Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

wonder woman's worlwide success?.

• 56 results
    gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gokuwarrior

yestardy i was in a comic store,and it seems that in other parts of the world,wonder woman doesn't get too much atention from comic readers,titles like batman,superman and green lantern sell much more than her.

is it because most comic readers aren't interested in female characters?or is it because she doesn't get as much promotion as some male characters like superman,batman and green lantrern?,even green lantrern is promoted with his own movie,video game,and wonder woman doesn't seem to get much promotion,just one comic for month,that makes me realize that marvel and dc don't sell their females right,they don't promote them,and even though that wonder woman is the most popula female,she doesn't seem to have a big fan base around the world,i think it's because DC doesn't promote her that much.

what do you think?.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Imagine_Man15

She definitely needs more exposure to the general public. I think most people just know the name and have an idea of what she looks like, they don't really know the character

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By moywar700

WW doesn't sell as well as her JL male members because she isn't as popular, the answers is very simple.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@moywar700 said:

WW doesn't sell as well as her JL male members because she isn't as popular, the answers is very simple.

this. plus there is the notion in most of the peoples minds that she is for girl readers.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gokuwarrior

@moywar700: that isn't the only reason,she could be much more popular if they gave her more promotion,we know she has a lot of potential,but she hasn't movies,and videos games,like other characters,so obiously she won't sell as much as them,she needs more promotion.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By moywar700

WW sells the least amount of books compared her JL members.

She makes a lot more money than aquaman or the flash because of merchandise.People know of green laturn but people still think he's the black laturn or the gay one.At least people don't get identities mixed up with wonder woman.Also green laturn film lost a lot of money for hollywood.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone knows Wonder Woman's name atleast, it's onpar with the others. However yeah exposure is needed, this was explored once in her comic to when she looked at her merchandise comapred to Batmans and Supermans then the clerk just said she jsut never sold as well.

Before I never really cared about her until I saw her in action and got interested. Her strongest asset is just her kick-buttness(And beign a girl) that a lot people don't seem to establish with her as much as Superman and Batman.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gokuwarrior

@moywar700:

Everyone knows Wonder Woman's name atleast, it's onpar with the others. However yeah exposure is needed, this was explored once in her comic to when she looked at her merchandise comapred to Batmans and Supermans then the clerk just said she jsut never sold as well.

Before I never really cared about her until I saw her in action and got interested. Her strongest asset is just her kick-buttness(And beign a girl) that a lot people don't seem to establish with her as much as Superman and Batman

the user "Wboy" has clarified the point,wonder woman doesn't sell as much as other characters because she isn't promoted as much as them,she needs more exposure,i hope she can get more of it in the new 52.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Wboy: that's my point,she has potential,but they don't promote her as much as other characters,they should give her a movie,an animated series,a video game,etc,after 71 years of career she should have all that,and give her more graphic novels,like batman and superman,she can sell more worlwide,they just have to promote her more.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By herrweis

She is ,without a doubt,the most popular female comic icon on the planet period.However,DC doesn't seem to care for her enough & the powers that be (you know who) like to tell us she doesn't sell or that people are not interested in her.We all know that's not true.her cartoon is the 4th best selling out of the dc animated universe series yet we were told she didn't sell "fast enough" and didn't warrent another movie even though she sold more than Green lantern(almost as much as both green lantern movies combined) .I'm not sure how popular she needs to be for DC to give her attention.I mean MAC cosmetics did a whole line based on her.and even a few fasion designers have based their lines off of her.That's pretty much makes her a pop culture icon as well as a comic icon.The world knows her .

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gokuwarrior

@herrweis: that is ironnic,because if she isn't popular enough to have more promotion it is because DC doesn't promote her enough in the first place;we say,how popular she needs to be for DC to promote her more?,and we don't know that answer,because DC doesn't promote her,so nobody knows if she can be more successful,DC don't know how profitable she can be,they don't know if she is profitable at all,because they don't promote her,so they can't know it,they can be missing a very good source of money and they don't even know it,probably because she's a woman,and they don't have the balls to do what it must be done,i can't think of another reason.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrimsonCake

Maybe someday she'll Have her own Live action movie and animated series,some day...

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gokuwarrior

@CrimsonCake: yea,because if people waited 71 years,they can wait anoter 71 years(saracastic),

it's sad to see that DC doesn't care about her.

telepathic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By telepathic666

Think of wonder woman like a fine wine, only certain people appreciate her.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gokuwarrior

@telepathic666:@telepathic666 said:

Think of wonder woman like a fine wine, only certain people appreciate her.

that is good and sad at the same time.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jhazzroucher

@gokuwarrior said:

@herrweis: that is ironnic,because if she isn't popular enough to have more promotion it is because DC doesn't promote her enough in the first place;we say,how popular she needs to be for DC to promote her more?,and we don't know that answer,because DC doesn't promote her,so nobody knows if she can be more successful,DC don't know how profitable she can be,they don't know if she is profitable at all,because they don't promote her,so they can't know it,they can be missing a very good source of money and they don't even know it,probably because she's a woman,and they don't have the balls to do what it must be done,i can't think of another reason.

DC exposed their female characters better than Marvel. WW is pretty popular in comics and having her own line of merchandises and especially that she's always shown to be with Supes and Batman. She lacks exposure on other forms of media. Storm not be focused by marvel and Catwoman may not have been focused as much as WW, but Storm have more number of appearances in comics and cartoon series than WW and both Storm and Catwoman have more number of appearances on films and video games than WW.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jhazzroucher: WW has more appearances in comics than storm,count again,WW has comic appearances since 1941.

for the rest it doesn't matter,i'm talking that giving WW movies,video games an animated series will make her comic sell even more,it's different with storm,she can't even sustain a comic on her own,so her case is even worse than WW's.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jhazzroucher
    @gokuwarrior said:

@jhazzroucher: WW has more appearances in comics than storm,count again,WW has comic appearances since 1941.

for the rest it doesn't matter,i'm talking that giving WW movies,video games an animated series will make her comic sell even more,it's different with storm,she can't even sustain a comic on her own,so her case is even worse than WW's.

I know WW 's first appearance was 1941 while Storm's first appearance was May 1975. But the more popular x-men characters would show up on multiple different x-books and other Marvel comics.

source: http://www.comicvine.com/characters/
    on this link: http://www.comicvine.com/characters/
     as of August 2012
    number of appearances in comics:
    Storm: 4,479
    WW: 3975

let's add the number of appearances in video games:  as of august 2012, last count
    WW: at least 11 games
    Storm: at least 39 games
    gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jhazzroucher: and this tells me what?.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jhazzroucher
    @gokuwarrior said:

that tells you the truth. : )
    gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jhazzroucher said:

@gokuwarrior said:

the truth about what?.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jhazzroucher
    @gokuwarrior said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@gokuwarrior said:

the truth about what?.

about proving that what I'm saying has a basis, that's why i provided you a link too.
    gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jhazzroucher: but what this has to do with the fact that DC needs to promote wonder woman more?.

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
    TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheVoiceOfReason

Her new 52 title is fantastic if more people would read it then i think she can get relatively popular.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jhazzroucher
    @gokuwarrior said:

@jhazzroucher: but what this has to do with the fact that DC needs to promote wonder woman more?.

I believe DC has given much promotion to WW than any other female comic character in comics but not as much as what they did to Superman and Batman because they're completely on a different level. 

Always putting her picture alongside Batman and Superman is definitely a good way to promote her.

I was pointing out that eventhough you claim her to be the most popular female comic character, she is not as popular as you think she is.
    gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jhazzroucher: first,she doesn't have as much promotion as she should have.

and second,she is the most popular female comic character.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jhazzroucher
    @gokuwarrior said:

@jhazzroucher: first,she doesn't have as much promotion as she should have.

and second,she is the most popular female comic character.

She is the most promoted female character in comics. 

in comics, she is the most popular female comic character , but not on films, not on cartoons and not on video games. 
    gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jhazzroucher: and that's why i said comic.

storm isn't the most popular female in videogames neither,that's lara croft aka tomb raider,and other characters like chun-li are also more popular in video games,because that is their main zone just like storm and WW's main zone is the comics,storm and wonder woman are just featured characters in most video games,and never have had a whole game on their own,they are matched at video games.

superman and batman aren't the most popular characters in video games and moivies neither.

storm isn't more popular in cartoons,she doesn't even has her own cartoon,she's been part of a team that has had cartoons,just like wonder woman in a lot of TV series,super friends,galactic guardians,justice league,justice league unlimited

the same with movies,storm is part of a team that had 3 movies,that's the only thing she has over WW.

but WW has her own animated movie,and her own live action series,so she is more popular in cartoon and live action series.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By The_Ghostshell

The New 52 is doing pretty much all they can to promote Wonder Woman (at least compared to recent years).

Her title as of July was ahead of every single female solo title and ahead of some big name male titles like Daredevil and 2 Captain America titles. Thats not bad. She's a major feature in the JLA series with two of the years most memorable splash pages. Add in her kiss with boy blue and the hint of the New Gods arriving in her own solo title I dont see how anyone could argue that DC isnt doing all they can (short of making her life action film debut) to catapult her right up alongside Batman and Superman. As opposed to just being pictured standing next to them. That sh!t dont cut it lol

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Gambler: but what about her impact worlwide?,is her new comic doing well on worlwide sales?,because it seems in other countries she doesn't sell much.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jhazzroucher

@gokuwarrior said:

@jhazzroucher: and that's why i said comic.

storm isn't the most popular female in videogames neither,that's lara croft aka tomb raider,and other characters like chun-li are also more popular in video games,because that is their main zone just like storm and WW's main zone is the comics,storm and wonder woman are just featured characters in most video games,and never have had a whole game on their own,they are matched at video games.

superman and batman aren't the most popular characters in video games and moivies neither.

storm isn't more popular in cartoons,she doesn't even has her own cartoon,she's been part of a team that has had cartoons,just like wonder woman in a lot of TV series,super friends,galactic guardians,justice league,justice league unlimited

the same with movies,storm is part of a team that had 3 movies,that's the only thing she has over WW.

but WW has her own animated movie,and her own live action series,so she is more popular in cartoon and live action series.

Storm may not be the most popular in video games for a comic book female character but she's close to it.

and Lara may have a video game of her own but Storm at least has the most number of appearances for a comicbook female character.

for comic-book based characters, yes they are, especially Batman and Spider-man.

Witchblade had her own cartoon series. does that mean she's more popular than Storm?

Still , movies is a good form of media for people around the world to know who they are.

Catwoman had better exposure than WW in movies definitely

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@gokuwarrior: I dont know anything about the Worldwide comicbook statistics for any comicbook let alone Wonder Woman's.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jhazzroucher: storm isn't the most popular comic female in videogames,she doesn't have a game on her own,just a featured character,like countless female characters in comics.

witchblade maybe not,wonder woman is more popular than storm in comic,they can be the same in cartoons,they almost have the same amount of appearances.

but WW also has a live action series,which is very popular and it's a classic,so she is more popular than storm on TV too.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Gambler: ok,i have an idea of her impact worlwide,in countries like argentina,her comic doesn't sell as much as batman,and green lantern,i think her worlwide sale can be better if they promote her more outside her title and JL,give her movies,videogames,and animated series.

by the way,what do you think about what "jhazzrouche" says?.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jhazzroucher

@gokuwarrior said:

@jhazzroucher: storm isn't the most popular comic female in videogames,she doesn't have a game on her own,just a featured character,like countless female characters in comics.

witchblade maybe not,wonder woman is more popular than storm in comic,they can be the same in cartoons,they almost have the same amount of appearances.

but WW also has a live action series,which is very popular and it's a classic,so she is more popular than storm on TV too.

Storm holds the title for the most number of appearances in video games for a female comicbook-based character. Lara has sold millions but where is she now?

Oh and Lara had her own movies too. Does that make her more popular than WW? Taken into consideration only that her movies and video games were done a long while ago. That's why i think Storm and Catwoman are doing better because their appearances are more recent.

if you'd say WW is the most popular female comic character, add "in comics only" and i would agree.

the x-men has more cartoon series than JL, aside from Storm showing up in spider-man and black panther cartoons. Storm had more appearances than WW in cartoon series.

Gibbet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gibbet

She's a niche

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jhazzroucher:

lara is now with a new game that will be out soon,still selling,still being the most popular female character in videogames,storm is not taking that title.

WW is more popular in TV than storm,WW appeared in brady kids,super friends,the super friends the legendary super powers show,in all the 8 different super friends shows,the galactic guardians,batman the brave and the bold,superman TV series,JL,JL unlimited,young justice,in animated movies,justice league:doom,crissis on two earths,new frontiers,superman/supergirl apokalips,her own animated movie,and her own live action series.

and In 2011, the cosmetics company MAC released a series of cosmetics, including lipstick with a Wonder Woman theme.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Zdaybreak

@jhazzroucher Wonder Woman's tiara is more iconic than Storm's tiara. Also, you and your constant storm agenda is starting to make me despise Orororo.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Hazlenaut

DC needs to step up their game. Many female characters have developed have made an impact. No one can remember big moment done by Wonder Woman’s villains. Everyone has difficulty remembering her secondary characters. They can make batman characters into greek tragedy but have done anything with Wonder Woman characters who are literally Greek tragedies.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Hazlenaut said:

DC needs to step up their game. Many female characters have developed have
    made an impact. No one can remember big
    moment done by Wonder Woman’s villains. Everyone has difficulty remembering her
    secondary characters. They can make
    batman characters into greek tragedy but have done anything with Wonder Woman characters
    who are literally Greek tragedies.

you are righ,and they also need to promote her more outside comics,movies,videogames,animated series,that's how a character can get more atention,and increase the comic sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should jsut make a huge epic game about her and promote it like Arkham Asylum. The easiest way to promote a girl character for guys to actually delve into is through gaming---as I see of course.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42  Edited By lorex

I think as many have said Wonder Woman has suffered from very inconsistent writing over the years. Not to mention a the lack of many quality adversaries or the fact that the history and back store has been tweaked, rewrittem and retconed so much most people have no idea what she has done or been doing. I do think the DC relaunch/reboot has benefited the Wonder Woman solo title. It has been well written and the art has been great as well. Potential future stumbeling blocks I forsee are that the Wonder Woman depicted in the solo title does not resemble the the Wonder Woman in Justice League very much interms of there attitude and tempermant. They need to make the 2 versions more similar and frankly the Justice League WW could stand to be more the the solo title WW and not the other way around. I do not see this happening as Justice League has the company heavyweights on the creative staff and creative people at that level having the egos they do I just can't see them taking much creative imput from the people on the WW solo title, no matter how good it is. Another problem I can see happening is so far in the solo title the adversaries have all been from Greek Mythology and thats fine but eventually that well will run dry and then what. I hope that upcoming arcs will look for challenges from the mortal plane for WW. Wonder Woman despirately needs a rival that challenges har and forces her to her limits and beyond. This is something she has sorely lacked over the years. As for raising her profile well I firmly believe that if the quality of the title is there than people will respond.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought the demographics are just stacked against her.

Dark_Magician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dark_Magician

Agree with everyone. People know her name and a general idea of what she looks like.... that is pretty much it. Every now and then I get an invisible jet but that is all. She needs to attract more people. She needs a MOVIE!

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gokuwarrior

@lorex said:

I think as many have said Wonder Woman has suffered from very inconsistent writing over the years. Not to mention a the lack of many quality adversaries or the fact that the history and back store has been tweaked, rewrittem and retconed so much most people have no idea what she has done or been doing. I do think the DC relaunch/reboot has benefited the Wonder Woman solo title. It has been well written and the art has been great as well. Potential future stumbeling blocks I forsee are that the Wonder Woman depicted in the solo title does not resemble the the Wonder Woman in Justice League very much interms of there attitude and tempermant. They need to make the 2 versions more similar and frankly the Justice League WW could stand to be more the the solo title WW and not the other way around. I do not see this happening as Justice League has the company heavyweights on the creative staff and creative people at that level having the egos they do I just can't see them taking much creative imput from the people on the WW solo title, no matter how good it is. Another problem I can see happening is so far in the solo title the adversaries have all been from Greek Mythology and thats fine but eventually that well will run dry and then what. I hope that upcoming arcs will look for challenges from the mortal plane for WW. Wonder Woman despirately needs a rival that challenges har and forces her to her limits and beyond. This is something she has sorely lacked over the years. As for raising her profile well I firmly believe that if the quality of the title is there than people will respond.

i think her biggest problems have been:inconsisten writing and lack of promotion outside her title

(like J comics,etc),and specially lack of promotion outside the comics,she needs video games,animated series,and movies,things like that will make her gain more appeal.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gokuwarrior

@drgnx said:

i think her biggest problems have been:inconsisten writing and lack of promotion outside her title(like JL comics,etc),and specially lack of promotion outside the comics,she needs video games,animated series,and movies,things like that will make her gain more appeal.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuwarrior said:

@drgnx said:

i think her biggest problems have been:inconsisten writing and lack of promotion outside her title(like JL comics,etc),and specially lack of promotion outside the comics,she needs video games,animated series,and movies,things like that will make her gain more appeal.

I'm certainly no marketing expert as my background is more Tech; but here is the way I see things (take this with a grain of salt).

First point, I don't see any real issues with WW writing, well not as you put it. I mean you could make her like Phoenix or even the Presence but Batman should should show you that its not about powers. From what I can tell, guys like wolverine and Ironman have changed heavily over the years and Thor is someone who is talked about as being inconstant but yet they still seem to sell. If it were just a matter of powers, then Superboy, Worlds Finest, Supergirl should all sell the same as Superman (I have not seen the numbers, but am assuming they don't).

Wonder Women has her fan base; Her, Batman, Superman and Spiderman were the first 4 heroes I ever knew about and were talked about a lot when I grew up until people started getting into lesser known characters and WW faded into the background, at least in terms of what my friends collected. So the problem I see is who is going to buy her stuff?

• Movie - I think most of those who would see Superman/Batman would see her movies
    • Toys - I don't see many girls buying action figures or boys wanting a female action figure, and I think this hurts them big
    • Merchandise (clothes, wallets, jewellery) - don't see many males wanting clothing related to female characters (like t-shirts with her picture) and besides a few Halloween costumes on girls and Women, I don't come across many ladies wearing comicbook merchandise, and I think this hurts them as well
    • Games - hard to tell, I could see her suffering from the same issues as Superman, it appears hard to make a quality game with a character who can fly and has your power-set - this is more with her character type than anything. I could see many characters with this issue, but I'm falling out of touch with games, I still have not opened my Arkham City or Soul Caliber 5 yet :(
    • Shows - Hard to tell, I was hoping for the last show to take off. If it was done like Smallville, people could be bored of it or like it - you never know; they cancel shows I think are great (stargate and FIREFLY) but keep ones I have no interest in, so no comment here
    • Comics - I really question how much they make here vs the other categories mentioned;The lanterns, the Bat-familiy and the Super-family, are a prime example of them willing to make more comics on a character/family if they thought they could sell more, but you see their toys all over the stores as well.
    • Other (coloring books, novels, taped stories, etc) I think for the most part this would be similar to the Toy Products

Other concerns -> can a movie, show, or Game even make people start buying comics in general? If they are already buying comics, then possibility (but I would assume most comic readers/collectors already know about her and what she is about), but if they are not already collection comic books, I'd say most likely no.

So to sum up: putting more games out their won't help if the games are not good, While movies & shows might help make the character more popular, it might not be enough to change peoples shopping habits or preferences in other product categories if there are reasons besides popularity for not buying the merchandise.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, its not something easy to summarize and my arms are putty from hitting the gym :/

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Aiden Cross

I dont think 90% of my country ever heard of Wonder Woman... >_>

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By gokuwarrior

@drgnx said:

@gokuwarrior said:

@drgnx said:

I'm certainly no marketing expert as my background is more Tech; but here is the way I see things (take this with a grain of salt).

First point, I don't see any real issues with WW writing, well not as you put it. I mean you could make her like Phoenix or even the Presence but Batman should should show you that its not about about powers. From what I can tell guys like wolverine and Ironman have changed heavily over the years and Thor is someone who is talked about as being inconstant but yet they still seem to sell. If were just a matter of powers, then Superboy, Worlds Finest, Supergirl should all sell the same as Superman (I have not seen the numbers).

Wonder Women has her fan base; Her, Batman, Superman and Spiderman were the first 4 heroes I ever knew about and were talked about a lot when I grew up until people started getting into lesser known characters and WW faded into the background, at least in terms of what my friends collected. So the problem I see is who is going to buy her stuff?

• Movie - I think most of those who would see Superman/Batman would see her movies
    • Toys - I don't see many girls buying action figures or boys wanting a female action figure, and I think this hurts them big
    • Merchandise (clothes, wallets, jewellery) - don't see many males wanting clothing related to female characters (like t-shirts with her picture) and besides a few Halloween costumes on girls and Women, I don't come across many ladies wearing comicbook merchandise, and I think this hurts them as well
    • Games - hard to tell, I could see her suffering from the same issues as Superman, it appears hard to make a quality game with a character who can fly and has your power-set - this more with her character type then anything I could see many characters with this issue, but I'm falling out of touch with games, I still have not opened my Arkham City or Soul Caliber 5 yet :(
    • Shows - Hard to tell, I was hoping for the last show to take off, if it was done like Smallville people could be bored of it or like it - you never know, they cancel shows I think are great (stargate and FIREFLY) but keep ones I have no interest in, so no comment here
    • Comics - I really question how much they make here vs the other categories mentioned, but the lanterns, the Bat-familiy and the Super-family, are a prime example of them willing to make more comics on a character/family if they thought the could sell more, but you see their toys all over the stores as well.
    • Other (coloring books, novels, taped stories, etc) I think for the most part is would be simular to the Toy Products

Other concerns is can a movie, show, or Game even make people start buying comics in general? If they are already buying comics, then possibility (but I would assume most comic readers/collectors already know about her and what she is about), but if they are not, I'd say most likely no.

So to sum up, putting more games out their won't help if the games are not good, While movies & shows might help make the character more popular, it might not be enough to change peoples shopping habits or preferences in other product categories if there are reasons besides popularity for not buying the merchandise.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, its not something easy to summarize and my arms are putty from hitting the gym

when i say that she needs to be consistently written,it's for peole to take her serously,many fans don't like inconsistencies

they don't need to make her a galaxy buster,they only have to writte her as what she is supposed to be;if she is a god like warrior,with god like strength,god like speed,durability,etc,able to fight at super speed,and tank super powered attacks,then don't let her be hurt by humans,tagged by humans.

and when i talk about promoting her outside the comics,it's because she needs to get more fame,batman and superman have more appeal outside comic readers thank to movies and videogames,she needs that too,and have an animated series can make her gain more fans if it's written well,remember that more people that never read her comic can get interested about her,if they like the animated series,it's a way to promote her comics,specially if they adapt the comic stories into the animated series,like it happens with manga,thanks to the animated version(anime)the manga gets more readers.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Aiden Cross said:

I dont think 90% of my country ever heard of Wonder Woman... >_>

where are you from?.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.