Writer Announced for a 'Wonder Woman' Movie

• 177 results
Posted by G-Man (36717 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's a character many comic fans want to see on the big screen? If you said Wonder Woman, you'll want to read this carefully. We all know comic book movies are getting a lot of attention these days. The other day Variety reported some news about a possible Justice League movie written by Gangster Squad writer Will Beall. If you're not familiar with Beall, he's also writing the script for the Lethal Weapon reboot.

A Justice League movie seems like a no-brainer. There is concern over whether or not WB will jump straight into it or try to build up separate characters first. Christian Bale is pretty much finished being Batman even though he said he'd be up for a fourth try if it was done correctly. I don't see him in a Justice League movie.

What's more surprising is the news about a possible Wonder Woman movie.

Cinema Blend has reported that Michael Goldenberg has been hired to write the script. Goldenberg is no stranger to comic book movies as he also was the co-writer for Green Lantern...

Hopefully WB will keep a close eye on this and do whatever they can to build up a Wonder Woman franchise, especially if they want to tie it to a Justice League movie. Variety also mentioned that Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green are still working on a screenplay for The Flash with Greg Berlanti possibly directing. We'll have to see what official word is released before we start getting excited or worried.

#1 Posted by The Stegman (25026 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard there was a writer signed for a Justice League movie too...hopefully these rumors are true, it's time for DC to get it's cinematic universe really going...hopefully next year's "Man of Steel" will be the first of many tie ins to Justice League.

#2 Posted by deadpool25mm (602 posts) - - Show Bio

If they get the right actor and a good storyline it can be good.

#3 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

*Facepalm*

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (58151 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the pilot of the WW show was good and Green Lantern was successful.
BB

#5 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9176 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't even know they were planning a Wonder Woman movie

#6 Posted by monkeyonurback_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

for god's sake DC get it together! getting a writer from a terrible movie to write a movie about an EVEN RISKIER character? what is wrong with you?? are we seriously going back to the days of Batman & Robin? actually..you know what...just fuck it. throw the towel in, lads.  from now on just let joel schumacher direct EVERY superhero movie and let goldenberg pen the scripts. that way there's NO WAY IN HELL you will ever do well. unless you get the cast of high school musical to do act out justice league..which you are just about desperate enough to do. #DCfail

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy

#8 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't they...didn't they learn after Green Lantern bombed that the next time they do a comic book movie you do everything differently than that movie?

#9 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

...Though this isn't official or anything... I'm still worried:/

Why can't they get someone who is familiar with comic book writing not comic book MOVIES..

#10 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

The biggest holdup to a Wonder Women movie was this ridiculous idea that "female action leads don't sell." Which was BS to start with if you consider films like Alien, Aliens, and Terminator 2, but such was the mentality. The recent and extremely successful Hunger Games film, if nothing else, put a crack in that notion. Hopefully we can get a good Wonder Woman film outta this.

I also don't understand why we don't have a Wonder Woman video game. I would think "female God of War" would sell.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

*Facepalm*

LOL
#12 Posted by feargalr (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

I never thought Thor would work, but it did. The premise is very similar here in terms of mystical junk, and fish outta water stuff. This can totally work if its done well.

#13 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

I never thought Thor would work, but it did. The premise is very similar here in terms of mystical junk, and fish outta water stuff. This can totally work if its done well.

#14 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (528 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be interested to see a Wonder Woman movie, but...DC's movies are in such a messy state right now, it'd be a pain trying to create some cinematic universe out of that and tie them all into a Justice League movie. Especially since I don't see Nolan's Batman, or even Christian Bale for that matter, working in a Justice League movie. How long have Flash and Aquaman been in the works?

#15 Posted by EyePawd (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't there a writer and director attached to this at one point? Jess Wheldon? Josh Whetton?

Wil Wheaton? Was that it?

Hrm. Can't remember. Oh well.

#16 Posted by AirDave817 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

Warner Brothers must be watching Marvel/Disney's success very closely! IMHO, the smart thing to do would be to use The Man of Steel to launch a Justice League film. Superman, a Green Lantern reboot, Wonder Woman and The Flash, then a Batman reboot. Justice League film, featuring Aquaman and J'onn J'onzz. Keep it consistent with Smallville and the classic comics. Save Cyborg for a Titans film.

#17 Posted by DDangelico (221 posts) - - Show Bio

There were rumors awhile ago that Nicholas Winding Refn (Drive, Bronson) wanted to make a Wonder Woman movie with Christina Hendricks. I guess it would just be too awesome for our reality to handle.

#18 Posted by sprizmo (1 posts) - - Show Bio

If they do something along the lines of what Brian Azzarello is doing in the new series then it could be a damned good movie.

#19 Edited by pikahyper (12399 posts) - - Show Bio

They're rebooting Lethal Weapon ??? is nothing sacred !!!! V_V

#20 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure DC can do movies that aren't Batman.

#21 Posted by The Stegman (25026 posts) - - Show Bio
@feargalr:  

I never thought Thor would work, but it did. The premise is very similar here in terms of mystical junk, and fish outta water stuff. This can totally work if its done well

To me they are ridiculously similar, only replace Loki with Ares and Norse mythology with Greek one, seriously if Thor could be a success, why not WW??
#22 Posted by xkoenig (394 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has one solid franchise going right now: Batman. And neither Bale nor Nolan will be anywhere near Justice League, so I'm concerned that movie will be seriously inferior to Avengers. Marvel spent a lot of time and effort crafting and building up to that movie and it was worth it. DC had a troubling lack of success in Green Lantern. If Superman is any good and if they somehow manage to launch Wonder Woman we shall see if they can turn it around.

#23 Posted by Inverno (13315 posts) - - Show Bio

Just please keep David E. Kelley away from the script. If you seen the Wonder Woman's failed pilot you know what I am talking about.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cafeterialoca said:

Constantine and Watchmen where perfectly good films 
#25 Posted by The Stegman (25026 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87:  

@Cafeterialoca  said: 

Constantine and Watchmen where perfectly good films 
So were Red, V for Vendetta, the first two Reeves Superman films and The Losers.
#26 Posted by Grim (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

Hows abouts they man up, apologize to Joss Whedon, and offer him all the money in the world to write them an epic strong female lead movie... just an idea.

#27 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: But those movies mentioned aside from Watchmen dont involve superheroes, just realy cool people doing some neat stuff, they also were not super true to the original works but close enough from what I hear.

#28 Posted by The Stegman (25026 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ganthetsward20:  

@The Stegman : But those movies mentioned aside from Watchmen dont involve superheroes, just realy cool people doing some neat stuff, they also were not super true to the original works but close enough from what I hear.

They were still Dc...or at least DC Imprint characters and were done right, it's not the characters that are the problems, it's assigning the right writers to them.
#29 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys have to apologize to Josh...

#30 Posted by fitchy101 (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@EyePawd said:

Wasn't there a writer and director attached to this at one point? Jess Wheldon? Josh Whetton?

Wil Wheaton? Was that it?

Hrm. Can't remember. Oh well.

You are my new hero.

#31 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

i really hope this will happen :D

#32 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy who did Green Lantern is possibly doing Wonder Woman? Not good.

#33 Posted by LB70145 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's why Marvel movies have been doing well the past few years, Marvel has the reigns over the project for the most part. Marvel uses movie studios as the tool to show their product. While WB is the one using DC as the tool. Every DC property is being handled by the movie studio (WB) purely, and by their handling of Green Lantern (among others) they obviously don't know the comics well at all. WB just uses their IP without knowing why it is that people like it. If DC had more control over the project they would do better (maybe).

#34 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14948 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by SHAZAM117 (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!....I want anyone who had anything to do with Green Lantern to be BANNED from working on the Wonder Woman movie.....I personally think a successful Wonder Woman movie is more crucial than Man of Steel....WB/DC have to prove they can get their other Iconic characters (besides Bats N' Supes) done right before any Justice League movie can be realized

#36 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3561 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet. This is good news to me. I know cynics will explode over this, but all this DC news is exciting.

#37 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

one of the guys from GL................... because that was so good....................

#38 Posted by thveej (203 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think Wonder Woman movie would work well. Thor was made well and I think WW is easier to make than that (no asgard, no rainbow Bridge, amazons/greek gods are easier to understand than Norse Gods). Just get a good writer please..... that is all I ask.

#39 Posted by notarandomguy (316 posts) - - Show Bio

If another Superman movie can make it after Superman returns and Thor can make it too when no one tough it would work I say, bring the Amazon please

#40 Posted by bloggerboy (609 posts) - - Show Bio

2009's Animated Wonder Woman movie was awesome! Hopefully we'll get something similar to that.

#41 Posted by starrk_coyote (625 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is good enough to be wonder woman? i mean there is not woman with in HOLLOW wood that is good or if ok enough to be wonder woman.

she is more then JUST a character, not like sup or bats, she is a ICON to the full Measure of the meaning of that word, she is not just some one that you put any one in it, you know !

so NOPE i think that until some one will Prove to be worthy of that role, she should still by any means to be as an Animation and let other women to TRY to prove that the can be her voice.

#42 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

seriously? co-writer for Green lantern?

Let's hope that this is better writing than that film because GL is the only super-hero movie that I've ever fallen asleep while watching...

If he writes WW well it should be an excellent movie.

Hopefully the rumors about tha Flash movie are true too because a Flash movie would be really cool.

#43 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: terminator didnt have a female lead.

#44 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

We'll see.....

Honestly, if it's anything like what the animated movie was, I'm all for it. Just don't waste my time with the bullsh*t they tried to pull in the cancelled pilot.

#45 Posted by darkrider (456 posts) - - Show Bio

are you kidding me of course it's a good news

#46 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@thveej: @notarandomguy: they both feature gods but the stories are totally different. so yeah stop comparing them.

#47 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

Will the WW fanbase continue to be petulant whiny homers? If so, then this is already dead.

#48 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@fodigg: terminator didnt have a female lead.

Did I not write Terminator 2?

@fodigg said:

... Terminator 2, ...

No I did.

#49 Posted by DJ1107 (244 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this happens and I hope it's good. I personally LIKED Green Lantern but I can see where everyone is coming from. Now with a Wonder Woman movie That can go either way it can either be the female counterpart of Thor or It can be another Character assassination Like The Wonder Woman pilot in 2011. I keep hearing people want Gina Carano to be Wonder Woman after seeing Haywire. Don't know if I should've said that out loud.

#50 Posted by SuperDoahBoy (135 posts) - - Show Bio

First off I'm excited about this cause I'm one of the few that has been clamoring for a WW movie, so I hope good things come of this cause you know if this works then a Justice League won't be too far off. Secondly there won't be any hope for this movie with some many people having bad attitudes towards it, and I could care less about the bad press a show that got canned before we the consumers could even see it got. Thirdly I'm down for her or something about her showing up at the end of Man of Steel, that's just one step closer to a Justice League movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.