Wonder Woman: The Animated Movie

• 109 results
#1 Edited by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I'm a few years late to the party on this one, but I didn't see a thread for it.

I've never really considered myself a fan of the character or read all that much of her series (I'm just getting started with her new 52 book), but I must admit, her animated movie was very impressive. Funny, engaging, and more than enough action to keep me entertained. I won't lie, this film definitely motivated me to focus catching up on her title, too.

Who else has watched it and what are your thoughts? And to the Wonder Woman experts, did you have any major complaints about the film or was it (for the most part) accurate?

Staff
#2 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

I know and are big Wonder Woman fans, so I'm curious to hear their thoughts.

Staff
#3 Posted by AweSam (7371 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know much about Wonder Woman, but I did like the movie. Although, I still don't understand how she actually got her airplane. The story's different every time.

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

I am no expert on Wonder Woman but I thought this was one of the best animated movies DC put out....without question my favorite. They could very much apply the more plausible, realistic approach this movie had and use it for a basis of a live action movie.

#5 Posted by Erik (31583 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

<3333333333333333333333333333333333333

#6 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam said:

I don't know much about Wonder Woman, but I did like the movie. Although, I still don't understand how she actually got her airplane. The story's different every time.

I kind of also scratched my head when the invisible jet randomly showed up with no reason provided. Could an expert explain this for us? It seems odd since they cut themselves off from the modern world, and that technology was clearly quite modern and drastically different from everything else on the island.

Staff
#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even remember where I saw it....Cartoon network?No...Megavideo...

#8 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n said:

How accurate was the origin?

Staff
#9 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84491 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a thread for this somewhere but I dont feel like tracking it down. The animated movie was great, although if I remember correctly it didnt do nearly as well as the other DC animated movies.

#10 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84491 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:

@AweSam said:

I kind of also scratched my head when the invisible jet randomly showed up with no reason provided. Could an expert explain this for us? It seems odd since they cut themselves off from the modern world, and that technology was clearly quite modern and drastically different from everything else on the island.

The island was invisible as well, in the comics the jet was made of something that could morph into any vehicle....In the film  the jets design and hull seemed to mirror Trevors fighter plane that crashed....that could be the implied origin
#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was extremely well done. The animation was superb as was the voice talent and plot.

#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler: I didn't spot it when glancing through her forum. So... let it forever remain hidden!!!!

@cattlebattle said:

I am no expert on Wonder Woman but ovie.I thought this was one of the best animated movies DC put out....without question my favorite. They could very much apply the more plausible, realistic approach this movie had and use it for a basis of a live action m

Definitely. The only one I like more so far is Under the Red Hood.

Staff
#14 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Found em (still not gonna lock this lol)
And Here

Dude, you're the worst kind of evil. lol

Staff
#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
Found em (still not gonna lock this lol)
And Here
You better NOT! XD
#16 Posted by Erik (31583 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Eh, I think getting hung up on whether or not the origin is a direct translation from the source material is a mistake. The movie is in its own universe so what things I noticed that were not exactly like the comics were dismissed in favor for how the movie made me feel. The film was really enjoyable as both a devout Wonder Woman fan and as a movie buff. Honestly, I cannot think of a single thing I personally did not enjoy about it.

#17 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84491 posts) - - Show Bio

The one problem I always have with WW is her segregation. Her villains are primarily exclusive to her. Her major story arcs seldom if ever cross over into other titles. Once in awhile but not often. Her supporting cast is fugasy

#18 Posted by The Stegman (23006 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n:  

I am no expert on Wonder Woman but I thought this was one of the best animated movies DC put out....without question my favorite. They could very much apply the more plausible, realistic approach this movie had and use it for a basis of a live action movie.

This, I keep saying they should take the script from the animated movie, change a few things, and boom, it'll be a great live action film.
#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Eh, I think getting hung up on whether or not the origin is a direct translation from the source material is a mistake. The movie is in its own universe so what things I noticed that were not exactly like the comics were dismissed in favor for how the movie made me feel. The film was really enjoyable as both a devout Wonder Woman fan and as a movie buff. Honestly, I cannot think of a single thing I personally did not enjoy about it.

All I want to know is the following: IS DIANA ONE PART LIGHTNING, ONE PART SAND?!

Staff
#20 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

I thought it was extremely well done. The animation was superb as was the voice talent and plot.

Agreed! I love how many laughs they managed to pack in, but unfortunately some of the jokes were a little too dry for my taste. (drinking w/ Trevor and telling the Swan story, arrow to the leg)

Staff
#21 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84491 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: It was originally clay and divine magic
#22 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler: Gracias, senor Gambler.

Staff
#23 Posted by Erik (31583 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

All I want to know is the following: IS DIANA ONE PART LIGHTNING, ONE PART SAND?!

LMAO They used the Perez origin as the foundation but they chose things from other versions of WW lore and spun it into their own, new thing. So essentially, yeah she is a sand baby.

#24 Posted by Erik (31583 posts) - - Show Bio

Nathan Fillion was Steve Trevor in this movie. That is all that needs to be said to fall in love with this film.

#25 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

Nathan Fillion was Steve Trevor in this movie. That is all that needs to be said to fall in love with this film.

Keri Russel was Wonder Woman, nuff said.

#26 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

Haha yeah, that was immediately noticeable. For the first second it threw me off because I thought it was Hal Jordan. Same voice actor? Check. Cocky fighter pilot? Check.

Staff
#27 Posted by Mercy_ (92444 posts) - - Show Bio

Starts a petition for Fillion to be every male superhero, ever.

#28 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Staff
#29 Posted by Erik (31583 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Mercy_ said:

LOL

#30 Posted by Mercy_ (92444 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Mercy_ said:

• Vigilante (I actually fangirled over the episode with Vigilante and Vigilante because it was Gina and Nathan again :D)
  • Green Lantern
  • Spy Smasher
  • Steve Trevor
  • Captain Hammer

that's like...half right there, right? <_<

#31 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_:Offer him the next live action GL and this might be the appropriate reaction:

Staff
#32 Posted by Mercy_ (92444 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I was bummedddddddddddd when he didn't get it first time around and now, sadly, I think he may be too old T__T

Although...he and Jeremy Renner are actually the same age, so you never know.

#33 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

It was really good. Probably one of the best DC has done and I'm surprised they haven't done it before.

I really hope they do Batgirl Year One in the future.

#34 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: I didn't know that. How old are they really?

@oraclefyre: Agreed.

Staff
#35 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen the film yet but I'm hoping to buy it soon.

#36 Edited by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

I know I'm a few years late to the party on this one, but I didn't see a thread for it.

I've never really considered myself a fan of the character or read all that much of her series (I'm just getting started with her new 52 book), but I must admit, her animated movie was very impressive. Funny, engaging, and more than enough action to keep me entertained. I won't lie, this film definitely motivated me to focus to catch up on her title, too.

Who else has watched it and what are their thoughts? And to the Wonder Woman experts, did you have any major complaints about the film or was it (for the most part) accurate?

I consider myself a Wonder Woman expert I have read all her comics since 1986. I really enjoyed the film no major complaints.

The Theme was correct however they did change the Amazon history a bit prior to Wonder Woman being born. The Comic book history of the Amazons prior to Wonder Woman would actually make a pretty good movie by it self.

After Wonder Woman's birth it gets pretty accurate. However ARES was never a prisoner on the island. Hippolyta did not have a son called Thrax.

The Gods never imprisoned ARES. And she did not have an invisible plane. Artemis character was supposed to be philipus. but since people are more familiar with Artemis they changed it.

The Amazons where not betrayed by one of there sisters.

And STEVE TREVER was way older and not a love interest to Wonder Woman.

Basically They took the best of pre-crisis Wonder Woman story and the best of Post Crisis Wonder Woman almost at a 50/50 ratio and came up with something pretty good kind of like how the DCnU Wonder Woman is.

Its funny because this Film was made in 2009 but it is actually pretty much fits VERY well with the DCnU 52 Wonder Woman story more than the post crisis origin. In the DCnU 52 Wonder Woman, it has not yet been reveled how Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor met. When they do finally revel it... it may closely resemble this movie. Not sure if they planned that but it makes the movie more relevant.

#37 Posted by Vance Astro (91105 posts) - - Show Bio

It was good but I will be satisfied when DC gives her a well done live action film.We already know Warner Bros\DC makes good animated films and series.That's nothing for them.Let's what they can do with the big screen because as of now Marvel is curbstomping them in that respect.

#38 Posted by TAneT62 (1057 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved it, better than the GL movies, way better ... Went to Movie World today (theme park in Australia) and WW has her own character there, man she is amazing at Movie World, looks real and superb! :P

#39 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved Loved Lovedddd it!

It was superb, but if I remember it did so badly that they decided not to create a second movie.

#40 Posted by OldDude (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked this film totally great thing for me since I am a huge WW fan (I even like the 70's Diana Prince series), it's just so much better than the crappy tv pilot, which made me real sad to watch. The animation is great and it has good dialogue to match, seems like the writers didn't take themselves real seriously, something that suits the whole feat really well and makes it more fun to watch. I also liked Artemis, such a cool character and here she fits the story nicely as an antagonist. The only thing that could have been better was the voice-over but this is a problem I have with most US animation so it didn't bother me that much.

DC does such a great job with their animated movies, wish they could do that with their live feats (maybe Arrow will manage that, but I digress)...

#41 Posted by Mercy_ (92444 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n 42, iirc. I think Jeremy's got two months on Nathan
#42 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed it.

#43 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Protoon (99 posts) - - Show Bio

I celebrated finishing a big report I'd been working on for weeks by sitting in bed watching this film on my laptop and eating chocolate.

I thought the film was great! I did think it suffered a bit from the enforced 70 min running time though; I wanted more! I would LOVE them to make another one but it seems that won't happen. It's sad.

#45 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this movie was DC's second best animated feature. It was awesome.

#46 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a great movie and one of my favorite animated comic book related movies.

#47 Posted by justice teen (438 posts) - - Show Bio

the movie was good but could have been better. I really wanted circe in it, ad was mad that she could not fly

#48 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

I loved it too!

#49 Edited by Erik (31583 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

It was good but I will be satisfied when DC gives her a well done live action film.We already know Warner Bros\DC makes good animated films and series.That's nothing for them.Let's what they can do with the big screen because as of now Marvel is curbstomping them in that respect.

I honestly do not think they can do WW justice live action. People have a hard time giving credit to a live action film where the protagonist is a female. Look at Haywire. I thought the film was awesome but it did very poorly considering it also starred Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor and Channing Tatum as Gina Carano's supporting cast. It also had Michael Douglas and Antonio Banderas as minor characters. It was a dream team cast and because the protagonist was a woman...

#50 Edited by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

@Vance Astro said:

I honestly do not think they can do WW justice live action. People have a hard time giving credit to a live action film where the protagonist is a female. Look at Haywire. I thought the film was awesome but it did very poorly considering it also starred Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor and Channing Tatum as Gina Carano's supporting cast. It also had Michael Douglas and Antonio Banderas as minor characters. It was a dream team cast and because the protagonist was a woman...

In Haywire there was only one Woman in the whole movie. Gina Carano and she could not act at all.

Aliens, Tomb Raider, Salt, Underworld among others is proof Wonder Woman Live action would work

The movie just proves that Gina Carano should stay away from Wonder Woman :P

The Bechdel Test

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.