Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Your preference for Wonder Woman's father? (spoilers)

• 55 results
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By fodigg

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By fodigg

With the announcement that Zeus is being made the father of Wonder Woman, I'm curious if that's the god people would've preferred. Select your pick for Wonder Woman's father. Named options were pulled from all male members of the Twelve Olympians.

I'm going with Hephaestus because I feel like he never gets any love and it would provide a reason for her to have all the magical bling.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By super_psycho

Ares becoz he is badass

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mutant God

Hercules
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fodigg

@Mutant God said:

Hercules

Interesting. Wasn't he a bad guy in the old WW lore?

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Izaiah

Eh, IMO, the king of Olympus makes as much sense as her father than anyone else. Although I prolly would have preferred Hades, the god of the underworld if it hadn't been slightly out-of-character for him to cheat on his wife and get away with it (myth-wise, at least).

star notes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By star notes
    @fodigg said:

@Mutant God said:

Hercules

Interesting. Wasn't he a bad guy in the old WW lore?

This would make more sense since Herc and Hippolyta had a thing before
    Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mutant God

Plus wonder woman kinda looks like to me a female version of hercules
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

Superman, Batman, and Steve Trevor. Like a sitcom yes? Well, that and a rip off of Three Men and a Baby. With the added extra advantage of those three characters automatically being excluded as romantic interests forever more, just cause yeah no, I never want to see that in any context. Plus then any angle they play about Superman being her inspiration can be met with a well duh, he's her dad come back. #WIN.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

I picked Hephestus for several reasons. 1 he's my favorite and thus the right answer. 2 he's actually like the nicest god because he learned humility early and is scarred. 3 like th OP said not only would it let WW wear magic bling but Heph would make his little girl more magic bling. 4 WW would get fire powers = Awesome. 5 it makes her Zeus and Hera's grandaughter. 6 it makes her enimes with Aphrodite because this means Hephestus cheated on her. 7 It makes wonder girl her aunt.......well it should but Lobdell F'd it up

CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CodeSaint

I voted for Hades,but I prefer her to be still made of Clay or at least isn't Cassie or Herc's sister.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By iLLituracy
    @SC said:
    Superman, Batman, and Steve Trevor. Like a sitcom yes? Well, that and a rip off of Three Men and a Baby. With the added extra advantage of those three characters automatically being excluded as romantic interests forever more, just cause yeah no, I never want to see that in any context. Plus then any angle they play about Superman being her inspiration can be met with a well duh, he's her dad come back. #WIN.

This should be done.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fodigg

@iLLituracy said:

@SC said:
    This should be done.

lol!

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Primmaster64

Hercules would have made sense I guess...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

I remember reading somewhere that Hades was her father...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Billy Batson

Zeus.
    BB

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fodigg

@Deranged Midget said:

I remember reading somewhere that Hades was her father...

That was implied in the Justice League cartoons.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deranged Midget

@fodigg: Ah, that must be it then, I still think Hades would be a good choice.

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maki_P

I see either Hades of a Mortal donor. None else works

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fodigg

Poor Hermes.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Erik

If she is going to have one, I would rather it be Zeus.

SurelockeHomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SurelockeHomes

I like ares as her father.

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aqua11500

lol none,they are screwing up with this.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Hades. it would make Diana's love and compassion even more amazing because no one would expect it from the daughter of the lord of the underworld

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Pokeysteve

@Aqua11500 said:

Seconded.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JestersJoker

Hercules is Wonder Woman's father............................................................................................................ http://www.jestersjoker.com/Hercules_is_Wonder_Womans_Father.pdf

Speedforce23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Speedforce23

Zeus is her farther.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blood1991

@BlackArmor said:

I picked Hephestus for several reasons. 1 he's my favorite and thus the right answer. 2 he's actually like the nicest god because he learned humility early and is scarred. 3 like th OP said not only would it let WW wear magic bling but Heph would make his little girl more magic bling. 4 WW would get fire powers = Awesome. 5 it makes her Zeus and Hera's grandaughter. 6 it makes her enimes with Aphrodite because this means Hephestus cheated on her. 7 It makes wonder girl her aunt.......well it should but Lobdell F'd it up

Hephestus aka the only Greek god who isn't a complete asshole. My favorite as well. Otherwise good points though I do love all the Hera drama that comes with Zeus being her Father.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jphulk26

SHE SHOULD HAVE TWO MOTHERS, EIther Hera or Athena and Hippolyta. Its a more beautiful story.

@Pokeysteve said:

@Aqua11500 said:

Seconded.

@Aqua11500 said:

Thirded.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OutlawRenegade

I voted Hades. Zeus was a close second. I just preferred Hades because of the animated series. It gives Wonder Woman an interesting twist because her dad is so evil, but she is so good.

I'm just happy that both the Zeus and Hades answers are beating "none" by a lot. Her having a dad is so much better and opens up more stories.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Blood1991: @Blood1991 said:

@BlackArmor said:

Hephestus aka the only Greek god who isn't a complete asshole. My favorite as well. Otherwise good points though I do love all the Hera drama that comes with Zeus being her Father.

Yeah, I've enjoyed the way things have turned out with her being Zeus's kiHephestus would have been interesting but this is good too

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#32  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@OutlawRenegade said:

I voted Hades. Zeus was a close second. I just preferred Hades because of the animated series. It gives Wonder Woman an interesting twist because her dad is so evil, but she is so good.

This.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By SUNMAN

If not Zeus than I'd go with Hercules

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlackWind

No father. Created by women and raised by women.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Skewer

It's a mixed bag for me. In a way by having Zeus as a father and making her a demigodess she kinda losses the one thing that really makes her special and stand out from other superheroes and that specialty wasn't because she was a woman. In the DVD commentary of the Wonder Woman tv series Linda carter stated that what made her special is that unlike superman or Spider-Man she wasn't given powers by being bitten or by being an alien from a distant planet, she earned it through hard work and determination alone. Having her as a demigodess severely underminds that and makes it more of its in her genes than its because she worked hard for it. At the same time not having any male involvement in her birth doesn't quite work for me. It severely down plays the importance of having a father and I'm sorry to say but there's no other word to describe it but its really sexist( and I really hate that word but there's no other word to use and that says a lot). The father doesn't have to be involved in her upbringing, the justice league animated series did it in a way that was faithful to what was in the comics before by having hades say that he helped carve the clay statue before he was banished to the underworld making the interesting revelation that she might have a father while keeping true to her previous origins and thinking about it I think the justice league animated series did a better job with the probability of whether or not Diana had a father than Brian azzarello did. The reason for that for me is that it makes her mother more sympathetic because she was raising her away from her father and not revealing it so that she would protect her from him and his influence and in a way it makes her pretty interesting because her father was pretty evil but she became a hero despite that which speaks volumes to me. To me if I was to vote on who should be her father it would be Hercules since it makes sense although the one from justice league is a close second.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darkman61288

I would have to say a mortal father would be best. It would give her a connection to Man' s world and create an great storyline with her relationship with her father. I know people are going to complain about how she got her powers. She could of been granted them after winning the contest by the Gods.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jphulk26

@Skewer said:

It's a mixed bag for me. In a way by having Zeus as a father and making her a demigodess she kinda losses the one thing that really makes her special and stand out from other superheroes and that specialty wasn't because she was a woman. In the DVD commentary of the Wonder Woman tv series Linda carter stated that what made her special is that unlike superman or Spider-Man she wasn't given powers by being bitten or by being an alien from a distant planet, she earned it through hard work and determination alone. Having her as a demigodess severely underminds that and makes it more of its in her genes than its because she worked hard for it. At the same time not having any male involvement in her birth doesn't quite work for me. It severely down plays the importance of having a father and I'm sorry to say but there's no other word to describe it but its really sexist( and I really hate that word but there's no other word to use and that says a lot). The father doesn't have to be involved in her upbringing, the justice league animated series did it in a way that was faithful to what was in the comics before by having hades say that he helped carve the clay statue before he was banished to the underworld making the interesting revelation that she might have a father while keeping true to her previous origins and thinking about it I think the justice league animated series did a better job with the probability of whether or not Diana had a father than Brian azzarello did. The reason for that for me is that it makes her mother more sympathetic because she was raising her away from her father and not revealing it so that she would protect her from him and his influence and in a way it makes her pretty interesting because her father was pretty evil but she became a hero despite that which speaks volumes to me. To me if I was to vote on who should be her father it would be Hercules since it makes sense although the one from justice league is a close second.

I don´t think you know what sexism means. Its like saying if you had a black character with two black paerents thats racist against whites. There is nothing sexist about the mythology of Goddess granting Queen Hippolyta a baby. Hera is the goddess of marriage and child birth, so obviously she had the power to do this, to transform the clay model to a child. Its a beautiful story, and it need not be changed. It affectively gave WW two mothers, which makes sense thematically with the story. And before you say it makes more sense a man being involved, because thats how it works in the real world, the last time I checked Gods of lightning do not exist and they certainly don´t take human form and seduce women, so that is equally as improbable as a Goddess granting Hippolyta her greatest wish and giving life to a clay model. Also, if people can understand the most famous story in the world, the story of Jesus, in which Mary is a virgin and "God" gives her a child, I don´t see why they can´t understand the WW story. The same as Pinochio. There are stories like this through out the history of story telling. Finally how on earth do you consider WW origin story sexist cause she doesn´t have a father? It doesn´t claim women are better than men. she interacts with men as her equal. she doesn´t hate men or treat them as some how less capable or inferior to her, that is what sexism is, I don´t know where you get this idea from. Leave WW origin like it is, and just deepen and explore the meaning of it, this father thing is crap and I´m a man and I don´t see anything wrong with her original story.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Captain13

@jphulk26: Gender does not equal race. And A lot of Wonder Woman fans who say she should not have a father are shortchanging the positive and important role that fathers have in the creation of daughters. Hippolyta being a single mom alone shows that women don't need men to raise children, but let's not pretend that society doesn't need men--just like it needs women. The genders are equal.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jphulk26

@Captain13 said:

@jphulk26: Gender does not equal race. And A lot of Wonder Woman fans who say she should not have a father are shortchanging the positive and important role that fathers have in the creation of daughters. Hippolyta being a single mom alone shows that women don't need men to raise children, but let's not pretend that society doesn't need men--just like it needs women. The genders are equal.

Again how is WW´ story saying that men are not needed. her birth has absolutely nothing to do with that, by the way among the Gods who give her her powers I believe two were men, is that not sufficient for you. I really don´t get the objection, evryother super hero or heroine has a male mentor, WW was unique in that she didn´t she was trained by women and the product of a Goddess and a mortal, which has symbolic value, and is frankly a unique story. It has nothing to do with downplaying the importance of men.

Here´s the original Perrez story, please point out where it is sexist:

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Captain13

@jphulk26: Just switch the genders of all the characters.

Every man and woman has two parents. Giving Wonder Woman two makes her seem more human and relateable. It also explains the origin of her powers well i.e. why no other Amazon is on her level. And according to this poll, most peple want her to have a father, so...?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jphulk26

@Captain13 said:

Every man and woman has two parents. Giving Wonder Woman two makes her seem more human and relateable. It also explains the origin of her powers well i.e. why no other Amazon is on her level. And according to this poll, most peple want her to have a father, so...?

Good for them, why not make superman a genetically enhanced human? after all being human makes him more relatable, and being genetically enhanced will explain his powers more, than his cells soaking in rays from earths yellow star. Most people who have voted on this probably have only read Azzerrelo´s run, so I don´t see it as an objective assessment of which take on her origin makes for the better story. Finally, your point was that the original story was sexist; again I see no `proof from you of this notion.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sethysquare

@jphulk26 said:

@Captain13 said:

Good for them, why not make superman a genetically enhanced human? after all being human makes him more relatable, and being genetically enhanced will explain his powers more, than his cells soaking in rays from earths yellow star. Most people who have voted on this probably have only read Azzerrelo´s run, so I don´t see it as an objective assessment of which take on her origin makes for the better story. Finally, your point was that the original story was sexist; again I see no `proof from you of this notion.

he doesn't need to be any more relatable than he already is. he is every bit more human than anyone else. he was also an outsider who i believe alot of comic book readers can relate to

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By darkman61288

@sethysquare said:

@jphulk26 said:

@Captain13 said:

he doesn't need to be any more relatable than he already is. he is every bit more human than anyone else. he was also an outsider who i believe alot of comicbook readers can relate to.

But look at it this way. The general public might relate with her having a father.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Goddessa

No Father, immaculate conception by Hippolyta is better.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jphulk26

@darkman61288: @sethysquare: Thats really not true, Superman for a long time in the 90s had the issue of being seen as unrelatable, because he was too powerful. People thought he was a perfect goody goody. Thats why they had the whole death of Superman story. That image has changed amongst comic fans cause of the great work that has been done by the comic writers to expand his mythos, and, look at the implications of what it would be to be superman, therefore deepening his character. Stuff like Birthright, Kingdom Come, Supèrman Red Son. These are landmark comics that made superman more appealing and sympathetic to comic readers; however still general audiences see superman as uncool now, Batman is seen as cooler cause he´s human, and the failure of the last superman movie shows that. Now the film Man Of Steel is going to bring people up to date with how comics have developed, and the superman comic book readers know. This is why DC needs to take a similar approach to WW. There is so much of her mythology that is simply not explored, really interesting aspects that would make her more interesting. Adding some more psychological realism to the character is what is needed, not what Azz is doing, which is basically making her story far more convaluted than it actually was, therefore alienating a lot of her core readership. DC simply aren´t going to get enough new readers back to make up for the core readers they´ve lost.

@Goddessa said:

No Father, immaculate conception by Hippolyta is better.

agreed.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sethysquare

@jphulk26: you're moving the goal post. first its relatable then its whos cooler.

you have no arguments here

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jphulk26

@sethysquare said:

@jphulk26: you're moving the goal post. first its relatable then its whos cooler.

What? So being seen as cool doesn´t make a character relatable. Aren´t they kind of the same thing.

So lets try a new strategy, how about you tell me what your argument is, and I will cordially reply. Rather than having no arguments yourself, except for claiming the other side has no argument. Otherwise things can get rather circular.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sethysquare

@jphulk26 said:

@sethysquare said:

What? So being seen as cool doesn´t make a character relatable. Aren´t they kind of the same thing.

So lets try a new strategy, how about you tell me what your argument is, and I will cordially reply. Rather than having no arguments yourself, except for claiming the other side has no argument. Otherwise things can get rather circular.

we have done this before like a million times. i cant be bothered.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jphulk26

@sethysquare said:

@jphulk26 said:

@sethysquare said:

we have done this before like a million times. i cant be bothered.

OK good call. Life is too short. :) no hard feelings.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diana’s father should be Hercules

There are several stories in Wonder Woman’s 70 plus history that suggest that Hercules could be Diana’s father.

In Greek myth Hercules on his 9th labor was a grieving widower trying to make amends for the death of his wife and children. If the goddess Hera would not have intervened because she was angry that Hippolyta and Hercules were hitting it off Hercules & Hippolyta probably would have gotten married and had many children, but as it is Hercules went on to marry Deianira and later Hebe his half sister after he became a god to live in Olympus. So since Hercules is already married to me it would not be a good idea for Hercules and Hippolyta to hook up.

Heracles' ninth labor was to obtain the girdle of Hippolyta given to her by her father Ares the god of war as a crown or scepter to show her authority over all the Amazons.

The girdle, a kind of snake made of fabric, leather or metal, is a symbol for sexual power, channeled and kept within civilized bounds. In Greek marriage ceremonies, when the bridegroom loosed the bride's girdle it signified the end of her free maidenhood and the opening of her body to her husband and to pregnancy.

For the Amazons, that band of women warriors who lived without men, it was also a symbol of their self-sufficient shakti-power. The loss of their Queen's girdle would mean the end of their independent existence.

http://www.amazonation.com/Belt.html

So again to me the Hercules/Hippolyta romance is a Greek tragedy.

Two people who fall in love and get married but realizing they can never stay together because of the situation and obligations so they split up and go their separate ways...

Having Zeus as her father seems so wrong on many levels

Ares in Greek myth states plainly that he is the father of Hippolyta and that would make Hera and Zeus Hippolyta’s grandparents.

This story would imply that Hippolyta not only had an affair with a married man but had an affair with her grandfather. It seems so wrong that Hera would be Hippolyta’s rival for the love and affections of Zeus.

And Hippolyta glorifying her illicit affair is sick.

I am totally against Diana being the bastard child of Zeus and the product of an incestuous and adulterous love affair.

Come on what are they going to call Diana? Wonder Woman bastard daughter of the god Zeus and Queen Hippolyta of the Amazons whore of Themysicra.

I’m sorry but I cannot see or understand why the people at DC/Time Warner could sink so low to make a buck. Just the appearance alone should make DC/Time Warner nix or discontinue this perverse and sick story line about Hippolyta and Zeus hooking up.

Zeus seducing his granddaughter and Diana being a product of such a union is perverse and sick.

And I do not care if Brian does write it into the story so that Hippolyta is not the daughter or Ares it still looks sick and perverse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.