Updated: WonderCon Cosplay Photo Explosion

Posted by AHR (55 posts) - - Show Bio

AHR here; Whiskey Media video producer, podcast guest star, and all-purpose supernerd. 

This Wondercon weekend saw me primarily trailing Babs and G-Man with 400 pounds worth of video equipment strapped to my body, but somehow I also managed to take a few shots of the the con's finer examples of cosplay. 

One of my favorite costumes of the day was this dude in his awesomely homemade Zur En Arrh getup. For those of you who aren't familiar with Silver Age Batman AND somehow missed Grant Morrison's Batman RIP run (shamezors!), Zur En Arrh is....um, it's like this Batman Persona that Bruce goes into when he wants to be even crazier than normal? Or maybe he's from a parallel universe? Also space might be involved. Look, it's a Grant Morrison Silver Age retcon character, it's not easy to explain. But all you need to know is the costume is bizarre and garish, and this guy is totally making it work. 

Check out the rest of my serviceable yet low-res photos in the gallery below. 

Highlights include: 
  • Gender Swapped Captain Hammer and Doctor Horrible (YES!) 
  • Molotov Cocktease (will this become the new standard in the ultimate hot nerd costume, replacing Slave Leia?  I hope so!) 
  • A whole troop of Mandalorians 
  • Coraline's Other Mother (those button eyes are creepy as hell) 
  • Arkham Asylum video game versions of Harley Quinn and Scarecrow (Scarecrow dude has his pose DOWN) 
  • A really convincing Ares (he even scared Babs!  That's not easy!) 
  • Hipster Nerd Ash with Pikachu (solid look) 
  • A Star Trek Lady and a Star Wars Lady with Futurama brain slugs on their heads.  Epic Crossover Win.

Updated with more photos!

#1 Posted by robokungfu (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Molotov...

#2 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

That Ares outfits pretty spot on

#3 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Link

#4 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

Rorschach.

#5 Posted by Hawkling (178 posts) - - Show Bio

The Other Mother looks awesome~

#6 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank You for sharing all these photos.  I really admire anyone who has the gumption (or is that gumbo?--ha) to make a costume, wear it and parade around in it to bring a lot of our favorite and not-so favorite characters to life.   

Nice job with the pictures, nice choice of costumes to show. 
#7 Posted by inferiorego (21102 posts) - - Show Bio

Akbar for the win..

IT'S A TRAP!

Staff
#8 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the batgirl picture the best

#9 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

Ares outfit is dead on. same with the Halo 3 dude

#10 Posted by Golden Cod (412 posts) - - Show Bio

Those steampunk costumes make me smile...

#11 Posted by mrrpm01 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

nice costumes, you have to take your hat off to any and all cosplayers regardless of how spot on or the take on the character.  I think the best part of it is how you can get lost in the character and just have fun.

#12 Posted by Nateabusa (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing like good cosplay costumes to put a smile on my face. And while molotov  is hot...NOTHING will replace Slave Leia.

#13 Posted by AHR (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@Golden Cod said:
" Those steampunk costumes make me smile... "
There were tons of them!  I only got two pictures, but there must be a great Steampunk Society in SF, cause the Futurist Victorian era was VERY well represented.
#14 Posted by FLStyle (368 posts) - - Show Bio

The Rorschach went a little overboard with the black on his face! Looks like he split it haha The AA Scarecrow brings back pleasant memories of my game of the year for 2009. Good stuff all around!

#15 Posted by Joey Ravn (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, the Arkham Asylum Scarecrow, the Futurama slugs and Dr. Horrible are an EPIC WIN! And the Batgirl costume in the second row is pretty awesome too. It actually looks really professional-ish.

#16 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#17 Posted by G-Man (30226 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: 

Staff
#18 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4595 posts) - - Show Bio

Hipster Nerd Ash

Whats a Hipster? by ur definition
i googled Hipster and got several different definitions...

i personally liked(from the pics)
Ares
ScareCrow
and
WW2 Cap

i wish Cap(james) was there again... that guys costume was Sick on point...
#19 Posted by ragdollpurps (15571 posts) - - Show Bio

grrr! lol i was working on a purple molotov costume
#20 Posted by AHR (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yung ANcient One said:
"  

Hipster Nerd Ash

Whats a Hipster? by ur definition i googled Hipster and got several different definitions...
I am definitely known for over-using the word "hipster".  I was using it to mean someone who follows trends, but in an ironic "i'm not really trying that hard" kind of way - if that definition is vague enough for you.  That guy's look is a little more clubkid than hipster, if you get right down to it, so yeah, I have no defense.  I should have just said, "trendy ash".  

But yeah, I like it when people cosplay with outfits BASED on a character, or just use a few key elements of the character, as opposed to putting together a costume that looks exactly like someone.  Nothing against costumes that are perfect replicas (those are cool too), but it's nice to see some variety.   
#21 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4595 posts) - - Show Bio
@AHR: 
Thanks one of the definitions i got was someone trying to be unique... another was someone trying to use several clothing styles to create their own... next definition was having "complicated" hairstyle...

and most definitions where IMO... insults... hehehehehe... but yea... ur definition... clearly summaries all the ones i found to a simply being -someone who follows trends, but in an ironic "i'm not really trying that hard" kind of way-   so yea thanks... now i kno

#22 Posted by Red Rum (357 posts) - - Show Bio

My Faves? Video Game Scarecrow and Blackhawk with Raven and Gypsy.

#23 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had to rank them it would be this 

1st  - Ares 
2nd - Unmasked Batgirl 
3rd -  Scarecrow

4th - Baseball Fury

& 5th - Molotov

#24 Posted by cmaprice (808 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd always wondered what a generically ethnic Han Solo-Wolverine hybrid would look like. Today I have my answer.

#25 Posted by Golden Cod (412 posts) - - Show Bio

Lady Punisher looks sweet but Male Domino makes me feel awkward....

The guy in the Battlestar Galactica jock smock makes me happy.   How I do miss the show.

Male Dove?!   Seriously??   I don't mind that he favors mediation over conflict but his character never seemed that compelling or successful.

#26 Posted by matt_cable (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Fat ninjas make me laugh.

#27 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4595 posts) - - Show Bio

Who are these guys there like in 5 pictures up there... who are they suppose to be?

#28 Posted by danhimself (22210 posts) - - Show Bio

gahhhh I almost got poked in the face by Dove

#29 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio
@AHR: Did you remember to take a picture of what you were cosplaying? That hat was awesome! 
Plus I thought that Vixen was amazing... she was pretty cool!
#30 Posted by Grim (2078 posts) - - Show Bio

the Ares is pretty epic. Doesnt hurt that he's got some pythons either, right Babs? lol
 ROFL that guy in the Dove costume is COMPLETELY stuffing! And Snake Eyes looks retired....
...im an ass

#31 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Just to add since you updated with more photos:  VIXEN IS HOT!!  THAT is the way Vixen should look.  YummyCakes. 
#32 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

For the new set of pics I would rank it this way 

1st - Lady Punisher ( she is def. cuuuuute) 
2nd - Cobra Trooper 
3rd - Domino (female version) 
4th - Scarlet 
5th - Black Cat.
#33 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" gahhhh I almost got poked in the face by Dove "
lol Nekron couldn't get him to rise but apparently someone got a rise out of him.
#34 Posted by theWarren (32 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxana Meta: Really!? Then you should watch this
#36 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorites are Hawkgirl and Vixen...lol
#37 Posted by AHR (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:

" @AHR: Did you remember to take a picture of what you were cosplaying? That hat was awesome! Plus I thought that Vixen was amazing... she was pretty cool! "

Ah yes, my famous homemade R2D2 hat.  I don't know if that QUITE qualifies as cosplay, but I am wearing a blue shirt, so maybe it's just like a whole R2 look!

Vixen is definitely my fave of the new photos.  I also want to mention my favorite costume that we DIDN'T get a picture of - it was a Harley and Ivy pair, which of course you see lots of at every con (and with good reason).  BUT, this pair were dressed as Harley and Ivy BEFORE they went supervillian - they were in lab coats (both started out as doctors, y'know), with only hints of their alter-egos - Harley had a diamond patterned tie, Ivy had like, some leaves on her coat or something....but it was TOTALLY obvious what they were.  Unless I'm totally misremembering. I wish I had a picture!!!
#38 Edited by warlock360 (27916 posts) - - Show Bio

HOT DAMN @ Third photo

#39 Posted by warlock360 (27916 posts) - - Show Bio

you should of gotten more of the mini iron man on the right from the Halo guy one

#40 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio
@AHR said:
" @sora_thekey said:

" @AHR: Did you remember to take a picture of what you were cosplaying? That hat was awesome! Plus I thought that Vixen was amazing... she was pretty cool! "

Ah yes, my famous homemade R2D2 hat.  I don't know if that QUITE qualifies as cosplay, but I am wearing a blue shirt, so maybe it's just like a whole R2 look!   Vixen is definitely my fave of the new photos.  I also want to mention my favorite costume that we DIDN'T get a picture of - it was a Harley and Ivy pair, which of course you see lots of at every con (and with good reason).  BUT, this pair were dressed as Harley and Ivy BEFORE they went supervillian - they were in lab coats (both started out as doctors, y'know), with only hints of their alter-egos - Harley had a diamond patterned tie, Ivy had like, some leaves on her coat or something....but it was TOTALLY obvious what they were.  Unless I'm totally misremembering. I wish I had a picture!!! "

Wikipedia definition: 
Cosplay ( コスプレ , kosupure ), short for "costume play", is type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accesories to represent a specific character or idea.  

So yeah a rockin' homemade R2D2 hat is cosplay!
#41 Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy (1297 posts) - - Show Bio

That female Punisher was SOOOOO hot. DON'T DO IT THOUGH MARVEL!

I still blame Tallest Sliver for Lady Deadpool.

#42 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by AHR (55 posts) - - Show Bio

One more very important picture I forgot to include the first time around; RUU-FII-OOOH!  I'm going to be really sad if the majority of yall don't know who this is.  SO CLASSIC.

Credit for this picture goes to Archaia Director of Development Stephen Christy - high angle photography, very classy.
#44 Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy (1297 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxana Meta said:
" @Abnormally Warm Guy: Funny you should say that, they're friends ; ) "
I know.
#45 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

nice pictures

#46 Edited by christopherwalken (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice costumes. Very elaborate.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.