Wonder Woman New 52 Sales Figures

• 146 results
#1 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

I´ve been having this discussion with new readers to New 52 Wonder Woman, who seem to think Wonder Woman is selling better now than pre-crisis. Now I have difinitive proof she isn´t. As one users said to me, let the dollars vote, well here´s the results.

Wonder Woman posted a nice debut sales number and actually increased with the second issue. It appeared that DC might have actually figured out how to make Wonder Woman a strong seller with the New 52. Then things got ugly. Wonder Woman lost 21,385 readers between issue #2 and issue #4. The title then lost an additional 13,091 readers between issue #4 and issue #12. Given the rate of decline, Wonder Woman will probably settle into the low 40,000 unit range to the high 30,000 range during the course of the second year of the New 52.

These numbers have to be disappointing to DC as well. Part of the mission statement of the New 52 was to establish some of the other characters like Wonder Woman as pillars of the DCU and give them broader appeal. However, it appears that Wonder Woman will be posting similar sales numbers in the second year of the New 52 as she did in the year prior to the New 52 relaunch.

Heres the link with more interesting sales numbers for all you favorite heroes, whose selling, and whose not.

http://comicbookrevolution.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1270:dcs-new-52-sales-charts-low-performer-category&catid=58:rokk&Itemid=82

As an addition, I´d like to add this about the general business ethics of DC comics and how they are damaging there own potentially lucrative properties, through poor marketing and lack of respect for their fans.

Quoted from the same article about the New 52

"Next up is the Low Performer Category. This is the group that includes titles that are selling between 30,000-44,999 units per month. These are the titles that are not in danger of getting cancelled but certainly are not making DC happy with their sales numbers. These are the under-performing middle children who are simply getting by with the most minimal effort possible. Unfortunately for DC, they have more ongoing New 52 titles in this category than they do in any other category. Are these titles showing positive signs of growth or are they all stagnant or in danger of falling even further down the sales chart? Let's find out."

#2 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Any thoughts?

#3 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

She's sells fairly well considering her digital sales and tradeback sales .

She doesn't have to sell as well as Green Lanturn to be as important to DC Universe. It is how she is written that makes her important.Not how much she sells.

#4 Posted by telepathic666 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

She doesn't have to sell as well as Green Lanturn to be as important to DC Universe. It is how she is written that makes her important.Not how much she sells.

#5 Posted by Franchise1590 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow first post pretty much ends the thread.

Also she seems muuch more mature and intelligent in her solo book. Sometimes I wonder if it's set in the future or something.

#6 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

I like Wonder Woman a lot, but don't forget that DC is a business.

#7 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@moywar700 said:

I like Wonder Woman a lot, but don't forget that DC is a business.

Her book is nowhere in close of being in danger of cancellation.

I said Wonder Woman sells fairly well.

She had an animated film which outsold GL,Superman,Batman,and the Justice League.

She's also getting a graphic novel.If DC didn't think she can earn them money, then they wouldn't even have have it in works.

#8 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: @moywar700: The point I´m making, which I was trying to explain before is that DC have been pissing off the core fans of WW at a time when they needed them on board. This retcon of her origin has done more harm than good. she´s now selling about level to pre-crisis if not lower. Now this New 52 book is certainly interesting, but it should have been a seperate, maybe graphic novel, sold against Azzerrello´s name, while the direction the New 52 needed to take was to make sure they kept old readers while gaining new ones. At this they´ve stupendously failed. Wonder Woman is not some Greek Gods soap opera its supposed to be a superhero comic. They also need to get rid of the attitude that its their characters faults that they are not selling, that is a stupid way to think. WW has no agency, she´s a fictional character, if they want her to sell they have to aggressively push for it, in other media, to raise awareness of the character. The same goes for The Flash, Martian Manhunter or any number of great characters they have. If Marvel had have taken that attitude to The Hulk, 10 years ago, or just given up after the first hurdle with that terrible Ang Lee movie, he wouldn´t be in the position he is now, as one of their hottest properties. Even outselling Spider Man at the moment and closing in on Batman. Its that simple, hopefully the TV show will do some good, but my worry is people will watch the TV show, want to read a comic and find all these conflicting takes on WW, rather than some kick ass Graphic Novels and comic runs.

#9 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: Where have you seen that Wonder Woman has to be a super-hero comic? I don't remember seeing something say she has to be a super-hero comics.

Also, a point that you didn't bring up is that most of the characters in this New 52 sales fell after issue #1 and I bet Marvel NOWS sales will do the same.

#10 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@StarKiller809: I disagree I´ve been reading Marvel Now and they´ve been doing some great things with the characters. New fresh adventures, which are familiar enough for old readers to get on board, but also very enticing for new readers. And I like DC characters alot more. I also have mentioned in the original post that DC business ethics are bad, they have very little pride in their characters, and little respect for their readers. they are getting so far behind marvel because they are moving to slowly in promoting their other lucrative properties, such as The Flash etc outside of comics. Its true. I mean its to bad about Watchmen, but I bought the comic after watching the film, and I know it has a real cult following now. The only other thing they did was a really poor Green Lantern movie. When they saw the success of Iron Man and Thor, didn´t they think hey we need to start catching these guys up, because this is going to affect our whole corporate structure, i.e. comics, merchandise, toys. New 52 was a great gimmick, but they needed to back that up with a sound strategy, I think actually starting the stories from their origin with strong teams who loved the characters they were writing and wanted to take it in some interesting directions, would have been better. Kind of like what they´ve done with Earth One Graphic Novels. As it stands they´ve just made their superhero branch of stories into Vertigo style comics from what I´ve seen in order to get new readers, possibly at the expense of older ones. I´ve also stated about WW that Azzerrello´s story is good, and could have easily been part of launching some elseworld graphic novels, which would be great for DC, cause they sold really well. Kind of a what if, WW was actually the child of Zeus story, and exploring how somehow she still maintained her integrity and who she is. As it stands the project is not successful.

#11 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

These stats are really a microcosm of this whole New 52 initiative. DC needed to change the game, meaning that they should have changed the way comics are created from start to end or looked at the Superhero genre in a vastly different way (less spandex & more preacticality), and it was really business as usual.

The tweaks in the designs were minimal at best and Aquaman didn't even get a new suit. I think everyone expected that this is where they would be in a year. DC just didn't bring anything new to the world of comics.

#12 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: wonder woman will never be canceled because she is a woman and the most iconic female in comic world,so concidering that comic world is ruled by men and females almost never get as much atention as male characters,DC won't take the risk to be considered sexist by canceling the title of the most well recognized female in comics,which is the exception that proves the rule that females are nothing next to male characters,even though she still isn't as important as many male characters.

#13 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Those monthly sales figures look like most of the New 52 books.

#14 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion: new 52 was much noise and few results.

the thing is that every character can sell but you have to do the right promotion and marketing,wonder woman was a very good seller in the 40s and 50s because she was new and the first female hero with her own comic,she paid the way for many females;wonder woman was a very good seller in the 70s thanks to the lynda carter show,but what happended after that?,DC proved that they don't know how to be consistent with her and do the right things, they lost their way with her,in the late 70s they took away her powers,then they gave them back,they made a joke out of her rogue gallery,they gave her pants,then they took them away,now they make her zeus daugther,and we are still in a never ending road to limbo,they make it seem so hard to handle her character but it's not hard at all,they had great runs with perez,ruka,simone,but they never did anything,perez himself said that he was mad because DC doesn't give a shit about her,like if they think that she will sell even if they don't do anything for the character,her best selling runs weren't the best written,they were the runs that had hype(40s and 50s the first main female,70s lynda carter),they could have made her a successful comic seller with perez run,ruka run,simone run,but they just didn't do anything,then they ask why she dosn't sell and change her costume or her origin,but they don't realize that it's not the character,it's them.

#15 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

the thing is that every character can sell but you have to do the right promotion and marketing,wonder woman was a very good seller in the 40s and 50s because she was new and the first female hero with her own comic,she paid the way for many females;wonder woman was a very good seller in the 70s thanks to the lynda carter show,but what happended after that?,DC proved that they don't know how to be consistent with her and do the right things, they lost their way with her,in the late 70s they took away her powers,then they gave them back,they made a joke out of her rogue gallery,they gave her pants,then they took them away,now they make her zeus daugther,and we are still in a never ending road to limbo,they make it seem so hard to handle her character but it's not hard at all,they had great runs with perez,ruka,simone,but they never did anything,perez himself said that he was mad because DC doesn't give a shit about her,like if they think that she will sell even if they don't do anything for the character,her best selling runs weren't the best written,they were the runs that had hype(40s and 50s the first main female,70s lynda carter),they could have made her a successful comic seller with perez run,ruka run,simone run,but they just didn't do anything,then they ask why she dosn't sell and change her costume or her origin,but they don't realize that it's not the character,it's them.

Well said.

#16 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: I'm not quite sure why you think the New 52 hasn't been successful. Sales are up and for the most part, series are decent. DC gave Marvel a run for their money and in result we got Marvel NOW.

They got so much fresh ideas, please explain why the dedicated a series to Avengers Arena. We all know where that idea came from. Marvel NOW did launch some good series but I'm still confident that sales will fall from Issue #1 down just like the New 52.

DC Comics has been lacking in the film department and not putting more of the their characters on the big screen is a little off putting especially that Marvel has so much success. And whenever the Avengers came out, their sales may have risen little but didn't stay that way. Movies don't necessarily transfer to comic sales.

#17 Posted by tupiaz (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

If you look at the numbers in the article (haven't read it yet) then i is clear this isn't a WW problem but a problem for a lot of DC's titles. They a just finding their natural sales after the reboot and number 1 sales. As far as I know comic book owners still order 3 months ahead (correct if I'm wrong) therefore sales will drop as more readers drop the titles. A lot of people have seen the New 52 to try tings a lot and haven now gone a way from the titles they didn't want. As I see it,. This isn't a WW problem but a problem for the hole new 52. The first weeks of sales was very high now the just find the natural sales. Which is still as far as I know higher than before The new 52 so all in all still a success. i would also like to see how the TPBs sales are. maybe some have gone from floppy to trades and maybe more have been buying trades than before.

#18 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 :

These are some of her sales figures preceding the reboot

she was selling in high 20k and low 30k before the reboot and after the reboot she is at least selling at low to mid 40k.... so although not a grand success her new 52 reboot is far from a failure.

#19 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: it isn´t, and I´ve provided a link to show this. Also drops in sales of WW happened right after the origin change revelations, that can´t be a coincidence. There´s no point arguing, I´ve checked the figures on multiple sites, and the story stays the same, what there doing isn´t working; i´ve tried to read a few titles and to be honest, the direction hasn´t been very appealing. JL is the only one I´ll buy and I don´t even like that so much. Of course thats my personal opinion that´s why I put the figures up WW is not selling more than pre-crises thats fact. Only the first few issues were. It is clear that people wanted to get into New 52 and were willing to give it a chance on the back of how popular the superhero medium has become in other media, but DC hasn´t capitalised properly on that. If you compare it to the animated film department you will see the stark difference, as they´ve been giving people what they want. Marvel generally has come up with a better formula and imagine they´ll be strong numbers, maybe even diminishing but still strong and also when the paper backs come out for some of the titles with a lot of hype like the Indestructable hulk again we will see big numbers. My prediction. Added to that 4 movies coming out with in the next few years, merchandise, toys etc that go with that; well DC have more than catching up to do.

@StarKiller809: Movies raise public awareness of characters, but there have to be good comics out there fore people to buy once they´re sold on the character. Superman has that. The Flash, Wonder Woman etc not so much. That is what DC need for their iconic characters; I watched the animated film of WW and then became interested in her comics, having had no interest before. They are very lucky I came across Rucka, Simone and Perez, because after reading JMS ODYSSEY AND Azzerrello Blood, I was extremely confused, because I was looking mainly for modern origin stories of the character, I couldn´t find any. I´d almost given up before reading reviews on simone and rucka and perez. But the good solid runs of WW are few and far between, no events, no actual graphic novels in 70 years, hardly any elseworld comics, a scattered history of her villains (I was looking for a run with Ares as the main protagonist cause I liked him in the animated film) all the stories I found were collected issues on runs. Theres just nothing out there for someone new to the story. Same with Flash or anyone else who isn´t superman or batman. This is patently absurd, cause they are better characters than marvel, who you´ll find tons of stuff on anyone of the main avengers.

They need to streamline and give some cooporate structure to the characters, so as to provide an integral image of who these characters are. Then once they´ve done that, of course they can be more experimental. But as it stands they´re being experimental with WW before even tying down the basics, leaping before they crawl. As it stands now, if I become interested in any of there characters outside the main two, when I buy a comic I have 0 idea what I´m getting or what I´ll be reading. Blood was the perfect example of this.

#20 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent: Thats about the same, and correct me if I´m wrong but are those the infamous JMS issues. Obviously, its a tad bit higher because of the sales of the first issues, but its dropped to about the same and seems to be heading firmly in that direction. Added to that if you check where its at in terms of position and add inflation, as comic prices went up, its about the same. You have to remember that WW started her new 52 run in the top 12, you cannot call that a failed opportunity, people wanted to get into her, they didn´t.

#21 Posted by tupiaz (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: It isn't what? You link provide a lot of sales where all most all of the titles went down from around number 2-4. That means a lot of people either didn't like the comics or people bought number ones and tried some titles. DC most have expected a lot of readers would go a way their sales where trough the roof. Basivnly the comics have just found it's core readers after a reboot and number one sales. It isn't necessary because WW is written badly. In fact when you see the same tendencies with a lot of titles is accentually says the opposite. The numbers cloudzackvincent gave clearly shows that the reboot has been a success. By the was Hiketeia a pretty good success. Why it is OOP is beyond me.

#22 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: those are unit sales not dollar sales.... and i m not addressing the failed opportunity, i am arguing against the statement that many anti reboot people make about how it is a train wreck and sales are worse than before.

edit: also regarding ur point about the JMS issues, Wonder Woman's sales in 2010 and 2009 were even worse. they were in 20 k range

#23 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent: I did not say they are worse than before, but they are getting there, its really on the edge, and it is train wreck. But I respect your opinion and I get what you´re saying. I just think DC need to start thinking inside the box, rather than out. I think they started way too outside The box for their own good, actually look at the sales figures alot of titles selling well precrisis have taken an absolute battering including Green lantern corps, and you can´t tell me loosing core WW fans, pissing them off, having accusations about the company being misogynistic for how they are treating WW (an accusation I don´t agree with) is worth it for them. They could have tried to build upon the core readership. Even JMS´ run on WW was more true to her than this. There are so many ways they could have given WW a modern edge, she needed a cosmetic makeover not a facelift. sure creating a new character will get you some new readers, but if its at the cost of old ones you´ve got to admit you´ve made a mistake. My suggestion for them is to have another WW title with somewhat of a darker theme, market it, wait for say the CW program to come out call it "sensation comics" get writers who love the character and have read what her fans say are her best runs, let the writers be free, but give them a few guide lines, introduce her rogues, amplify or flesh out her origin, don´t change it etc etc, and mean while Azzerrello can continue his run on the character as kind of elseworld tale. If there´s still a core readership for that kind of stuff at the end of his run they could think about a title that covers the same themes. Meanwhile DC need to start Thinking "Birth Right" but for WW. Take her right back to the beginning, origin story, close to what Perez did, but obviously a modern take. Explore her motivations for wanting to leave paradise, how she reacts to a modern world, make steve trevor more relatable as well as her supporting cast, give her a cool villain and sales will come. If after that she doesn´t work, I will personally never complain about what DC does to WW, because then I will have to admit the problem is with the character, and as much as I like her other people just don´t. But until then I´m going to have to say D C potentially have a great character, and they are abusing the privilige. Honestly think Its what she needs, just like when Superman started feeling stilted they fleshed out his mythology, gave him more dimensions, gave him an indepth psychology and character, they didn´t just reinvent the wheel and piss off the fans that continued to love him. I know cause i was one of them.

#24 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: @cloudzackvincent: Yeah JMS got a lot of publicity cause of the wardrobe change, so his first few issues sold well. I get what your saying, although I´m pretty sure from what I checked before, some of her runs that didn´t even have that much publicity were doing more than 20000. She´s never been on the cancellation watch spectrum, so they had to be. 20K is in that range. <They had to be 30s or more, I´ll check again. Also, some of those books especially Ruckas have a bit of a cult following. They still sell today. So it could be said lack of publicity was at fault there. I´m sure if they used Rucka or Simones run with a New 52 publicity push it could have worked better than Azzerrello´s. But anyway I´m glad they want to take WW in a more mature direction, but I think loosing at least half your core audience is just too big of a gamble. I for one know many who read WW before and think the changes are not just in poor taste, but that the story is very lacking and is not really a ww story. They´ll always be people who aren´t happy, but the backlash has been huge. As I said I don´t think they should drop the title, that will end up causing more confusion, but I think they should market it as an elseworld one off WW story and just retell the old origin story but a more modern and mature version of it and start her new adventures from there. that way newbies won´t be confused and can get on board.

#25 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: i agree with ur statement about a new title which introduces her rogue gallery and supporting cast etc. However i like Azzarello's run and i wouldn't want it to become an elseworld. i would prefer it if they have something in the line of AC and Superman... however , i agree that the changes have been drastic and although i like them i understand why some people may not.

#26 Posted by tupiaz (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: Did you honestly believed that all of the new 52 books could have stay with those numbers they had in the beginning? That is naive. The sold better than they hadn't done for a long time outsold a lot of Marvel characters. Their sales is just about finding its core readers. 80 k + is simply not realistic to have on a bunch of titles. A lot of people bought a lot of comics the usually don't and stock with what the liked the most. Probably expanding their poll list for a couple of moths with a couple of titles. it was only new readers fresh from the street wanting to buy comics that went on with the new 52. A lot of people that don't read that much DC also tried it out.

#27 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: No, I never thought that would happen, but I think that is besides the point. I just don´t think WW is selling so well it justifies these massive changes and upsetting those who´ve stuck with her for a long time. I hope DC sees these figures and tries a fresh approach. They should keep this title as it seems to have some hardcore advocates, who love what Azzerrellos doing, but they shouldn´t do that at the expense of former fans. Heres something they haven´t tried in a long time, which I think will help them significantly: here it is: drum roll, BELIEVING IN THEIR PRODUCT outside Batman and Superman. So many of their characters are just begging for something really interesting to be done with them, by way of an event or graphic novels - we´ll see what WW Earth One is like, but considering they let go of Rucka who loved the character and went with Grant Morrison instead who claims he wants to "bring the sex back to WW" I´m not sure. Both are great writers, and I think they could have had both of them on seperate titles. God knows WW needs more Graphic Novels. Also considering Rucka did great numbers for Batwoman, I think again they really messed up there.

Although in your favour she´s in the top 10 digital sales this week, hasn´t been for a long time, but kudos for you point. I think its the Orion thing right?

#28 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

I can tell you that there was a huge result in my wallet . . . New 52 got me buying DC comics again, almost exclusively.

#29 Posted by tupiaz (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26:The book is up with 33% in sales so fare. If the can keep it at that it is pretty good and worth the reboot if you take a financial look at it. That DC is too focused on Superman and Batman we can agree on more diversity would be nice. Like I said before I don't get why Hiketeia is OOP and is not kept in print it was popular among fans and many new WW readers liked it was advice to read it. DC should keep it in print so people who don't read WW regular could get into the character. They even get a Batman in it as well so make more wants to buy it. I will still claim that this is more a general DC problem than a solo WW problem.

#30 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

I really didn't like Hiketeia. I've only liked Perez and Azzarello on Wonder Woman

#31 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion:i already told you why she doesn't sell now,she used to be a successful seller in the 40s,50s and 70s because those runs had hype,and they weren't the best writen runs,but had hype that made her get a wider audience,so you see it's not the character it's DC.

#32 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz:

#33 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@tupiaz:

Fantomah was the first female superhero...

Then Invisible Scarlet O'Neil (first female with her own title), followed by Black Widow (Claire Voyant), The Woman in Red, Lady Luck, Miss Fury, Phantom Lady, Black Cat, Miss Victory, and THEN Wonder Woman.

#34 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: i said first female with her own comic,and the female with the biggest impact.

#35 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@OutlawRenegade: i said first female with her own comic,and the female with the biggest impact.

Just pointing out she's not the first with her own comic. And the others paved the way for Wonder Woman.

#36 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: the others didn't pay the way for anything,wonder woman was the only one with real impact.

#37 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@OutlawRenegade: the others didn't pay the way for anything,wonder woman was the only one with real impact.

They motivated DC to create their own female superhero to compete with the others, so they hired Marston. #GoldenAgeHistory

Her creation--like that of all superheroes( other than maybe Superman)--was a business move.

#38 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: they did that because there wasn't any female with real impact,then came wonder woman the first female that had the biggest impact in comic world.

#39 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@OutlawRenegade: they did that because there wasn't any female with real impact,then came wonder woman the first female that had the biggest impact in comic world.

Lol, if you think the Golden Age of comics was about making an impact on the world, then you are pretty naive, man. It was the boom in the creation of superheroes because superheroes were selling--a lot like they are in movies today. Every publisher wanted a piece of the pie and they were ripping each other off and suing each other about properties all the time. Female superheroes were created to make money by broadening the appeal of superheroes to girls. DC created her to make money--not to change world. She is the tenth female superhero created to make money. She outlasted the others because the others' publishers all went out of business while DC did not. That's why Wonder Woman is still remembered today--that and her history as DC's first female superhero. If you can't get the truth from the facts, then I have nothing to say.

#EducateYourself

#I'mAWonderWomanFanToo

#40 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: you're the only one being naive,i didn't say that DC changed the world with wonder woman,there was other females before her,but wonder woman had the biggest impact of them all(popularity,sales),and she still has the biggest impact,even though they don't give a shit about her,and probably will never be as successful as most of the males like she was long ago.

#41 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@OutlawRenegade: you're the only one being naive,i didn't say that DC changed the world with wonder woman,there was other females before her,but wonder woman had the biggest impact of them all(popularity,sales),and she still has the biggest impact,even though they don't give a shit about her,and probably will never be as successful as most of the males like she was long ago.

If they don't give a **** about her then why is she part of the Trinity when higher selling characters (Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman) are not? Also DC promotes her much more than they promote Flash or Aquaman, yet those two titles outsell hers both pre and post-Flashpoint.

If she doesn't have a following with all of her Trinity promotion, then it's not DC's fault. Caucasian boys make up the vast majority of comic buyers, and they want to buy heroes who look like them. It's wish fulfillment. Most of them founnd Wonder Woman boring before Flashpoint--me included. Why would I read female Superman when I can just read Superman? Now that Azzarello and Johns are showing that she's more than just a perfect goody goody, I'm interested in her.

Furthermore, Warner creates cartoons and merchandise--not DC. So you can't say that DC isn't trying to respect her for the pillar of the DCU that she is. They do give a **** about her.

I'd be happy is even one Black character were treated as well as Wonder Woman. It looks like DC is trying to make Cyborg that guy.

#42 Posted by Aries2012 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: I agree with you and your comments. I adore this character and have been through multiple writers (Rucka, Byrne, Perez, Thomas, Conway, Giffen/DeMatteis, Heinberg), artists (Byrne, Perez, Hughes, Dodson, Delbo, Dillin) re-boots and interpretations of WW since the 70s. I've also read reprints of her 40's and 50's & 60's comics. Unfortunately, the current writing and artwork doesn't attract me enough to pay money for this latest iteration of WW (eek..sorry Brian and Cliff)

#43 Edited by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: There seems to be some trends there, most of their comics there dropped after the first few issues

Edit: Okay, that is the low list, there is also a Danger zone list and a deathwatch list, for ever poorer sales.

#44 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

she sells just fine and im sure her new tv show will boost her fame and sales up.

#45 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos: no,her current sales are a flop,her comic has turned into a boring arc without action,her superhero side is gone,she isn't a good fighter almost never show skills and seems a B-list character in her own comic,and looks like a cheap version of xena,that's why she'll keep being trash for the general audience in the years to come,don't worry,you'll get use to that just like i did,there isn't much hope for her,she's been lost in the limbo for too long.

#46 Edited by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@jobbernos: no,her current sales are a flop,her comic has turned into a boring arc without action,her superhero side is gone,she isn't a good fighter almost never show skills and seems a B-list character in her own comic,and looks like a cheap version of xena,that's why she'll keep being trash for the general audience in the years to come,don't worry,you'll get use to that just like i did,there isn't much hope for her,she's been lost in the limbo for too long.

Having read through all their articles, it looks like WW is the lowest on the justice league members, (but could not find AM on the list). Batman has 5 titles and they are all kicking A--! But in all honestly, comic sales are not that good.

#47 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: well isn't a surprise,just a new decade of flops for her,it's sad that comics don't know how to handle great female characters like wonder woman,sad but truth.

that's why mangas and animes kick their asess right now,they need to develop her properly,give her the right marketing and exposure,if not,she'll keep being a flop,while mangas take the spotlight,sesshomaru can tell you about it,lol,he knows how the unorthodox vision of females that comics have is the reason why they aren't successful as manga female characters like sailor moon,lina,etc.

#48 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: @gokuwarrior: @gokuwarrior said:

I think it is clear WW had a greater impact on girls than any other female superheroine proceeding her. I think probably because she was cleverly written and was written as being truly feminine.

#49 Posted by herrweis (435 posts) - - Show Bio

definately selling better than pre dcnu.and really until marvels new soft reboot she was selling better than most marvel titles.whats the point of this thread?

#50 Posted by Lucifer Morningstar (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion said:

These stats are really a microcosm of this whole New 52 initiative. DC needed to change the game, meaning that they should have changed the way comics are created from start to end or looked at the Superhero genre in a vastly different way (less spandex & more preacticality), and it was really business as usual.

The tweaks in the designs were minimal at best and Aquaman didn't even get a new suit. I think everyone expected that this is where they would be in a year. DC just didn't bring anything new to the world of comics.

This guy gets it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.