Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman's Best Origin Story?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Also if is there anything youd like to see changed with her typical origin story?

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The one that is not pedestrian, Hippolyta-shaming, Amazons ruining and out of context. The clay origin IS ww's origin.

I would follow Perez' revamp as a general idea (villainous Hercules, Themyscira's flawed utopia, blesses from the gods, the contest, the role of ambassador... with some additions made by Simone in "The Circle"), but with some changes...

1 - Divine blessings would be innate (grace, beauty, loving heart, intelligence, wisdom, animal empathy..), but they wouldn't directly include superpowers (strenght, durability, speed, see next point).

2 - Amazon's special training would somewhat return: all amazons can enhance their physical abilities to a point, WW begins as an extremely skilled one, but she would be limitless (this would translate into always-growing superpowers in the end).

3 - Some special gifts would be rewarded after the contest: flight, sisterhood with fire, lasso of truth (she is linked to it, receiving a partial "aura of truth")...

4 - Steve Trevor (did he even know how to properly land a plane?) would be young again (one of the few things I like in the new52), but they wouldn't fall in love from the beginning (both would date other people... she won't date Superman). They would be an awesome and fun action team for some time.

5 - Themyscira would be greek styled (populated areas) and a beautiful but dangerous sanctuary of everything mythological. Amazons would generally look like living in ancient times, but they possess advanced magitech (communications, healing... but not thing they didn't need to develop, like transportation, robotics, sci-fi stuff and even lots of things that are common in man's world).

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80: I don't think I really agree, what Azzarello did was brilliant and it humanized her in a way she really hadn't been before. I love that Diana actually has a father cause most real women do. I just don't know that I agree it should be Zeus. I honestly don't know who it should be and I think it'd be an interesting thing to leave ambiguous. I totally agree on the divine blessings part but I disagree on the Amazon special training. I think her powers should come from her father, whoever that might be. I agree with you again on the contest but I think the only thing that should be awarded is the lasso of truth. Flight and whatnot should come as development in a later story. I think maybe Steve Trevor doesn't even land on the island. I've always liked the idea that Hyppolyta actually had a friend from the outside world during WW2. It would give that all important WW2 connection and could serve many a purpose. This could be the crash on Paradise Island instead of Steve Trevor and the woman's name could be Diana. This could be where Wonder Woman gets her name. You could also have Wonder Woman be the name of her plane. This would later serve to be the invisible jet. This could also be the connection to Steve Trevor as she could be Diana Trevor. This leads into why she leaves the island, a much more personal reason. Hyppolyta is dying and Diana wants to bring her old friend back to see her, but she doesn't realize time passes differently in the outside world and that Diana Trevor has passed on years ago. Circe of course would be the culprit for Hyppolyta's sickness and that would lead into the villain of your story. Also I do believe Themyscira needs to be a peaceful place but I'm entirely for Grant Morrison's take on it which you can look up if you have the time. Then as a final note I think the version of Ares Azzarello used is a very important character, the way he trained Diana to be a machine of war and still, as trained as she was, she chose mercy. I think that's important. I think it's important that she doesn't fight with sword and shield either, I believe whole heartedly in the lasso, it's a wonderful physical manifestation of the way she fights (that way being with truth and justice). Because truth is the kind of thing that when it beats you and slowly ensnares you and by the time you realize you've lost you're tied up.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with Diana's established origin (Perez version). I hate Steve Trevor; he's the boringest character in comics. So, I'd completely change him to make him more interesting.

He finds Diana on Themiscyra and falls for her immediately, Diana wouldn't fall for Steve at all. He'd slowly become more and more obsessed with her until he snaps and becomes a villain. She puts him away and he later makes a deal with Ares to become the herald of War.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

I'm fine with Diana's established origin (Perez version). I hate Steve Trevor; he's the boringest character in comics. So, I'd completely change him to make him more interesting.

He finds Diana on Themiscyra and falls for her immediately, Diana wouldn't fall for Steve at all. He'd slowly become more and more obsessed with her until he snaps and becomes a villain. She puts him away and he later makes a deal with Ares to become the herald of War.

@hawk80 said:

The one that is not pedestrian, Hippolyta-shaming, Amazons ruining and out of context. The clay origin IS ww's origin.

I would follow Perez' revamp as a general idea (villainous Hercules, Themyscira's flawed utopia, blesses from the gods, the contest, the role of ambassador... with some additions made by Simone in "The Circle"), but with some changes...

1 - Divine blessings would be innate (grace, beauty, loving heart, intelligence, wisdom, animal empathy..), but they wouldn't directly include superpowers (strenght, durability, speed, see next point).

2 - Amazon's special training would somewhat return: all amazons can enhance their physical abilities to a point, WW begins as an extremely skilled one, but she would be limitless (this would translate into always-growing superpowers in the end).

3 - Some special gifts would be rewarded after the contest: flight, sisterhood with fire, lasso of truth (she is linked to it, receiving a partial "aura of truth")...

4 - Steve Trevor (did he even know how to properly land a plane?) would be young again (one of the few things I like in the new52), but they wouldn't fall in love from the beginning (both would date other people... she won't date Superman). They would be an awesome and fun action team for some time.

5 - Themyscira would be greek styled (populated areas) and a beautiful but dangerous sanctuary of everything mythological. Amazons would generally look like living in ancient times, but they possess advanced magitech (communications, healing... but not thing they didn't need to develop, like transportation, robotics, sci-fi stuff and even lots of things that are common in man's world).

i feel making things more political wrt the Gods and Themyscira would be great. I love to keep themyscira as a relatively good place and i love the idea of Amazons being pretty much good( i hate the dark sailor raping versions of them) but if you made the world around them alot more house of cardish then things would be cooler. Like reading mythology shows you how corrupt the gods really are so itd be cool if alot of the ideal story we get about themyscira is taken apart but they do it without compromising how important the amazons are. Stories about Diana learning about how evil the people she worshipped and finding that the only people the amazons should be praising and proud of are themselves not Zeus or Hera

all brilliant points and ideas

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.