Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

WW as loveinterest in JLA movie?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

Why do so many people seem to think WW´s rightful place in the JLA movie is as a love interest to Batman or Superman?

Its an action adventure movie about superheroes, its not a romcom, I´m not going to the cinema to see a beautiful love blossom onscreen. I just don´t get it, cause she´s a woman she has to be a love interest? what is this the 1930s? Can´t she be just a member of the team. Hell why don´t people say Batman and Superman should get together, they´ve got lots in common, they seem to have a bromance bordering on the homoerotic. Let them make out with each other, while WW kicks some ass. Just wanted to see how people would defend this position if they have it other than cause she´s female.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By darkman61288

Because The general public loves romance. The Avengers had little love stories in it, like Hawkeye and Black Widow and Pepper and Tony, which made it better for the gp.Another reason is drama at a love story would add Exspecially if they do a Tower of Babel story and have a BM/WW love story.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OutlawRenegade

She shouldn't date any leaguer. They are co-workers, and she needs to have a love interest for her own film from her own universe. Diana and Steve forever!

PS. If she did date someone, then the film JLA wouldn't be a team. It would be a couple and their three friends. And Wonder Woman shouldn't be defined by who she dates, so she shouldn't date another high profile hero. She will just be thought of as his girlfriend. That's why Steve works. People think of him as Diana's boyfriend instead of thinking of her as Steve's girlfriend.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@darkman61288 said:

Because The general public loves romance. The Avengers had little love stories in it, like Hawkeye and Black Widow and Pepper and Tony, which made it better for the gp.Another reason is drama at a love story would add Exspecially if they do a Tower of Babel story and have a BM/WW love story.

If they dated, Diana would embarrass Bruce by killing all of his rogues and making Gotham a safe place to live--finally. They don't fit in each others' worlds.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By darkman61288

So you think that the Joker, Ra' s or Hugo Strange can't be a serious threat to Diana? Yes they are.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By mk111

Yeah, I'd rather that she didn't date Batman or Superman in a theoretical JL film.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar

@mk111 said:

Yeah, I'd rather that she didn't date Batman or Superman in a theoretical JL film.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@darkman61288 said:

So you think that the Joker, Ra' s or Hugo Strange can't be a serious threat to Diana? Yes they are.

Nah uh.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jphulk26

@darkman61288:

Thats why there should be solo movies first, where we can get to know the characters in that way.

@OutlawRenegade said:

She shouldn't date any leaguer. They are co-workers, and she needs to have a love interest for her own film from her own universe. Diana and Steve forever!

PS. If she did date someone, then the film JLA wouldn't be a team. It would be a couple and their three friends. And Wonder Woman shouldn't be defined by who she dates, so she shouldn't date another high profile hero. She will just be thought of as his girlfriend. That's why Steve works. People think of him as Diana's boyfriend instead of thinking of her as Steve's girlfriend.

Exactly.

@darkman61288 said:

Depends what you mean. They´d need to have someone with powers backing them. Thats there style though. They´re a threat to any superhero, especially the Joker. Not so much Hugo Strange.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @jphulk26: With any story, it always helps if there is character development.  One of the easiest ways to accomplish this is to get the characters into a romance.  You are right though it is usually pretty forced.  
    darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By darkman61288

@jphulk26 said:

@darkman61288:

Thats why there should be solo movies first, where we can get to know the characters in that way.

@OutlawRenegade said:

Exactly.

@darkman61288 said:

Depends what you mean. They´d need to have someone with powers backing them. Thats there style though. They´re a threat to any superhero, especially the Joker. Not so much Hugo Strange.

I mean psycholoical way. Both Superman and Wonder Woman are very vulnerable to psycholoical attack due to them being so compasstionate.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jphulk26

@RazzaTazz: But its ww. Thats different. She has her own world, her own romance. I don´t want her to act as the most obvious thing in the team, a love interest. I don´t want her screen time wasted, flirting with anybody. It could work later on if there are sequels, but thats not how she should be introduced to a new generation; especially of girls. I think she needs to be a strong, independent woman, who is really important to the team, and her screen time should be spent doing that.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#13  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @jphulk26: I agree, my point is that it is sloppy writing
    Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Batman should be her love interest because he had a ugly and flat chested girl in TDKR and the Nolan films in general so he deserves a chance to redeem himself in the new JLA movie

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#15  Edited By TheCannon

@OutlawRenegade said:

This.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vernierhawk001

@jphulk26 said:

Why do so many people seem to think WW´s rightful place in the JLA movie is as a love interest to Batman or Superman?

Its an action adventure movie about superheroes, its not a romcom, I´m not going to the cinema to see a beautiful love blossom onscreen. I just don´t get it, cause she´s a woman she has to be a love interest? what is this the 1930s? Can´t she be just a member of the team. Hell why don´t people say Batman and Superman should get together, they´ve got lots in common, they seem to have a bromance bordering on the homoerotic. Let them make out with each other, while WW kicks some ass. Just wanted to see how people would defend this position if they have it other than cause she´s female.

Lol...honestly, I came to this thread with the sole intention of saying how having WW solely as a love interest is not truly understanding the character and short-changing her importance in the DCU. GLad to see you actually agree...lol (I had my debate gloves all ready to go :). I am, by no means, a Wonder Woman expert and I'm not even necessairly opposed to there being a romantic angle in the movie at some point...but to show the new generation of movie goers (those not familiar with the comics) that she is more than just "the girl" on the JLA, she has to be shown as a strong individual.

Additionally, the film's writer needs to consider what she really brings to the team that sets her apart from batman and superman and allows her to stand among DC's Big Three. Superman is the strong one and the idealist. Batman is the brains. What is WW? Certainly strong. Certainly a great fighter/warrior. But maybe the film could play on her leadership skills (presumably, she has a hand in leading Themiscyra's army, right? *this is where I get destroyed by those with actual WW knowledge beyond wikipedia*), the strong personality that a ruler (particularly one from antiquity) would have, tactical military strategy skills that cause her to have a heated debate about how to address whatever force they are fighting? Whatever it is, the filmmaker has the responsiblity of making her more than the "woman in the swimsuit". The DCAU movies do a good job portraying her as a butt-kicker. And YJ:Invasion also has some really great scenes...one in particular that has her calling out Batman on keeping Dick as a sidekick. Though it took me aback at first, its great to show that she isn't mindless in her role

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.