Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

wonder woman is a period piece set in ww1??

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

The Collinder Crew seem pretty sure of themselves. I´ll give this a chance, but personally I hate it. Wonder Woman should be set in the modern era, to make her feel relevent, period. (No pun intended) It´s like they´re almost admitting her mythology is old fashioned somehow and can only really function in some antiquated setting. I also hate the idea of this film being simply some "feminist" piece, where Wonder Woman´s main villain is a now old-fashioned prejudices and attitudes to women. Literally, that is the idea. WW fights in ww1 against sexist perceptions of women. Are they for real? As if women don´t have problems now, that wonder woman would be better suited to comment on if she is to be accepted by movie audiences as contemporary.

Honestly it might be good, but I bet the fact it´s period will hurt this movie. Thoughts?

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Archizooom

For me the most troubling bit is that millions of innocent people would've died on Wonder Woman's watch. Ares would certainly be behind it but no matter the circumstances, I think it wouldn't show Wonder Woman to good advantage. And if the movie goes into feminism, I think that'll be a very big mistake, if they even touch upon it. I don't think they'll go there though. Also what would this mean for Chris Pine, maybe he'll get a show on the CW - "DC's Agent Trevor" while Wonder Woman winds up with Superman in the dccu. Schnepp was like "well if Superman x Lois doesn't resonate with the audience they'll betroth Wonder Woman to Superman or something" [against her will, she doesn't have a say]

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if Paula Von Gunther was the Villain.

Beata

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I am really not fussed about what era the story takes place in. As long as they have a good story to tell, and that Wonder Woman is treated right (in regards to character motivations, I don't really care about power level and stuff) I am generally happy.

Given we have such big names working behind the scene for the Wonder Woman movie, I am pretty hopeful it will be amazing. Fingers crossed.

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait how do we know wonder woman will be a period piece anything official yet ?

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: While I do not disagree with anything you've mentioned there, friend, I am a bit unsure to why that would matter. If Wonder Woman was destined to only stay in the past forever that's one story. That does not appear to be the case as we will be seeing Wonder Woman in modern times during Batman v Superman.

Her being a part of World War 1 does not really bother me because the time frame should not really be consequential. What should be, is her character, her motivations, what drives her, what gets her mad, what makes her happy, what is she willing to die for etc. I suppose we are different people and likewise have different preferences, its only natural I suppose. To me the essence of a good movie, is a decent plot and a good compelling character. I personally, dont see why the movie being set in the past would affect either of those, so I am not really concerned.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Archizooom

@agent41 said:

@brunnhilde: Feminism is not a bad thing.

No, at least not on paper, but it's a very polarizing subject so it's best to steer clear of it. Ms. Magazine which Wonder Woman covered in their inaugural issue was funded by the CIA though, doesn't that give you pause

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

tbh her best stories are during marston's run or at least some of them

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Since this rumor doesnt seem to go anywhere Im guessing it will be a period piece. I mean why doesnt this rumor die already? Who wants a Wonder Woman period piece as her first film?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think many of you miss my point here. You are all talking about personal preference an how you are open-minded with regards to when the story is set as long as it´s a good story. I agree. I´m watching WW in cinemas, no matter what happens. But that isn´t the point, I´m talking about the perception general audiences will have if the movie and consequently since this wonder woman´s first feature film outing, what is the perception audiences will have of wonder woman herself.

If one sets wonder woman and all her supporting cast in in the 1910´s, the automatic perception is going to be, well wonder woman is kind of like Captain America i.e. her story is necessarily bound to the 1910-20s. (Funnily the first wonder woman comic is actually set in ww2, so it´s kind of amusing wonder woman film will be set before then)

It is a fact that General Audiences in nearly every genre of movie are put off by period pieces. In comicbook movies this has been particuarly apparent. So whether you are okay with it or not is irrelivent, General Audiences may not give the film a chance whether it´s good or not. I think since this is wonder woman´s first outing she should be given as much of fighting chance as possible.

For me the most troubling bit is that millions of innocent people would've died on Wonder Woman's watch. Ares would certainly be behind it but no matter the circumstances, I think it wouldn't show Wonder Woman to good advantage. And if the movie goes into feminism, I think that'll be a very big mistake, if they even touch upon it. I don't think they'll go there though. Also what would this mean for Chris Pine, maybe he'll get a show on the CW - "DC's Agent Trevor" while Wonder Woman winds up with Superman in the dccu. Schnepp was like "well if Superman x Lois doesn't resonate with the audience they'll betroth Wonder Woman to Superman or something" [against her will, she doesn't have a say]

I concur with everything you said here. Why would wonder woman have let the halocaust happen? Just one of many unanswered questions that will leave audiences ambivilent towards her, and seeing her as some inhuman, monstorous diety who cares nothing for humanity. This isn´t like Captain America who one can understand that because of his limitations power-wise it would be very difficult for him to stop ww2 single-handedly; wonder woman is incrediblly powerful and if she can withstand blows from Doomsday, it stands to reason that the entire Nazi army would likely be nothing but ants to her.

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please GOD let there be a proper badass villan !!!!!!!!!!!!!! there has to be a big bad that should go up against wonder woman ! i don't mind Amazons vs Evil Army that should be there too ! Like Wonder Woman 2009 animation movie !

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Archizooom

@jphulk26: Maybe she's not "incredibly powerful" in the dceu, maybe DC/WB thought they had a glut of heavyweights and did something about it, like nerfing WW to Captain America's level. Could Captain America hold his own against Doomsday? in the comics, no, but in the movies I think he could. The rumours have it that Wonder Woman cut off his hand, that's not very impressive is it. She's going in with a sword but we know she's not gonna slay Doomsday, she'll probably just hold him off until Superman can get there and THUMP! WHAAM! POW! Plus with all likelihood Batman knows about Wonder Woman yet she doesn't concern him the way Superman does. We'll have to wait and see though

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Maybe she's not "incredibly powerful" in the dceu, maybe DC/WB thought they had a glut of heavyweights and did something about it, like nerfing WW to Captain America's level. Could Captain America hold his own against Doomsday? in the comics, no, but in the movies I think he could. The rumours have it that Wonder Woman cut off his hand, that's not very impressive is it. She's going in with a sword but we know she's not gonna slay Doomsday, she'll probably just hold him off until Superman can get there and THUMP! WHAAM! POW! Plus with all likelihood Batman knows about Wonder Woman yet she doesn't concern him the way Superman does. We'll have to wait and see though

this idea further depresses me. I doubt they´ll "nerf" her power that drastically though, considering everyone knows she supposed to be on Superman´s level. If she ends up the weakest member of the JL, weaker than Flash and Lantern, I´m pretty sure they´ll get lampooned for it by feminist critics and fans. I think she´s gonna end up being pretty tough.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Archizooom

@jphulk26 said:

this idea further depresses me. I doubt they´ll "nerf" her power that drastically though, considering everyone knows she supposed to be on Superman´s level. If she ends up the weakest member of the JL, weaker than Flash and Lantern, I´m pretty sure they´ll get lampooned for it by feminist critics and fans. I think she´s gonna end up being pretty tough.

Only comic book fans know that and a lot of us wouldn't really care. Plus we'll go watch the movie come what may. The Mary Sue would let them off the hook provided Wonder Woman pays lip service to feminism, and that she's not some damsel in distress and/or sexually objectified. They could get away with it. We'll see.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Archizooom

@agent41: :) Just wish they were more casting announcements hitting the news now, I'm sooo hungry

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike Batman and Superman WOnder Woman doesn't have the luxury of saving her main enemy for a sequel. So I'm saying have Ares, Baroness Von Gunther, and Priscilla Rich aka The original Cheetah. After a encounter with Wonder Woman I'd be cool with Ares using his powers to turn the costumed Cheetah into this new humanoid Cheetah version that's in comics today.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if they were going into a time period, I rather it be the far more interesting WWI than the overly done WWII. WWI would make more sense in her not resolving the conflict, because there were so many different sides with different motives, that it becomes too complicated to resolve for everyone, while WWII is basic bland Axis v Allies--good v evil. WWI is much more complex, that I can see Wonder Woman struggling to find what lines to cross to find a resolution.

That said, I'd rather it all take place in modern times, as it makes her mythos relevant in the current time-frame. Placing her villains/allies in a time past quickly becomes a situation where she's just going to be defined by her role in the Justice League (ala JLU series) rather than how she interacts and interconnects with her world with the other worlds.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I was kind of hoping it would be over several time periods, that would've been unique.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They do know the successful Captain America movie was the present day one, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They do know the successful Captain America movie was the present day one, right?

This. I was expecting a modern times movie for Wonder Woman. This World War idea sounds lackluster and the movie could be a flop.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of get the impression that the WWI piece is more "flash-back" sequences than the whole movie, with parts set in more modern times as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.