Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman's City

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Writers talk all the time about the character of Gotham City and to a lesser extent Metropolis. So how would you define a city for Wonder Woman? What character would it have? What would be there? Who would be there? Why would Wonder Woman be there?

And if it's okay with everyone I think we should just assume her city will be Gateway City if she gets one

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jphulk26

I think it should be Gate Way City as well. I would base it after Washington DC and make it the city of high corruption, politics and where Argus (DC universes CIA for metahumans) are based.

I think it should also be a city of diversity and mix where people from all over the world settle, so that the idea would be that it is literally a GATE WAY to the modern world. I haven´t been able to figure out what the tone of it should be, but I figure like Superman she is a superhero of the DAYTIME.

I would have Vennessa Cale as a southerner who is now a politician, a professor and one of the most brilliant but machivellian and manipulative politicians in the DC universe,who hates Wonder Woman and uses all her connections and powers to undermine her and Themyscira as being fundementally unamerican. However their is some respect between Cale and Wonder Woman because both realise they are women who are trying to be the best they can be in a mans world and everyonce in a while you´ll get a compliment or vote of confidence from one to the other or even become fleeting allies to face a greater evils or Masculine prejudice.

I think Themyscira House should be the centrepiece of the city much like The Daily Planet. It will be the official Embassy of Paradise Island and will be located near several UN buildings and will be the office where Wonder Woman and her supporting cast work. The other major building will be Argus, where Steve Trevor and Etta Candy work under Venessa Cale, but they constantly find themselves having to negotiate between her orders and their friendship with Wonder Woman. Like Veness would say "The fact she´s a woman is the only thing I trust about her. It means unlike the powerful men who run this town, she must at least be partially compitent."

I´m not an artist, so it´s hard to think of the aesthetic, but I guess Metropolis is the city of te future and Gotham is very Gothic and dark, like an underworld, so I would try and make Gate Way very, very modern.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By goonage

@awesomehobos said:

And if it's okay with everyone I think we should just assume her city will be Gateway City if she gets one

The problem with giving Wonder Woman a city is that it tends to reflect the characters personality, like Gotham and Batman. Unfortunately Wondy has no "set" personality and her traits change according to the writer, so it would be really hard to tailor one around her.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JestersJoker

If I was writing the Wonder Woman story I would make Miami, FL her home base.

Tropical atmosphere.

beautiful beaches.

Close to the Everglades.

Close to the Bemuda Triangle.

To me it is as close to Paradise Island as you can get.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goonage said:
    @awesomehobos said:

The problem with giving Wonder Woman a city is that it tends to reflect the characters personality, like Gotham and Batman. Unfortunately Wondy has no "set" personality and her traits change according to the writer, so it would be really hard to tailor one around her.

I think she does have a strong identity as an Ambassador and as a true alien to Mans World, which is why I think Gateway city is actually a very clever name for her city. It is her Gate Way into experiencing the world of man, and what in this world represents male dominance more than politics? This is why I think it should primarily be like Washington DC, a city of politics, ruthlessness, betrayal, intrigue and frequent corruption.

I think pre-new 52 wonder woman always had a set character-traits, that were very always in conflict with certain aspects of our world. She was an extrodinarily beautiful, gracious and kind woman, who happened to be extrodinarily powerful both physically and mentally. She was everything women are told they are not in our society. So her landing ad having to operate in a world dominated by men, as is the case with politics, makes a lot of sense to me.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I guess in the DCnU London is more or less her city

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.