Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman To Get CW Television Series

• 182 results
    moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By moywar700

Will the show get the smallville theme song theme song too?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambler said:

I mean in the sense that the producers didnt worry about setting Xena in some modernized age theme in which she's a 16 year old school chick or 24 year old reporter who is actually a warrior princesses adapting to the modern World. That sh!t is ridiculous and exactly why the last WW pitch didnt even get past the initial pilot. The article says its going to focus on Wonder Woman's amazonian origin which is a promising sign. Just let Wonder Woman be Wonder Woman and forget all the adaptation nonsense that killed the last attempt.

I don't know, I think the fact that it will be on the CW is the biggest issue i'm having with it. I have no faith in a live action series that will be produced for their network. I just always felt like their live action series were incredibly cheesy. I loved  Xena but one can only hope Wonder Woman is as good. They are somewhat similar in character but I think where her powers come in is where it will get ridiculous. Hopefully they focus more on her martial arts ability then her speed or strength or lasso. 
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Vance Astro said:

@Gambler said:

I mean in the sense that the producers didnt worry about setting Xena in some modernized age theme in which she's a 16 year old school chick or 24 year old reporter who is actually a warrior princesses adapting to the modern World. That sh!t is ridiculous and exactly why the last WW pitch didnt even get past the initial pilot. The article says its going to focus on Wonder Woman's amazonian origin which is a promising sign. Just let Wonder Woman be Wonder Woman and forget all the adaptation nonsense that killed the last attempt.

I don't know, I think the fact that it will be on the CW is the biggest issue i'm having with it. I have no faith in a live action series that will be produced for their network. I just always felt like their live action series were incredibly cheesy. I loved Xena but one can only hope Wonder Woman is as good. They are somewhat similar in character but I think where her powers come in is where it will get ridiculous. Hopefully they focus more on her martial arts ability then her speed or strength or lasso.

I'm sure it will be full of cheese, even Xena had its moments. But I personally liked Smallville for the most part, and the Green Arrow CW previews look pretty badass so I'm keeping the faith for now. I do agree with you and hope they play up her martial arts abilities. Depending on which powers they decide to incorporate (I dont need to see her talking to animals and trees and sh!t)

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambler said:

I'm sure it will be full of cheese, even Xena had its moments. But I personally liked Smallville for the most part, and the Green Arrow CW previews look pretty badass so I'm keeping the faith for now. I do agree with you and hope they play up her martial arts abilities. Depending on which powers they decide to incorporate (I dont need to see her talking to animals and trees and sh!t)

How did you feel about the Wonder Woman animated movie that was released a while back? Did you see it?
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#105  Edited By Mercy_

qlk;j;lkjlskjdf;laskjdf;laslkdf

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By maxicere

Movie, please

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Vance Astro said:

How did you feel about the Wonder Woman animated movie that was released a while back? Did you see it?

Overall I thought it was pretty good. It starts off badass. Its when she comes to "mans world" for lack of a better term that it gets cheesy. I hate the fish outta water routine. Picking up the entire desk to retrieve a pencil, all wide eyed and alien to basic things that even as an outsider you would be able to figure out without making a scene.

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By kingofpeanuts

As someone who doesn't watch TV(Though I do have satellite TV) and hasn't watch any TV shows in a year. What is CW is it a company or a channel? Is this going to be a cartoon or live action?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambler said:

@Vance Astro said:

Overall I thought it was pretty good. It starts off badass. Its when she comes to "mans world" for lack of a better term that it gets cheesy. I hate the fish outta water routine. Picking up the entire desk to retrieve a pencil, all wide eyed and alien to basic things that even as an outsider you would be able to figure out without making a scene.

Oh, ok. I understand what you mean about the fish out of water thing, because other than that I have no issue with the film. As a fan of Wonder Woman I felt it did the character justice. I hope this supposed live-action series if nothing else brings more attention to Wonder Woman's comics.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@kingofpeanuts said:

As someone who doesn't watch TV(Though I do have satellite TV) and hasn't watch any TV shows in a year. What is CW is it a company or a channel? Is this going to be a cartoon or live action?

The CW

@Vance Astro said:

@Gambler said:

@Vance Astro said:

Oh, ok. I understand what you mean about the fish out of water thing, because other than that I have no issue with the film. As a fan of Wonder Woman I felt it did the character justice. I hope this supposed live-action series if nothing else brings more attention to Wonder Woman's comics.

Yeah dont get me wrong, it was everything a Wonder Woman animated movie should be. It did her justice. I'm just not a fan of "first time to the normal World Diana."

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#111  Edited By lorex

I am hopeful that the some of the creative people on this project have experience in comics. Now I really hope that they actually select an actress that can look the part and has an imposing physical presence. By imposing I do not just mean someone that is physically attractive but someone that looks like they can pull of the physical action a Wonder Woman show would likely include.

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By VioletPhoenix

I wish it wasn't on the CW, its become a frivolous network, it was amazing as the WB but now it panders to tweens, teens and what's 'hot', its somewhat shelved quality. WW deserves more than the CW treatment.

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By SadiaVicious

No.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By ARMIV2

I'd give it a shot and I'd hope for it to be good. Wonder Woman deserves that much.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By sethysquare

omg yes yes yes

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By sethysquare

I can already imagine this. Diana secretly came to earth to work or live in high school. She got to know her true identity as the daughter of zeus then starts battling gods like in the ww current series. She doesnt have bracelet or tiara and dresses in red white and blue. But she uses brute strength and a special dagger to hunt greek gods, demons and ghost and anything supernatural. Basically it should be done Supernatural style.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#117  Edited By Nerd Of A Hero

meh =/

DeusVult

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By DeusVult

This will never work!!! Its bound to flop!!! I mean is their one person who can honestly tell me that Wonder Woman is their all time favourite character?!

GemanchaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By GemanchaG

nooooooooooooo show better is movie

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Adnan

Considering that WB is already going for a JL movie to be released at some point after Man of Steel, we're not gonna get a WW movie before the JL movie. With that in mind, a TV series is the next best thing, from their p.o.v. they could have because they really do need more audience-awareness of the character. If they introduce the character here, atleast somewhat, they won't have to waste too much time introducing her in the JL movie (which is good because her origin is wildly different to everyone elses and it wouldn't 'fit' imo)

If it does well and people like her in the movie she can get a solo movie later.

AllyCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By AllyCat

@DeusVult said:

This will never work!!! Its bound to flop!!! I mean is their one person who can honestly tell me that Wonder Woman is their all time favourite character?!

There is - Wonder Woman is definitely one of my all-time favourite characters EVER! I'm hoping beyond hope that they get this right. Maybe they should give Adrianne Palicki another crack at it; the failed pilot had it's faults, but credit where it's due, she wasn't one of them...

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ips

no.

if you remove everything about Wonder Woman that makes her Wonder Woman, it isn't Wonder Woman anymore.

Smallville was successful to a new audience. fans of Superman were alienated by the series largely and stayed away until later in the series when it finally started to line up the character to what he was supposed to be. Wonder Woman would work the same way... her fans would be absent and if the show worked on some level that new audience would keep it alive until it became something resembling enough of Wonder Woman for anyone else to watch it.

there's no reason they can't stick to the mythos established -- it's already been done since she's had her own series before. they simply need to start with that and flesh it out from there.

create the series origin with WWII and Hippolyta as Wonder Woman in the first couple episodes telling a story to Diana or something. establish her legacy. then crash Steve on the island and bring Diana to man's world. go deeper into her mythological roots and adversaries -- treat this like Buffy or Supernatural. modernize her career to update her and make her relatable to our audience and that's it. done.

what this character does not need is another Alley McBeal treatment like the last attempt and turning the show into a teen drama like the OC etc is just going to anger the built in fanbase.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123  Edited By SupBatz

Not a big fan of CW shows in general. I often like the premises but not the way they're carried out. I'll still watch of course. But I'll miss the bracelets a lot :/

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By MonsterStomp

@thespidey307: Agreed lol

Mahzian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Mahzian

Zzzzzz why are WB so afraid of showing their heroes as the heroes they are in the comics? You don't need to bury your characters in mundane circumstances to make them relevant to modern audiences, Marvel's recent rash of movies has proven that. I really want to see an awesome no holds barred Wonder Woman tv series with bright costumes and super powers :S

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#126  Edited By fables87

I don't get CW, but I would watch it if it was kinda like Smallville. If this does happen let just hope it better then that "other" show they were going to make.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

Here is my suggestion for the opening scene : two geeks discussing superheroes and one of them explains why female heroes suck because they can't by definition be cool.

Cue giant rampaging monster about to chernobylize a terrified young child frozen in terror, but the charging beast is stopped cold at the very last moment by Wonder Woman fighting it with lasso and sword in hand.

The intro ends with the monster looking like it fell into a blender, the guys covered in gore watching with open mouth while WW high fives the unharmed child.

After that you can have her moments of teen angst, love stories and drama, as long as you do show her potential as a true hero.

wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By wdchefdave

If they try the ol' "High School Student With Secret Powers" trick...

Just call it "Wonder Girl" and kiss away any chance at an adult audience.

Blizaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#129  Edited By Blizaga101

Only if they base it primarily in themiscyra during the first season concentrating on the mythology of wonder women then end of season introduce Trevor and connect her to the dc world. This is where it went all wrong with the pilot viewers were instantly told this is wonder women accept it, where I wanna see Diana develop into wonderwoman by traing and learning and eventually becoming a hero. I feel the animated film would be very influential for the first season if it comes about.

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#130  Edited By Iron Fist Angel

I love almost all things superhero-related, but this doesn't really interest me much. I couldn't see myself watching it.

TomHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By TomHunter

I am looking forward to this. IF it goes past 'pilot'. CW did a nice job with SMALLVILLE and ARROW looks like it may be pretty good, as well. So I am hopeful.

There is no reason that it can't be done right. My guess is that the problem with the Kelly version was it was probably far too heavy on his political stuff. Like his last two season of BOSTON LEGAL that made it less enjoyable towards the end.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Eh...I don't know. I wasn't exactly a fan of the "Smallville formula" when treating the Man of Steel and it seems that CW is more or less doing the same thing with Arrow come next month. I just don't like the idea of characters being tampered with for live shows otherwise it becomes a chore for me to attempt at watching. Remember all, CW was the child of WB that attempted the Aquaman series which fell flat, and originally intended for Smallville to be a young Bruce Wayne story. Would be feeling better if another network tried this without David Kelley's over the top Heroes centered focus. But I am willing to be proven wrong too...

mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By mfundo

Yeah why not? The girl deserves her own TV series.

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By 00 Raiser

Hopefully we get something a bit similar to Xena Warrior Princess. The first attempt at a new Wonder Woman was ridiculously stupid!

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By sethysquare

@ips said:

no.

if you remove everything about Wonder Woman that makes her Wonder Woman, it isn't Wonder Woman anymore.

Smallville was successful to a new audience. fans of Superman were alienated by the series largely and stayed away until later in the series when it finally started to line up the character to what he was supposed to be. Wonder Woman would work the same way... her fans would be absent and if the show worked on some level that new audience would keep it alive until it became something resembling enough of Wonder Woman for anyone else to watch it.

there's no reason they can't stick to the mythos established -- it's already been done since she's had her own series before. they simply need to start with that and flesh it out from there.

create the series origin with WWII and Hippolyta as Wonder Woman in the first couple episodes telling a story to Diana or something. establish her legacy. then crash Steve on the island and bring Diana to man's world. go deeper into her mythological roots and adversaries -- treat this like Buffy or Supernatural. modernize her career to update her and make her relatable to our audience and that's it. done.

what this character does not need is another Alley McBeal treatment like the last attempt and turning the show into a teen drama like the OC etc is just going to anger the built in fanbase.

Who says they are removing everything about Wonder Woman?

Also, Hippolyta was never Wonder Woman.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By ips

@sethysquare: if you read the article it says...

The big difference here is that the CW wants to keep the bracelets, crown and Princess stuff out of the story. Question is, could this actually work?

Also, Hippolyta was the Golden Age WonderWoman.

Alton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Alton

@Kairan1979 said:

They need at least five years so we can forget the horrible Wonder Woman pilot.

The real problem with the pilot and any future adaptation is that WW is a silly and outdated concept that needed to be put away permanently years ago. Enough with the misguided advocacy for this character and let's move on to something worth producing.Anything but WW.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By sethysquare

@ips said:

@sethysquare: if you read the article it says...

The big difference here is that the CW wants to keep the bracelets, crown and Princess stuff out of the story. Question is, could this actually work?

Also, Hippolyta was the Golden Age WonderWoman.

1. Yeah, so what she loses the bracelets and the crown. It doesn't mean she loses everything. Smallville ran for 10 seasons. If they followed a similar formula, but go straight to the point like how they're doing with arrow, this could easily last 5 season. It doesn't mean they're removing everything from the equation.

2. She only briefly assumed the role as wonder woman in a few issues. She was never Wonder Woman. Thats like making Azaral, Batman before Bruce Wayne was Batman. Diana is the first person who took up the role of Wonder Woman and should always stay that way

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By sethysquare

@Alton said:

@Kairan1979 said:

They need at least five years so we can forget the horrible Wonder Woman pilot.

The real problem with the pilot and any future adaptation is that WW is a silly and outdated concept that needed to be put away permanently years ago. Enough with the misguided advocacy for this character and let's move on to something worth producing.Anything but WW.

Thats like saying Superman is a silly and outdated concept.

Wonder Woman is DC's biggest female icon and 3rd most iconic character. Iconic means they can stand the test of time.

What an ignorant statement.

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#140  Edited By yo_yo_fun

I would definitely watch it! I just hope they do it RIGHT. (Please do it right!)

But I have my doubts, the CW isn't the greatest channel and Smallville wasn't the greatest show either....10 seasons was WAY too long for Clark to become Superman. It kinda felt like it dragged a little so I hope that isn't the case for WW.

Jonny_Rogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#141  Edited By Jonny_Rogers

I only ever see this working if it relates to her proposed appearance in Man of Steel. If DC truly are committing themselves to building a cinematic universe (based on themes and concepts outlined in the Man of Steel), treating this as a separate property would seem like a waste of an opportunity. 
    Having said that... my opinions are always made redundant from the UK/America's insistence to air American TV years after, if ever, on British TV. 

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By lightsout
    They believe that a focus on the young Amazon warrior before the days when she met and fell in love with Steve Trevor or joined the Justice League, might make an interesting television show. The big difference here is that the CW wants to keep the bracelets, crown and Princess stuff out of the story.

Aaaaaaaand, I'm not tuning in. Glad I could be saved the time though.

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#143  Edited By dewboy01

yeah, seriously.

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#144  Edited By GeekyEverAfter

I would love for Wonder Woman To have a T.V show and Movie (she deserves it)!

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#145  Edited By Mbecks14

Won't go anywhere. Just give us a MOVIE!!!!

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#146  Edited By RedOwl_1

I don't know...

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By nerdork

I think a TV show could work. If it is anything like the garbage they tried to come out with already, then any other Wonder Woman projects, like a feature length film, will be set aside for a long time. IMO, Wonder Woman is too extravagant a story to be isolated to a TV budget. She needs a movie!!!!!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#148  Edited By TDK_1997

Is this serious this time?

Ama_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Ama_Sama

Wait. So, is this going to take place in Themyscira, Man's World, or a kind of combination of the two? If it's some combo of the two places, then this could easily turn into a mash-up between Xena, Boy [*cough, cough* girl] Meets World, and Rookie Blue... Which could be either a horrific bit of television history we'll all want to burn out of our minds at the demise of season one or a an oddly fantastic 10-season show to rival Smallville. Hm... and to think this could be just another rumor to die on the table before it hits paper.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#150  Edited By joshmightbe

They never say they're not going to show her as a hero just that she wouldn't be a seasoned hero. Basically they want to show her learning how to be a hero in a world she's not used to. Besides that it is very rare for a show to actually make it to air with the same concept as when it was thought up. Just go look up some of the original pitches for things people loved when they came out that are barely even similar to the final product. In the original idea for Toy Story, Woody was a borderline psychotic villain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.