Wonder Woman Movie- Casting And Custom

#1 Edited by BladeStorke (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to ask you who do you think can play wonder woman and how to custom should look

my choice is gemma arterton and the custom looks something like that:

and it looks AMAZING

I don't know about you but I would see that movie

But what do you think, can she pull this off and if the custom should be like in the new 52 with the silver instead of the gold (I just prefer this style of suit)

#2 Edited by ItsDaveyJ (196 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like her as Wonder Woman. I just feel like she looks to... soft. Facially speaking. Like, I could see her playing a young WW in the 17-21 age range but I think that they should go a bit older and do a 23-28 age range. Roughly. Obviously different actresses look different ages so it isn't a "set in stone" thing for me... but Gemma just looks too young to me.

But yes, I prefer the silver and I think it make her look a bit less gaudy and "cartoon-y." So I think that silver can help bring a more muted tone to keep in line with the Batman and Superman films.

#3 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like the Injustice version. And if it didn't look cheap in a movie WW could look good in it.

#4 Posted by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsdaveyj: I just don't think she would have that awe inspiring, iconic look as Diana.

#5 Posted by BladeStorke (38 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsdaveyj and @lilben42: so who do you think should play her? (please dont say gina carano because she cant act)

I actually think she can be a great WW, see movies like:clash of the titans - hansel and gretel witch hunters - prince of persia

#6 Posted by TAneT62 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoever they pick, no one will be happy.

#7 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

@bladestorke: I agree about Gina Carano. Gemma could be good but... I don't know actresses always surprise me maybe she would be good. I really don't know who could play her. But I always thought Olivia Wilde would be a good choice.

#8 Edited by ItsDaveyJ (196 posts) - - Show Bio

@bladestorke Yeah I'm also on board the Olivia Wilde train. Maybe Bridget Regan though I'm not sure on her acting. Or another option I think could do well that nobody seems to be mentioning is Yvonne Strahovski. Just die the hair black and have her get in fighting shape and she'll be good to go. I think she's about 5' 9" too so she's close enough height wise.

#9 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11473 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing i have to say to Yvonne Strahovski and Olivia Wilde at any comic book casting!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Please, Yvonne Strahovski and Olivia Wilde are the biggest evidence TV fake stars that will never get to be anything bigger.

Wilde bombs at every try she makes, she has a super power bomb movies, so far her best box office is Tron 2 and that movie sucked, i mean they did everything in House M.D. to make her a star, even if that mean kicked Jennifer Morrison, Amber Tamblyn and others, heck the lack of chemistry she had with Hugh Laurie was amazing, i mean the guy made Leihgton Meester look like a great actress and look so great together years later a movie used them as a couple and he made her look amazing again, Morrison look better with him, so did Tamblyn and several ctresses during the show.

Yvonne Strahovski so far since Chuck, only did Dexter and most of people agree she was part of the worst Dexter season ever, besides her character was made to make her a huge star or show her acting, it failed.

Voice over, i mean that would mean Mark Hamill could play the Joker and Peter Weller Batman.

Please there is many damn actresses out there, Yvonne Strahovski and Oliivia Wilde arent that great, not only that you could find better actresses that would do as much stunts as they can and will go the extra mile.

#10 Posted by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

@tanet62: As long as the actress does a good performance then I'm good.

#11 Posted by dmessmer (367 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing to keep in mind is that they probably won't bring someone in whose primary work has been television. TV and movies are quite different and a lot of actors struggle to make the transition from one to the other. They'll want someone with proven movie experience.

#12 Edited by ItsDaveyJ (196 posts) - - Show Bio

If you guys really want an odd suggestion then here's one... Emily Blunt. She may not look exactly right for the part... she would need to bulk up and she stands at 5' 7" (which IMO can be solved by some killer boots) but she has proven acting talent and has been in several good films. My first gut reaction to this suggestion was no but after thinking about it she's growing on me. I'm just trying to come up with some ideas other than Gemma Arterton, Gina Carano, Megan Fox, etc.

@dmessmer said:

One thing to keep in mind is that they probably won't bring someone in whose primary work has been television. TV and movies are quite different and a lot of actors struggle to make the transition from one to the other. They'll want someone with proven movie experience.

I disagree. Marvel has pretty much taken up all the big names for their superhero movies and so DC will want someone with a little bit of recognition but CHEAP. So they most likely won't go after the big A-list star to play WW. Maybe they'll use big stars for the supporting cast but it is unlikely they will for WW herself.

@deathpoolthet1000

I haven't seen Yvonne for her TV performances but I thought she did fine in Mass Effect. So I figured the acting chops were there but maybe it doesn't translate to the tv screen. As for Olivia... I've seen her work and I think she does a decent job. Yeah she's been a in a lot of flop movies but so has Gemma Arterton and pretty much every other decent recommendation for WW. Besides, she was never the "star" of those movies so it remains to be seen if she can make the movie work as the lead rather than a supporting cast member. Olivia is still my first pick.

#13 Edited by BladeStorke (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Olivia wilde was my second choice after gemma but I wrote her because I think gemma could be a warrior princess with all the battle shouting and stuff

#14 Posted by dmessmer (367 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsdaveyj: Emily Blount is actually an intriguing suggestion - and she has actual acting chops, which is more important than anything else.

To clarify my comment about getting a movie actor rather than a TV actor - I'm not saying they have to get an A-list star. Henry Cavill, for instance, wasn't really A-list - I'd never heard of him until he got the role of Superman. But, he'd been in movies. One of the obstacles to bringing someone from TV, especially to play a superhero, is that TV actors come to be closely associated with their roles since we see them in those roles week after week, sometimes for years. That makes it hard for an audience to disassociate the character from the actor. Since superheros need to be iconic, it becomes harder to use someone who is already identified with a certain role. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's difficult.

I don't understand, though, why you think they'd want someone cheap. These things are expensive to make, and if plastering a well-known name on the movie posters will guarantee a box-office draw, the studios are going to do it. I'm not saying they'll go get Julia Roberts for $25 million, but the actor salaries will be a small portion of the overall budget even if they get someone with some name recognition (and there are plenty of those that Marvel hasn't already hired).

#15 Posted by ItsDaveyJ (196 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmessmer said:

@itsdaveyj: Emily Blount is actually an intriguing suggestion - and she has actual acting chops, which is more important than anything else.

To clarify my comment about getting a movie actor rather than a TV actor - I'm not saying they have to get an A-list star. Henry Cavill, for instance, wasn't really A-list - I'd never heard of him until he got the role of Superman. But, he'd been in movies. One of the obstacles to bringing someone from TV, especially to play a superhero, is that TV actors come to be closely associated with their roles since we see them in those roles week after week, sometimes for years. That makes it hard for an audience to disassociate the character from the actor. Since superheros need to be iconic, it becomes harder to use someone who is already identified with a certain role. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's difficult.

I don't understand, though, why you think they'd want someone cheap. These things are expensive to make, and if plastering a well-known name on the movie posters will guarantee a box-office draw, the studios are going to do it. I'm not saying they'll go get Julia Roberts for $25 million, but the actor salaries will be a small portion of the overall budget even if they get someone with some name recognition (and there are plenty of those that Marvel hasn't already hired).

Well that makes sense.

They would like someone cheap because if the movie doesn't work out... they would like to save money. Rather than pay Angelina Jolie 20 million for the role they would probably prefer to pay someone with a little name recognition for 2 million. Also, I think that they would like the a-listers to be supporting castmates for the same reason you mentioned above... Sometimes these big a-listers like Angelina Jolie eventually become their own identity and movies with them in it is more like "Angelina Jolie kicks ass. Angelina Jolie plays mother. Angelina Jolie plays drug addict." rather than being about the character. Look at what they did with Superman, Thor, Captain America, etc. These movies all used the strategy that I said. Get someone with a little name recognition to star, but use the big names as supporting members.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.