undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The First Born, as a concept, is one of the more fascinating and character-specific villains to come about in a long, long time. He wouldn’t work in anyone else’s book, and that’s what makes him SO compelling as a character AND as a foil for Wonder Woman. We’re winding down his arc and, while certain things are assured, there’s still plenty up in the air as to who makes the jump to the new creative team. The First Born’s army marches across Themyscira, but they fight and die for every inch of land they march across. That’s one of the great, subtle things that Brian Azzarello has done well: this isn’t some hopeless situation that needs someone to swoop in and rescue. Not immediately, anyway. Things are looking dire, but it’s nice to see the defenders actually “hold the center,” as becomes a regular theme for the story. Azzarello has a lot of pieces to bring together and, for the most part, does a great job bringing them all where they need to be. Moreover, he hasn’t lost a single step on the voices and personalities of each and every character and they are positively LEGION in this issue.

Cliff Chiang’s always had a knack for blending incredibly simple looking visuals with absolute scads of incredible, minute details. It’s a style that lends itself incredibly well to the mythic storytelling of this title, and this issue finally gives him a chance to truly cut loose in some downright Trojan-level battles. The action, the blood, the impact, it’s all here and it’s all great, all leading up to one of my favorite characters he’s interpreted at the end. This end has been a long time coming, and I’m thrilled that Chiang is the one to usher it in. Matthew Wilson’s an incredibly versatile colorist and here his work matches Chiang’s style, making the whole thing look like it was unearthed in the ruins of some ancient civilization, but with far more clarity and crispness.

The Bad

There are a NUMBER of deus-ex machinas in this issue alone and while they don’t “end” the threat, they come out of nowhere and save the moment. Once I could’ve handled, even happily chocked up to following the inspiration of the story, but multiple times someone comes out of nowhere and prevents things from going terribly awry. It’s never against their characters, it just robs the issue of suspense after awhile.

The Verdict

This is a great example of how to build to a finale. The pieces are all on the board, there’s a great, suspenseful cliffhanger, characters have undergone their arcs, but the solution to the central conflict is still very, very up in the air. Regardless of what that solution winds up being, Azarello and Chiang (as well as Wilson) will have solidified a concrete legacy for one of DC’s more popular, oldest characters.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, Hera, wow, surprising there. I hope First Born gets obliterated at the quantum-god level, leaving no small part of him whatsoever, nothing to reprise, resurrect, or reincarnate. He's a bastard-great villain, and hopefully Diana will have the honor, not the infant man-god-king.

Also, don't let Diana hear you say she's old. :)

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue, but I was so mad when it got to the last page. I need next months issue right now!!

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, after finding out the amazon's revised history of rape and murder I really can't find it in me to care that some one is attacking them.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another great PART of a story... damn thing ends mid story!!! This is the only problem I have with the series. The regular pages won't do for WW. They need 30 pages per issue or more. THe flow was cut off and left in a crappy cliffhanger because, well, i don't think it really SHOULD have been a cliffhanger.... Annoying.

Reading WW is kinda hard. Gotta read it several issues at once to truly get the story. It's like watching a movie 10 minutes at a time every week!

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

once again New 52 Wonder woman solo series does great!!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Forgot to get this at the comic store (still kicking myself) and I'm having some issues with the digital store, so I may have to wait a while.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

There is only one thing non-readers need to know about this issue:

• there are mecha-elephants with miniguns as tusks and wrecking balls at the end of their trunks in it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.