inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

First, there's going to be a few spoilers in this review because it's hard to talk about it without giving away a few things. The issue runs a bit slow, but for all the right reasons. Not every issue has to be action packed or filled with giant revelations.

Writer Brian Azzarello is nothing short of brilliant when it comes to crafting this series. It fits perfectly into its own pocket in the DCU and it reads like a fantastic series from Vertigo. It has a great tone and fantastic mythological feel to it. It's a book that grips the reader and won't let go because it's so engaging.

There's some big changes with Wonder Woman and the Amazons on Paradise Island within this issue. Hippolyta has become clay because of Hera and Wonder Woman, who has accepted her claim as the God of War, must now lead the Amazons. This issue is incredibly interesting as some Amazonians don't want Diana in power. There is a power struggle here and Azzarello's dialogue is fantastic at moving this story along.

On the art side of things, Goran Sudzuka's style, with Matthew Wilson on colors, fits the tone to this story incredibly well. As far as fill in artists go, which Sudzuka has done for a few issues on and off now. Sudzuka is the perfect fit. Wilson's colors work well here also. His shading and color choices are a perfect fit and he really makes these characters pop off the page.

The new version of the Minotaur still creeps me out.

The Bad

Jumping onto this book is easy. You just have to start reading at issue one. This series is really in its own little universe (which is the best part about it), so readers needs to have a mindset that nothing else happening to Diana in the DCU matters. Even missing an issue, while reading this book, can throw readers through a loop because a lot happens issue to issue. However, at the same time, this is a book that people should be reading, since it's so brilliant.

The Verdict

WONDER WOMAN continues to be one of the best, if not the best, on-going series at DC Comics. While this character has never been one I've gravitated towards, Azzarello and Cliff Chiang (with Goran Sudzuka and Matthew Wilson) have put together not only one of the most interesting takes on Wonder Woman, but one that will stand the test of time. There's a lot happening in this particular issue which really changes where Diana stands with the Amazons. Instead of spoiling the whole thing, though, you should just go out at pick it up. This issue is setting up something awesome, so jump on board.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"Jumping onto this book is easy. You just have to start reading at issue one."

BAHAHAHA so true

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm content on thinking DC has 2 Wonder Women running around. Hopefully Azz's Wonder Woman will eradicate that club dancing, Superman arm candy, poorly written wanna be and then my confusion will subside.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm content on thinking DC has 2 Wonder Women running around. Hopefully Azz's Wonder Woman will eradicate that club dancing, Superman arm candy, poorly written wanna be and then my confusion will subside.

Couldn't agree more, this is the Wonder Woman that DC needs to embrace. In fact, it's the Wonder Woman Warner Bros. should embrace for a film.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't mind Diana having a night life (I live in Dublin, it's a big part of socializing) but everything else, yes please.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Bezza

The Azz Wonder Woman has certainly grown into a spectacular comic for grown ups! Must say that this particular issue didn't really do it for me on first read, but often with this series you need to re-read it to really benefit.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm curious how the anti-Azz crowd will respond to how Diana addressed one of the largest controversies in the books run

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems that i'm the only one that likes the Superman Wonder Woman pairing.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By justice teen

I hate how short her comics feel. Did they change Artemis name or is this a completely new angry red head amazon.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Wonder what's up with Hippolyta?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@akindoodle:

She shown to be on bar/coffee shops on her own New 52 solo tittle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justice_teen:

That is another Amazon. Artemis is on tea party with Donna Troy, Young Justice´s Artemis and rest of Wonder Woman´s rogue at "We dont exist anymore"

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Cant wait for more...

@vitalius said:

@justice_teen:

That is another Amazon. Artemis is on tea party with Donna Troy, Young Justice´s Artemis and rest of Wonder Woman´s rogue at "We dont exist anymore"

Well in YJ Artemis' case, she has actually appeared in the New 52... sadly for her it was during Lobdell's Culling, where all she really did was getting her face pulverzied so Tim could have an emo moment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:

Also becoming a woman in refrigerator, i guess they really want to be like YJ, but on her YJ, she fake her death to go spy on the light but still was good hero and alive. Ok i replace Artemis with Tempest on tea party.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By cloudzackvincent
    No Caption Provided

@hushofthewind said:

actually the club dancing started on Azz's book

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dernman

I thought this was one of the most enjoyable issues of the series.I also felt it was sending a message to certain fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.