Wonder Woman's Costume

#151 Edited by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: This is based on the 1st run of Justice League New 52, in which WW discovers the WONDERS (LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist) of ice cream during her 1st time among the mortals... And talks like a barbarian... Some here liked it...

#152 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: This is based on the 1st run of Justice League New 52, in which WW discovers the WONDERS (LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist) of ice cream during her 1st time among the mortals... And talks like a barbarian... Some here liked it...

?

#153 Posted by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@rayray1127 said:

?

You asked about the ice cream......

#154 Posted by War Killer (20138 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace20xd6 said:

Don't forget her outfit in the new cartoon movie, Justice League War.

I like it. I actually like it more than the one she's currently wearing in the comics.

#155 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Why do you like it more? I like it more because of the ponytail, seems practical for a fighter with long hair to have.

#157 Posted by donnafan (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh! The War costume is horrid. While I think it’s OK for heroes to wear alternative outfits, Spiderman’s black outfit, for instance, these recent versions of the WW costume post Nu52 have taken away some of the beautiful iconic elements of the original to a point where the character is virtually unrecognizable. When I showed the War costume to my husband, who doesn’t read the comic, he looked at the image and said: “Who is that?”

Wonder Woman is a character that is so iconic and arguably the most recognizable female super hero of all time. Yet lately, we are presented with images that don’t even resemble the character I fell in love with as a child.

I feel like these recent designs have really lost that iconic element to the character. How is the blue and white more visually appealing than the gold? Look at the recent anime version side-by-side with the Jim Lee redesign and tell me which one jumps out at you. The muted tones and darker pallet of these redesigns just fade into the background.

It’s really quite sad that with all of these recent redesigns, the character almost seems to be struggling to find an identity. More so than any of the recent redesigns; take Superman’s redesign, for instance. There’s a new collar and the red shorts are gone, but the second you see the costume, you recognize the character as being Superman. Same thing for Batman; make the costume more armor-like and take away the blue shorts, but you can still instantly recognize the character. The same cannot be said for Wonder Woman.

The sad part for me is because I love this character so much; she means something to me. She’s an inspiration and an ideal of strength, resolve and how we can be better than ourselves by trying. I’m not alone in feeling this way, either. Take, for instance, how the character has been used as an image of feminism. Why is this so important? Because the character is a part of Americana, a pop-culture phenomenon and has become a symbol to so many people, not just for those of us that are inspired by reading the comic. Wonder Woman has a broader appeal.

I’m not ashamed to say that I’m in love with the original design and some of the later versions that feature the gold. It seems like if you say that on these threads you are asking for an attack. Why not bring back some gold into the costume, or get rid of that horrible anorexic ww/bird-like symbol on her chest and replace it with an eagle symbol? Maybe incorporates the WW somehow? It’s really a shame to me that we are not presented with an image that we can instantly recognize as Wonder Woman as we are with Superman, Batman, or the majority of the redesigns (JL). I feel like lately, I’m mourning the loss of my beloved character instead of seeing a beautiful, contemporary version of the iconic Wonder Woman that I grew to love so many years ago.

#158 Edited by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I always envision a "change" to Wonder Woman's costume would mix modern super-hero with ancient warrior... I just think that makes so much sense for the character! Something a little like...

this!

(apologize for the distortion, this is a TERRIBLE pic taken with my ipod... lol!)

#159 Posted by donnafan (3 posts) - - Show Bio

RayRay1127 - That is a gorgeous interpretation! I love it! This design incorporates two things that I've always loved: the eagle on the chest plate and the battle skirt. I don't mind the tiara and the belt being silver/white as long as the eagle is gold. I just think that the gold pops against the red so much better than the white. And the gold trim around the silver bracelets, belt and tiara are a nice touch. Jim Lee, please take note!

#160 Posted by GWHH (573 posts) - - Show Bio

Awful story line. But for some reason I like the outfit!

#161 Posted by War Killer (20138 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace20xd6 said:

@war_killer: Why do you like it more? I like it more because of the ponytail, seems practical for a fighter with long hair to have.

It's less revealing, Wonder Woman is attractive no matter what she's wearing, so the idea that DC thinks that she needs to show more skin just isn't appealing to me. That's really my main reason for liking it over her current New 52 suit, but I also think it just looks cooler as well.

#162 Posted by GWHH (573 posts) - - Show Bio

I like when she has some real "steel" in her outfit not just fabric (not including the bracelets). I think a warrior would always want a little close to her. Even if its just for defensive purposes.

#163 Posted by MPfly88 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg people are STILL complaining about how much skin she shows?

Stop.

That's it, plain and simple. Just stop. Unless you come up with irrefutable evidence that it's damaging to the character, and not just something that's your personal taste, then just leave it alone. Wonder Woman has been having one of the best runs she's had in a while. Give it a rest already.

#164 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

#165 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice article, very very nice!

I would personally prefer if she was more dressed (but I say that about every female character in comic books), but I don't see it as a major problem.

THanks for the explaination about the 80s reboot. I didn't know that, it was majorly interesting.

#166 Posted by JuliusTakalua (270 posts) - - Show Bio

She should wear a Pteruges with an armored costume... like this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-b3QLkXJ8Qjw/TYfFksM6Z9I/AAAAAAAAAus/VWgvlJdCItk/s1600/wonder_woman_new.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/a293f1cc2d594a69f1df566f4846fa7f/tumblr_msl0fsQEKD1r6zwtho1_500.png

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/115/8/1/wonder_woman_redesign_for_new_52_by_irongiant775-d4xl468.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZKaFRZK.png

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs42/i/2009/116/9/1/MINARHO1__s_Wonder_Women_by_duskflare.jpg

If they do make a movie, they should use these designs. Pteruges and armored costume>>>>slutty 1970s one (not that i'm complaining)

#167 Posted by JuliusTakalua (270 posts) - - Show Bio

@tanet62 said:

perfect WW for me!

Where did you get that? seems like a perfect WW too! hot, looks smart, goot attire, but is she a good actress?

#168 Edited by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of the best fully clothed Wonder Woman outfits I've seen; it looks like Greek armor, it still keeps most of her color scheme, and she's still recognizable as Wonder Woman.

This is a better view of her outfit though.

#169 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

#170 Posted by The_Flaxen_Fury (27 posts) - - Show Bio
#171 Posted by JordanIsntSuper (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Love this look.

Me too. I wish she would always wear something like this. I just can't take someone who walks around in their underwear seriously. Especially a super hero.

#172 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

#173 Edited by DarthKellie (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like her to stay to her Amazon roots and wear an outfit more fitting to her place of origin.

#174 Posted by WonderWomanFan8 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh...When it comes to Wonder Woman, some say that the only way for her to be taken seriously as a female heroine would be to cover her up. The outfit changes IMO have been both good and bad for her. If the changes are too drastic, people won't recognize her, but if they're slight changes and still maintain her signature colors in a warrior's attire, that would be great.

I find it strange that a lot of people don't like the "bathing suit" outfit, however it's the most recognizable, signature outfit for her. I don't mind the silver coloring scheme on her new outfit, but I would like the gold colors to return at some point. I just LOVE how the gold and red go with each other, with the blue. For her outfit, I don't think black really does her any justice, it should go back to the navy blue. I'd like her breastplate to have a "W" going across her chest with an eagle or star shape at the center.

If she can't wear the spangled tights, give her some navy blue shorts with stars, OR you can give her that wavy, layered warrior skirt that some have posted great examples of. Getting a good costume for Wonder Woman isn't impossible, you just need some good designers and some creativity. Should be able to please both old and new fans alike.

#175 Edited by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving this look! Get rid of the 5 pointed stars in favor of a sun or 8 pointed star, get rid of ANY stars below the waist, and change the bottoms to a very dark blue battle skirt and VOILA!!!

#176 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (727 posts) - - Show Bio

I always envision a "change" to Wonder Woman's costume would mix modern super-hero with ancient warrior... I just think that makes so much sense for the character! Something a little like...

this!

(apologize for the distortion, this is a TERRIBLE pic taken with my ipod... lol!)

I always like your ideas Ray Ray, I just made a Deviant art account so maybe you'll like mine. Happy Holidays man.

#177 Posted by SayaOtonashi (198 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is people forget Marston wanted to be a bit more sensual characters and that shows but a balance would be the amazons made much more material armor that still works armor. Instead of having her costume rid let it be nearly impossible to and the back has well. The eagle or 2 w holds coverage every wear. Her face is not protect her legs by her boots

#178 Posted by SayaOtonashi (198 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is people forget Marston wanted to be a bit more sensual characters and that shows but a balance would be the amazons made much more material armor that still works armor. Instead of having her costume rid let it be nearly impossible to and the back has well. The eagle or 2 w holds coverage every wear. Her face is not protect her legs by her boots

#179 Posted by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I always like your ideas Ray Ray, I just made a Deviant art account so maybe you'll like mine. Happy Holidays man.

Thanks a lot, man! And I'd love to put you on my watch list! :) Just let me know what your profile name is.

#180 Edited by SayaOtonashi (198 posts) - - Show Bio

But... why??? Diana has no need to protect her legs and comes from a place where the people dress skimpy... She has no shame in her body, and again, she doesn't need the protection, so why should she wear pants? It seems to me that she'd just be conforming to look like almost every other super-hero. IMO, there ARE looks that work for Di using pants, but not anything that's been published. The JMS outfit's pants were black leather and NO, and the early Nu52 ones were just hideous. But regardless, I sincerely want to know what makes pants for WW so great?

Is the best aurgement I have heard but what of the male superheroes.

#181 Posted by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

But... why??? Diana has no need to protect her legs and comes from a place where the people dress skimpy... She has no shame in her body, and again, she doesn't need the protection, so why should she wear pants? It seems to me that she'd just be conforming to look like almost every other super-hero. IMO, there ARE looks that work for Di using pants, but not anything that's been published. The JMS outfit's pants were black leather and NO, and the early Nu52 ones were just hideous. But regardless, I sincerely want to know what makes pants for WW so great?

Is the best aurgement I have heard but what of the male superheroes.

This is almost the EXACT argument I made over on the CBR boards! It makes so little sense that there are those saying "GRR, She should wear pants cause the boys do, GRR!" That's such a goofy argument to me...

#182 Edited by jacobdextercoffey (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that the idea of her wearing armor will make it more Amazonian related. More like a protector and less like a hero. I think that's their aim with this line of Man of Steel and WW and Bats. More of a protectors of the human race feel.

#183 Posted by ItsDaveyJ (196 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like her in a skirt simply because she will frequently be flying... Panty shots all around? And while I don't mind the one-piece in comics.... I don't think it would work in this era of live-action superhero movies. Especially with the tone set in Man of Steel. She needs pants. Or come up with an interesting way to make her wear a skirt while not flashing panties like the design above. Or maybe some sort of skirt over tights combination.

In terms of aesthics I would prefer a more traditional WW (minus the stars on her underwear) for any Justice League type films. In her own solo films I would love her to have a more armored appearance with Greek influences.

#184 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (592 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this costume:

I like the pants but not the jacket.

#185 Posted by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

This'd be cool to see gal Gadot in, maybe. Just doodling around and came up with this...

#186 Posted by TifaLockhart (14044 posts) - - Show Bio

Her New 52 outfit is soooo pretty on her! I wish she was real so I could give her a hug.

#187 Posted by SayaOtonashi (198 posts) - - Show Bio

When thinking about her costume I realized something because the amazons are very athletic, wouldn't they wonder what Female Athletes wear the outside wear? Many Female Athletes wear briefs and shorts. So why no model the shorts or briefs.

#188 Posted by JRemy (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello all, I'm gonna jump right into this with I think her current uniform is great but a variation with the greek skirt could work.

#189 Posted by SayaOtonashi (198 posts) - - Show Bio

How do u feel about the costume ? I mean Originally it was to make a statement of female empowerment but right now should that ended? Could her swimsuit or strapless work as her a warrior? Than again her costume was an expression of femininity and power but she can be it in pants . I feel she can look like a warrior in any design

#190 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (592 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about how the costume was explained in the animated feature and it got me thinking. What is Wonder Woman had a different costume for every country she visits. Or her costume could just magically change.

#191 Posted by SayaOtonashi (198 posts) - - Show Bio

How about an Amazonian flag I mean her costume is the same for Aphrodite and Athena. The eagle is also a symbol for Athena.

#192 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

this look awesome

#193 Posted by UsagiTsukino (246 posts) - - Show Bio

It does. I feel since Athena's symbol(golden eagle) and Aphrodite's colors mixed together could make it the amazon's flag and just give her 6 point star.

#194 Edited by Russcovito (117 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf said:
Notice the change in Wonder Woman's lower half of attire
Original New design prior to the update above

And Ollie's stach

#195 Posted by WonderWomanFan8 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

^^^^I actually like that lower picture, but the longer I look at it, the more unhappy I become with Diana's attire. Here, she blends in far too much. I know she's a part of the team, but her wearing those dark, black pants and boots makes her look like "just one of the guys" there. It's too masculine.

Diana's costume wasn't designed to be realistic, or practical. Artists shouldn't be afraid to display her femininity.

#196 Posted by SayaOtonashi (198 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should give back her shorts. It works.

#197 Posted by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf said:

Notice the change in Wonder Woman's lower half of attire
Original New design prior to the update above

See, I've personally always thought that bottom pic was HORRIBLE... The black leather pants/boots blend does NOT work for Wonder Woman... Maybe for Azz's "dark" and "gritty" Image/Elseworlds-like Wonder Woman, but not any Wonder Woman I wanna look at!!!

#198 Posted by SayaOtonashi (198 posts) - - Show Bio

@rayray1127: Ray is it okay to use your costume designs for a story I'm doing

#199 Posted by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@rayray1127: Ray is it okay to use your costume designs for a story I'm doing

Absolutely! And I want to see it when you're all done!

#200 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.