Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Would you have liked Geoff Johns?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

instead of azzarello? or would you like him to take over the book now

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hawk80

He couldn't have done worse than Azzarello...

As for now... I don't care. I firmly believe that nothing good could be done with this in-name-only WW.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

As for now... I don't care. I firmly believe that nothing good could be done with this in-name-only WW.

If John's would be on a solo WW title it would do Diana good, especially with the way he his writing and featuring her now in Justice League. Azzarello did amazing things to Diana. God of War, Demigoddess, god-mode, Queen, leader, kind etc

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus: God of War? Demigoddess? God-Mode? Those things are nothing but garbage on WW.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

If Johns had been announced as the writer, I would have been hugely skeptical, and I would have dropped it after #6 if his writing of her was as appalling as it was in Justice League.

Replacing the Finchs however, that would be a nice small improvement... because it can hardly get any worse.

@hawk80 said:

@klaus: God of War? Demigoddess? God-Mode? Those things are nothing but garbage on WW.

And who do you think had something to say about getting those things in there? The Chief Creative Officer perhaps?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johns take on Wonder Woman now is far superior to how he wrote her in the first couple of years of N52. I liked Azzarello's story, but there were certainly things he did that I wish had not happened ... sex-pirates

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I think that Azz' run was garbage and ruined WW, but I don't point my finger exclusively at Azz... Even if those things were 100% his ideas, some idiot/ignorant approved them (to say the least).

At least I can usually stand Johns' writing.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johns would probably do her justice, I mean look at aquaman

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9  Edited By Outside_85

@hawk80 said:

@outside_85: I think that Azz' run was garbage and ruined WW, but I don't point my finger exclusively at Azz... Even if those things were 100% his ideas, some idiot/ignorant approved them (to say the least).

Wonder Woman is one of the biggest names for DC, valuable enough that they are willing to keep publishing her no matter how bad the sales to prevent her from returning to the control of the Marston-estate. With that kind of setup, DC needs to make her successful somehow, especially when they also realized that the old way wasn't viable any more.

So my suspicion is that when Azzarello pitched his idea, DC had already set up a frame he could pitch it from. This frame is the result of DC's big wigs sitting down and deciding how to make Wonder Woman relevant for the new age. Which I imagine included the simplification of her origins, the latest step in making the Amazons seem more primitive (which has been an ongoing thing since Amazons Attack) and the dispersal of many of her mortal adversaries.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
    @hawk80 said:

If John's would be on a solo WW title it would do Diana good, especially with the way he his writing and featuring her now in Justice League. Azzarello did amazing things to Diana. God of War, Demigoddess, god-mode, Queen, leader, kind etc

all this stuff is a load of crap. "God Mode"? the absolutely dumbest thor rip off crap. This is Hercules Woman not wonder woman and Johns in 20 billion times the writer Azz is. Unfortunately Johns doesn´t respect WW much either.

mcanarki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @klaus said:
    @hawk80 said:

all this stuff is a load of crap. "God Mode"? the absolutely dumbest thor rip off crap. This is Hercules Woman not wonder woman and Johns in 20 billion times the writer Azz is. Unfortunately Johns doesn´t respect WW much either.

Wiki: In the Silver and Bronze ages of comics, Wonder Woman was able to further increase her strength. In times of great need, removing her bracelets would temporarily augment her power tenfold, but cause her to go insane in the process

Teramain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: u do realize that johns is a silver age fanboy

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

When he focuses on a character he always does a solid job.

WW is the protagonist of his last two JL arcs and his portrayal is the best of the new 52 (Azz's story was better but Johns hits better characterization).

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teramain: that didn't stop me from liking his aquaman books, and he's a consistently good storyteller. Besides, it's 2015, what's the worst that could happen?

Avatar image for vvoodst0ck--defunct
    vvoodst0ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When he focuses on a character he always does a solid job.

WW is the protagonist of his last two JL arcs and his portrayal is the best of the new 52 (Azz's story was better but Johns hits better characterization).

"when he focuses on a character he likes/understand, he always does a solid job" FIXED

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @klaus said:
    @hawk80 said:

You must not know much about Wonder Woman if you think God-mode is a rip off of Thor, and I am assuming his Warrior Madness state.

First of all, when Diana was first created (long before Marvel so originally made Thor a hero) she possessed the ability to remove her gauntlets and increase her strength 10 fold. The only downside is that she would enter a berserker rage. If anything, Warrior Madness is a rip off of that.

Secondly, Diana's God-mode isn't even a god-mode or an amp, that term is just what fans gave it. As explained in the comics, the level of power Diana displays during this state is her normal power level. The bracelets weaken her. This is an original idea.

Azzarello was a genius. And you are really reaching if you think John's doesn't respect Diana. It is true that he was a shit Wonder Woman writer earlier in the New 52, but ever since the Amazo arc and Jason Fabok's influence, John's has written Wonder Woman beyond everyones expectations and has given her the utmost respect, even going far enough in an interview as to say that she is the future of the Justice League.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

That might be you're opinion, but it is one that isn't shared throughout the Wonder Woman fandom. Diana being made a Demigoddess literally gave her the divinity many fans claimed she had Pre-52. Before she was a servant of the gods, and now she walks among them. The GOW mantle was a very smart move and created a much more interesting dynamic in her story line and her personal struggle. And her god-mode has finally given us the hope that she could potentially be more powerful than almost any other flying brick out there.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @klaus said:
    @hawk80 said:

You must not know much about Wonder Woman if you think God-mode is a rip off of Thor, and I am assuming his Warrior Madness state.

First of all, when Diana was first created (long before Marvel so originally made Thor a hero) she possessed the ability to remove her gauntlets and increase her strength 10 fold. The only downside is that she would enter a berserker rage. If anything, Warrior Madness is a rip off of that.

Secondly, Diana's God-mode isn't even a god-mode or an amp, that term is just what fans gave it. As explained in the comics, the level of power Diana displays during this state is her normal power level. The bracelets weaken her. This is an original idea.

Azzarello was a genius. And you are really reaching if you think John's doesn't respect Diana. It is true that he was a shit Wonder Woman writer earlier in the New 52, but ever since the Amazo arc and Jason Fabok's influence, John's has written Wonder Woman beyond everyones expectations and has given her the utmost respect, even going far enough in an interview as to say that she is the future of the Justice League.

I´m referring to John´s own words on WW. He was on record as saying he doesn´t get her. He may have changed that opinion. I haven´t yet read his latest stuff on WW in JL but I plan to, since Geoff John´s gets it.

Aquaman, Shazam and Batman earth One are masterful. I would hold it up to anything and I mean anything that Azzerrello has ever done. Azzerrello was a genius? wow an epithet thrown around far to often, but in this case, how absurd.

So the bracelets weaken her, but osensibly the same result comes of it. WW gets more powerful when not wearing the bracelets. His whole origin story was highly unoriginal for WW. Subsequently his story did improve, and became somewhat enjoyable, but all in all I see it as a fail and 10 years from now I think a lot more people will see it the same way. Much like Danny O´neils run. The premise was just so stupid it´s hard to escape it.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Yeah John's has completely changed his opinion on Wonder Woman. He seems to have fallen in love with her character as he stated many times over the past few months. His Wonder Woman of late has been among the most powerful, intelligent versions we have seen in the New 52. Its completely different from his previous version in the beginning of New 52.

Your opinion of Azzarellos run may not be positive, but remember it was a critically acclaimed run, and one that many fans also enjoyed and embraced.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

Your opinion of Azzarellos run may not be positive, but remember it was a critically acclaimed run, and one that many non-fans and some fans also enjoyed and embraced.

Fixed for you. And critical acclaim is different from "good" or "right".

The sole fact that splitted the fanbase (let's say in them middle) is proof that his "product of genius" should not be canon (to say the very least).

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

@jphulk26: Yeah John's has completely changed his opinion on Wonder Woman. He seems to have fallen in love with her character as he stated many times over the past few months. His Wonder Woman of late has been among the most powerful, intelligent versions we have seen in the New 52. Its completely different from his previous version in the beginning of New 52.

Your opinion of Azzarellos run may not be positive, but remember it was a critically acclaimed run, and one that many fans also enjoyed and embraced.

that´s cause the story, post origin is a good story, just not a good ww story. it could be aquaman or hercules or wonder girl or any myth based character at the centre of the story and it would not change it.

Teramain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: read the statement below the one I'm responding to. Johns wud make it a silver age throwback and get rid of everything perez Rucka jimenez simone and Azzarello have added to the character

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johns would do a much better job than Finch. What are we fighting for? This is why Wonder Woman is being tossed around. The fans can never agree to a consensus.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would keep Azzarello then make Johns write her. I don't know why Azzarello get bad rep, he made the amazons more interesting than they typically were. And he took WW greek aspect further and greater. And the cast of Azzarello run was really good I loved Hera and Orion especially. And for their method of reproduction didn't Amazons originally do that sex thing with male tribes in greek mythology?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@handofprometheus: there isnt anything interesting about rapist and slave traders imo. i wont deny azzarello did some great things and had some good takes on her story that i respect(i.e First Born) but a number of his changes spat on the history of ww and making the amazons the evil man hating rapist(even if this is similar to certain interpretations of greek myth) is just not one of those great things

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like Azzarello as a writer a lot more than Johns.... I can't think of the last time I read something by Johns that I enjoyed....

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handofprometheus: The Amazons weren't always portrayed as rapists. Azzarello just went with the version that made them the least sympathetic. Of course, George Perez gets similar flack for writing Heracles as a rapist and misogynist.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything Johns did would've been better than what we got from Azzarello. He would have gone backwards to move forward, instead of blatantly disrespecting the source material by trashing everything and making up his own $#*t.

Also from Johns we'd get fully fleshed out storytelling and whatever he added to the mythos would be cooler than chicken feet and giant talking tweety birds.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jphulk26

@handofprometheus said:

I would keep Azzarello then make Johns write her. I don't know why Azzarello get bad rep, he made the amazons more interesting than they typically were. And he took WW greek aspect further and greater. And the cast of Azzarello run was really good I loved Hera and Orion especially. And for their method of reproduction didn't Amazons originally do that sex thing with male tribes in greek mythology?

He made the Amazons more interesting by making them snakes, for the whole of his run? Right?

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:
    @klaus said:

The sole fact that splitted the fanbase (let's say in them middle) is proof that his "product of genius" should not be canon (to say the very least).

Don't try to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed.

What is "good" or "right" is entirely subjective, so whether or not you believed Azzarello's run was good or right, that doesn't make it a fact. Just an opinion not shared by critics and many fans.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Klaus

@jphulk26 said:
    @klaus said:

that´s cause the story, post origin is a good story, just not a good ww story. it could be aquaman or hercules or wonder girl or any myth based character at the centre of the story and it would not change it.

How was it not a good Wonder Woman story? If we used that story and switched Diana out for Aquaman, he would have been killed very early on by Artemis, or affected by Strife, or handed off Zola to some guards to be "protected". He would most likely have killed that Minotaur himself. It wouldn't have later changed sides and learnt mercy and compassion and sacrifice. Hercules would never have been able to work with so many people, convince them to help his cause and follow him. Hercules was also beaten by the amazons already so he clearly isn't that capable. And LOL, are you really going to try and convince me that Cassie could have fought the First Born, lasted more than seconds, stab her own mentor, protected a baby and her mother, and bow down and beg her sibling or family member to let Zola live.

I think if you look at the story and analyse every decision that Diana made, she proved that only the true Wonder Woman could have done what she did. Take her mothers place as Queen of the amazons, lead an entire army in a war, convince several gods and outsmart others to help her, show the compassion she did. One of the most humble moments was when Diana put aside any pride she had and begged on her knees to her half sister to let Zola live and stay in existence. That moment was humbling.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hawk80

@klaus said:
    @hawk80 said:
    @klaus said:

Don't try to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed.

Azzarello fixed what didn't need to be fixed, obtaining complete garbage as a consequence. Finally we agree on something.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @klaus said:

How was it not a good Wonder Woman story? If we used that story and switched Diana out for Aquaman, he would have been killed very early on by Artemis, or affected by Strife, or handed off Zola to some guards to be "protected". He would most likely have killed that Minotaur himself. It wouldn't have later changed sides and learnt mercy and compassion and sacrifice. Hercules would never have been able to work with so many people, convince them to help his cause and follow him. Hercules was also beaten by the amazons already so he clearly isn't that capable. And LOL, are you really going to try and convince me that Cassie could have fought the First Born, lasted more than seconds, stab her own mentor, protected a baby and her mother, and bow down and beg her sibling or family member to let Zola live.

I think if you look at the story and analyse every decision that Diana made, she proved that only the true Wonder Woman could have done what she did. Take her mothers place as Queen of the amazons, lead an entire army in a war, convince several gods and outsmart others to help her, show the compassion she did. One of the most humble moments was when Diana put aside any pride she had and begged on her knees to her half sister to let Zola live and stay in existence. That moment was humbling.

That´s funny you say "True" WW when a lot of people don´t even think the character found in the pages of this story technically even is WW. Atleast as I´ve known her. You have a point about the rest of the stuff you said, but that´s on the presumption anyone even cares about this story. Aquaman was a lot better. His story, his villains, everything about 52 Aquaman is superior and better developed than ww, so in that sense maybe he wouldn´t fit in this story. Anyway, at least WW 52 improved toward the end, so it´s wasn´t total garbage.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.