Wonder Woman inspired Asian Super Heroine

#1 Edited by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

I found this Superhero named Darna via google (wiki) and apparently she's been in existence since the 50's in the country called Philippines. Her powers are very much like Diana but she calls upon this powers like Capt. Marvel (Shazam). She also deflects bullets :)

Her arch enemy is a woman very much like Medusa named Valentina.

Another country/culture has adapted/embraced the persona of the amazing Amazon Princess. Now that's definitely proof of how much an icon she is. :D

#2 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Japan also did the same thing with Superman!

This guy:

All joking aside, this is a pretty good find...I didn't know this.
#3 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Hahahaha Goku!!!

Yeah. Thanks to wikipedia you get to find things like that pretty easily :)

#4 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

The home of Marvel comics may not be so far abroad as the Philippines but they seem to have been inspired by the Amazon princess as well.

Meet Warrior Woman, who is to be featured in the pages of Fearless Defenders this year, written by Collen Bunn. Her name is Hypollita no less.

#5 Edited by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

Darna's great. My second-hand understanding is that saturation of American media is longstanding there because of military bases, which included US military broadcast networks. There's a great pic of my wife back when she was a little tot back home in Manila wearing a knockoff Wonder Woman costume for her birthday. Darna is their own classic take on American-style superheroes (most likely also influenced by local media as well) with an origin story that's like John Carter of Mars in reverse. Always sounded trippy to me.

#6 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion: Wonder Woman I reckon is the benchmark of all super heroines.

@fodigg: Ah really. Please ask your wife if she knows this poster or who the actress is. Again it's from the same country :)

#7 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, someone in Asia knocked off an American invention? Nooooo, you're pulling my leg! =P

#8 Posted by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa said:

I found this Superhero named Darna via google (wiki) and apparently she's been in existence since the 50's in the country called Philippines. Her powers are very much like Diana but she calls upon this powers like Capt. Marvel (Shazam). She also deflects bullets :)

Her arch enemy is a woman very much like Medusa named Valentina.

Another country/culture has adapted/embraced the persona of the amazing Amazon Princess. Now that's definitely proof of how much an icon she is. :D

Yeah this kind of thing is done all the time with characters around the world to adapt a hero to be relevant to a certain culture.

#9 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

Wait, someone in Asia knocked off an American invention? Nooooo, you're pulling my leg! =P

Hahaha well this time it's not made in China :)

#10 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa:

LOL

@Press Oblivion said:

The home of Marvel comics may not be so far abroad as the Philippines but they seem to have been inspired by the Amazon princess as well.

Meet Warrior Woman, who is to be featured in the pages of Fearless Defenders this year, written by Collen Bunn. Her name is Hypollita no less.

This looks cool though,

#11 Edited by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

God, she is part of her own trinity

Darna, Captain Barbell, Lastikman

Ok ... well don't forget Dyesebel ...

#12 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

Hahahaha she is indeed. So I'm guessing Capt. Barbell is Superman's match, and Lastikman for Batman? I doubt Dyesebel can match Aquaman. LOL

#13 Edited by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa said:

@drgnx said:

Hahahaha she is indeed. So I'm guessing Capt. Barbell is Superman's match, and Lastikman for Batman? I doubt Dyesebel can match Aquaman. LOL

It would have been nice but Lastikman is more like Plasticman (go figure the names are close, didn't try to sound it out before this post =P ... lol).

HE does seem to have Bat's popularity...he has his own personal on JLA!

#14 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@Goddessa said:

@drgnx said:

It would have been nice but Lastikman is more like Plasticman (go figure the names are close, didn't try to sound it out before this post =P ... lol).

HE does seem to have Bat's popularity...he has his own personal on JLA!

OMG! They actually have their own team. Hahahaha

#15 Edited by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa said:

@fodigg: Ah really. Please ask your wife if she knows this poster or who the actress is. Again it's from the same country :)

She didn't recognize it.

"Hey babe, do you know who this is?"
"Wonder Woman."
"No, the actress."
"Oh, I dunno."
"But it's from the Philippines, right?"
"I guess."
[me idly trying to read the Tagalog from the image aloud]
"Stop butchering my language."

So it was a miss. However, reverse-image look-up on google turned up the actress' wikipedia page and a bio-piece article on her.

#16 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

"Hey babe, do you know who this is?"
"Wonder Woman."
"No, the actress."
"Oh, I dunno."
"But it's from the Philippines, right?"
"I guess."
[me idly trying to read the Tagalog from the image aloud]
"Stop butchering my language."

So it was a miss. However, reverse-image look-up on google turned up the actress' wikipedia page and a bio-piece article on her.

Awesome convo with the missus :) lol Good effort tho for a having a go with her language :D

#17 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

sailor moon is also insipered in wonder woman,the costume,the tiara as a weapon,both are princesses frm an ancient civilization,they are the most powerful of their people,they fight for justice,they have a compassionate heart,etc,etc.

#18 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

This is how they're drawn to suit the Asian market.

#19 Posted by darkman61288 (715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa said:

This is how they're drawn to suit the Asian market.

I would like a better look at WW

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.