Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman has a new power....(Superman-WW 10 SPOILERS)

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No, it's not the jedi mind tricks.

She can fire blasts of energy from her bracelets now.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Firing off lightning would have made more sense since she's a daughter of Zeus now.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I see your point but that will make her an imitation of Thor even though she's more iconic than him. Besides, DC already has Shazam.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger: I see your point but that will make her an imitation of Thor even though she's more iconic than him. Besides, DC already has Shazam.

She could actually fire off lightning bolts from her bracelets Pre Flashpoint so she's used that power before.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they are just the directed-energy equivalent of Hephaestus' weapons in the bracelets.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I liked WW the way she already was but now DC is turning her into their Thor

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zhurong: Well... Lighning is Zeus' domain as much as Thor's...

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather they un-nerfed Wonder Woman's base abilities instead of giving her all these new seemingly random ones.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: Lighning based powers are non random on Zeus' daughter.

Swiss-army bracelets, though...

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather they un-nerfed Wonder Woman's base abilities instead of giving her all these new seemingly random ones.

what random ones? She's had a rich history of equipment based abilities ... everything from her bracelets and lasso to earrings that allowed her to breath in space and under water, invisible jets, the psychic radio and a I'm sure a dozen other things. It's actually one of the things I like about N52 version, she's getting some of her old school gadgets reintroduced in a modern way.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArchiZoom

@csg_cl: It surprises me to hear it because I think Hephaestus is dangerously close to being Wonder Woman's private deus ex machina. I think a planet where a japanese child can singlehandedly build self-replicating nanobots doesn't really need Wonder Woman. Batman can just don a special suit and become as invulnerable as Wonder Woman now, swallow a little strength-enhancing pill perhaps. We could build an army of remote-controlled replicas of the Grid and defend ourselves from anything. However despite this tech, in some countries people still live like animals because Superman "doesn't get involved".

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80: Zeus doesn't normally bequeath the power of the thunder to his progeny but it's conceivable, I just don't see the point of it. Being an amazon of great prowess in my opinion is the most structural part of Wonder Woman's identity so I believe her great battle skills should be the focal point of her abilities. Those skills are all Wonder Woman needs to be complete but not unless they unlock them you know

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like this for three reasons:

1. As someone already mentioned this draws too much comparison to Thor. He background and powers are already pretty similar to his, but now that she can shoot lightning at will, yeah...she's Thor. I know she came before that character, but come on. She's friggin Thor at this point.

2. The bracelets were already tools of great power, because they could deflect almost everything. But for some stupid reason they keep adding to the bracelet's power. First taking them off makes her go Super Saiyan, and now they can shoot lightning. And don't tell me her God Mode isn't Super Saiyan, she gains a power increase, has a glowing aura, and becomes bloodlusted. Yeah, that's a Super Saiyan.

3. She's already incredibly powerful, but giving her a powerful magical projectile has made her cross into OP territory in my book.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: It surprises me to hear it because I think Hephaestus is dangerously close to being Wonder Woman's private deus ex machina. I think a planet where a japanese child can singlehandedly build self-replicating nanobots doesn't really need Wonder Woman. Batman can just don a special suit and become as invulnerable as Wonder Woman now, swallow a little strength-enhancing pill perhaps. We could build an army of remote-controlled replicas of the Grid and defend ourselves from anything. However despite this tech, in some countries people still live like animals because Superman "doesn't get involved".

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Hephaestus is the Smith ... his entire existence is based on creating this stuff ... all tech based heroes have someone along these lines and Diana is no different, she's always had some of this (before it was Amazon tech, now it's godly tech) ... it's not like she gets something new in every issue, including this last one, she's just putting the bracelet tinkering Hephaestus did to creative use.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I'm not sure what the explanation will be here but I always thought that when the explanation of her powers was psionic training that she should have been able to use that to shoot off blast of energy. If she could use the ability to use psionic energy to shield herself from attacks, or to make herself fly then it would stand ro reason that she could use them in other ways too. Of course her pre-crisis powers weren't explained exactly like that anyways that's just how I interpreted them.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Firing off lightning would have made more sense since she's a daughter of Zeus now.

I would love this to happen.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Klaus

@mpfly88: Actually, Wonder Womans bracelets arent the source of her god-mode. Her god-mode is WWs true state. She doesn't get amped, she goes back to full power. The bracelets work by weaking her. Just like Goku with black hair is his normal state, WW without her bracelets is her normal state oh and she doesn't become bloodlusted. She doesn't even get angrier. She is in complete control and has morals as seen in Superman/Wonder Woman #9.

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

@mpfly88: Actually, Wonder Womans bracelets arent the source of her god-mode. Her god-mode is WWs true state. She doesn't get amped, she goes back to full power. The bracelets work by weaking her. Just like Goku with black hair is his normal state, WW without her bracelets is her normal state oh and she doesn't become bloodlusted. She doesn't even get angrier. She is in complete control and has morals as seen in Superman/Wonder Woman #9.

I know that, but it's one more ability that's relevant to her bracelets is what I meant.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus:

So it's official then. Everytime WW fights with her bracelets on = Wonder Woman holding back.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Klaus

@grandwonder: Yeah. She even said herself "my cuffs arent for my protection, their for yours"

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpfly88: the bracelet removal is actually an older concept Azzarello has brought back with a twist. In the old days if she removed her bracelets she would gain 10x strength, but fly into a rage. Obviously the divinity-dampening is new and specific to the Daughter of Zeus. But I like it as it gives the bracelets purpose beyond the obvious warrior equipment.

I don't buy into the whole OP thought process in general ... People seem to be constantly whining that SM is OP ... I tend to think most heroes end up being as powerful as they need to be to complete the story. Batman is far beyond natural human capabilities, yet we all claim he is "peak" human, superman has more abilities than we can count, Diana has magic equipment that has multiple capabilities ... Nature of comics is to make heroes stronger over time

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't like it. Couldn't they just have had her throw a throwing knife? Same effect, less stupid.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't mind it at all.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

She's still the official god of war now, right? Wouldn't that upgrade include some more robust powers?

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GrandWonder

@fodigg:

Yeah. She should be empowered by combat just like the old Ares would.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really mad at this, but randomly giving her this power is just stupid. She is wonder woman what does she need energy blasts for? Wonder Woman is a warrior she shouldn't use energy blasts...

Maybe this is just a one off thing..

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GrandWonder

@jayc1324:

I prefer they show her martial arts skill more than firing energy blasts.

Also tough luck, it seems this is not a "one off thing" because it happened twice in the same issue, lol.

1. It SEEMS her bracelets absorbed the psionic attack by Lois/Brainiac and fired it back as a blast of energy. It doesn't seem to be a deflection.

2. She created an energy spear and throwed it against Metallo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grandwonder: the energy spear is cool. As the goddess of war she should be able to create weapons.

The psionic attack is not as cool though. Her bracelets shouldn't be able to do that.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324:

Well, this is the New 52 and nothing has been established yet. Shouldn't, couldn't, wouldn't, lol. I like that she should, could and would.

Also, before the New 52, she could block the Silver Swan's sonic attack which is capable of levelling cities. So it's not really something new.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just hope they do not make her so strong they write her out of any good story. Goku got the point he no longer needed his team , that was a sad moment the team was part of the draw. Why change her so much she is no longer enjoyable what so ever. Are we making another doomsday character only this time female? Have we made Wonder Women into the female Doomsday? Has it come to this to make fans happy that they have destroyed everything good about the character of WW. One of her problems was she changed so much from comic to comic you could not track the character and fans just got fed up. By trying to please everybody nobody is pleased. I want to read Superman and Wonder Women not Superman and Lois Lane whom seems to crop up in every single adventure the two have and mess it all up. Like the one where Lois became WW at the end like wow... Really very bad this is like paying for steak and eggs and at the end of the meal when you almost done you find out it was soy beans just looking like steak and eggs. Story story story I have a feeling people are afraid that this pair is so good that they just refuse to show it. The team like Adam and Eve only somebody would say.. oh hell no Eve and Adam hell who is this Adam dude? Good stories , great stories , any story begins and ends and then another one some day takes and does it again. No I say , nay says I truly a sad moment when you toss out the box and just stop thinking. Dreams are started in comics and brought to life on the big screen. Superman flew , Thor and Loki came to earth and Wonder Women said... I have found my soul in your faith or has she? Has any of us even been aware we have one or have we lost that as well.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr:

No, no and no.

I still think she's underpowered. I mean she's the god of war. I expect no less.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she is not the god of war... they put that in a story. They have a god of war already. let him do his job.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she is not the god of war... they put that in a story. They have a god of war already. let him do his job.

well she killed the old GoW and took his place, so yes, she is the GoW now.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: oh so in this story she killed the current god of war to take his place and become the current god of war...oh I see why did you not say that in the first place I mean hell I just did not see that coming.

hope he heals I bet that shizzle can cause a scar or two.

Death that is.

Guess there is no place left to go after killing the god of war. Wonder what the unemployment benefits he draws from ex god of war are? Does he have to look right away for a job or can he just relax a bit?

Only time will tell. Hope he had a good 401k plan. I bet Zeus had some plan in effect will hook him up...

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: oh so in this story she killed the current god of war to take his place and become the current god of war...oh I see why did you not say that in the first place I mean hell I just did not see that coming.

hope he heals I bet that shizzle can cause a scar or two.

Death that is.

Guess there is no place left to go after killing the god of war. Wonder what the unemployment benefits he draws from ex god of war are? Does he have to look right away for a job or can he just relax a bit?

Only time will tell. Hope he had a good 401k plan. I bet Zeus had some plan in effect will hook him up...

?? you lost me here

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

was just pointing out that once you went to the top no place to go but down from that point is all.

I think they went and jumped the sharks on that one but then again I stopped reading WW comics when they went and got all crazy and could not figure out whom she was. Change after change I was like a person caught up in a tornado with no storm cellar to run to. Even today fans are like super fast , strong and child bearing hips got to have those child bearing hips I swear she make a good racer yet... Darn tooten right. ( does not work without the accent) The WW comic itself is geared toward more the female group so I stay clear of that but in JLA she is a welcome member and holds her own. A trusted member of the team. Like any team member they will not always be every place at the same time. So when people say why do they need each other? I say it is because they do not know everything going on all over the world at all times and bad guys believe it or not have super powers to. This is why they are called super villains. Plus a point I would like to bring up and not to often pointed out. Evil people do things so fast that if your not super or anything you miss the chance to save a life. School shootings , genocide etc etc etc. All super villains aside.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GrandWonder

@csg_cl: ?? you lost me here

Don't even bother.

Edited my post. Thanks for clarifying the god of war issue.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: ?? you lost me here

Don't even bother.

Edited my post. Thanks for clarifying the god of war issue.

yeah ... gonna stay away from that one ... I'm not even sure I know what the heck he's trying to say!

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lmao sometimes I think that to.. what was I trying to say. Then I sit back and eat a kit kat and think... oh well shizzle I said it and I stand behind it... Still trying to figure out what it was I said...

Not really important like most post will vanish to the past and be forgotten.... lol like any story in do time. The best , the worse , and the plane Jane stories you just want to skip pages on and get to the end. Like you do with movies on netflix...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.