Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman is IGN's Best Comic Book Series of 2013

• 66 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

As well as being nominated for several other categories in IGN's awards, Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman series was the number one choice for IGN's favourite comic series of 2013 (The people's choice was Batman, go figure on that one.) Here's what the link has to say:

"Wonder Woman has been one of the best of DC’s books since the inception of the New 52, but 2013 is when the series broke free from the pack. It refused to do things so many other mainstream comics do. It didn’t crossover with other books. It never changed course to take part in an event. Wonder Woman’s characterization wasn’t altered to fit the more boisterous version in Justice League. Simply put, writer Brian Azzarello and artists Cliff Chiang, Matthew Wilson, Tony Akins, and Goran Sudzuka were allowed to stick to their guns, and it paid off magnificently. Wonder Woman’s “War” storyline is as epic as the gods it features. After a touching origin tale where we learned about Wonder Woman’s childhood training by Ares, the God of War, she went on a harrowing quest to stop the deadly First Born. She had help from one of the strangest supporting casts in comics: a human Hera, Zola and her baby, Orion of the New Gods, and a dude made of rock. It had bone-crushing fight scenes that were gorgeously rendered, stone cold drama with flashes of warm humor, and one of the most poetic conclusions in recent memory. Heart, humor, and hard knocks aplenty, all under the banner of one of those females they always say can’t sell comic books. There just aren’t any other comics on the stands as entertaining, consistent, and epic as Wonder Woman, and that’s why it’s the clear winner for the best series of 2013."

As a big fan of Wonder Woman and of Azzarello's run, I couldn't be more pleased with this news nor agree more with the analysis. Wonder Woman has also been my consistently favourite series of 2013 with the last arc being the most brilliant story with well rounded versatility to all aspects of it. Every issue is a true joy to read and the art is unique amongst its competition.

So do you think IGN made the right choice here? Or is Azzarello's run not one of the best of 2013? Share your thoughts and discuss below.

No Caption Provided

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

It's not my number one, but it is definitely one of the best books of the year. Glad that it's getting love

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's pretty cool. Kinda hope that leads to more sales for it.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jphulk26

Then IGN have lost their mind. But then again all New 52 sucks, so maybe they´re just saying WW is least terrible which I can understand. The only New 52 I´ve enjoyed is Flash 0 and Shazam graphic novel which kicks the ass of anything produced last year. its what comic books should be.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of all tHe series, of all tHe series IGN picks Wonder Woman. Well, can't be angry at someone for forming an opinion. Hell tHey said Iron Man 3 was tHe best Super Hero movie. MetH knows many users get angry about tHat.

June'sVeryOwn

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people didn´t vote for ww, they voted batman. the ign peoples award that is.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Wonder Woman is awesome, glad to see it being recognized.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Oddly enough I agree with them! :)

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman got people's choice award and WW got critic's award.

At this moment everything makes sense on Earth.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lvenger

@jphulk26: Funny how the subjective opinions people have on Wonder Woman mean they've 'lost their mind' regarding Azzarello's Wonder Woman when a lot of critics and fans have praised the series to no end. How funny indeed...

@toplel QFT, couldn't agree more.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By cameron83

I agree on all counts

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jphulk26

@lvenger: Well its kind of like the same lunacy that leads people to say MoS is the best CBM ever and the definitive Superman movie I guess.

Bandwagoning sheep, bleating the same absurd statement, in defense of how appalled the majority are at an underwhelming product that they for some bizarre reason enjoy. New for the news sake, the same dark, brooding, humorless, soulless, nonsensical, drival that passes for good storytelling these days. That most writers of previous generations would laugh at for how mediocre it is. Added to that so many independent comic series are far superior than anything in the New 52, which makes it even more absurd that IGN awarded it. Plus there are more popular and critically acclaimed books come from both publishing houses. But hey Azz wrote it so it must be genius.

This may well be a good book, but like MOS is a bad superman movie, new 52 wonder woman is a bad wonder woman story.

IGN Review of Man Of Steel "overall Man of Steel is a grand achievement. Man of Steel makes you happy and excited to be a Superman fan again. It is indeed the Superman film you’ve long wanted."

Yep that pretty much just undermined anything they have to say with regard taste in the superhero genre.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I do not agree with WW being the best (over Saga, really?) but its a good book.

Green Arrow and Aquaman didn't even get nominated? In ANY category? Come on.

Also Death in the Family got nominated for best arc? LOL

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Look, unless whoever writing the review has read what Wonder Woman was, I take this newly gained infatuation that some have with New 52 Wonder Woman with a pinch of salt. I honestly hope you Continue to enjoy the series.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

WW is definitely one of the best books DC has

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jphulk26

@toplel said:

@lvenger: Now only if quality translated into sales.

@jphulk26: Their points on why WW is a good comic still stands. Sure, MoS was crap, but IGN's point doesn't undermine anything else, especially since different people probably reviewed the comic and the movie. And they're not really wrong; a lot of Superman 'fans' are happy and excited.

The site gave MOS an aggregate rating of 8/10. I really don´t take the site that seriously. But lets not argue, as I said to someone above, enjoy.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Incorrect. Aquaman is the best book of DC.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did you think of Shazam graphic novel? I thought it was excellent.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would have been a good candidate truth be told but Wonder Woman has done something unique and fresh in its renovations. But both are successful for the same reasons, both were perfect for clean slate status quos prior to the New 52. Brightest Day paved the way for Johns' Aquaman series whilst the god awful and utterly disgraceful (and I like most of JMS' writing) Odyssey made Azzarello's Wonder Woman run possible.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lifeofvibe

correct ww purist can rant all they want you just cant deny good writing this may not be wonder woman but it sure as hell is good writing also aquaman when you think about it, ign are sort of being hipocrites when it comes to how well they have reviewed it

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

I don't read saga (at least not in magazines form) I tried reading the trade (the 1 one) but I found it had so much weird crap in it didn't grab me and then I found all the reviews for it apparently it was good so I forced myself to read it still didn't like it and I still wonder why people like it, its just a bunch of crap...

real reason im commenting towards you saga got nominated and won a bunch of other things

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman isn't my favorite book but I am really glad IGN is spot lighting this. Wonder Woman needs more publicity because she deserves it and Brian has created a story that both male and female readers can enjoy with pride. It's not just some "oh you're reading a book featuring a girl, HA!" it's more of "Holy crap Wonder Woman is pounding the crap out of multiple Gods, that is AWESOME!" type thing. I do think Azzarello has brought a new life into the character and for that, it deserves the best slot.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

I don't read saga (at least not in magazines form) I tried reading the trade (the 1 one) but I found it had so much weird crap in it didn't grab me and then I found all the reviews for it apparently it was good so I forced myself to read it still didn't like it and I still wonder why people like it, its just a bunch of crap...

real reason im commenting towards you saga got nominated and won a bunch of other things

I disagree with everything you said.

And? I didn't say it didn't get nominated. I said Green Arrow and Aquaman didn't get a single nomination and both deserved to. Especially over Batman (and Daredevil imo, but they probably wanted to include at least 1 Marvel title)

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@jphulk26: Yeah Shazam was cool. But my loyalty remains with the King of Atlantis.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ill wait for the trade. i have been meaning to start reading wonder woman

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#29  Edited By Outside_85

ill wait for the trade. i have been meaning to start reading wonder woman

There's 3 volumes out now :)

ItsDaveyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ItsDaveyJ

I don't think I would have selected it as the BEST comic book of 2013 but I'm certainly glad it is getting that recognition. I have issues with some of the pacing of the book and for me that warrants not earning 1st place but as a Wonder Woman fan I am ecstatic she is getting critical praise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I have heard Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman have been the best solo titles. Not entirely sure this is true or not as I've only read 6 Issues of Aquaman (5 of which were fantastic) I guess I could try getting into Wonder Woman.

@jphulk26 said:

@lvenger: Well its kind of like the same lunacy that leads people to say MoS is the best CBM ever and the definitive Superman movie I guess.

Bandwagoning sheep, bleating the same absurd statement, in defense of how appalled the majority are at an underwhelming product that they for some bizarre reason enjoy. New for the news sake, the same dark, brooding, humorless, soulless, nonsensical, drival that passes for good storytelling these days. That most writers of previous generations would laugh at for how mediocre it is. Added to that so many independent comic series are far superior than anything in the New 52, which makes it even more absurd that IGN awarded it. Plus there are more popular and critically acclaimed books come from both publishing houses. But hey Azz wrote it so it must be genius.

This may well be a good book, but like MOS is a bad superman movie, new 52 wonder woman is a bad wonder woman story.

IGN Review of Man Of Steel "overall Man of Steel is a grand achievement. Man of Steel makes you happy and excited to be a Superman fan again. It is indeed the Superman film you’ve long wanted."

Yep that pretty much just undermined anything they have to say with regard taste in the superhero genre.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EnigmaLantern

I do not agree with WW being the best (over Saga, really?) but its a good book.

Green Arrow and Aquaman didn't even get nominated? In ANY category? Come on.

Also Death in the Family got nominated for best arc? LOL

First off, I'm happy for all WW fans, I haven't read WW yet but I've heard its good and I do like when books which aren't majorly popular get praise and recognition for the right reasons.

Secondly, what the hell is everyones problem with Death of the Family? I thought it was a very well executed story, slightly better than the previous two Cout of Owls volumes of the new 52 Batman series.

Anyway, going a bit off track here, congrats again to WW, I hope the title continues its positive momentum throughout this year, for the sake of the book and its fans.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@enigmalantern: It wasn't that well executed actually, it pretty much failed at the climax, because nothing significant happened.

The Owls stuff was much better.

Also - opinions. You're free to think whatever you want.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Still, I highly enjoyed the method as well as the way Joker went about things. But I don't have anything to compare this arc involvging the Joker to, so yeah.

Yes I highly agree, it's all opinions at the end of the day ^.^

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Still, I highly enjoyed the method as well as the way Joker went about things. But I don't have anything to compare this arc involvging the Joker to, so yeah.

I did too. And if there had been any actual consequences (instead of the Bat-family having a minor falling out, which we all know happens a lot and they always come back together anyway) I'd have liked it.

I'm pretty sure it was hyped up to be the next Killing Joke too, which is a far superior story imo.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SilverPool
    @fallschirmjager said:

@enigmalantern said:

I did too. And if there had been any actual consequences (instead of the Bat-family having a minor falling out, which we all know happens a lot and they always come back together anyway) I'd have liked it.

I'm pretty sure it was hyped up to be the next Killing Joke too, which is a far superior story imo.

I've never understood the praise for Killing Joke. I think it's good, but I don't see what's so amazing about it.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

congrats

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By TDK_1997

Wonder Woman deserves respect but in my opinion it ain't the best book out there.It has been one of the best and most consistent books that DC has to offer and the comic book market as a whole but there are far better books that it.But on another note IGN has never really shown any good taste or good listings for stuff like that.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By PeppeyHare

@fallschirmjager: I think DOTF would have had a way bigger effect if Morrison hadn't killed Damian right after. Like at the end of DOTF they make it seem like the bat family is completely broken up and want nothing to do with Bruce, but then they're teaming up with him like a month later in Batman and _ . It was just meh

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I think DOTF would have had a way bigger effect if Morrison hadn't killed Damian right after. Like at the end of DOTF they make it seem like the bat family is completely broken up and want nothing to do with Bruce, but then they're teaming up with him like a month later in Batman and _ . It was just meh

Yeah. That too.

It also doesn't help for me personally, that I don't particular care for any of the sidekicks.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not even a fan of Wonder Woman but due to Azz writing it I picked it up and I ended up loving it. It's funny though, on IGN fan's choice was Snyder's Batman along with best story arc "Death of the Family and best writer Snyder. I love Batman but lets be honest WW book is far better than Snyder's Batman right now.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Okay maybe I should read Wonder Woman. Shame on Aquaman not getting nominated, seriously its awesome!

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lyrafay said:

Okay maybe I should read Wonder Woman. Shame on Aquaman not getting nominated, seriously its awesome!

You really should.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman isn't my favorite book but I am really glad IGN is spot lighting this. Wonder Woman needs more publicity because she deserves it and Brian has created a story that both male and female readers can enjoy with pride. It's not just some "oh you're reading a book featuring a girl, HA!" it's more of "Holy crap Wonder Woman is pounding the crap out of multiple Gods, that is AWESOME!" type thing. I do think Azzarello has brought a new life into the character and for that, it deserves the best slot.

she hasn't been pounding the crap out of nobody except artemis,if you think her fights in the new 52 make her look badass,then we are in trouble,diana USED to be badass,BUT NOT ANYMORE.

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By r2datu

Good choice, it's easily the most consistently good book out of the new 52.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

...its all about opinions I guess. I cant agree with the guy who says Man of Steel is a bad superman movie, but its his opinion. I am glad WW has won this award. My personal favourite has been the Flash, but I really am tempted to give WW a go, as she is such an iconic character who needs a boost right now. DC/Marvel world is pretty chauvinistic at times, hence why all of the top tier characters who have been featured in a movie have been males.

Hunger Games shows us that features with a female lead can be very successful!

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

as much as i love batman, it wasn't as good as what it was in 2011 and 2012.

Even saying that i wouldn't have given to wonder woman (probably 3rd)

So my series of 2013 were in no order.

Green Arrow

Hawkeye

Batman

Wonder Woman

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as much as i love batman, it wasn't as good as what it was in 2011 and 2012.

Even saying that i wouldn't have given to wonder woman (probably 3rd)

So my series of 2013 were in no order.

Green Arrow

Hawkeye

Batman

Wonder Woman

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

No Caption Provided

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice has been done.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.