Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

WW origin story of MoS 2?

Martian81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok so a hot debate on screenrant has been going off since some rumour was started that maybe the story of MoS 2 Batman vs Superman will have Wonder woman origins linked to Krypton somehow.

Here are the links

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-movie-origin-story-discussion-krypton-kryptonian/comment-page-3/#comments

http://screenrant.com/batman-vs-superman-wonder-woman-not-kryptonian/

I am against trying to fully alter WW backstory to shoehorn it to Superman’s origins but since we are talking of super powered beings why can’t we just have her race the Amazons be an alien race to earth just as kryptonians are? One respondent on the thread named EricAD put his idea thus…

‘I can understand why WB wants to keep their universe cohesive. Of all the classic JLA members, Wonder Woman is the only one with a magical origin/backstory. I hope it is something more like this: What if the Olympians were explained similarly to the way the Asgardians are in the Marvel Cinematic Universe; aliens so advanced their technology might as well be magic to humans. But NOT Kryptonians-that is Superman’s thing and should remain so. I would say these advanced aliens came to Earth thousands of years ago, maybe just twelve of them, and were worshiped as the twelve Olympian Gods by primitive humans. They then chose a select group of humans as their representatives on Earth, and used their science to give them greater strength, knowledge, and even immortality. But since mankind was so savage at the time, the Olympians only chose the women of the species as their representatives. They became the Amazons. I think this keeps the basics of Wonder Woman’s back story, without tying it into Superman’s explicitly, but more in keeping with the more sci-fi world established in Man of Steel. I’d MUCH rather that than anything to do with Krypton. Krypton = Superman.’

Now I personally would go further, why cant we say that the Amazons were a race of aliens who were at war with Kryptonians and Kryptonians actually feared the Amazonian weaponry which they found superior (magic a superior form of tech) , they somehow found a way to destroy all the males of that race leaving Amazons a race of only females. They took some of them as prisoners and one of their ancient outposts had some Amazons arrive to earth , however on earth Amazons defeated the Kryptonians and set up an enclave of their own, and on earth their physiology was enhanced rendering them immortal in our environment kind of like Elves in Lord of the Rings. So in that way their histories are linked but they are not the same people. Also this way we can have Superman and WW start off as historical enemies that need to overcome the animosity between their people.

What do fans think of these ideas?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WB was never gonna do that, Billy Ramey of Batman on film submitted his personal opinion as to what Wonder Woman's origin should be in the film, then it spread like an illness, somewhere along the way it became a rumour.

Anyway the more I think about it the more I would like the Amazons to be a tribe of mortal women who shunned men and went to war on their terms, lead by Hippolyta, daughter of Ares. At a given age, every amazon would journey to the men's world to spy and return with a daughter, they'd choose and bed the strongest, healthiest men for reproductive purposes, they'd give away the boys to the Church, keep the girls, some would keep the boys and never go back to Themyscira. As a result, the amazons would've evolved into a race of tall powerful women through eugenics, women every bit as strong or stronger than men. Wonder Woman would still be the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus, the offspring of an adulterous relationship, conceived in sin and the ultimate, most powerful Amazon.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I´m so fed up of Amazons as aliens nonsense. Why can´t the Amazons be exactly what they were. Its just a bunch of b.s. talking about realism in a universe where a man flies and shoots lazers out his eyes, mean while opening wormholes on Earth that only suck in certain objects. I call complete and utter b.s. Anyone who thinks Man Of Steel was even remotely realistic, both in the characters, their reactions or the basic laws of physics ought to seek psychiatric treatment. I´m not joking either. Seriously, check yourself in, you need to be sectioned, because your living in la la land.

By the way, while we´re on the subject, Batman Begins, and the subsequent trilogy were all highly unrealistic as well. Joker, drops a woman from top of a sky scraper, Batman leaps down after her and some how because he lands on the car they´re both not killed?!!! All Batman´s weapons were not in the slightest realistic either, the grappling gun? How the hell does he use that to board a moving train, with out breaking every single bone in his body.

Nolan and co and all his army of nonsensical fanboys don´t even realize what was so good about Batman Begins or Dark Knight, which is why they probably ended up trashing their own movies and Man Of Steel was a load of hot garbage. What was good was not that the universe was realistic in Batman Begins, but that the characters had psychological depth, and the social world they created seemed like a recognizable one. They made Gotham and Batman seem like us, like they could exist. That was the realism. Everything else, from the fear gas, to Batman´s absurd ability to overcome harm that would kill any human being no matter how hard they´d trained their body, to nuclear bombs exploding just past the city limits and not destroying it, is utter fantasy and you ought be embarrassed claiming WW is to unrealistic to exist in such a fantastical universe. Just do Batman Begins for WW. Its that simple. Have the characters respond to an Island appearing in the middle of the Aegian sea housing a lost tribe of Amazons in a realistic way. Think about if that happened. Its the same thing we do with monster movies like Cloverfield or Godzilla. As long as characters respond in a realistic way to whats happening around them, then we the audience will accept the reality they´ve been placed in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.