Wonder Woman New 52 Sales Figures

• 146 results
#101 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: hahaha,wonder woman costume is iconic,and it won't change,you saw what happended when they tried,now you'll say that her bracelets and lasso are silly too right?,nobody complains about her costume,and with the sex conent that women have in actual series and movie you can really bet that most people don't complain about her costume.

but if you find her silly go away,this is not the right forum for you.

#102 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate looking at sales figures. It's depressing and I'd rather not be aware of how good the books I read are selling.

#103 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Press Oblivion: why not?,you all say that people think she is not cool,and you obiously think that there's nothing to do about it,all of you have a fatal vision of her,like she has no future no matter what,so why waste more time with her right?.

Obviously I've upset you. My apologies.

#104 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion: i'm not upset,i'm saying what you think,you say that people think she is not cool,"drgnx" thinks that the comic is the problem,"colonyofcells" thinks that she is lame and have too many silly things like most DC characters,so obiously she should dissapear if she is that bad,that should be the conclution from all of you right?.

#105 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Even icons change altho it just takes longer. Nothing really lasts forever and this includes old costumes. Wonder Woman will get more updates as needed in order to survive against competitors like Black Widow, Marvel's female Captain Marvel, etc.

#106 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: black widow?,really?,nobody recognizes her,and outside the US she is a nobody,wonder woman costume stayed the same for 71 years,she won't change now,nobody complains about her costume specially when people love tha kind of costume,look at mangas,and many other females in comics,her lasso,tiara and bracelets are her main items,they won't go away either,sorry but wonder woman costume and items didn't change in 71 years,you can bet they won't start to change now,they aren't the problem.

#107 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

DC saw many problems in the costumes which is why many costumes were improved with the New 52 reboots.

#108 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: but her costume stayed the same,like most of the heros.

#109 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For a while, they wanted pants but somebody changed it back to panties. They even showed the action figure of Wonder Woman with pants and on the promo and cover for Justice League 1. My guess is the Wonder Woman solo title creators prefer the panties for some reason. DC will probably change the costume again once the CW tv show and Justice League movie starts.

#110 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: the TV pilot failed and one reason was the pants,you can bet they won't make that mistake again,most people prefer her costume the way it is.

#111 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

For movies, the first thing they will do is to update the silly costume of Wonder Woman which in current comics, looks like that of a stripper. I can tell you more about all the silly stuff in Wonder Woman when your heart is ready for the truth about how the general public views silly super heroes. Many of dc's super heroes have silly elements bec. many started in the golden age when comics were for children. Marvel super heroes were invented much later in the silver age when teens were reading comics so Marvel super heroes have less of the silly elements. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were working in romance comics before they created the Marvel super heroes and they carried some of their romance comics skills in doing the Marvel super heroes which tend to translate better to movies for teens.

@colonyofcells: Spiderman is completely ridiculous (bitten by a radioactive spider, gains spider powers), and as much as love I the Hulk his powers came from being nuked by an atom bomb. Because historically thats been known for the power it bestows on its victims. Sorry in terms of the mythology behind it Batman, Superman and WW are far more complex and mature than any of Marvels creations. Maybe Marvel have the X-Men, but again Superman and Batmans mythologies are far more timeless and iconic than the X-Men and I would argue WW as well, but just to be objective, I limit it to that. How is a man bitten by a radio active spider more mature or The Fantastic Four "Its clobering time"? hit by cosmic rays. Come on man. Or even Captain "wait was that?" America. No sorry even better I forgot about Antman. Please are you for real and this is comicng from a Marvel fan. DC´s stories are just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better. DC problem is its a terribly corrupt company with poor organisation, and I rate Marvel for the pride they take in even their most ridiculous characters, but DC main heroes mythologies are just superior stories. X-Men and the Hulk are the best Marvel creations. @drgnx: @gokuwarrior:

#112 Posted by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: Some girls don't like her costume though. I mean its just like a one piece bathing suit. Probably because the way guys act when they see her.

#113 Posted by Captain13 (3395 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42 said:

@gokuwarrior: Some girls don't like her costume though. I mean its just like a one piece bathing suit. Probably because the way guys act when they see her.

He costume should look more warrior like. Give her a gladiator skirt. It's not sexist like the panties or ugly like the pants. Guys wore it too. It fits with her backgound. I don't see the problem.

Kris Anka's Redesign

Kris Anka explains his approach, saying:

I was definitely trying achieve a more legit gladiator look. I went with a majority of leather armoring for a more flexible/useful look. I really wanted to remove all aspects of daintiness from her; make her truly seem someone not to mess with. I always felt the corniness of her costume held back her potential/appeal. The stars were definitely something I was keen to be rid of. Bare feet seemed more proper for fighting than high heels.

#114 Posted by tea8765 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@moywar700 said:

She's sells fairly well considering her digital sales and tradeback sales .

She doesn't have to sell as well as Green Lanturn to be as important to DC Universe. It is how she is written that makes her important.Not how much she sells.

I like Wonder Woman a lot, but don't forget that DC is a business.

It is a business, and its not just the writing that's effecting the sales its the marketing too. I bought my first comic in the toy department at Wal-Mart, they don't even sell comics anymore. Of course this doesn't account for the drop in sales over the last few months, but I wonder what about the last ten or twenty years.

#115 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@tea8765: they need to do the proper marketing when they give her more exposure outside comics.

#116 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: her costume is fine,but the image you post isn't bad,they need to do the proper marketing when they give her more exposure outside comics.

#117 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13 said:

@lilben42 said:

He costume should look more warrior like. Give her a gladiator skirt. It's not sexist like the panties or ugly like the pants. Guys wore it too. It fits with her backgound. I don't see the problem.

Kris Anka's Redesign

Kris Anka explains his approach, saying:

I was definitely trying achieve a more legit gladiator look. I went with a majority of leather armoring for a more flexible/useful look. I really wanted to remove all aspects of daintiness from her; make her truly seem someone not to mess with. I always felt the corniness of her costume held back her potential/appeal. The stars were definitely something I was keen to be rid of. Bare feet seemed more proper for fighting than high heels.

@colonyofcells: @gokuwarrior: I never here women complain about the costume, its only men trying to pretend they are not sexist. Its the silliest thing, if you find it sexual, do you find gymnasts who wear Tiara´s sexual? (Not to you Goku) I think its a general rule that a costume has to be striking and memorable to be good, and hers is and yes it shows off WW beauty, but whys that a bad thing? I´ve only heard one woman ever complain about it, and even friends of mine who are feminists have no problem with it. It shows she is beautiful, powerful and at ease with herself. You never hear Wonder Woman worrying about her looks, or worrying about her hair or makeup, she´s completely comfortable with her own being and I think thats a positive message for little girls and women and people in general.

I don´t like when the costume is hypersexualised, like in some runs of her comic, but that can be done with any character whether male or female, I think usually she looks perfectly fine.

Check out this link if you don´t believe me, I think women are fine with how she looks.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGsquQJeP9U"

From what I see here women seem to be more interested in Wonder Woman being able to kick ass than what she´s wearing.

#118 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: i agree.

#119 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

I could careless as long as her book continues to be fantastic. Azzarelo is crafting one of the more memorable takes on Wonder Woman.

#120 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#121 Posted by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

I think once she has a great story arc more people will buy them.

#122 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: Can I ask, do you really think if they changed her costume to this it would increase the sales of her comic?

#123 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: I doubt it. It's a very one dimensional look at a character if that's the reasoning.

#124 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa said:

@jphulk26: I doubt it. It's a very one dimensional look at a character if that's the reasoning.

I´m just asking cause loads of people think her costume is the problem. I see nothing wrong with it. A lot of women I know see nothing wrong with it. Its just a bunch of guys, which makes me suspicious because I have never in any other type of discussion heard a man say they find a woman unrelatable because she doesn´t wear enough clothes. I personally don´t mind her changing her costume as long as it isn´t jeans and a leather jacket, but rather some kind of warrior garb, but I don´t think that has anything to do with her sales whatsoever.

#125 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@Goddessa said:

I´m just asking cause loads of people think her costume is the problem. I see nothing wrong with it. A lot of women I know see nothing wrong with it. Its just a bunch of guys, which makes me suspicious because I have never in any other type of discussion heard a man say they find a woman unrelatable because she doesn´t wear enough clothes. I personally don´t mind her changing her costume as long as it isn´t jeans and a leather jacket, but rather some kind of warrior garb, but I don´t think that has anything to do with her sales whatsoever.

I'm with you there. Actually there's really nothing wrong with the panties garb, it's how it's drawn...I love Phil Jimenez WW artwork - powerful, sexy, regal ...compared to Mike Deodato's WW - she looks like she' out for blood all the time, overly sexy high cut panty, and greasy hair look. But I totally abhor Atkins work!

#126 Edited by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26:

Here is a chart we did in the Batman thread. It was mainly to show Batman and success, but you use it to check out Wonder. Women compared to the big 3 sellers members and comics. Ive checked anything related to GL, SM, and WW. The new Talon comic is doing well too for Gotham...

JLI was cancelled, but was not on deathwatch ....

Updated found the data for Aquaman and Talon, both are in the 50k range. Talon was in the 50k but was in the 37k ran for November only, no data on December yet. I'd leave it in the 50 range until they post new numbers, besides that's range it would have been in at the time of that article.

Here is the link where they got the raw data

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012.html

And of course the data I used for this list (they used the data above)

http://comicbookrevolution.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=58&Itemid=82

CategoryBatman & FamilyBatman Family on TeamNon-Batman
Allstar
(100k<Sales)
BatmanJustice League
High
(80k<sales<100k)
---
Mid
(60k<sales<80k)
Batman The Dark Knight
Batman and Robin
Batman Incorporated
Detective Comics
  • Green Lantern
  • Action Comics (SM)
  • Earth 2 (Green Lantern)
Avg
(45k<sales<60k)
Nightwing
Talon
Flash
  • Superman
Aquaman
Low
(30k<sales<45k)
Batgirl
Batwoman
Catwoman
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Teen Titans (trinity Jr)
World's Finest (also power girl)
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • Green Lantern New Guardians
  • Red Lanterns
  • Supergirl
  • Wonder Woman
Justice League Dark
Danger
(20k<sales<30k)
Birds of Prey
Suicide Squad(H Quinn)
All Star Western
Green Arrow
  • Superboy
Dial H
Ravagers
Deathwatch
(0<sales<20k)
BatwingDC Universe Presents
Deathstroke
Demon Knights
Firestorm
I, Vampire
Legion of Super Heroes
Savage Hawkman
Stormwatch
In the process
of being
cancelled
Blue Beetle
Frankenstein Agent of Shade
Grifter
Legion Lost
One year later
(cancelled)
Justice League Int.BlackHawks
Hawk and Dove
Men of War
Mr. Terrific
OMAC
Static Shock
Catpain Atom
Resurrection Man
Voodoo
GI Combat

Batman (& family)

1. Batman - Allstar (100,000+)
  2. Batman The Dark Knight - Mid:(60,000 to 79,999)
  3. Batman and Robin - Mid:(60,000 to 79,999)
  4. Batman Incorporated - Mid:(60,000 to 79,999)
  5. Detective Comics - Mid:(60,000 to 79,999)

Bat Family

1. Catwomen - Avg:(45,000 to 59,999)
  2. Batwomen - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  3. Batgirl - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  4. Batwing - Low:(0 to 19,999)
  5. Nightwing - Avg:(45,000 to 59,999)

Teams with Bat family

1. Justice League (Batman) - Allstar (100,000+)
  2. Justice League International (Batman, Batwing) - cancelled
  3. Teen Titans (Red Robin) - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  4. Redhood and the Outlaws (Redhood) - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  5. World's Finest (Huntress) - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  6. Birds of Prey (Batgirl & various) - Low:(20,000 to 29,999)
  7. Justice League of America (Catwomen) - ?

Comics with Batman/Gotham Related Characters

1. Talon - spawned from Batman and family crossover event - Avg:(45,000 to 59,999)
  2. Suicide Squad (Harley Quinn) - Low:(20,000 to 29,999)
#127 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: thank you, i´m guessing this is for new 52 sales?

#128 Edited by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: Yes, its from the links you posted, just put in a chart, its funny even titans has a Lantern like guy, he uses psionic brinks to make constructs, but is violet instead of green .... <.<", it sealed the deal when he made a cushion (or something springy) out of brinks ...

#129 Posted by WWsource (1 posts) - - Show Bio

We fans of Wonder Woman are all too aware that she hasn't sold well in the fast several years. She's been the victim of bad writing, misunderstood, and just not being taken seriously by the head CEOs of DC. This reboot may be selling well, but it keeps dropping. Wonder Woman is nowhere near being cancelled, that’s true. But DC has really altered her universe in a way that not only irritates the fans, it also makes her relatable. Her new origin story has dragged on for what? Two years now? And she STILL hasn’t gotten anywhere. She’s void of personality and her own books lack her “screen time”. Most of the time we see gods arguing, Hera on a rant, or Diana standing there or killing. She lacks her smile and compassion. The new outfit dulls down her image so she’s lost in the background. She doesn’t pop. She’s just there. The beautiful Greco-Roman world of Themyscira has turned into the downtown streets of Bagdad. The very structure of Wonder Woman has been removed. Her birth from the earth was symbolic to the story of Pandora. While Pandora was created to destroy man, Wonder Woman was created to save it. That was Marston’s whole intent in creating her. The new 52 presents an interesting storyline for an alternate universe, but as a mainstream story it lacks. Diana, the Amazons, and the gods are very misunderstood. The knowledge of Greek mythology lacks in this new run. The gods were not evil or stupid, nor were they power-hungry. They fought, yes. But they never tried to kill each other (they couldn’t in real mythology). These New 52 gods lack the beauty and luster the ones of mythology had. In time as we see now with the drop in sales constantly happening, this run will keep getting old. We want Wonder woman to do something. We want her to be somebody. That’s all. Right now she’s just a figure in a comic. Nothing more nothing less. Maybe I’ll start my own fan-fiction comic online and take what worked and didn’t work in all her incarnations and create a new storyline. I’ve lost faith in the New 52 Wonder Woman. I’ll keep reading hoping one day they’ll do her right.

#130 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (758 posts) - - Show Bio

@WWsource said:

We fans of Wonder Woman are all too aware that she hasn't sold well in the fast several years. She's been the victim of bad writing, misunderstood, and just not being taken seriously by the head CEOs of DC. This reboot may be selling well, but it keeps dropping. Wonder Woman is nowhere near being cancelled, that’s true. But DC has really altered her universe in a way that not only irritates the fans, it also makes her relatable. Her new origin story has dragged on for what? Two years now? And she STILL hasn’t gotten anywhere. She’s void of personality and her own books lack her “screen time”. Most of the time we see gods arguing, Hera on a rant, or Diana standing there or killing. She lacks her smile and compassion. The new outfit dulls down her image so she’s lost in the background. She doesn’t pop. She’s just there. The beautiful Greco-Roman world of Themyscira has turned into the downtown streets of Bagdad. The very structure of Wonder Woman has been removed. Her birth from the earth was symbolic to the story of Pandora. While Pandora was created to destroy man, Wonder Woman was created to save it. That was Marston’s whole intent in creating her. The new 52 presents an interesting storyline for an alternate universe, but as a mainstream story it lacks. Diana, the Amazons, and the gods are very misunderstood. The knowledge of Greek mythology lacks in this new run. The gods were not evil or stupid, nor were they power-hungry. They fought, yes. But they never tried to kill each other (they couldn’t in real mythology). These New 52 gods lack the beauty and luster the ones of mythology had. In time as we see now with the drop in sales constantly happening, this run will keep getting old. We want Wonder woman to do something. We want her to be somebody. That’s all. Right now she’s just a figure in a comic. Nothing more nothing less. Maybe I’ll start my own fan-fiction comic online and take what worked and didn’t work in all her incarnations and create a new storyline. I’ve lost faith in the New 52 Wonder Woman. I’ll keep reading hoping one day they’ll do her right.

Good post! You're preaching to the choir.

#131 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@WWsource: i completely agree with you.

#132 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@WWsource: Well Said!

#133 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe do a spin off title for the greek gods so Wonder Woman can get more screen time in her own title. Maybe it is time for dc to do a Hercules title also like Marvel. Hopefully, the new gods will get their own title soon bec. the Wonder Woman title does look a bit overcrowded these days. I hope Thor don't show up in Wonder Woman also.

#134 Edited by ChiSoxRox (235 posts) - - Show Bio

She's still trending down, slowly:

Oct. 2012 - 43,727

Nov. 2012 - 42,388

Dec. 2012 - 41,639

Jan. 2013 - 40,100

Feb. 2013 - 39,110

March 2013 - 38,406

But almost all New 52 titles are consistently declining; Wonder Woman last month was still good for 19th out of the 52.

#135 Posted by darkman61288 (770 posts) - - Show Bio

@chisoxrox: True most of the titles are declining. In fact most of the titles are nearing their pre Flashpoint levels. Which really shows how the New 52 isn't really working.

#136 Posted by herrweis (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26:

any other female superheroine proceeding her or coming after her I would say.

#137 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

It's interesting to see where this project of DC's stands after a year and half.

#138 Edited by herrweis (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: the female batman family members only sell that amount when there is a crossover.if not they se;ll less than Wonder Woman

#139 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@press_oblivion: let's see what the future holds for wonder woman,there are so many thing that they can do for her and increase sales,but hey,we can always keep the hope with us no matter what.

#140 Posted by bloggerboy (611 posts) - - Show Bio

These stats are really a microcosm of this whole New 52 initiative. DC needed to change the game, meaning that they should have changed the way comics are created from start to end or looked at the Superhero genre in a vastly different way (less spandex & more preacticality), and it was really business as usual.

The tweaks in the designs were minimal at best and Aquaman didn't even get a new suit. I think everyone expected that this is where they would be in a year. DC just didn't bring anything new to the world of comics.

But people hate change. Wonder Woman had the most changes done to her out of the Trinity and her book is the best of the three but sales-wise it's doing the worst.

#141 Posted by TAneT62 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't have a clue to why she doesn't sell as great as we expect, it's pretty unfathomable. Wonder Woman, said by a million other users, has been untreated poorly, no fairness in the game, not written as well as her fellow DC partners, and other propaganda that leaves us clueless. I really don't think those are the reasons her comics don't sell as well as Superman, Batman, and others. It may just be boredom with the same renditions on repeat with Wonder Woman, and when they try something new, not everyone favours the change. Her animated film was one of the biggest grossing films for DC, and that says something. I guess it'll all work out in time, if not, then their doing the wrong things with Wonder Woman, like they are now. But, her legendaryness will never cease to exist, she will remain one of DCs biggest superheroes, no, the worlds. ;)

#142 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (758 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll tell you what the real problem is. Right or wrong, historically Wonder Woman has been the gay people's title. The new 52 has sought to make her acceptable for straight male fans at the expense of her queer following.

The whole theme of empowerment for the disenfranchised (women, gays and other minorities) has been tossed out in favor of themes straight, white males can relate to. They include the problems of patriarchy and the power that comes from it, and a distrust for powerful women that reduces them to murdering, baby selling, man-hating feminazis. Not only that, these women have to be sexually aggressive, primitive and backwards so that they're not put on a pedestal and possibly seen as better than men. Plus, if they made Paradise Island an actual paradise, it may be thought to be too girly and repel the new fans they're trying to attract.

Then the book was flooded with as many male characters as possible so that guys reading it would have someone to relate to. Even though this is essentially a story about the Greek Pantheon, they reduced the role of Wonder Woman's patron goddesses by making Artemis a villain, Aphrodite a partially seen/ rarely used background character and dispensed with Athena all together.

Apparently you can't have too many women in the book, unless they're malevolent. If they're good, they compete with Wonder Woman and she's already a bit player in a large ensemble cast.

All this spits in the face of Wonder Woman's core fans and they've dropped the title. The new male fans are moving on to the next cool thing, after becoming bored with the slow pace of the story. That leaves Wonder Woman with dwindling sales numbers.

#143 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: This is a very interesting perspective and you've brought up some things that I have never considered before.

#144 Posted by WhineHaus (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: As a gay man, I must to respectfully disagree. I would consider myself a 'core' fan of Wonder Woman, yet I never followed her comics before. Comics in general were difficult for me to follow, because I felt as though I'd be jumping in mid-way, confused and without the ever-growing backstory. The New 52 gave me an opportunity to start fresh with a character I've always loved.

I find Azzarello's story compelling, and I love the cast of characters. I don't mind the amount of male characters, and the Greek-pantheon take is very fresh. Almost modernized, Wonder Woman's lore has been given a sense of style and grit that I really enjoy.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference, and as it should. To each his own. And while I don't speak for every gay man, I do speak for myself and many of my friends who enjoy the New 52 Wonder Woman. To me, it's great, and it'll keep my money.

#145 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@wwsource: Hey if you want to do this fan fiction, I´m writing a pretty cool story and could use some help.

#146 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Good points.

As for the gay male demographic, you have to look at gays in society over the decades not just today which makes the point about appealing to the struggles which gay males historically identified much more relatable when Diana was less a female superman and the theme and cast was more female driven. You know, when immortal amazons didn't need to rape and kill to keep up their populace and the woman had high respect and goals and more contributive goddesses involved in their lives.

WW used to represent being ok with bring strong but consistently compassionate and power through being the best by will and exercise NOT god blessed talents. She earned her title and weapons and strived to do feats as opposed to being granted power or having pantheon blood.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.