.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.