WW's origins ? Still not convinced ...

#1 Posted by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

What the dickens was wrong with the baby made from clay ? Is this an editorial decision influenced by heavy marketing research ? "We have come to the conclusion that 67.7% of young adult males think WW sucks, but 81.3% think Cratos rules and pwns everyone else. If we change her origins we may see a variametric shift in the parabolic sequence of preferral paradigmic shiftationism wunga wunga bunga bunga oook oook *primate screams*"

To me it all really sounds like "We changed it because we can." I don't see the need or any real logic behind it other than trying to chance something that wasn't broken in the first place. I think that there were other things that could have been made better.

Oh and why the change to silver trim ? she really looks bland without the gold ...

#2 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not that people thought she sucked before,there are people that underestimate her,before and even now with her new origin,it happens to every character.

about kratos,if you make a wonder woman video game using all her mythology and magical stuff,you can make a video game even more interested than kratos,and that people would think that she pwns everyone else,but there are fanboys,in comics,in videogames,in everywhere,so,let's leave it there,LOL!.

i don't think she needed this change,but maybe is a good thing to give her more time in the spotligh,and make her more consistent.

she was victim of inconsistencies in the past(like every character),and didn't have the oportunity to shine as much as superman and batman even though she is supposed to be one of the big 3,so this change can be a brand new start for her,a new oportunity to get more atention,a new oportunity for DC to promote her more,and make her gain more new readers,make her more the iconic and important character that she has always been,maybe the change will do her good,because people that never read her before will be able to keep up with her now,that way the change will do her good if DC focuses on expanding her horizon as a main character,and also promote her more outside comics.

#3 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

frankly...wonder woman stories have not been this interesting in a long time so i m glad about the changes

#4 Posted by UsagiTsukino (245 posts) - - Show Bio

Also don't worry earth one as the regular origins

#5 Edited by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

edit:nvm!

#6 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

I am sure after the 0 issues (which I am going to read soon) that some answers will come out.  

#7 Posted by Inverno (13314 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't mind that she was made out of clay... but I find her new origin cliched as all hell. By making her Zeus's daughter, she is no different than any other demigods that he fathered in Greek Mythology. Hell, the DCAU implied that Hades might have been her father, and that was more interesting concept (too bad they decide to ignore it).

#8 Posted by lorex (957 posts) - - Show Bio

I also did not mind that previously that Diana was clay made flesh. The new origin is OK but not as good as te original IMO. This is just an example of one of the many problems with the new 52 where creative teams and/or editors are cherry picking some history they want to keep and making up other parts. I get the feeling that despite how good I think Wonder Woman has been since the reboot/relaunch if DC felt completely changing the characters history again would lead to more sales then DC would do it in a second.

#9 Posted by Hawk80 (351 posts) - - Show Bio

The made-of-clay thing came from Pandora (the mythic one, made from clay by Zeus blah blah blah...). Pretty unique. But now she's half-Zeus: like Hercules, Kratos and every other mythological-themed hero. Same thing whith Thor (different pantheon, same idea)...

I can welcome change only as improvement. Here I see no improvement.

PS: I also hate the new52 amazons...

#10 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawk80: @lorex: @CaioTrubat: why i never wrote in this ill never know. a similar discussion is going on on the first page. azzerrello challenge if anyone is interested. i dont like the new direction at all.

#11 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on the interviews I heard, the writer wanted to tell stories about Wonder Woman's interaction with all of the greek gods so making Wonder Woman the daughter of Zeus seemed like a great idea. I don't believe Wonder Woman coming from clay poop was a great idea. In the next reboot, maybe just erase all of the Amazons and just make Wonder Woman the daughter of some usual earthling like Zola.

#12 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the best origins for wonder woman is being a tribal warrior from an isolated island somewhere out in the pacific ocean, where its far from mankind.

#13 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

i think the best origins for wonder woman is being a tribal warrior from an isolated island somewhere out in the pacific ocean, where its far from mankind.

^ Like her movie

#14 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent said:

frankly...wonder woman stories have not been this interesting in a long time so i m glad about the changes

I like the new origin better too

#15 Posted by Lvenger (20677 posts) - - Show Bio

@kapitein_zeppos: Why is there so much New 52 Wonder Woman hate recently? I like the new change. The old one was fine but this one is not change for the sake of change. It's brought about a lot of good things and opened up new corners in the Wonder Woman universe. And she's selling better than before the New 52 so good things are coming from this change.

#16 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@kapitein_zeppos: Why is there so much New 52 Wonder Woman hate recently? I like the new change. The old one was fine but this one is not change for the sake of change. It's brought about a lot of good things and opened up new corners in the Wonder Woman universe. And she's selling better than before the New 52 so good things are coming from this change.

^

#17 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as people will have opinions, there will be hate and support . . . se la vi.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.