Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman Short Makes Headlines

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jphulk26

Poll Wonder Woman Short Makes Headlines (44 votes)

In Trinity? 80%
    Not In Trinity? 20%

I have to say I saw the Wonder Woman Short, and I wasn´t a massive fan. But inspite it not being that great once again our Amazon Princess is making headlines. Why because she´s awesome. She is a cultural icon and is more famous than many superheroes who have already made films. Green Lantern um, Ghost Rider will you please stand up.

I´ve said this over and over again, Wonder Woman is rightfully in The Trinity, why? Because General Audiences love her. Comic geeks who are usually males, and often teens or early 20s are not the right audience to market this idea to. Movie Audiences however are much more diverse and Wonder Woman has a huge following amongst ethnic minorities, Gay fans especially the brilliant Lynda Carter show and of course women.

Now there´s an issue of female superhero leads not making enough money at the box office. It´s too much of a risk, after all look at Catwoman and Supergirl. But comparing Wonder Woman to Supergirl is like comparing a Skoda to a Ferrari. Its like saying "oh I tried to sell my Skoda and no one would buy it, so cars don´t sell. Guess I´ll just keep my Ferrari on the shelf." As for Catwoman who I would say is a notch beneath Wonder Woman, but defo in her league as a female character, I think a good Wonder Woman movie can pave the way for characters like Catwoman to get a second chance.

2 and a half million watched the Fan Made Trailer in one day people. One day.

"Wonder Woman we´re waiting for you."

• 
    Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

How do gays like Lynda carter? Yeah

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Who is disputing Wonder Women's rightful place in the Trinity? No one.

But no one on comicvine or youtube has to write the $250 million dollar check for production and marketing either.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But no one on comicvine or youtube has to write the $250 million dollar check for production and marketing either.

The point I´m trying to make is wonder woman can´t be seen as a female superhero, she´s a phenomenon. I mean really Lynda Carter as cheesy as the show may seem now was so famous in the 70s it was ridiculous. She was to Wonder Woman what Reeves was to Supes. Wonder Woman will sell if the script is good to general audiences, even though comic book audiences are not as in to her at the moment. But again i¨d rather they wait for a dynamite script, than just make a rubbish film, but they should be actively looking.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jphulk26: I want a movie as much as you do. A good one.

Just saying. Given the failed historys of heroine films (even if they were just bad) as well as the costs required to make a good Superhero movie - you can understand why DC isn't just tossing money around.

Marvel's all ready had 5 years to put out what? 10~ movies? They have more trust than DC does right now and they can afford to gamble with things like GotG next year or Antman in 2015. And even they don't have a heroine film announced yet.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: I want a movie as much as you do. A good one.

Just saying. Given the failed historys of heroine films (even if they were just bad) as well as the costs required to make a good Superhero movie - you can understand why DC isn't just tossing money around.

Marvel's all ready had 5 years to put out what? 10~ movies? They have more trust than DC does right now and they can afford to gamble with things like GotG next year or Antman in 2015. And even they don't have a heroine film announced yet.

No your right. I get what you´re saying, but I still think its a mistake to think of making a wonder woman movie as the same gamble as making say Ms Marvel. It really isn´t. Anything that happens to Wonder Woman creates massive buzz. She gets a haircut, it makes news, she gets a father, it makes news. The chick generates more buzz than 90% of superheroes who have films. I would say she´s pretty much more famous and beloved than anyone who isn´t spiderman, wolverine, Hulk, superman or Batman or in The Avengers. Now for her to create more buzz than alot of superheroes when she doesn´t even have a film is mighty impressive. That quite frankly is not normal. Can you tell me one other superhero without a film that creates as much buzz.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: I actually think Wonder Women is more popular than anyone not named Superman, Spiderman or Batman to be honest with you.

I have A LOT of female friends who won't go see SuperHERO movies. But they would easily to go a SuperHEROINE movie.

If I had 250 million dollars to blow, I'd definitely donate it for a movie, but I don't so we're at the whim of DC. All we can do is rant on the internet and hope they are reading

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RustyRoy
    Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Movies with female leads don't rake in a lot of cash? Hunger Games says nay.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RayRay1127

THANK YOU!!! And that awful Twilight chimes in with a "NAY" as well.... Bella Swan may be the WORST possible female character of all time, but she's STILL female and those movies made a LOOOOOOOOT of money!

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly. And the Tomb Raider films (even though they weren't very good). And the Alien films. And plenty of others. It's funny to me that whenever some brings up the "female action stars don't make money" excuse they only point out the failures. That would be like saying that male characters don't make money because Daredevil and Green Lantern flopped while ignoring Batman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.

The fact of the matter is that Wonder Woman is a cash-cow waiting to happen, and WB is being idiotic by not making a film. Even a bad movie would probably be a money-maker, and a good film would rake it in. I really don't get what the hold-up is.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: I actually think Wonder Women is more popular than anyone not named Superman, Spiderman or Batman to be honest with you.

I have A LOT of female friends who won't go see SuperHERO movies. But they would easily to go a SuperHEROINE movie.

If I had 250 million dollars to blow, I'd definitely donate it for a movie, but I don't so we're at the whim of DC. All we can do is rant on the internet and hope they are reading

wonder woman has the advantage that no other comic female hero has.

the reason why female heros like elektra flopped is because she hasn't enough depth and development as a solo character,she worked fine as a supporting role in daredevil,but she hasn't enough going for her to support a whole movie on her own,that's the mistake they will probably make with ms marvel,if they really include her on avengers too and the movie has success,they will probably give her a movie,i like her,but she hasn't enough development and a rogue gallery of her own to support a whole movie by herself,there is not enough to tell about her,and not one good villan that is her villan and only hers,and that's when they are gonna mess it up,they need to develop these females more in comics before they try to give them a movie,elektra and supergirl movies are the proof of that.

now wonder woman has enough story and character development to have a movie,and she has 2 villans that are perfect for movies,circe and ares,most of the movies based on mythology are very successful these days,and wonder woman has 2 great mythology villans for that,circe a sorceress that has magic powers,spells to create demonds,turn people into animals and objects,deadly beams,etc,etc,perfect villan for a wonder woman movie.

ares god of war,no need to say more,another perfect villan for a wonder woman movie,right there you already have enough for 2 movies,so they only need good scrips which is the hardest thing to find when it comes to movies with female heros.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

i voted in trinity and who says she doesn't belong in the trinity ?

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we look at the Trinity as an ideological concept rather than a popularity contest, then yes, she's definitely in the Trinity

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i voted in trinity and who says she doesn't belong in the trinity ?

If we look at the Trinity as an ideological concept rather than a popularity contest, then yes, she's definitely in the Trinity

I could really do a long long essay on how Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman fit so perfectly together. Its odd to me that it was not done on purpose, completely distinct from each other, but all in a very complimentary way.

I´ve written something on this before, but I think the concepts behind their stories, and how they come from these different worlds that make them form such contrasting view points should be put front and centre at DC comics.

I would love to see some more elseworlds more focused on Wonder Woman for instance.

I had an idea for one, in which The Amazons were discovered in the 1800s by explorer Captain Steven Trevor and enslaved by men along with black slaves. Hippolyta prays for a child from the Gods and she is given Diana, who turns out to be blessed by The Gods. She is able to lead a revolt with the black slaves, and, ends up taking over America. It is a bloody uprising, which leads to the deaths of many including Hippolyta. Diana, devastated by her mothers passing decides The Amazons will bring peace to the world. It then becoming The United States Of Themyscira. The Amazons along with the freed black slaves form Governments banning men from any occupation that would stimulate their warring instinct, and The Amazons bring peace to the world. The Two World Wars are averted, and technology is advanced both through mysticism and science. But the security of the world is at a cost. The Themysciran Empire becomes a dictatorship under Diana´s rule, she bans many inherent freedoms, in order secure peace. As The Amazons are immortal the potential is they may forever rule world, banning men from certain levels of education, getting into war, limiting the population of men through genetic engineering, so as to make sure their is only enough to repopulate the Earth, screening for violent impulses in boys and erecting correctional schools to those who exhibit any abnormal behavior.

This would also have a Gotham with little or no corruption. Bruce Waynes parents never die in Crime Ally. Instead they die in a plane crash when he´s in his early twenties, but prior to their death Bruce is already displaying schizophrenic tendencies, with a curious obsession with Bats. As boy he is brilliant a genius in fact, but nonetheless his sanity is always in question. At 9 years old without explaination after falling into a cave and being attacked by Bats, the brilliant young heir to The Arkam Billions begins manifesting serious mental health issues. (Martha is the matriach of the family, so they´re actually called The Archams) When they die in a Plane Crash, Bruce goes insane, using all his money and resources to become The Bat, a criminal kingpin who descends Gotham in madness. Crafty, strategical, brilliant, Bruce is able to defy The Themysciran Government and almost single handedly turn Gotham into a dystopian nightmare that The United States Of Themyscira can no longer control. However Bruce is actually unaware he is The Bat, he´s become a multiple personality, by day Billionaire playboy, and by night a ruthless, brilliant terrorist against The United States Of Themyscira.

In the meantime, in Metropolis, a new hero has arisen. A Superman, with powers comparable or even beyond Empress Diana. He believes the inequality between woman and man must stop and that all should be equal. This Superman is secretly Clark Kent found in a spaceship by The Kents who do not know where he is from. The Kents who live on a farm in Smallville raise Clark as their own. They discover from a young age his magnificent powers and begin to instill him the virtues of freedom, equality and democracy. Martha who is a historian is especially important in the development of Clarks morality. When Clark moves to the big city to become a journalist, he realizes just how oppressive the regime is, by seeing how as man he´s not given equal rights in the work place and how any complaints against the Amazon system are suppressed. This is when he begins to don the Superman suit, and save people from the excesses of the regime.

The third part of the story is about Vanessa Cale, who is hired by Diana to figure out the Superman problem. However Cale has a much more permanent solution than Diana imagines. A virus that attacks the Y Chromosome and will be able to wipe out men forever. She has already now figured out how to make women immortal by studying The Amazons.

In the third and final part of the story, The Bat, Diana and Superman must team up to stop Vanessa, who has ousted Diana after she refuses to sanction wholesale Genocide. Now she must work with her two mortal enemies in Mans World to oust Vanessa Cale who has become more powerful than any of them could imagine.

Just an idea I had.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

^ He says everything I want to say, better than I can say it.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Yeah if you read the comments you'll see that Shazam and Aquaman both get a lot of love, as well as the Teen Titans.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But Hunger Games was terrible.

90mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw said:

But Hunger Games was terrible.

Speak for yourself I liked it

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Seriously all they have to do is make the COMIC wonder woman, and not change things thinking its gonna make a better movie. It wont. *cough* Catwoman *cough*

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Some Hal Jordan fans.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@herokiller12344: that's your opinion but there's still no denying the fact that it made a lot of money.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

Some Hal Jordan fans.

Hey some Aquaman fans were trying to get in on that action as well ;) I was like in your dreams Aqualad´s. :)

Put it this way if they had to drop anyone from a Justice League Film, who are the 3 that DC cannot leave out the film without it bombing. Hal Jordan? Aquaman? Don´t think so guys.

90mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good wonder woman movie could make a lot of money man

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Catsnlynne

I can live without a Wonder Woman movie.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

then what are you doing here?.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gokuwarrior

@catsnlynne:if you don't like wonder woman,her forum isn't a place that you can enjoy.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catsnlynne:if you don't like wonder woman,her forum isn't a place that you can enjoy.

^^This right here^^

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RayRay1127

As a Wonder Woman fan, I can too if TPTB aren't gonna do it right. So far what I'm hearing and reading is that WB is just NOT gonna make a female hero a priority, and no one there seems to "get" her. If they aren't gonna do right by Diana on film, then I say don't bother ruining her yet more then she's already been ruined by azzerello and dc editorial...

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TAneT62

There is so much proof that a Wonder Woman will work, and better than anyone's expectations.

I mean, I'll name a few female lead action roles that have exceeded everyone's expectations ... Money wise.

Resident Evil

Underworld

The Hunger Games

etc....

It will work.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supergirl >>>>>> Catwoman. Just thought everyone needed to know.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanet62: i dont think it the action part they are worry about i think it the Superhero part they are trying to figure out

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I wanna see a Wonder Woman film but the probably is who are her major villains?? I don't think I can name any. I can Batman, Superman and even The Flash's villains but I can't name Wonder Woman's. That is also a major issue. A villain makes an good hero!!

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sinisteri

@lyrafay:

You have two choices.

If you are truly interested in WW, read her titles present and past including any material on her decades long history.

OR

Watch the movie and learn about her as well as her selected antagonist through that medium.

Note: the general public followed the adventures of WW, Hulk, and Spidermsn without said heroes fighting big name villains for years which implies the characters could be written independent of big name villains.

Most of public were probably not completely aware of Green Goblin, Sandman, the Lizard, Bane, Thanos, or Black Widow-- but they learned about these characters once they were introduced on the big screen.

Point: the public does not have to already know WW's major villains to be interested I following her adventures as long as there is a well written story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.