Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Would you prefer Themyscira to be more modern?

• 94 results
    Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@outside_85: How strong the Amazons are varies from writer to writer and none of the incarnations depict them as being on Diana's level. And no amount of skill with a spear will save you from a tank or fighter jet.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:
    @csg_cl said:

"Hairless Apes" in and of itself is a faulty device since it relies on the assumption that apes exist on other planets and who knows if space apes all have hair ;)

There are reasons for them to change, you just don't like them, there is a difference. Even Diana calls the Amazons society stagnant in N52 ... I'm not saying they need lasers and lightsabers or even techno-gadgetry I'm saying they need to be more than just a "peek at the past" to me that's just unexceptional in a different way and I'd like them to have some uniqueness. As someone said above, they should be wondrous, this version isn't to me, but with a little variety they could be.

How have they surpassed Athens or Sparta if they have had no progress in 3000 years? The current version even seems to have regressed from Hellenistic Greece, with the current Amazons we've not actually seen any other kinds of jobs except military, Hessia was the "greatest healer" and she is more warrior than medic and we've not seen her do anything to heal aside from use the Purple Ray, which is now simply a relic she found rather than an innovation of an Amazon. The society we've seen is fairly one dimensional thus far. Perez and what generally follow had more depth, showing healers, philosophers, warriors, artists and mystics and even that was watered down from Marston's vision IMO.

LOL ... totally safer to be stoned :) but it doesn't change the argument that there are more angles to a Hellenistic society for DC to explore! I actually had high hopes for where Azzarello left things, but the Finch run has not followed through.

I'd argue that it would be nice if DC would respect what they were meant to be rather than regressing them back to the Bronze Age and making them rather petty and simplistic. The drastic change you are talking about happened with the N52. IMO what's happened to the Amazons in N52 is the worst thing about the WW universe.

Or just that the visitors have conducted somekind of survey of Earth before they make contact with humans.

No, the reasons I've so far been presented have all been items that fit squarely into the: "Because I personally want them to be/have this." And I haven't ever said they couldn't be wonderous, I am just firmly against them being so through technology... because damn well nearly all secret/lost societies in DC/Marvel fiction are more advanced than the outside world, so to me you are making them more generic by adding the tech angle. What you could do instead was simulate techonological achievements through other means, like magic, deeper understanding of the world around them, connection with the planet, gifts from above that kind of thing. Alternatively, you could make them as smart and capable as you want, but let them carry a deeply conservative view of their world; as in, they could change things... but they like them the way they are.

Because they could move beyond both without having to re-invent the wheel. In most versions, the Amazons are superhumanly strong and durable. That alone would put them above Sparta and it's shield walls, on top of this you have to factor in that they have been alive and fighting with the same weapons and tactics for 3000 years, which should put them well above just about any other wielder of shield, sword, bow and spear. Not to mention from the get go, their weapons and armor will have been crafted to suit them, so who's to say a normal person can even lift an Amazon's shield or be able to draw with their bows? Regarding Athens, regarded as a seat of knowledge and philosophy... well the Amazons could have made the same mathematical, astrological/biological observations, and as a deeply religious people they will have had as much reason to debate the nature of the world and the words of the gods as much as anyone, they just had more time to perfect it.

And that is the point I am trying to make. You don't need to make the Amazons advanced to make them wonderous or marvelous, all you need to do is take their Broze Age world and push it to the max. Why would you need better weapons if your average sister with and axe can pretty much take a tank apart? Why better armor when what you have is nearly bulletproof? Why bother with the longwinded medical studies of Man's World when you can cure just about anything using certain roots and leaves from your back garden or the surrounding jungle? And so on. If Superman and Metropolis is the posterboy for the good future, Wonder Woman and Themyscira is the same for 'it was better in the old days'.

While that might be true, Themyscira has always been a melting-pot of modern perceptions of the Greek city-states. You had your Athens-like buildings, your Sparta-like military along with Delphi-like oracles.

Thing is that what you are thinking of was the state they existed in for nearly 80 years... and DC apparently didn't have anywhere to go with it. Which isn't to say it doesn't still exist, you just haven't gotten a writer willing to deal with it yet.

@scorpio_cassadine said:

lol A fight I can't win? lol I already won the fight when you had to resort to name calling. Yeah, I saw your unedited post where you called me a "dumbass". That's a sign you've got no legitimate response, the rest is just extra typing in an attempt to hide that fact. lol

Then you lost this since you were the one who started since you stooped to calling me closed minded. Not that it was deciding factor since your debating skills is somewhere between little and non-existent, so you tend to resort to school yard tactics like these to get out thinking you retain any dignity.

Huh? What? I'm going to need you to get it together, that republican diatribe of yours didn't make a lot of sense. Calling you closed minded wasn't an insult, it was a statement of fact. You proved as much with your "Wonder Woman and Themyscira is the same for 'it was better in the old days'"

What book have you been reading? Why would any society that sheltered themselves from the outside world for millennia think things were "better in the old days"? If that was the case, they never would have separated themselves in the first place. They were created by the gods to be a race that showed the world the capabilities of women, and they went into hiding due to being feared, hated and persecuted because of it. They wouldn't want the old fashioned ways of the past, where they were tricked, raped and warred against, that's why they hate men so much.

Such a culture would make strides to ensure that status quo wouldn't happen again, so they would seek to be the best they could at war. Therefore during those despicable raids they're known for, they'd pick up on the changes the outside world have made and attempt to implement them, so they'd remain the world's premier warriors.

I have to go to work, I'll annihilate your response when I get back.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@agent_z said:

@outside_85: How strong the Amazons are varies from writer to writer and none of the incarnations depict them as being on Diana's level. And no amount of skill with a spear will save you from a tank or fighter jet.

They don't need to be on Diana's level. The normal standard of Amazons is that they can lift 12 tons, a normal car weighs around 2 and then you got a big one at that. A main battle tank weighs no more than 80 tons and normally less, meaning all it takes is 6-7 Amazons to flip it over on the side. Not to mention that tanks are notoriously hard to see out of and rely a great deal on the eyes of other tanks and infantry to see an enemy thats gotten close to them.

As for jets... well, they've already proven they can shoot those down with a bow and arrow, and they nearly downed Air Force One by throwing a spear at the pilot.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh? What? I'm going to need you to get it together, that republican diatribe of yours didn't make a lot of sense. Calling you closed minded wasn't an insult, it was a statement of fact. You proved as much with your "Wonder Woman and Themyscira is the same for 'it was better in the old days'"

What book have you been reading? Why would any society that sheltered themselves from the outside world for millennia think things were "better in the old days"? If that was the case, they never would have separated themselves in the first place. They were created by the gods to be a race that showed the world the capabilities of women, and they went into hiding due to being feared, hated and persecuted because of it. They wouldn't want the old fashioned ways of the past, where they were tricked, raped and warred against, that's why they hate men so much in the first place.

Such a culture would make strides to ensure that status quo wouldn't happen again, so they would seek to be the best could at war. Therefore during those despicable raids they're known for, they'd pick up on the changes the outside world have made and attempt to implement them, so they'd remain the world's premier warriors.

I have to go to work, I'll annihilate your response when I get back.

Oh so thats not insulting then? Then calling you a retard isn't either because thats a fact as well.

The rest is not for you and clearly beyond your comprention, so dont bother hurting yourself.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

They don't need to be on Diana's level. The normal standard of Amazons is that they can lift 12 tons, a normal car weighs around 2 and then you got a big one at that. A main battle tank weighs no more than 80 tons and normally less, meaning all it takes is 6-7 Amazons to flip it over on the side. Not to mention that tanks are notoriously hard to see out of and rely a great deal on the eyes of other tanks and infantry to see an enemy thats gotten close to them.

As for jets... well, they've already proven they can shoot those down with a bow and arrow, and they nearly downed Air Force One by throwing a spear at the pilot.

The outside world has access to more than tanks. And there's still the issue of alien and supernatural invaders. How are they going to save themselves from Darkseid or Mongul?

Yeah, and that moment, among others, ahs been thoroughly criticized.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

The outside world has access to more than tanks. And there's still the issue of alien and supernatural invaders. How are they going to save themselves from Darkseid or Mongul?

Nothing quite as durable amongst the conventional weapons. Regarding supernatural and alien threats... they are about as vulnurable as everyone else is by the looks of it... better perhaps because you can't find their island.

So let me get this straight, one one hand you complain that they are (presumably) more vulnurable than normal people, yet you throw away the instace where they prove they are not? Look, AA was a bad story, the Amazons looked terrible and Hippolyta most of all, but none of that is a reason to pretend it just didnt count or happen.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

Nothing quite as durable amongst the conventional weapons. Regarding supernatural and alien threats... they are about as vulnurable as everyone else is by the looks of it... better perhaps because you can't find their island.

So let me get this straight, one one hand you complain that they are (presumably) more vulnurable than normal people, yet you throw away the instace where they prove they are not? Look, AA was a bad story, the Amazons looked terrible and Hippolyta most of all, but none of that is a reason to pretend it just didnt count or happen.

I'm complaining that the way they were portrayed as threat level relied on PIS an accusation that gets trotted out whenever Diana does well against any opponent fanboys think should slaughter her in mere seconds and the last thing I want is to give them more ammo. I like seeing Batman being formidable but that doesn't mean I'll accept a story where he beats Diana by kicking her in the stomach.

That said, if they can't have sci-fi tech then focusing on their magical and mystical nature can work also I agree.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

I'm complaining that the way they were portrayed as threat level relied on PIS an accusation that gets trotted out whenever Diana does well against any opponent fanboys think should slaughter her in mere seconds and the last thing I want is to give them more ammo.

I like seeing Batman being formidable but that doesn't mean I'll accept a story where he beats Diana by kicking her in the stomach.

That said, if they can't have sci-fi tech then focusing on their magical and mystical nature can work also I agree.

I am not sure why the threat the Amazons posed was a case of PIS, I mean they filled the Mall with soldiers and monsters and they were all teleported directly into the heart of Washington which was then sealed off with magic... The reason behind them being there in the first place is, I agee, a steaming pile of bs, but what they did while they were there was not. Add to this it's the second time within a matter of years Batman is nearly killed by a normal Amazon (Artemis is after a normal Amazon and he had to cheat to beat her, in AA Superman had to throw a dumpster at another befor she could take his head off):

No Caption Provided

Well, that was a Batman story after all... can't really blame Amazons Attack for that one. Regarding how he neutralized Circe... well despite how silly the trick was, Circe is normally completely stuffed if someone eats a plant (Perez), so maybe not that dumb.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

@csg_cl said:

"Hairless Apes" in and of itself is a faulty device since it relies on the assumption that apes exist on other planets and who knows if space apes all have hair ;)

There are reasons for them to change, you just don't like them, there is a difference. Even Diana calls the Amazons society stagnant in N52 ... I'm not saying they need lasers and lightsabers or even techno-gadgetry I'm saying they need to be more than just a "peek at the past" to me that's just unexceptional in a different way and I'd like them to have some uniqueness. As someone said above, they should be wondrous, this version isn't to me, but with a little variety they could be.

How have they surpassed Athens or Sparta if they have had no progress in 3000 years? The current version even seems to have regressed from Hellenistic Greece, with the current Amazons we've not actually seen any other kinds of jobs except military, Hessia was the "greatest healer" and she is more warrior than medic and we've not seen her do anything to heal aside from use the Purple Ray, which is now simply a relic she found rather than an innovation of an Amazon. The society we've seen is fairly one dimensional thus far. Perez and what generally follow had more depth, showing healers, philosophers, warriors, artists and mystics and even that was watered down from Marston's vision IMO.

LOL ... totally safer to be stoned :) but it doesn't change the argument that there are more angles to a Hellenistic society for DC to explore! I actually had high hopes for where Azzarello left things, but the Finch run has not followed through.

I'd argue that it would be nice if DC would respect what they were meant to be rather than regressing them back to the Bronze Age and making them rather petty and simplistic. The drastic change you are talking about happened with the N52. IMO what's happened to the Amazons in N52 is the worst thing about the WW universe.

Or just that the visitors have conducted somekind of survey of Earth before they make contact with humans.

No, the reasons I've so far been presented have all been items that fit squarely into the: "Because I personally want them to be/have this." And I haven't ever said they couldn't be wonderous, I am just firmly against them being so through technology... because damn well nearly all secret/lost societies in DC/Marvel fiction are more advanced than the outside world, so to me you are making them more generic by adding the tech angle. What you could do instead was simulate techonological achievements through other means, like magic, deeper understanding of the world around them, connection with the planet, gifts from above that kind of thing. Alternatively, you could make them as smart and capable as you want, but let them carry a deeply conservative view of their world; as in, they could change things... but they like them the way they are.

Because they could move beyond both without having to re-invent the wheel. In most versions, the Amazons are superhumanly strong and durable. That alone would put them above Sparta and it's shield walls, on top of this you have to factor in that they have been alive and fighting with the same weapons and tactics for 3000 years, which should put them well above just about any other wielder of shield, sword, bow and spear. Not to mention from the get go, their weapons and armor will have been crafted to suit them, so who's to say a normal person can even lift an Amazon's shield or be able to draw with their bows? Regarding Athens, regarded as a seat of knowledge and philosophy... well the Amazons could have made the same mathematical, astrological/biological observations, and as a deeply religious people they will have had as much reason to debate the nature of the world and the words of the gods as much as anyone, they just had more time to perfect it.

And that is the point I am trying to make. You don't need to make the Amazons advanced to make them wonderous or marvelous, all you need to do is take their Broze Age world and push it to the max. Why would you need better weapons if your average sister with and axe can pretty much take a tank apart? Why better armor when what you have is nearly bulletproof? Why bother with the longwinded medical studies of Man's World when you can cure just about anything using certain roots and leaves from your back garden or the surrounding jungle? And so on. If Superman and Metropolis is the posterboy for the good future, Wonder Woman and Themyscira is the same for 'it was better in the old days'.

While that might be true, Themyscira has always been a melting-pot of modern perceptions of the Greek city-states. You had your Athens-like buildings, your Sparta-like military along with Delphi-like oracles.

Thing is that what you are thinking of was the state they existed in for nearly 80 years... and DC apparently didn't have anywhere to go with it. Which isn't to say it doesn't still exist, you just haven't gotten a writer willing to deal with it yet.

Yet how many basically human, in appearance, alien races do we see? Calling someone a hairless ape when you look exactly the same is silly ... why not something like "poor-man's Kryptonian" or "wingless Thanagarian" or any of a dozen other insults? Point still remains that comparing Themyscira of today with Hellenistic Greece in a direct line is a fluff argument based 100% of a superficial similarity. Point of fact is that the Amazons were considered the mighty enemy of Greece and in historical terms were considered culturally nearly opposite.

I agree that they don't need modern gadgets and super tech based on man's world and such, I've been saying that in pretty much every post I've made so I think we are saying many of the same things and I'm going to move forward in that fashion.

Where we don't align is that I don't think WW is or should be "it was better in the old days" I have always found her and the Amazons a bastion of "how it could have been". As in if we started in the same place (Hellenistic Greece) and then went our own ways this is how things could have turned out if men hadn't kept trying to conquer each other. No Roman Empire(s) Holy or otherwise, No Ottomans, No Vatican, No European Imperialism etc ... The Amazons should represent how Ancient Greece would have evolved over 3,000 if it had not been destroyed by various issues. The key ingredients would include philosophy, poetry, combat, mysticism and medicine (probably others, but that's what comes to mind) ... would any of this look like our world today, maybe, but with Amazonian spin on it so you'd get the mental radio instead of cell phones etc...

I do think a dose of fantastical things makes them vastly more interesting and show some of the value of the society that isn't being shown currently. The Post-Crisis Amazons had many facets and is really what you are describing above. But, I disagree that the current Amazons are being portrayed as you describe. N52 Themyscira has shown us none of these things.

I'd also note that the Amazons were the first of major group of "hidden" societies in comics and they were conceived as super advanced, DC has regressed them over time to a much less advanced society that doesn't even make their own armor, weapons, medical supplies ... they trade for most of these things with Hephaestus now, which I find less and less appealing as time goes by. We've seen very little of the greatness of the Amazons since Finch took the reigns.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

Not really true ... the Golden Age Amazons were all near Diana's level thus the contest was meant to find the "best of the best", before the blessings power origin came along Diana was only a little better than her sisters ... Post-Crisis Amazon's were all fairly significantly superhuman as well. Look at Artemis and Grace Choi, they could both manage a fighter jet or a tank with ease and neither of them was pure Themysciran Amazon. Current N52 Amazons have not shown this level of power though.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Outside_85
    @csg_cl said:

Yet how many basically human, in appearance, alien races do we see? Calling someone a hairless ape when you look exactly the same is silly ... why not something like "poor-man's Kryptonian" or "wingless Thanagarian" or any of a dozen other insults? Point still remains that comparing Themyscira of today with Hellenistic Greece in a direct line is a fluff argument based 100% of a superficial similarity. Point of fact is that the Amazons were considered the mighty enemy of Greece and in historical terms were considered culturally nearly opposite.

I agree that they don't need modern gadgets and super tech based on man's world and such, I've been saying that in pretty much every post I've made so I think we are saying many of the same things and I'm going to move forward in that fashion.

Where we don't align is that I don't think WW is or should be "it was better in the old days" I have always found her and the Amazons a bastion of "how it could have been". As in if we started in the same place (Hellenistic Greece) and then went our own ways this is how things could have turned out if men hadn't kept trying to conquer each other. No Roman Empire(s) Holy or otherwise, No Ottomans, No Vatican, No European Imperialism etc ... The Amazons should represent how Ancient Greece would have evolved over 3,000 if it had not been destroyed by various issues. The key ingredients would include philosophy, poetry, combat, mysticism and medicine (probably others, but that's what comes to mind) ... would any of this look like our world today, maybe, but with Amazonian spin on it so you'd get the mental radio instead of cell phones etc...

I do think a dose of fantastical things makes them vastly more interesting and show some of the value of the society that isn't being shown currently. The Post-Crisis Amazons had many facets and is really what you are describing above. But, I disagree that the current Amazons are being portrayed as you describe. N52 Themyscira has shown us none of these things.

I'd also note that the Amazons were the first of major group of "hidden" societies in comics and they were conceived as super advanced, DC has regressed them over time to a much less advanced society that doesn't even make their own armor, weapons, medical supplies ... they trade for most of these things with Hephaestus now, which I find less and less appealing as time goes by.

We've seen very little of the greatness of the Amazons since Finch took the reigns.

You could ofc do that, but then you had to assume your target actually knew what either of them were. As for comparing Themyscira and the Greece of yesteryear... thats not silly at all considering it's supposed to be one of them, existing intact in the modern world. And Sparta was considered the antithesis of Athens, more often than not they were bitter enemies and Sparta even burnt Athens to the ground once. And culturally... well thats how they were depicted, by their enemies, which is something I am not inclined to take for granted (even if they weren't fictional). Like vikings have been for centuries considered nothing more than filthy, warmongering barbarians... which just isn't true.

Agreed.

Well, that's the question really; were the Amazons put on Earth to be the example of all that mankind could and should be in the eyes of Olympus? Or were they meant to 'keep up' with the lesser humans around them?

They haven't been depicted as such, true enough, but just because we don't see these things, doesn't mean they don't exist. I am ofc only guaranteeing they have everything to make a society work, so I am certain that there are smiths to make a fix tools, they will have masons and carpenters to make buildings, they will have scholars and scribes to (at the very least) record their own history and the queens decisions and so on.

That is true, but there was a hidden meaning with them being as advanced as they were, one which I am not certain is as relevant in this much more balanced age than the one they were created in. I am not sure how much we want to put in the trade with Hephaestus as affecting what the Amazons do and don't, they still need to maintain these items, they still need basic tools (hammers, shovels, plowshares). Heph may be providing the weapons and armor, but nothing else and I am not sure he's the sort you ask for a handful of nails or a shovel.

Well Finch couldn't write greatness unless someone else wrote it for her, so there's that.

@csg_cl said:
    @agent_z said:

Not really true ... the Golden Age Amazons were all near Diana's level thus the contest was meant to find the "best of the best", before the blessings power origin came along Diana was only a little better than her sisters ... Post-Crisis Amazon's were all fairly significantly superhuman as well. Look at Artemis and Grace Choi, they could both manage a fighter jet or a tank with ease and neither of them was pure Themysciran Amazon. Current N52 Amazons have not shown this level of power though.

Save for Exoristos in Demon Knights who could knock over several tons of charging dinosaur with a single blow of a large tenderizer.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

I'd also note that the Amazons were the first of major group of "hidden" societies in comics and they were conceived as super advanced, DC has regressed them over time to a much less advanced society that doesn't even make their own armor, weapons, medical supplies ... they trade for most of these things with Hephaestus now, which I find less and less appealing as time goes by.

We've seen very little of the greatness of the Amazons since Finch took the reigns.

You could ofc do that, but then you had to assume your target actually knew what either of them were. As for comparing Themyscira and the Greece of yesteryear... thats not silly at all considering it's supposed to be one of them, existing intact in the modern world. And Sparta was considered the antithesis of Athens, more often than not they were bitter enemies and Sparta even burnt Athens to the ground once. And culturally... well thats how they were depicted, by their enemies, which is something I am not inclined to take for granted (even if they weren't fictional). Like vikings have been for centuries considered nothing more than filthy, warmongering barbarians... which just isn't true.

Agreed.

Well, that's the question really; were the Amazons put on Earth to be the example of all that mankind could and should be in the eyes of Olympus? Or were they meant to 'keep up' with the lesser humans around them?

They haven't been depicted as such, true enough, but just because we don't see these things, doesn't mean they don't exist. I am ofc only guaranteeing they have everything to make a society work, so I am certain that there are smiths to make a fix tools, they will have masons and carpenters to make buildings, they will have scholars and scribes to (at the very least) record their own history and the queens decisions and so on.

That is true, but there was a hidden meaning with them being as advanced as they were, one which I am not certain is as relevant in this much more balanced age than the one they were created in. I am not sure how much we want to put in the trade with Hephaestus as affecting what the Amazons do and don't, they still need to maintain these items, they still need basic tools (hammers, shovels, plowshares). Heph may be providing the weapons and armor, but nothing else and I am not sure he's the sort you ask for a handful of nails or a shovel.

Well Finch couldn't write greatness unless someone else wrote it for her, so there's that.

@csg_cl said:
    @agent_z said:

Save for Exoristos in Demon Knights who could knock over several tons of charging dinosaur with a single blow of a large tenderizer.

Forgot about Exoristos. But since she's never appeared again that's not a huge shock.

I generally agree with the thought process that a lack of evidence does not = inability, or in other words I don't need it to appear on the page to believe something is possible. But what we've seen of the N52 Amazons is woefully inadequate IMO. Not a single mention of farms, smiths or other non-warrior roles, which is what sort of irritates me to be honest. I'd like for a writer to explore them in more depth beyond just being warriors. At this point we've got 4 years of one view of Themyscira and I'm not impressed with it. With that said, they're a blank slate for someone with some skill to explore so I hold out hope.

I still disagree that Themyscira should be a slice of history, I prefer the idea that they actually made use of their 3000 years apart to do some cool intellectual things, which would, after all, be very Greek of them.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Forgot about Exoristos. But since she's never appeared again that's not a huge shock.

I generally agree with the thought process that a lack of evidence does not = inability, or in other words I don't need it to appear on the page to believe something is possible. But what we've seen of the N52 Amazons is woefully inadequate IMO. Not a single mention of farms, smiths or other non-warrior roles, which is what sort of irritates me to be honest. I'd like for a writer to explore them in more depth beyond just being warriors. At this point we've got 4 years of one view of Themyscira and I'm not impressed with it. With that said, they're a blank slate for someone with some skill to explore so I hold out hope.

I still disagree that Themyscira should be a slice of history, I prefer the idea that they actually made use of their 3000 years apart to do some cool intellectual things, which would, after all, be very Greek of them.

Ture, but she is the only stock we got atm :)

Well, thats all down to the writer actually finding stuff like this interesting... and it wasn't in Azzarello's and it doesn't appear to be in Finch's either.

I think we will just have to disagree on that. Each to his/her own :)

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Ture, but she is the only stock we got atm :)

Well, thats all down to the writer actually finding stuff like this interesting... and it wasn't in Azzarello's and it doesn't appear to be in Finch's either.

I think we will just have to disagree on that. Each to his/her own :)

Agreed :)

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

Part of me says yes they should be more advanced because a civilization of immortal women should have other focuses rather than philosophies but another part of me says no considering they live in paradise in which they obtain everything they need.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My upper brain says yes, however my two lower brains say no, Steve's plane should crash right in the middle of the Playboy Ranch where half-nymph half-Amazon women live their little pointless lives by the lake, dipping their toes in the water, like the Elois. That's paradise, from Steve's perspective only

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My upper brain says yes, however my two lower brains say no, Steve's plane should crash right in the middle of the Playboy Ranch where half-nymph half-Amazon women live their little pointless lives by the lake, dipping their toes in the water, like the Elois. That's paradise, from Steve's perspective only

I think the Amazon's dipping their toes in the water like the Elois would consider that paradise too

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Archizooom

@csg_cl: The Eloi were happy living like free range chickens because they had the brains of a chicken however for an Amazon that way of life, dipping their toes in the water, rinse, repeat for 1 million 95 thousand days, without men to climb on top of them, the joy of raising children, without netflix, candy crush, freedom and self-fulfillment, sounds maddening to me

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: The Eloi were happy living like free range chickens because they had the brains of a chicken however for an Amazon that way of life, dipping their toes in the water, rinse, repeat for 1 million 95 thousand days, without men to climb on top of them, the joy of raising children, without netflix, candy crush, freedom and self-fulfillment, sounds maddening to me

one woman's madness is another's paradise. But this is also why I think the Amazon's would have their own innovations, boredom can be a powerful motivator.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Also spending three thousand years honing their sword skills is quite penny wise pound foolish, in the modern world the Amazons are like sitting ducks, should the Gods forsake them. Plus by definition, Amazons are free, strong, independent women who do extraordinary things, not nymphs that while the days away by the riverbank sipping on a glass of wine. During the classical period fighting on foot was incredible for a woman, however today in the dc universe, incredible is to genetically engineer laser-breathing dragons with impenetrable skin and mapping the ocean floor. Also I think visually, it would be a lot more interesting if Themyscira didn't just look like an open-source grecian city. Plus I've got 3000 years worth of Amazon history roughly laid out in my head so as far as I'm concerned the pros far outweigh the cons in favor of technologically advanced Amazons.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Also spending three thousand years honing their sword skills is quite penny wise pound foolish, in the modern world the Amazons are like sitting ducks, should the Gods forsake them. Plus by definition, Amazons are free, strong, independent women who do extraordinary things, not nymphs that while the days away by the riverbank sipping on a glass of wine. During the classical period fighting on foot was incredible for a woman, however today in the dc universe, incredible is to genetically engineer laser-breathing dragons with impenetrable skin and mapping the ocean floor. Also I think visually, it would be a lot more interesting if Themyscira didn't just look like an open-source grecian city. Plus I've got 3000 years worth of Amazon history roughly laid out in my head so as far as I'm concerned the pros far outweigh the cons in favor of technologically advanced Amazons.

As I was saying above I think there is an aesthetic to the Hellenistic feel of Themyscira that belongs no matter what else happens with the Amazons. I'm not necessarily in favor of super-tech and such, but I do think the current version of PI is missing key components from the Marston vision. Mental radios, purple healing rays and alien kangaroos for mounts was fun and showcased that they were full of ingenuity.

As for wine sipping nymphs, I think Amazons can take vacation days and hang out by the river if they wish, part of the ideal of Paradise is idyllic moments such as this, shouldn't take away from the rest because a few women are chilling in the sun.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: the Amazons are like sitting ducks, should the Gods forsake them.

Hardly. Atlantis has survived just fine without gods and the Amazons have stuff that they made without the Olympians' help. In the past continuity anyway.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Also spending three thousand years honing their sword skills is quite penny wise pound foolish, in the modern world the Amazons are like sitting ducks, should the Gods forsake them.

Actually with the New 52 I'd say it's completely opposite; The Amazons survive in-spite of having to put up with about 2 dozen entities that treat them like amusing insects.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde said:

@csg_cl: Also spending three thousand years honing their sword skills is quite penny wise pound foolish, in the modern world the Amazons are like sitting ducks, should the Gods forsake them.

Actually with the New 52 I'd say it's completely opposite; The Amazons survive in-spite of having to put up with about 2 dozen entities that treat them like amusing insects.

Hardly a merit... more a plot hole/weakness. They survived simply because they are insects and wiping them away is not even that amusing. The moment an entity feels like ruining their life, their life is over (Strife attack and Hera's snake spell).

Every single modern nation would wipe them away with little effort (they would probably succeed against the invading infantry, but after that the amazons would be bombed to Tartarus).

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

Hardly a merit... more a plot hole/weakness. They survived simply because they are insects and wiping them away is not even that amusing. The moment an entity feels like ruining their life, their life is over (Strife attack and Hera's snake spell).

Every single modern nation would wipe them away with little effort (they would probably succeed against the invading infantry, but after that the amazons would be bombed to Tartarus).

Which would be the same in the case of every major city or army. Only that the Amazons actually suffer from this from time to time. The Amazons are still there, would Metropolis?

Maybe, if they could actually find the island, since it's been established that the only way to find Paradise is to have an Amazon lead you there. One Amazon can lead an army to it's shores, but you can't have one sitting in each plane telling the pilot where to go.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: First Born didn't seem to have any problem finding the island.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@outside_85: First Born didn't seem to have any problem finding the island.

Who also happened to be King of Olympus. A better argument would be how Ra's managed it... if it wasn't because B&R was a pile of stinking batwank...

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: The Amazons fought the forces of Lapetus and the First Born and both times they were pushed to the brink of annihilation, the stymphalian birds wreaked chaos in Themyscira, the Amazons definitely haven't been successful in their military efforts in the new 52, their oldfangled military tactics have been shown to be inadequate. Actually, weren't for the men and their heavy artillery, Wonder Woman and the Amazons would've gone under with no one left to bury their swords with them

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: The Amazons fought the forces of Lapetus and the First Born and both times they were pushed to the brink of annihilation, the stymphalian birds wreaked chaos in Themyscira, the Amazons definitely haven't been successful in their military efforts in the new 52, their oldfangled military tactics have been shown to be inadequate.

Actually, weren't for the men and their heavy artillery, Wonder Woman and the Amazons would've gone under with no one left to bury their swords with them

By which you seem to imply they wouldn't have been pushed to the brink in a Deathstroke book if they had M-16's or pew-pew lazors? As for the birds, the Amazons drove them off several times before Diana found out about them.

Ok, so where did that happen, because I don't recall any story showing men bringing heavy artillery to Paradise Island?

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde said:

@outside_85: The Amazons fought the forces of Lapetus and the First Born and both times they were pushed to the brink of annihilation, the stymphalian birds wreaked chaos in Themyscira, the Amazons definitely haven't been successful in their military efforts in the new 52, their oldfangled military tactics have been shown to be inadequate.

Actually, weren't for the men and their heavy artillery, Wonder Woman and the Amazons would've gone under with no one left to bury their swords with them

By which you seem to imply they wouldn't have been pushed to the brink in a Deathstroke book if they had M-16's or pew-pew lazors? As for the birds, the Amazons drove them off several times before Diana found out about them.

Ok, so where did that happen, because I don't recall any story showing men bringing heavy artillery to Paradise Island?

It was when Heph and the Manazons showed up to save the from First Born.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was when Heph and the Manazons showed up to save the from First Born.

Oh you mean the ambush they had prepared, like the Ewoks prepared treetrucks to fight walkers..

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: No I mean the Mechanical Elephants with gatling-type guns incorporated, you can call that heavy artillery can't you? Actually I thought Azzarello really drove the point home that the Amazons cast away the males to their own detriment, he didn't glorify the archaic Amazon way of life, that's for sure. And while Lapetus would've probably still thinned their numbers, at least that wouldn't have been because the Amazons went at it with rudimentary weapons.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: No I mean the Mechanical Elephants with gatling-type guns incorporated, you can call that heavy artillery can't you?

Actually I thought Azzarello really drove the point home that the Amazons cast away the males to their own detriment, he didn't glorify the archaic Amazon way of life, that's for sure. And while Lapetus would've probably still thinned their numbers, at least that wouldn't have been because the Amazons went at it with rudimentary weapons.

Because I am fussy about terms like that, I would call them heavy cavalry... since artillery is nearly always long range cannon fire.

Maybe he didn't glorify the lifestyle, but he certainly didn't depict them as incompetent.

Bolded: This is the biggest bone I have to pick with you about this; what makes you think something like bullets from a normal gun can even get through the hide of one of those monsters? Because I seem to recall that in all of pop-culture, outside of shooter games, guns are close to being the worst possible weapons you could bring to a supernatural fight. Not to mention you had Diana and Deathstroke using the same kinds of weapons as the Amazons to great effect.

Sidenote: also we have to remember that the Amazons main property as a story telling tool in many cases is to provide bodies to show that an enemy is dangerous, which is the same that happens to any largish group of nobodies; happens to Green Lanterns all the time, happened to Kryptonians the only time they came in large amounts, happens to cops and soldiers as well. So it's kinda a moot argument to say they would have done better with different weapons, because they just wouldn't.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Archizooom

@outside_85: well if the Amazons are there just to fill body bags, after a long and uneventful life where they achieved exactly nothing then that's just very sad isn't it...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: well if the Amazons are there just to fill body bags, after a long and uneventful life where they achieved exactly nothing then that's just very sad isn't it...

But hey, since they never had a name and nothing was ever written about them, then nothing was lost and they can come back one the next page as another nameless character.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does everybody see what I meant by "closed minded" now? Even though his arguments make absolutely no sense and clearly aren't in the Amazon's best interest, he doesn't care, because he doesn't care about the Amazons. He just wants things his way, despite the fact his hero Azzarello showed him where that line of thinking leads. It leads to utter destruction. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: right... I am just going to put you on notice that I am going to flag you every time you type something like that, because I am tired of you and your insults that you lack the spine to tag me for.

Have a nice life.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: Fair point. That's why I stopped even arguing. You won't gain anything but negative feedback. He's pretty much the sour apple in the bunch. You don't see anyone disagreeing except that one.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only respond negatively when I'm faced with really poor arguments, very stupid suggestions or insulting behaviour.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flag whatever bruh, I'm not insulting you. Obviously "closed minded" is an observation, "retard" is an insult.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will, and you are.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp said:

@outside_85: Only flag posts that break a rule. Don't waste mods' time.

Says outright on your FAQ to flag and ignore users one has issues with, so I will.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp said:

@outside_85: Right. Common sense should tell you that it is for harassment or name-calling. Don't flag a user unless they break a rule.

And I will.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.