Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman Movie Box Office

• 87 results
    Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It may be early but screw it. Approx how much do you think the movie's gonna make? Maybe by summer 2017, if I still log on in this site, I can compare these guesses to how well it performed ha.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

A_Breen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By A_Breen

I'll be optimistic with this one, I think a wonder woman film will be a big deal, regardless of the film's quality. I'll say 300 Million in the US.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depending on how interesting the trailer will be, I would say around $100 million if it's good like other action trailers.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think we'd have a better idea if we had BvS or SS to go off of. I know MoS did great and even if DC sees a fall in numbers with the abundance of comic book related media and with a chance of BvS/SS doing poorly I do believe WW, given this is her first film, will do relatively well. I mean her animated film was well received so i imagine her live action would be too

so around the 300-400 range but if DC shapes up i think it could do even better

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At Best 400 to 500 mill total. Worst 100 to 200 mill. I think it will be 300 mill total worldwide.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At Best 400 to 500 mill total. Worst 100 to 200 mill. I think it will be 300 mill total worldwide.

i honestly think if they get it right, it could do 800-900 mil ww. but since i have no faith in dc/wb to do that, maybe 400 to 500 mil ww.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

500 mil is my bet! Could go higher.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a second note, that might be in the U.S. alone, well people are highly expectant when it comes to Women starring in action

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

On a second note, that might be in the U.S. alone, well people are highly expectant when it comes to Women starring in action

More or less impossible considering the only comic book movies to gross that much domestically are the first Avengers movie and The Dark Knight.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@saren said:
    @theblondegod said:

More or less impossible considering the only comic book movies to gross that much domestically are the first Avengers movie and The Dark Knight.

Wonder Woman is more popular than the Avengers and The Dark Knight combined, obviously. Don't be sexist.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Saren

If Gadot is well received in BvS, the movie could probably get $500-600 mil globally.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Superguy1591

Less than MoS, a lot less.

It's sandwiched in between Toy Story 4 and Despicable Me 3.

$350 worldwide, if it's lucky. WB is going to have to move it to Mid-March or Mid-August if it wants it to compete.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$350 worldwide, if it's lucky. WB is going to have to move it to Mid-March or Mid-August if it wants it to compete.

Yeah, with that kind of competition it's going to have a rough time.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends on how much marketing support WB puts behind the film ... I suspect it will be no more than $125M (US) unless WB throws a ton of support behind it ... the novelty of a big brand female hero will be a draw if they message it right in the advertising (i.e. get guys excited to see it), but realistically I'd be surprised if her solo film outperformed Thor or Captain America: First Avenger (both around $180M U.S.) ... but, assuming a good script, she should do at least as well as Green Lantern ($116M)

Notable female action films

Lucy $126M

Salt $118M

Tomb Raider $131M

*numbers from Box Office Mojo domestic figures ... I suspect WW to over-deliver in Global box office relative to the U.S. ... Lucy, Salt and Thor did much better in Global markets than in the US as a % of their total box office with 60-70% being outside of the US and I imagine WW will probably be the same.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By dshipp17

Not to be a bummer, but I think these numbers are very optimistic. If DC/WB is planning on doing something heavily in Greek Mythology, I think that approach is what's going to sink it. The numbers you're all citing is films like Dark Knight and Avengers. Greek Mythology is a small niche carved out of the superhero business. If DC/WB goes with the Greek Mythology, I see this netting something like the John Carter film in the domestic box office. Domestically, I think it could go as low as $36 million, like John Carter, up to about $130 million. Globally, the film may get in the range of $70 million up to around $275 million.

Two years is a while off and the focus in Greek Mythology may fade; the focus in Greek Mythology already seems to be tapering away. So, DC/WB will have that time to consider focusing on Wonder Woman's rogues gallery and Dr. Psycho. If DC/WB makes a decision to turn back to Wonder Woman's rogues' gallery and make the primary antagonist Dr. Psycho, even if they go with some type of villain team up, I think the results could be unpredictably positive. With that decision, I think the domestic numbers may get up to $270 to $390 million, pretty similar to Man of Steel, but, to hope for something like Dark Knight or Avengers numbers is a bit too optimistic. So, if the Greek Mythology fade has tapered off in two years and people have gotten tired of the Greek Mythology in two years time, but production is currently heavily focused in Greek Mythology, DC/WB could create a disaster similar to the Catwoman movie, although Wonder Woman is high profile enough to weather such a disaster and create domestic box office numbers in the $30 million to $70 million range. I'd be amazed if this film does well, if DC/WB decides to push forward with a heavy emphases in Greek Mythology. Thus, DC could either make Ares the main antagonist (or maybe Firstborn) for a Greek Mythology film or make Dr. Psycho the main antagonist for a film focused on her rogues gallery; along with Dr. Psycho, I'm sure DC/WB will find a way to include Cheetah, Giganta, Circe, or Silver Swan, but Dr. Psycho should be the main antagonist; perhaps Ares is manipulating Dr. Psycho and the team of rogues in the background.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully enough to get a sequel and break a glass ceiling

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

Not to be a bummer, but I think these numbers are very optimistic. If DC/WB is planning on doing something heavily in Greek Mythology, I think that approach is what's going to sink it. The numbers you're all citing is films like Dark Knight and Avengers. Greek Mythology is a small niche carved out of the superhero business. If DC/WB goes with the Greek Mythology, I see this netting something like the John Carter film in the domestic box office. Domestically, I think it could go as low as $36 million, like John Carter, up to about $130 million. Globally, the film may get in the range of $70 million up to around $275 million.

Two years is a while off and the focus in Greek Mythology may fade; the focus in Greek Mythology already seems to be tapering away. So, DC/WB will have that time to consider focusing on Wonder Woman's rogues gallery and Dr. Psycho. If DC/WB makes a decision to turn back to Wonder Woman's rogues' gallery and make the primary antagonist Dr. Psycho, even if they go with some type of villain team up, I think the results could be unpredictably positive. With that decision, I think the domestic numbers may get up to $270 to $390 million, pretty similar to Man of Steel, but, to hope for something like Dark Knight or Avengers numbers is a bit too optimistic. So, if the Greek Mythology fade has tapered off in two years and people have gotten tired of the Greek Mythology in two years time, but production is currently heavily focused in Greek Mythology, DC/WB could create a disaster similar to the Catwoman movie, although Wonder Woman is high profile enough to weather such a disaster and create domestic box office numbers in the $30 million to $70 million range. I'd be amazed if this film does well, if DC/WB decides to push forward with a heavy emphases in Greek Mythology. Thus, DC could either make Ares the main antagonist (or maybe Firstborn) for a Greek Mythology film or make Dr. Psycho the main antagonist for a film focused on her rogues gallery; along with Dr. Psycho, I'm sure DC/WB will find a way to include Cheetah, Giganta, Circe, or Silver Swan, but Dr. Psycho should be the main antagonist; perhaps Ares is manipulating Dr. Psycho and the team of rogues in the background.

No one gives a crap about Dr. Psycho outside of WW fans ... let's be real here, if they go with a non-Myth story he's not the best option for an action hero movie criminal ... Cheetah is probably the only major non-Myth based WW villain that general public audiences are going to even recognize and, to be blunt, the sexy-woman-beast angle is going to do more to attract male audiences than a misogynist vs. feminist agenda. Not to say they couldn't do something awesome with Psycho, but IMO that would be better for sequel territory.

I would be very surprised if her solo film produces more than $150M domestically ... unless there is a huge amount of hype coming out of BvS and a clear understanding that here solo film is critical viewing for future JL related films. I do think you are correct with the myth based film statments in terms of US domestic figures ... Hercules only grossed $72M domestically but it did $170M outside of the US so it obviously plays better to the international film audience, as did Thor.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dshipp17

@csg_cl said:
    @dshipp17 said:

No one gives a crap about Dr. Psycho outside of WW fans ... let's be real here, if they go with a non-Myth story he's not the best option for an action hero movie criminal ... Cheetah is probably the only major non-Myth based WW villain that general public audiences are going to even recognize and, to be blunt, the sexy-woman-beast angle is going to do more to attract male audiences than a misogynist vs. feminist agenda. Not to say they couldn't do something awesome with Psycho, but IMO that would be better for sequel territory.

I would be very surprised if her solo film produces more than $150M domestically ... unless there is a huge amount of hype coming out of BvS and a clear understanding that here solo film is critical viewing for future JL related films. I do think you are correct with the myth based film statments in terms of US domestic figures ... Hercules only grossed $72M domestically but it did $170M outside of the US so it obviously plays better to the international film audience, as did Thor.

I think we can make everyone give a crap about Dr. Psycho and I like the sexy-woman-beast angle will cause people to give a crap about Dr. Psycho, if done right; I hope those type of fans are brought in by making Dr. Psycho the main antagonist; than, some of the misogynist vs. misandry stuff can be added to help clarify the picture; I think that's the perfect flavor, because, although it's not commonly used, it generally proves to be highly successful when it is used; this will bring in a lasting and loyal new Wonder Woman fan base, and I was attracted to Wonder Woman because I thought that angle was there in relation to Wonder Woman; characters like Steve Trevor tends to repel me and those type of fans. To help, we can bring in the likes of Cheetah and Giganta, if only because the public will vaguely recognized them as being associate with Wonder Woman; if we go with this flavor, I think we may be pleasantly surprised by the eventual outcome. It's finally time to see what Dr. Psycho can do for Wonder Woman.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CSG_CL

@dshipp17 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @dshipp17 said:

I think we can make everyone give a crap about Dr. Psycho and I like the sexy-woman-beast angle will cause people to give a crap about Dr. Psycho, if done right; I hope those type of fans are brought in by making Dr. Psycho the main antagonist; than, some of the misogynist vs. misandry stuff can be added to help clarify the picture; I think that's the perfect flavor, because, although it's not commonly used, it generally proves to be highly successful when it is used; this will bring in a lasting and loyal new Wonder Woman fan base, and I was attracted to Wonder Woman because I thought that angle was there in relation to Wonder Woman; characters like Steve Trevor tends to repel me and those type of fans. To help, we can bring in the likes of Cheetah and Giganta, if only because the public will vaguely recognized them as being associate with Wonder Woman; if we go with this flavor, I think we may be pleasantly surprised by the eventual outcome. It's finally time to see what Dr. Psycho can do for Wonder Woman.

I kind of feel like Dr. Psycho runs too much risk of being like Parallax in the GL movie. And there is the question of how they want to position her in the DCCU, it already sounds like Warrior Woman is the direction they are going with her so I suspect we'll get a more physical villain in her solo film.

Avatar image for marcus_halberstram
    Marcus_Halberstram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$400-450 million globally

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

depends on how much marketing support WB puts behind the film ... I suspect it will be no more than $125M (US) unless WB throws a ton of support behind it ... the novelty of a big brand female hero will be a draw if they message it right in the advertising (i.e. get guys excited to see it), but realistically I'd be surprised if her solo film outperformed Thor or Captain America: First Avenger (both around $180M U.S.) ... but, assuming a good script, she should do at least as well as Green Lantern ($116M)

Lucy $126M

Salt $118M

Tomb Raider $131M

*numbers from Box Office Mojo domestic figures ... I suspect WW to over-deliver in Global box office relative to the U.S. ... Lucy, Salt and Thor did much better in Global markets than in the US as a % of their total box office with 60-70% being outside of the US and I imagine WW will probably be the same.

I disagree that it won't do as well as Thor, or Captain America. Sure traditionally female lead movies don't do as well, but this is Wonder Woman we're talking about. She's more iconic then Thor, and Captain America combined when their respective movies came out. She might still be lucky to break 200 domestically, or 300 foreign, but I still think she'll beat Thor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

500 mil. If she is well received in BVS. Its gonna attract a whole lot of women I'm sure.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jayc1324 said:

500 mil. If she is well received in BVS. Its gonna attract a whole lot of women I'm sure.

or more.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Enough to get a sequel. But it all hinges on

@saren said:

If Gadot is well received in BvS, the movie could probably get $500-600 mil globally.

This

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Lucy $126M

Salt $118M

Tomb Raider $131M

I disagree that it won't do as well as Thor, or Captain America. Sure traditionally female lead movies don't do as well, but this is Wonder Woman we're talking about. She's more iconic then Thor, and Captain America combined when their respective movies came out. She might still be lucky to break 200 domestically, or 300 foreign, but I still think she'll beat Thor.

I think that you are being VERY optimistic ... I hope you are right! Her icon status works against her as much as for her IMO ... it carries a lot of baggage that has potential to alienate men if they think it's just going to be a "feminazi" movie. I'm not trying to be negative here, but I think realistically her success will be massively based on how the marketing goes.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Superguy1591

@agent41: The week before it comes out = Toy Story 4. The week after it comes out = Despicable Me 3.

500M is a pipe dream.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@agent41: While it's possible, chances are slim honestly. Even with a well promoted movie, competition can still beat it. Why else do you think WB's pushed the release date for BvS earlier as opposed to having it directly compete with Captain America?

That said, by no means am I saying that the movie being sucessful is out of the question. It's just that tough competition like that may make it lose profit, especially with the titles that it's going up against. Scratch that, the only way it will make a decent sum is if Gadot get's her shizzle together and her performance is well recieved in BvS.

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CSG_CL

@saint_sophie: on global numbers 400-500M isn't a ridiculous feat. She's likely going to perform better outside of the U.S. On a % of total metric (I'd bet she'll hit 60-70% of total outside of U.S.). If she hits a domestic number around $150M it's likely she'll hit 400-500M total global box office. Roughly where Thor landed. Mind you that is dependent on a lot of variables

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie:

Wonder Woman has a broad appeal vastly surpassing that of anyone outside Batman/Superman. In particular female protagonists do better at the box office than men because women make more decisions about movies seen per household. Even outside iconic characters like WW, Frozen was a huge success with no male leads at all because despite what Hollywood execs believe, boys and men will watch movies with female protagonists, even if they say otherwise when surveyed.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie:

Wonder Woman has a broad appeal vastly surpassing that of anyone outside Batman/Superman. In particular female protagonists do better at the box office than men because women make more decisions about movies seen per household. Even outside iconic characters like WW, Frozen was a huge success with no male leads at all because despite what Hollywood execs believe, boys and men will watch movies with female protagonists, even if they say otherwise when surveyed.

You act like I'm saying that Wonder Woman being a female protagonist is gonna affect her movie's movie box office gross. I just said that the fact that her movie is wedged in with Toy Story and Despicable Me makes me feel that Wonder Woman's in for some competition.

I also added that Gadot's performance is one to watch as well. People were riled up when Gadot was casted. Now say Gadot's performance is panned or viewed in a negative light for people, well..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Namasthetu

@saint_sophie:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make that implication at all about your comments. It was more that I think people underestimate the trend in movie viewership because they don't look at the statistics. Female centered movies frequently perform above expectations. Toy Story and Despicable Me will get some great crowds, but a female protagonist film wedged in will have some real potential, especially since it will be people my age (35) taking their kids to see it. WW has a huge fan base in our age group and we grew up on comics too. I will be taking my wife and our three boys to see it for sure.

Will it be subject to reviews and such, yeah. A lot of people didn't see MoS or take kids because of the ending. Personally I could have done without the rest of the 45 minutes or so of nauseatingly boring "action" and Jesus metaphors but loved the very last bit where he kills Zod, because that is one of the few challenges Superman faces. If WW is filled with so much action that you start to get bored with it, then yeah it won't do as well as it could (but will still do well). If it surpasses MoS in edited structure (not a huge feat) then it will do fantastic, if only through persistent play as opposed to opening box office.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it depends on how Gadot does in BVS. I think the hype for the first solo Wonder Woman movie will be pretty big regardless though.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people like her in BvS, I'll say 500-600 million. WB are not stupid they won't put WW against Toy Story, that's Suicide.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends too much on marketing.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jphulk26

@namasthetu said:

@saint_sophie:

You act like I'm saying that Wonder Woman being a female protagonist is gonna affect her movie's movie box office gross. I just said that the fact that her movie is wedged in with Toy Story and Despicable Me makes me feel that Wonder Woman's in for some competition.

I also added that Gadot's performance is one to watch as well. People were riled up when Gadot was casted. Now say Gadot's performance is panned or viewed in a negative light for people, well..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

They´re going to back off from that release date. Delay it by a year. I bet. I think depending on how Batman vs Superman goes, will depend how ww does in the box-office.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: @agent41: I'm not saying the $400-500 mil mark isn't impossible.. but yes I can see it reaching that. Don't most movies make most of their income outside the US though?

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CSG_CL

@saint_sophie: US usually represents at least 30% of revenue for most major films. Tends to skew closer to 40 or 50% for US centric films ... Dark Knight was about 50/50 and Avengers was about 40/60 ... Given that most of the big blockbusters are driven by the U.S. Film makers from typically US centric source material and take place in U.S. Cities it's not shocking that revenue typically indexes very high as a % of total. Movies like Star Wara, Hunger Games and Spider-Man all had around 50% coming from the US while films such as Avatar, Titanic and the Harry Potter movies were more global. WW, assuming it's not a WW2 period piece centered on the U.S. Will likely do better Internationally.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If were lucky it might top a hundred mil domestic.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

500 million +

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol. Laughing my ass off

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this thread. So many people missed by a mie and a couple of freakishly accurate guesses

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this thread. So many people missed by a mie and a couple of freakishly accurate guesses

Few people seemed to of got it right. Of course it helped they didn't butcher the character.

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@dshipp17: @crimsonlord53: @farron-croft: @csg_cl: How much things changed!.

right? The film is still going strong, and the international box office is climbing up quickly now ... she could be topping $800M ... blowing away any projection I saw

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.