Awesome Toy Picks: DC Direct at WonderCon 2012

Posted by G-Man (30656 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we post a hands on look at some of the coolest toys and collectibles around. This week, we're doing things a little differently. Because WonderCon is happening this weekend in Anaheim, CA, we took the opportunity to give you a slightly closer look at some of DC Direct's upcoming products.

This won't be as hands on as usual since the items were behind a glass case at the DC booth. This is a taste of some of the things we can expect from DC Direct this year.

The New 52 Action Figures

Batman is set for release in May.

== TEASER ==

Superman won't be coming out until January 2013. 2013? Wow. Surprisingly, Superman looks happy having to wait until then.

Wonder Woman was the only other Justice League member on display. It makes sense to release the Trinity characters first. Diana will be released before Superman. She's available October 2012.

There are more Justice League figures...sort of.

Mad: Just Us League of Stupid Heroes

There are more Justice League figures...sort of.

We've seen these type of figures before and they're coming back. But wait until you see these. Check out the one in the back. Oh my.

The first three are out in July and the second three are September.

Watchmen

Are you excited about BEFORE WATCHMEN? There's a lot of buzz going around WonderCon. Those that have seen pages and scripts are pretty excited. But here's some statues coming up.

Rorschach is due in August.

The Comedian will be released in September.

Looks like we all need to start saving up our money.

Spy Vs Spy

I love these guys. These PVC figures will be released in May.

Do you have a certain spy of the two you like to root for?

The Dark Knight Rises

Of course with the upcoming release of the movie, we'll be seeing some product from the movie. Check out these out.

There's a 1:6 scale Catwoman statue due for June.

There's also this Catwoman bust but I have to say she has a rather peculiar expression on her face.

If you like busts, there's more. Here's Batman.

There's also a Bane bust due in June as well.

And here's the 1:6 scale statue of Bane.

And of course, there's also a 1:6 scale Batman statue.

That's it for this week's Awesome Art Pick from WonderCon. There was a lot more from WonderCon. We might just have to post some more next week (after I sort through all the images on my camera.

Staff
#1 Edited by CombatSpoon86 (831 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the MAD Statues,Dark Knight Rises Statues and Busts, Spy vs Spy :)

#2 Posted by SpidermanWins (3980 posts) - - Show Bio

That Superman New 52 figure and Rorschach look real good. The Dark Knight Rises ones of Batman and Bane look fantastic.

#3 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

I want that Superman. It looks great. I didn't see it there. Was it there Friday?

#4 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, Superman wont come out till next year? That seems insane. Both he and Batman looks cool. Wonder Woman's seems kind of plain. Seems as if details are missing, but they could get added before release.
I just can't get over that movie Catwoman outfit. It's not the goggles but those huge spiked heels. Selina is a cat burglar. She needs to ne able to run and be agile. It feels so weird that Nolan would such a stereotype to his films. At least she doesn't have a tail.

#5 Posted by RayOlight (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's redesigned costume is really growing on me, I actually think it looks really good in that action figure.

Love those MAD superhero models, Green Arrow looks great.

#6 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Shut up and take my money!

This has gotta be the best Awesome Toy Picks ever, I'm practically drooling over The New 52 Action Figures. I can't wait to see the whole Justice League together in toy form now.

#7 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice detail on the New 52 statues.

#8 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

I alawys loved mad

#9 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

The Mad figures are particularly awesome.

#10 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

I want that Green Arrow Alfred E. Neuman!!!

#11 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3712 posts) - - Show Bio

"Do you have a certain spy of the two you like to root for?"

The one who gets beaten up more. I have sympathy towards him. But actually, they both get beaten up equally much, don`t they?

Actually, I like the white one more. Because it`s unusual to see a spy who wears a white jacket in pop-culture.

By the way, I`d want to get the Spys-figure. Rest of the stuff is cool too. Especially the MAD-figurines...

#12 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

I looking forward to a bunch of the new 52 dc direct figures

#13 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving the New 52 Superman. New52 Batman looks awkward but the DKR's Batman looks spectacular.

#14 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman's 'new 52' costume is so cool.

#15 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

The new 52 looks awesome, not too sure about the other two. And the more I see Christain Bale's reimagined bat-suit, the more I dislike it, Batman Begins was the way to go.

#16 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

Great stuff, have to say I think i like the Superman one the most

#17 Edited by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

The Mad Stupid Heroes really made me laugh. Love 'em. The first Catwoman statue is sweet, very smexy. So is the "52" Wonder Woman action figure, I do admit I like that costume design.

Real curious about Before Watchmen now, Rorschach looking badass. These are great!

#18 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

The Rorschach one looks awesome.

#19 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw them all and am gonna see them again today when I head back to WC in about 2 hours or so :) All I can say is, I wanted the Wonder Woman and Catwoman ones so bad that this started to play in my head as l looked at them through the glass...

#20 Posted by MrMazz (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I do not like Superman but that figure of him is NICE I must have it. Same goes for the Bane walking one. The winner out of all this is the Comedians.

#21 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

looking forward to the new 52 justice league figures! im disappointed they are being released one at a time spaced throughout the year though...but maybe thats good if they're really expensive...

#22 Posted by Jolt92 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight Rises-stuff looks bad. New 52 and Rorschach looks awesome!

#23 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

new 52 figures batmam superman and ww are the only ones iam getting.

#24 Posted by MrStatham (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I am sorry, but they need to stop basing everything they make on Jim Lee art. I'm getting sick and tired of his art style being the face of the DCU, even spreading into stuff like toys. Why couldn't we have a Wonder Woman figure designed by Cliff Chiang? Batman by Greg Capullo?

#25 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the Comedian!!

#26 Posted by The Impersonator (5057 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman could have broken the glass by now. xP

#27 Posted by Icon (2054 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate having to wait until January for Superman, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait. XD

#28 Posted by Icon (2054 posts) - - Show Bio

I just realized why Superman won't come out til 2013. Next year is the 75th anniversary of the character so it is probably to coincide with that.

#29 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool the Rorschach Swag statue is out

#30 Posted by cracker_jack (220 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman has a huge gap between her legs.....

#31 Posted by longbowhunter (6790 posts) - - Show Bio

@blur1528 said:

I want that Green Arrow Alfred E. Neuman!!!

Just Us League figures are all reissues. I've had the Green Arrow one for years. If you dont wanna wait for these to come out I'm sure you can still find the originals online somewhere.

#32 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (335 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to get the Superman and Wonder Woman. They look cool.

The Spy vs Spy are pretty sweet as well ... I always barracked for the black spy ... not sure why ...

#33 Posted by CitizenJP (594 posts) - - Show Bio

That Superman looks epic.

#34 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

@cracker_jack said:

Wonder Woman has a huge gap between her legs.....

She's not one of those "subtle" feminists...

#35 Posted by bunchofnumbers (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be surprised if DC reverts back to normal before DC Direct releases the whole Justice League. Not that Mattel will be done any sooner.

#36 Posted by Bearded Justice (751 posts) - - Show Bio

i basically wont buy anything unless its dc direct... but it seems to me that the quality of their products has somewhat lessened of late. juz sayin

#37 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio

2013!?! Weren't these first announced last year some time? That's a loooooong time to wait.

#38 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

That Catwoman figure looks sooooo bad... :P

#39 Posted by Queso6p4 (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really diggin' the face on Wonder Woman and the different colored lettering on the Bane bust is perplexing. I do love the Watchmen stuff and the 1:6 scale stuff as well. Pretty good-looking stuff overall.

#40 Posted by JDevil (56 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest I'm kinda disappointed with the New 52 Batman Figure I was hoping it's have a matte finish, similar to the one Superman has.

I'm liking the Watchmen statues and the Supes Figure though.

#41 Posted by darth_geekboy (12 posts) - - Show Bio

i LOOOOVE the Alfred E. AQUAMAN. too funny.

#42 Posted by WizardShazam (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrStatham said:

I am sorry, but they need to stop basing everything they make on Jim Lee art. I'm getting sick and tired of his art style being the face of the DCU, even spreading into stuff like toys. Why couldn't we have a Wonder Woman figure designed by Cliff Chiang? Batman by Greg Capullo?

This is probably a big reason why my Cliff Chiang Batman statue from the Black & White series is one of my favorites. Jim Lee's work is fine but having him design everything DC tends to make it all look very monotonous and 'samey', for sure.

#43 Posted by KidSupreme (824 posts) - - Show Bio

They are really well made!

#44 Posted by Atary77 (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Some cool lookin toys but I can't help but ask, what's with the etched lines all over Batman and Superman's tights? I get they want to make them look stylish and all just... looks kinda weird to me. I'd be ok with just plain tights without all the crazy movie-esqe lines all over them.

#45 Posted by Mad_Wolverine (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like the second Bane is in the perfect 'Come at me bro' position.

#46 Posted by MrStatham (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@Atary77: They're meant to look like the seams Jim Lee has thrown up all over the designs for the new52 versions of the characters. As it is, they look acceptable on the page, but they look stupid on anything 3D.

#47 Posted by AskaniSon295 (427 posts) - - Show Bio

I Hope in the new52 Stormwatch crossesover to the The Watchmen Universe and they kill those monsters that Ozymandias brought forward from the "inter-tentacle god dimension"

#48 Posted by MrStatham (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@AskaniSon295 said:

I Hope in the new52 Stormwatch crossesover to the The Watchmen Universe and they kill those monsters that Ozymandias brought forward from the "inter-tentacle god dimension"

I'm so not sure if you're serious or not, but did you read Watchmen? The tentacle creature is literally one-of-a-kind. There are no more.

#49 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Sweetness. Will do.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.