Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

WW: Birth Question

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sinisteri

Remind me if this was covered.

Zeus fathered Diana with Hippolyta. Hippolyta lied that she made a baby out of clay that was magically brought to life. And the Anazons bought this lie lock, stock and barrel.

Was it noted that Hippolyta's pregnancy to labor was in the blink of an eye? How did she hide this from her sisters?

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Amazons really, really small baby bumps? XD

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sinisteri

lol

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dmessmer

Remind me if this was covered.

Zeus fathered Diana with Hippolyta. Hippolyta lied that she made a baby out of clay that was magically brought to life. And the Anazons bought this lie lock, stock and barrel.

Was it noted that Hippolyta's pregnancy to labor was in the blink of an eye? How did she hide this from her sisters?

Wait, are you suggesting that something in the New 52 isn't well thought out and doesn't make sense? That can't be. I won't hear of it.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sinisteri

Is this the way modern readers like it?

Continuity, logic, intelligence hard.

Vagueness, illogic, reader rationalization good.

People used to accuse comic book readers of liking books with pictures and few words because the readers couldn't follow anything complicated. Comics in general have matured in the last several decades, but DC has successfully managed to provide proof that comic books need to be dumbed down so readers find them easy to read. Not saying we readers are dumb, but the company wants to cut up our food for us into bite size pieces.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my assumption is only the younger Amazons don't know the truth and some the older amazons do know but dont say anything because there loyal to the queen but at the moment the story isn't about wonder woman secret origin it about wonder woman dealing with protecting zola and the baby(it proly zeus) from anyone wanting to get him

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Look, n52 sucks. Dont expect logic:)

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lilben42
    No Caption Provided

I thought that the older amazons knew but the younger and newer ones didn't know.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@lilben42: how can there be old and young amazons?

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Because every now and then, the amazons go out and raid a ship having sex with men to get pregnant.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jphulk26

Is this the way modern readers like it?

Continuity, logic, intelligence hard.

Vagueness, illogic, reader rationalization good.

People used to accuse comic book readers of liking books with pictures and few words because the readers couldn't follow anything complicated. Comics in general have matured in the last several decades, but DC has successfully managed to provide proof that comic books need to be dumbed down so readers find them easy to read. Not saying we readers are dumb, but the company wants to cut up our food for us into bite size pieces.

brilliant.

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think some of the Amazons were aware of this and it's quite possible that the Queen was away while she was pregnant or something. I mean she obviously wasn't with the Amazons and Zeus at the same time.

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logic? We're talking about an island of immortal women, suspended in Ancient Greek times. The whole idea defies logic.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42:hey i was looking for that i knew i remember something about it it was the reason it nvr bother me i think it was issue 3 or 4 when that happen

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whinehaus:

That would make sense if Batman died on one page, came back the next and moved on with story with no one questioning his death.

We all read comics here. We all stretch belief to a degree, but we all still want the story to make sense.

Fiction alone does not mean every intelligent reader checks their brain at the door.

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WhineHaus

@sinisteri: That's my point though. It's not necessarily illogical just because something's unexplained, like Hippolyta's pregnancy. We just might not know the details yet. Like all good stories, there is much to be discovered, and we never have all the details at the start. As good readers, it's our job to speculate and ask questions, much like you're doing.

And I most certainly am not assuming that anyone checked their brain at the door.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whinehaus: But there can be a fine line between challenging readers to ask questions and bad writing. I was okay with having questions when the revelations first came out, but since then he's more or less abandoned that plot line. Leaving a major mystery as a source of tension to propel the story is fine, but creating one then veering off in another direction without making anything of the original can of worms is a problem.

For me, the biggest question remains: if the Amazons like to go on man-raping sprees (still the change I most detest), why doesn't she just say that she's pregnant from that instead of making up the whole clay thing, which requires such a leap of faith by those who believe it? The only answer I can think of is that she doesn't want to tell Diana about the man-raping sprees. But she's the queen of the society that does it, so she must endorse it. Yet to hide it from her daughter suggests she knows it's wrong.

In other words, her motivations are completely muddled and it shouldn't be the reader's job to explain these kinds of contradictions away.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer: i still don't think the amazon rape them they killed them this is true but rape ehh let be honest as a straight male if i saw hot naked woman saying she want to do me my pant would drop in a sec

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer: i still don't think the amazon rape them they killed them this is true but rape ehh let be honest as a straight male if i saw hot naked woman saying she want to do me my pant would drop in a sec

Okay, but replace "man-rape" with "murder" and I think my point still stands.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer: i'm still waiting for this answer but at the moment story about wonder woman saving the baby until dc decide to give us a zero year or something arc which i think they should do with her being dead in forever evil

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer: I think it's important to recognize Hippolyta's character, too. She's proven deceptive -- a foil if you will -- especially toward Diana and her heritage. Since most of our knowledge comes from Diana's perspective, it makes sense that we are without information. Hippolyta would be the one with most of the answers, but we won't be hearing from her any time soon. Within the framework of her character, and given her history of dishonesty, it makes sense that Hippolyta would hide her pregnancy, as well as the 'crimes' of the Amazons.

I agree that many things are left unexplained. I find myself curious about a lot, namely Zeus' fate. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's bad writing. Even if the mystery of Hippolyta's pregnancy is uncovered, it pertains little to the actual storyline.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.